- Improved ethanol precipitation of DNA
Area de Genetica, Departamento de Parasitologia, Ecologia y Genetica, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de La Laguna, Avenida Astrofísico Francisco Sánchez, Tenerife, Spain
Electrophoresis 31:1350-2. 2010
..It uses a mixture of 70% ethanol, 75 mM ammonium acetate and different concentrations of different carriers to perform DNA precipitation and washing in only one step...
- HaploSearch: a tool for haplotype-sequence two-way transformation
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, University of La Laguna, La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Mitochondrion 11:366-7. 2011
..Although designed for mitochondrial DNA, HaploSearch could be used with any kind of DNA type. HaploSearch program, detailed software instructions and example files are freely available on the web http://www.haplosite.com/haplosearch/...
- Demographic history of Canary Islands male gene-pool: replacement of native lineages by European
Department of Genetics, University of La Laguna, Avda Astrofísico Fco, Sánchez, La Laguna, 38271 Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
BMC Evol Biol 9:181. 2009
- Temporal evolution of the ABO allele frequencies in the Canary Islands: the impact of the European colonization
Department of Genetics, University of La Laguna, Avda Astrofísico Fco Sánchez, S N, 38271 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Immunogenetics 61:603-10. 2009
..The historical sample shows a congruent intermediate position testifying already a strong European influence that would go in augment since then to present times, affecting all the islands with the important exception of La Gomera...
- The maternal aborigine colonization of La Palma (Canary Islands)
Departamento de Genetica, Facultad de Biologia, Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Eur J Hum Genet 17:1314-24. 2009
..Our data better fit to an island model with frequent migrations between islands...
- Mitochondrial DNA diversity in 17th-18th century remains from Tenerife (Canary Islands)
Departamento de Genetica, Universidad de La Laguna, 38271 La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Am J Phys Anthropol 127:418-26. 2005
..59%), has also decreased due to European input. Finally, the presence of Amerindian lineages (1.5%) reveals that the Canary Islands have also received genetic flow from America...
- The loss of functional caspase-12 in Europe is a pre-neolithic event
Department of Genetics, Physical Anthropology and Animal Physiology, University of the Basque Country, Leioa, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e37022. 2012
..Out of 50, 24 prehistoric individuals could finally be genotyped for rs497116. Only the inactive form of CASP12 was found...
- Extraction of high-quality host DNA from feces and regurgitated seeds: a useful tool for vertebrate ecological studies
Grupo de Ecología y Evolución en Islas, IPNA CSIC, La Laguna E 38206, Tenerife, Islas Canarias, Spain
Biol Res 42:147-51. 2009
..Moreover, DNA of two bird species was identified from seeds expelled by regurgitation. Therefore, this method may be suitable for future ecological studies of birds, and other vertebrate groups...
- Description of a simple multiplex PCR-SSCP method for AB0 genotyping and its application to the peopling of the Canary Islands
Departamento de Genetica, Facultad de BiologíaFacultad de Biología, Universidad de La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Immunogenetics 57:572-8. 2005
..Similar to previous autosomal studies, admixture estimations point to a major Iberian contribution (82 +/- 0.5%) to the Canary Islands, although, in some islands as La Gomera, the NW African component raised to 62 +/- 4.3%...
- Multiple ethnic origins of mitochondrial DNA lineages for the population of Mauritius
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Medicine, University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, Spain Department of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, University of La Laguna, La Laguna, Spain Department of Anthropology, Stanford University, Stanford, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 9:e93294. 2014
..Moreover, the analysis of lineages related to the slave trade demonstrated that Madagascar and East Asia were the main centres of origin, with less influence from West Africa. ..
- The history of the North African mitochondrial DNA haplogroup U6 gene flow into the African, Eurasian and American continents
Department of Genetics, Faculty of Biology, Universidad de La Laguna, La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
BMC Evol Biol 14:109. 2014
..Human mitochondrial DNA haplogroup U6 has been considered as a molecular signal of a Paleolithic return to North Africa of modern humans from southwestern Asia...
- Ancient DNA from hunter-gatherer and farmer groups from Northern Spain supports a random dispersion model for the Neolithic expansion into Europe
Department of Genetics, Physical Anthropology and Animal Physiology, University of the Basque Country, Bizkaia, Spain
PLoS ONE 7:e34417. 2012
..In the present study, we have analyzed the mitochondrial DNA diversity in hunter-gatherers and first farmers from Northern Spain, in relation to the debate surrounding the phenomenon of Neolithisation in Europe...