- Towards a new taxonomy of idiopathic orofacial painAlain Woda
EA 3847, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, CHU Clermont Ferrand 63000, France
Pain 116:396-406. 2005..These data provide grounds for an evidence-based classification of idiopathic facial pain entities and indicate that the current sub-classification of these syndromes relies primarily on the topography of the symptoms...
- Adaptation of healthy mastication to factors pertaining to the individual or to the foodA Woda
DIDO, Dental Faculty, University of Auvergne, 11 Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Physiol Behav 89:28-35. 2006..The objective of this review is to provide an overview of the variations of the measured masticatory variables that occur when mastication adapts to changes in characteristics of the individual or the food...
- The challenge of mastication: preparing a bolus suitable for deglutitionAnne Mishellany
Déficiences, Incapacités et Désavantages en Santé Orale, DIDO, Faculté Dentaire, Clermont Ferrand, France
Dysphagia 21:87-94. 2006..This suggests that the bolus structure reflects a key factor for homeostasis and explains the large interindividual variability of the mastication physiologic parameters...
- Retro-nasal aroma release is correlated with variations in the in-mouth air cavity volume after empty deglutitionAnne Mishellany-Dutour
Dental Faculty, Equipe d Accueil 3847, Centre de Recherche en Odontologie Clinique, Clermont Ferrand, France
PLoS ONE 7:e41276. 2012..These results show that the in vivo aroma release profile in humans depends closely on the different motor patterns at work during empty deglutition...
- The regulation of masticatory function and food bolus formationA Woda
DIDO, EA 3847, Faculté Dentaire, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Oral Rehabil 33:840-9. 2006..The food boluses made by denture wearers thus contain many large-size particles. The impaired mastication observed in denture wearers approaches the masticatory disabilities found in persons with neuromotor deficiencies...
- [Nociception and chronic oral and cervicofacial pain]A Woda
Faculté Dentaire, EA3847, DIDO, Universite d Auvergne, UFR d Odontologie, 11, Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Ann Otolaryngol Chir Cervicofac 124:S2-S10. 2007..Finally, certain psychosocial factors that may facilitate chronic pain arousal are discussed...
- Steroid dysregulation and stomatodynia (burning mouth syndrome)Alain Woda
Department of Endodontic and Restorative Dentistry, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Orofac Pain 23:202-10. 2009..These neuropathic changes become irreversible and precipitate the burning pain, dysgeusia, and xerostomia associated with stomatodynia, which all involve thin nerve fibers...
- Pain in the trigeminal system: from orofacial nociception to neural network modelingA Woda
université d Auvergne Clermont 1, INSERM E 0216, U F R d Odontologie, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, 11, Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Dent Res 82:764-8. 2003
- The masticatory normative indicatorA Woda
université Clermont 1, EA 3847, Faculty of Dentistry, 11 Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Dent Res 89:281-5. 2010....
- [Orofacial idiopathic pain: clinical signs, causes and mechanisms]A Woda
Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale, U F R d Odontologie Université d Auvergne, U F R d Odontologie 11, Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Fd, France
Rev Neurol (Paris) 157:265-83. 2001..Indeed, each of these mechanisms can be observed in all types of orofacial idiopathic pain. This leads to the hypothesis that these different mechanisms may act on each target tissue but the details of interaction are still unknown...
- Low doses of N-methyl-D-aspartate antagonists in superficial laminae of medulla oblongata facilitate wind-up of convergent neuronesA Woda
université d Auvergne Clermont 1, U F R d Odontologie, Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale Faculté de Chirurgie Dentaire, 11 Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Neuroscience 107:317-27. 2001....
- A unified concept of idiopathic orofacial pain: pathophysiologic featuresA Woda
Université d Auvergne Clermont 1 Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale U F R d Odontologie 11, bd Charles de Gaulle 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Orofac Pain 14:196-212. 2000....
- Regulation of mandibular postures: mechanisms and clinical implicationsA Woda
Universite d Auvergne, Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, UFR d Odontologie, Clermont Ferrand, France
Crit Rev Oral Biol Med 12:166-78. 2001..However, some physiological conditions exist that facilitate the recording of craniomandibular position...
- A unified concept of idiopathic orofacial pain: clinical featuresA Woda
Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro faciale University of Auvergne U F R d Odontologie Clermont Ferrand, France
J Orofac Pain 13:172-84; discussion 185-95. 1999..Each of these entities belongs to a group of idiopathic orofacial pain and could be expressed in either the jaws, the buccal mucosa, the teeth, the masticatory muscles, or the TMJ...
- Effect of texture of plastic and elastic model foods on the parameters of masticationK D Foster
Déficience, Incapacité et Désavantage en Sauté Ozole, Dental Faculty, University of Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Neurophysiol 95:3469-79. 2006....
- Effects of increased hardness on jaw movement and muscle activity during chewing of visco-elastic model foodsM A Peyron
GEPTA, Unité associée INRA, Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale, U F R d Odontologie, 11 Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Exp Brain Res 142:41-51. 2002..As inferred from these parameter recordings, the food hardness modifications were strongest during the first five strokes, began as early as the first stroke and lasted for the whole sequence...
- Changes in mastication after an immediate loading implantation with complete fixed rehabilitationJ L Veyrune
Clermont University, University of Auvergne, CROC EA 4847, Clermont Ferrand, France
Clin Oral Investig 17:1127-34. 2013..This study aimed to measure modifications of mastication after immediate loading full-arch prosthesis (ILFAP) rehabilitation...
- Superficial and deep convergent nociceptive neurons are differentially affected by N-methyl-D-aspartate applied on the brainstem surface of the rat medullary dorsal hornP Luccarini
Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale, UFR d Odontologie, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
Neuroscience 107:311-6. 2001..These results provide evidence for a possible inhibitory role for NMDA-dependent interneurons of the superficial laminae of the medullary dorsal horn on the nociceptive activity of deep convergent neurons...
- Is the tongue position influenced by the palatal vault dimensions?P Bourdiol
Equipe d Accueil 3847, Unité de Formation et de Recherche en Odontologie, Université d Auvergne Clermont1, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Oral Rehabil 37:100-6. 2010..It was thus assumed that the height of the palatal vault could influence the most observed position of the tongue but this does not exclude a possible growth influence of the tongue on its surrounding skeletal structures...
- Mood-induced variations of mandible and tongue posturesP Bourdiol
Dental Faculty, EA 4847, CROC, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Oral Rehabil 40:443-9. 2013....
- Effects of lesions in the trigeminal oralis and caudalis subnuclei on different orofacial nociceptive responses in the ratP Luccarini
Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale, U F R d Odontologie, Universite d Auvergne, 11 Bd Charles de Gaulle, 63000, Clermont Ferrand, France
Brain Res 803:79-85. 1998....
- A human oral capsaicin pain model to assess topical anesthetic-analgesic drugsP I Ngom
Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro-Faciale, , 11 Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont-Ferrand, France
Neurosci Lett 316:149-52. 2001..This effect was rapid, reversible and dose dependent. It is concluded that the oral capsaicin pain model displays good reliability and sensitivity and allows safe evaluation of candidate topical analgesic and anesthetic drugs...
- Development and validation of a mastication simulatorA Woda
Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, EA 3847, Déficiences incapacités et désavantages en santé orale, BP 10448, F 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Biomech 43:1667-73. 2010..Our results showed that AM2 mimicked human masticatory behavior, producing a food bolus with similar granulometric characteristics...
- Evaluation of a dental benefit plan for children conducted in Auvergne, France, since 1992S Tubert-Jeannin
Laboratory of Oral Preventive Medicine, School of Dentistry, University of Clermont Ferrand, France
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 26:272-82. 1998..Moreover, the plan did not provide an incentive for dentists to develop office-based preventive activities...
- Effect of lingual nerve block on burning mouth syndrome (stomatodynia): a randomized crossover trialChristelle Gremeau-Richard
INSERM U 929, Clermont Ferrand, France
Pain 149:27-32. 2010..Topical application of clonazepam and HAD may serve as indicators of which mechanism is dominating...
- Topical clonazepam in stomatodynia: a randomised placebo-controlled studyChristelle Gremeau-Richard
INSERM E 0216, Neurobiologie de la douleur trigeminale, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, CHU Clermont Ferrand, Clermont Ferrand 63000, France
Pain 108:51-7. 2004..It is hypothesised that clonazepam acts locally to disrupt the mechanism(s) underlying stomatodynia...
- [Neurobiology of trigeminal pain]Radhouane Dallel
INSERM E 0216, Neurobiologie de la douleur trigeminale, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, 11, Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Med Sci (Paris) 19:567-74. 2003..The dysfunction of these multiple modulatory mechanisms probably plays a key role in the pathophysiology of chronic trigeminal pain...
- Tongue-mandible coupling movements during saliva swallowingP Bourdiol
Equipe d accueil 4847, Centre de Recherche en Odontologie Clinique, Clermont Universite, Universite d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France Service d odontologie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Oral Rehabil 41:199-205. 2014....
- A description of oral health in three French jailsN Decerle
Universite d Auvergne, Centre de Recherche en Odontologie Clinique, Clermont Ferrand, France
Community Dent Health 29:274-8. 2012..The oral health of prisoners is handled by different care providers such as hospital doctors together with some students, interns, and some dedicated dental practitioners. There are few data describing the outcomes of this activity...
- Substantiation of an artificial saliva formulated for use in a masticatory apparatusV Roger-Leroi
lermont Université, Univ d Auvergne, EA 3847, Déficiences incapacités et désavantages en santé orale, Clermont Ferrand, France
Odontostomatol Trop 35:5-14. 2012..Therefore the proposed artificial saliva satisfies the major requirement of viscosity for a use in the masticator apparatus designed to prepare a food bolus...
- Ascending connections from the caudal part to the oral part of the spinal trigeminal nucleus in the ratD L Voisin
Laboratoire de Physiologie Oro Faciale, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, 11 Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Neuroscience 109:183-93. 2002..They provide an anatomical substrate for the indirect activation of trigeminal oral subnucleus neurones by somatosensory stimuli through the caudal subnucleus...
- Gonadectomy induces site-specific differences in nociception in ratsJ Pajot
Recherche Universite D Auvergne, 11, Bd Charles de Gualle, Clermont Ferrand, France
Pain 104:367-73. 2003....
- Impact of teaching requirements for students on the activity of a university dental hospitalV Collado
Department of Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, Clermont Ferrand, France
Eur J Dent Educ 8:161-6. 2004..This study aimed at investigating the influence of teaching requirements on the clinical activity of a dental hospital...
- Biometric analysis of tooth migration after approximal contact removal in the ratD Roux
Laboratoire de Physiologie Orofaciale, U F R d Odontologie, Clermont Ferrand, France
Arch Oral Biol 39:1023-7. 1994..It was concluded that, in the rat, a mesial drift exists that can be induced by the loss of approximal contact. This movement is distinct from the distal physiological dental migration classically described in histological studies...
- Effect of occlusal appliance wear on chewing in persons with Down syndromeMarie Noëlle Mazille
université Clermont 1, EA 3847, Faculty of Dentistry, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France CHU Clermont Ferrand, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Physiol Behav 93:919-29. 2008....
- Bidirectional modulation of windup by NMDA receptors in the rat spinal trigeminal nucleusAlain Woda
Inserm E216 Neurobiologie de la douleur trigéminale, Faculte de Chirurgie Dentaire, 11 Boulevard Charles de Gaulle, 63000 Clermont Ferrand, France
Eur J Neurosci 19:2009-16. 2004..Working together, the two mechanisms may provide a fine tuning of gain in pain...
- Effect of a jig on EMG activity in different orofacial pain conditionsCeline Bodere
Faculté d Odontologie, Brest, France
Int J Prosthodont 21:253-8. 2008..However, the reason for the jig effect has yet to be explained. This study tested the hypothesis that it works through a decrease in masticatory muscle activity...
- Mechanisms associated with unusual orofacial painGilles Lavigne
Quebec Oral Health Research Network FRSQ, Faculties of Dentistry and Medicine Université de Montréal Montreal, Quebec, Canada
J Orofac Pain 19:9-21. 2005....
- Influence of age on adaptability of human masticationMarie Agnès Peyron
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Station de Recherches sur la Viande, Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Neurophysiol 92:773-9. 2004..We concluded that although the number of cycles needed to chew a standard piece of food increases progressively with age, the capacity to adapt to changes in the hardness of food is maintained...
- Is the goal of mastication reached in young dentates, aged dentates and aged denture wearers?Anne Mishellany-Dutour
Univ Clermont 1, UFR Odontologie EA3847, Clermont Ferrand F 63000, France
Br J Nutr 99:121-8. 2008..Masticatory function was thus adapted to ageing, but was impaired in denture wearers, who failed to adapt fully to their deficient masticatory apparatus...
- Activity of masticatory muscles in subjects with different orofacial pain conditionsCeline Bodere
Faculté d Odontologie, rue Camille Desmoulins, 29200 Brest, France
Pain 116:33-41. 2005..The contrast between the increased EMG activity at rest and the reduction of the masseteric reflex amplitude may reflect modulations of motoneurones that differed in tonic versus phasic conditions in chronic pain patients...
- "Making sense of food" Wageningen Centre for Food Sciences Food Summit December 14-16, 2005 Wageningen, The NetherlandsAlain Woda
J Orofac Pain 20:249-50. 2006
- Influence of impaired mastication on nutritionPapa Ibrahima N'gom
Laboratory of Oro facial Physiology, Faculty of Dentistry, University of Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Prosthet Dent 87:667-73. 2002..In particular, data supporting a link between masticatory function and deficient dietary intake often are based on relatively weak correlations and cannot confer a causal relationship...
- Psychologic versus somatic? Is it a pertinent alternative?Alain Woda
J Orofac Pain 21:85-6. 2007
- A step toward setting norms: comments on the occlusal interfaceAlain Woda
Dental Faculty, University of Clermont Ferrand, France
Int J Prosthodont 18:313-5. 2005