- [Sleep apnea syndrome: background; epidemiology]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, , Strasbourg
Rev Mal Respir 21:S7-12. 2004
- Sleep and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg, France
Sleep Med Rev 8:281-94. 2004..At present data are not sufficient for justifying the use of isolated nocturnal oxygen therapy in COPD patients with nocturnal desaturation but with mild daytime hypoxaemia (PaO2 > 60 mmHg)...
- Obstructive sleep apnea syndrome and the pulmonary circulationEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Division of Pneumology, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
Ital Heart J 6:795-8. 2005....
- Chronic cor pulmonaleEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Heart 89:225-30. 2003
- [Obesity-hypoventilation syndrome]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie,
Rev Mal Respir 23:7S65-7S67. 2006
- [The Overlap Syndrome: association of COPD and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Nouvel Hopital Civil, CHU de Strasbourg, 1, Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Mal Respir 27:329-40. 2010..Patients who are markedly hypoxaemic during the daytime (PaO(2)<55-60 mmHg) should be given conventional long-term O(2) therapy in addition to nocturnal ventilation...
- Overlap syndrome: obstructive sleep apnea in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Departement de Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaries de Strasbourg, France
Proc Am Thorac Soc 5:237-41. 2008..Patients who are markedly hypoxemic during daytime (Pa(O(2)) < 55-60 mm Hg) should be given conventional long-term O(2) therapy in addition to nocturnal ventilation...
- [Obesity-hypoventilation syndrome]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Pôle de Pathologie Thoracique, Hopital de Hautepierre, CHU de Strasbourg, France
Rev Mal Respir 25:391-403. 2008..It is defined as chronic alveolar hypoventilation (PaO2<70 mmHg, PaCO2 > or =45 mmHg) in obese patients (body mass index>30 kg/m2) who have no other respiratory disease explaining the hypoxemia-hypercapnia...
- [Pulmonary function tests in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Emmanuel Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Nouvel Hopital Civil, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg Cedex, France
Presse Med 38:421-31. 2009..Measurement of CO transfer capacity is recommended in the presence of emphysema; cardiopulmonary exercise testing (bicycle) is recommended before initiating exercise training...
- Pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and interstitial lung diseasesEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Department of Pulmonology, Nouvel Hopital Civil, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 30:458-70. 2009..quot;New" vasodilator drugs have rarely been used in COPD and ILD patients exhibiting severe PH. In advanced ILD the presence of PH is a supplemental argument for considering lung transplantation...
- Cor pulmonaleE Weitzenblum
University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Chron Respir Dis 6:177-85. 2009..Vasodilators (prostacyclin, endothelin receptor antagonists, sildenafil, nitric oxide) could be considered in patients with severe PH but controlled studies in this field are presently lacking...
- [Physiological functional tests to evaluate pulmonary arterial hypertension]A Chaouat
Departement de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
Rev Mal Respir 22:991-7. 2005..Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a rare and complex disease, which requires careful diagnostic evaluation...
- The obesity-hypoventilation syndrome revisited: a prospective study of 34 consecutive casesR Kessler
Department of Pulmonology and Sleep Laboratory, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Chest 120:369-76. 2001..We compare also OHS patients with a group of patients with the association of OSAS and COPD, also known as "overlap" patients...
- Outcome of COPD patients with mild daytime hypoxaemia with or without sleep-related oxygen desaturationA Chaouat
Dept of Pneumology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Eur Respir J 17:848-55. 2001..Such isolated nocturnal hypoxaemia or sleep-related worsening of moderate daytime hypoxaemia does not appear to favour the development of pulmonary hypertension, nor to lead to worsening of daytime blood gases...
- [Pulmonary hypertension associated with disorders of the respiratory system]A Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg
Presse Med 34:1465-74. 2005..Oxygen therapy (at least 16 h/day) is currently the best treatment for this type of pulmonary arterial hypertension...
- Drug therapy of sleep-related hypoxaemiaE Weitzenblum
University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Lung 168:948-54. 1990..It must be emphasized that almitrine is ineffective in about 25% of COPD patients ("nonresponders") and that almitrine can be used with conventional O2 therapy in patients with severe hypoxemia (daytime PaO2 less than 55 mmHg)...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and sleep apnea syndromeE Weitzenblum
Department of Pulmonology, , France
Sleep 15:S33-5. 1992..We conclude that the risk of developing respiratory insufficiency and cor pulmonale is higher in overlap patients...
- One year treatment with almitrine improves hypoxaemia but does not increase pulmonary artery pressure in COPD patientsE Weitzenblum
Hopital Universitaire, Strasbourg, France
Eur Respir J 4:1215-22. 1991..Pulmonary artery mean pressure (PAP) was stable in both groups: from 26.8 +/- 2.1 to 25.4 +/- 1.9 mmHg in group A, and from 20.6 +/- 1.1 to 20.9 +/- 1.5 mmHg in group P.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- [Alveolar hypoventilation in the obese: the obesity-hypoventilation syndrome]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, , 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Pneumol Clin 58:83-90. 2002..It should be recalled that the term Pickwickian syndrome designates obesity-hypoventilation syndrome (with or without obstructive apnea) and not obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- "Natural history" of pulmonary hypertension in a series of 131 patients with chronic obstructive lung diseaseR Kessler
Service de Pneumologie, , , 67 200 Strasbourg, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:219-24. 2001..However, in individual cases, the models of linear or logistic regression do not allow a pertinent prediction of the level of Ppa or the presence of PH at the second right heart catheterization...
- [Long-term oxygen therapy for chronic respiratory failure. Rationale, indications, modalities]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, hôpital universitaire de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Pneumol Clin 58:195-212. 2002..Patient compliance is however often insufficient. In addition to education, the best way to improve patient participation is to strive for improved quality of life with oxygen therapy (portable device, liquid oxygen) in these patients...
- Plasma DNA microsatellite panel as sensitive and tumor-specific marker in lung cancer patientsMichèle Beau-Faller
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Biologie Moĺculaire, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Int J Cancer 105:361-70. 2003..Analysis of plasma DNA using this targeted panel could be a valuable noninvasive test and a useful tool to monitor disease progression without assessing the tumor...
- Renal hyporesponsiveness to brain natriuretic peptide: both generation and renal activity of cGMP are decreased in patients with pulmonary hypertensionAnne Charloux
Institut de Physiologie, Service de Physiologie et d Explorations Fonctionnelles et EA 3072, 4 rue Kirschleger, 67085 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Peptides 27:2993-9. 2006..Therefore, PH patients hyporesponsiveness to cardiac natriuretic peptides is likely located both upstream and downstream cGMP generation. Natriuretic peptide signalling pathway disruptions might be accessible to therapy...
- Severe pulmonary hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAri Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Avenue Moliere, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:189-94. 2005..Severe pulmonary hypertension occurs occasionally in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but no detailed description of these patients is available...
- Correlation between high-resolution computed tomography findings and lung function in pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosisMatthieu Canuet
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Respiration 74:640-6. 2007..The correlation between high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT) findings and lung function have not been studied in depth...
- [COPD: from early symptoms to chronic respiratory failure]Romain Kessler
Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg 2
Rev Prat 54:1414-8. 2004..Each smoker has to be considered as potentially having COPD. Lung function measurements are required in these patients...
- Evaluation of unattended automated titration to determine therapeutic continuous positive airway pressure in patients with obstructive sleep apneaRomain Kessler
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, France
Chest 123:704-10. 2003..The aims of the present study were to compare two different devices for automated titration and to verify if unattended automated titration is a feasible strategy to determine the therapeutic CPAP...
- Reduced pulsatility does not explain renal hyporesponsiveness to cardiac natriuretic peptides in pulmonary hypertensionAnne Charloux
Laboratoire des Regulations Physiologiques et des Rythmes Biologiques chez l Homme, Institut de Physiologie, 4 rue Kirschleger, 67085 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Peptides 27:864-70. 2006..In PH patients, the decrease in ANP-BNP renal efficiency is not attributable to a loss of the rhythmic pulsatility of these hormones...
- [Therapeutic management of primary pulmonary hypertension]A Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, 1 Avenue Moliere, F67098 Strasbourg
Presse Med 31:320-8. 2002..If epoprostenol fails or provokes severe side effects, pulmonary or cardio-pulmonary transplantation should be envisaged...
- Procoagulant membrane microparticles correlate with the severity of pulmonary arterial hypertensionBabe Bakouboula
Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Fédération de cardiologie, Strasbourg, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 177:536-43. 2008..Procoagulant microparticles constitute valuable hallmarks of cell damage. Microparticles also behave as cellular effectors...
- [Pleural effusion complicating a totally implanted venous device]A Blanc
Service de Pneumologie, , Strasbourg, France
Rev Mal Respir 23:363-6. 2006..Pleural aspiration yielded 1400 mls of watery fluid. Injection of contrast into the TIVD confirmed intra-pleural extravasation.CONCLUSION: When using a TIVD it is important to bear in mind the possibility of late pleural complications...
- Endoglin germline mutation in a patient with hereditary haemorrhagic telangiectasia and dexfenfluramine associated pulmonary arterial hypertensionA Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
Thorax 59:446-8. 2004..This report highlights the critical role of the TGF-beta signalling pathway in this condition...
- [Pulmonary artery hypertension]A Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, , Strasbourg
Rev Mal Respir 19:S61-74. 2002
- [Sequential administration of a reduced dose of almitrine to patients with chronic obstructive bronchopneumopathies. A controlled multicenter study]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, CHRU, Strasbourg
Rev Mal Respir 9:455-63. 1992..001). The outcome of the neurological and electrophysiological assessments did not show any significant difference between the two groups.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- [Coagulation disorders and arterial thromboembolic events in non-small-cell lung cancer. A case report]A Blanc
Service de Pneumologie, , BP 426, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex
Rev Pneumol Clin 60:175-9. 2004..The role of anticancer chemotherapy as a favoring factor for thromboembolic events is also emphasized in patients with non-small-cell lung cancer...
- Dry powder ipratropium bromide is as safe and effective as metered-dose inhaler formulation: a cumulative dose-response study in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease patientsAntoine Cuvelier
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Bois Guillaume, CHU de Rouen 76031 Rouen Cedex, France
Respir Care 47:159-66. 2002..The new lactose powder formulation of ipratropium bromide inhaled via the breath-activated DPI is a safe and effective alternative to the chlorofluorocarbon-propelled MDI...
- [Use of linezolid for the treatment of lung infections in adults with cystic fibrosis.]D Betton
Service de Pharmacie, , , , 67097 Strasbourg Cedex
Rev Pneumol Clin 62:374-8. 2006..Writing internal guidelines for our department has enabled standardized use: 600 mg b.i.d. p.o. for 14 days as second-line treatment for bronchial exacerbation of S. aureus infection...
- Allelic imbalance at loci containing FGFR, FGF, c-Met and HGF candidate genes in non-small cell lung cancer sub-types, implication for progressionM Beau-Faller
, , , 67000 Strasbourg, France
Eur J Cancer 39:2538-47. 2003..Finally, alterations at loci containing FGFR and HGF candidate genes were inversely correlated to the lymph node status in SQC and ADC, respectively...
- Interleukin-6 gene polymorphism confers susceptibility to pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseSaadia Eddahibi
, , Creteil, France
Proc Am Thorac Soc 3:475-476. 2006
- Pulmonary arterial hypertension in France: results from a national registryMarc Humbert
UPRES EA 2705, Service de Pneumologie et Reanimation Respiratoire, Hopital Antoine Beclere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris Sud, 157 rue de la Porte de Trivaux, 92140 Clamart, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 173:1023-30. 2006..Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is an orphan disease for which the trend is for management in designated centers with multidisciplinary teams working in a shared-care approach...
- Severe pulmonary hypertension in COPD: is it a distinct disease?Emmanuel Weitzenblum
Chest 127:1480-2. 2005
- Spontaneous short-term variations of circulating endothelin-1 in pulmonary hypertensionAnne Charloux
Transl Res 151:119-21. 2008....