Genomes and Genes
- Impact of an obesogenic diet program on bone densitometry, micro architecture and metabolism in male ratMaude Gerbaix
Laboratoire des Adaptations Métaboliques à l Exercice en conditions Physiologiques et Pathologiques, Clermont Universite, Universite Blaise Pascal, EA 3533, BP 80026, F 63171, Aubiere Cedex, France
Lipids Health Dis 11:91. 2012..An ANCOVA with global mass and global fat as covariates was used to determine the potential implication of the resulting mechanical loading on bone...
- Sex hormones and their receptors in bone homeostasis: insights from genetically modified mouse modelsL Vico
Universite de Lyon, INSERM, U890, Université Jean Monnet, St Etienne, 42023, France
Osteoporos Int 21:365-72. 2010..More investigations are needed to fully understand the respective role of all these receptors in periosteal expansion in both sexes and the way they affect the mechanical sensitivity of the periosteum...
- Effects of gravitational changes on the bone system in vitro and in vivoL Vico
LBTO Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, GIP Exercise, Faculte de Medecine, Saint Etienne, France
Bone 22:95S-100S. 1998..Data from the model confirmed the impairment of osteoblastic activity and showed an alteration in osteoblast recruitment with skeletal unloading. However, this model needs to be further validated...
- High-resolution pQCT analysis at the distal radius and tibia discriminates patients with recent wrist and femoral neck fracturesLaurence Vico
INSERM U890 IFR143, University of St Etienne, St Etienne, France
J Bone Miner Res 23:1741-50. 2008..Geometry parameters at the tibia displayed the greatest differences between healthy and fractured patients and between wrist and hip fractures...
- What do we know about alteration in the osteoblast phenotype with microgravity?L Vico
INSERM, E0366, Bone Biology Laboratory, University of St Etienne, France
J Musculoskelet Neuronal Interact 6:317-8. 2006
- Absence of bone sialoprotein (BSP) impairs primary bone formation and resorption: the marrow ablation model under PTH challengeNdéye Marième Wade-Gueye
INSERM U1059 SFR IFRESIS, F42023, Saint Etienne, France
Bone 50:1064-73. 2012..These findings confirm the hypothesis of a crucial role for BSP in primary ossification, which has long been suspected for mineralization, but here extends to bone deposition and turnover...
- Mice lacking bone sialoprotein (BSP) lose bone after ovariectomy and display skeletal site-specific response to intermittent PTH treatmentNdéye Marième Wade-Gueye
Université de Lyon and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 890 Institut Fédératif de Recherche 143, Saint Etienne, France
Endocrinology 151:5103-13. 2010..Although up-regulation of one or several other SIBLINGs is a possible mechanism, further studies are needed to analyze the interplay and cross-regulation involved in compensating for the absence of BSP...
- Ex Vivo bone formation in bovine trabecular bone cultured in a dynamic 3D bioreactor is enhanced by compressive mechanical strainValentin David
INSERM U890, Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, IFR143, IFRESIS, Université Jean Monnet, St Etienne, F 42023, France
Tissue Eng Part A 14:117-26. 2008..Thus, in the ZetOS apparatus, we reproduce in vitro the osteogenic effects of mechanical strain known in vivo, making this system a unique and an essential laboratory aid for ex vivo testing of lamellar bone remodeling...
- Modulation of the responses of human osteoblast-like cells to physiologic mechanical strains by biomaterial surfacesFabrice Di Palma
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Faculté de Médecine 15 rue Ambroise Paré, Université Jean Monnet, Equipe INSERM E366, Saint Etienne 42023, Cedex 02, France
Biomaterials 26:4249-57. 2005..Our results suggest that the nature of the surface did not influence the up-regulation of alkaline phosphatase activity induced by IMS, but modulates specifically cell-substrate as well as cell-cell interactions in response to IMS...
- Bone sialoprotein deficiency impairs osteoclastogenesis and mineral resorption in vitroMaya Boudiffa
Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
J Bone Miner Res 25:2669-79. 2010..In conclusion, lack of BSP affects both osteoclast formation and activity, which is in accordance with in vivo findings. Our results also suggest at least some functional redundancy between BSP and OPN that remains to be clarified...
- Mechanical loading down-regulates peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma in bone marrow stromal cells and favors osteoblastogenesis at the expense of adipogenesisValentin David
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unité 890, Université Jean Monnet, F 42023 Saint Etienne Cedex 2, France
Endocrinology 148:2553-62. 2007..In conclusion, we provide evidence that mechanical stimuli are potential PPARgamma modulators counteracting adipocyte differentiation and inhibition of osteoblastogenesis...
- Imaging and quantitative assessment of long bone vascularization in the adult rat using microcomputed tomographyJia Fei
Universite de Lyon, France
Anat Rec (Hoboken) 293:215-24. 2010..005), vessel separation increased by 27%, P < 0.01. SRmuCT could image sinusoid clusters in bone. muCT is an accurate and reproducible technique for 3D quantitative evaluation of long bone vascularisation in the rat...
- Noninvasive in vivo monitoring of bone architecture alterations in hindlimb-unloaded female rats using novel three-dimensional microcomputed tomographyValentin David
LBTO, INSERM E0366, University of Saint Etienne, Saint Etienne, France
J Bone Miner Res 18:1622-31. 2003..This prototype has a potential to detect three-dimensional trabecular microarchitectural changes induced by growth and unloading...
- Two-week longitudinal survey of bone architecture alteration in the hindlimb-unloaded rat model of bone loss: sex differencesValentin David
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, University of Saint Etienne, Saint Etienne, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E440-7. 2006....
- Blocking the expression of both bone sialoprotein (BSP) and osteopontin (OPN) impairs the anabolic action of PTH in mouse calvaria boneWafa Bouleftour
INSERM U1059 LBTO, Université de Lyon Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etienne, France
J Cell Physiol 230:568-77. 2015..This suggests that OPN may compensate for the lack of BSP in the response to this hormonal challenge, and provides evidence of functional overlap between these cognate proteins...
- Extracellular matrix produced by osteoblasts cultured under low-magnitude, high-frequency stimulation is favourable to osteogenic differentiation of mesenchymal stem cellsVirginie Dumas
Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
Calcif Tissue Int 87:351-64. 2010..LMHF stimulations of osteoblasts are therefore efficient and sufficient to generate osteogenic matrix...
- Focal contact clustering in osteoblastic cells under mechanical stresses: microgravity and cyclic deformationAlain Guignandon
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux L B T O, INSERM E366, Faculte de Medecine, 15 rue Ambroise Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne Cedex 02, France
Cell Commun Adhes 10:69-83. 2003..8 osteoblastic cells...
- Interactions between estrogen and mechanical strain effects on U2OS human osteosarcoma cells are not influenced by estrogen receptor typeFlorence Lima
LBTO Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Rheumatology Department, INSERM E0366, University of Saint Etienne, France
Bone 35:1127-35. 2004..However, we were not able to demonstrate that interactions between E and MS were dependent on ER type in U2OS osteosarcoma cells...
- Lower bone cellular activities in male and female mature C3H/HeJ mice are associated with higher bone mass and different pyridinium crosslink profiles compared to C57BL/6J miceDaniel Amblard
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux LBTO, GIP E2S, INSERM E0366, Faculte de Medecine, 15, rue Ambroise Pare, 42023 St Etienne 2, France
J Bone Miner Metab 21:377-87. 2003..In conclusion, we found that the lower cellular activities in C3H were associated with high cancellous bone mass and pyridinium crosslink levels, which might account for the more mineralized bone in C3H mice compared to that in B6 mice...
- Cyclic strain promotes shuttling of PYK2/Hic-5 complex from focal contacts in osteoblast-like cellsAlain Guignandon
INSERM E366, St Etienne, F 42023, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 343:407-14. 2006....
- Mechanical strain on osteoblasts activates autophosphorylation of focal adhesion kinase and proline-rich tyrosine kinase 2 tyrosine sites involved in ERK activationNadia Boutahar
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, INSERM, E366, 15 rue Ambroise Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne 02, France
J Biol Chem 279:30588-99. 2004..The latter was induced by ERK2 phosphorylation under the control of FAK and PYK2 phosphorylation orchestrated in a time-dependent manner...
- Impaired energetic metabolism after central leptin signaling leads to massive appendicular bone loss in hindlimb-suspended ratsAline Martin
INSERM U890, University Hospital of St Etienne, St Etienne, France
J Bone Miner Res 23:2040-7. 2008..In summary, our study supports the hypothesis of a concentration-dependent balance between peripheral and central control of leptin on bone...
- Thyroid hormone receptor β mediates thyroid hormone effects on bone remodeling and bone massLaurent Emmanuel Monfoulet
INSERM, U577, and University Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
J Bone Miner Res 26:2036-44. 2011..These data shed new light on the respective roles of TRs in the control of bone metabolism by TH...
- Absence of bone sialoprotein (BSP) alters profoundly hematopoiesis and upregulates osteopontinRenata Neves Granito
INSERM U1059 LBTO, Université Jean Monnet Université de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
J Cell Physiol 230:1342-51. 2015....
- The impairment of osteogenesis in bone sialoprotein (BSP) knockout calvaria cell cultures is cell density dependentGuenaelle Bouet
Inserm U1059, Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, SFR IFRESIS, Université de Lyon and Université Jean Monnet, St Etienne, France
PLoS ONE 10:e0117402. 2015..The BSP knockout bone microenvironment may alter the proliferation/cell fate of early osteoprogenitors. ..
- Mechanical signals modulated vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF-A) alternative splicing in osteoblastic cells through actin polymerisationCéline Faure
INSERM U890, St Etienne, F 42023, France
Bone 42:1092-101. 2008..Mechanically induced selection of soluble or matrix-bound VEGF production may modify osteoblast and endothelial cell crosstalk crucial during osteogenesis and fracture healing...
- Absence of mechanical loading in utero influences bone mass and architecture but not innervation in Myod-Myf5-deficient miceCédric Gomez
INSERM, E0366, Saint Etienne, France
J Anat 210:259-71. 2007..The altered morphological features of dd/ff mice and the increased bone resorption show the role of muscle activity in bone shaping and the consequences of bone unloading...
- Multiscale grooved titanium processed with femtosecond laser influences mesenchymal stem cell morphology, adhesion, and matrix organizationVirginie Dumas
Ecole Nationale d Ingénieurs de Saint Etienne Enise, LTDS, UMR 5513 CNRS, Universite de Lyon, 42023 Saint Etienne, France
J Biomed Mater Res A 100:3108-16. 2012..The ultrafast laser, as a new method for producing micro-nanohybrid surfaces, is a promising approach to promote desired tissue organization for tissue engineering...
- Validated Laser Doppler protocol for measurement of mouse bone blood perfusion - response to age or ovariectomy differs with genetic backgroundBernard Roche
Inserm U1059, Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne F 42023, France
Bone 55:418-26. 2013..This integrative structural and functional approach of bone vascularization showed that bone vascular adaptation occurs during aging or after ovariectomy and is affected by the genetic background...
- Pathophysiology of bone loss in disuse osteoporosisChristian Alexandre
U Inserm 1059, Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
Joint Bone Spine 78:572-6. 2011..A better knowledge of these mechanisms should promote the development of preventive therapies for the often neglected osteoporotic fractures that occur in patients with spinal cord injury...
- Structure and quantification of microvascularisation within mouse long bones: what and how should we measure?Bernard Roche
Universite de Lyon, F42023, Saint Etienne, France
Bone 50:390-9. 2012..Finally, we validate our technique by studying the effect of ovariectomy on mouse tibial vascular density...
- Bone sialoprotein plays a functional role in bone formation and osteoclastogenesisLuc Malaval
Institut National de Santé et de Recherche Médicale U890, IFR 143, Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etienne, F42023, France
J Exp Med 205:1145-53. 2008..It does not, however, prevent the bone loss resulting from loss of mechanical stimulation, a phenotype that is clearly different from OPN(-/-) mice...
- Increase of both angiogenesis and bone mass in response to exercise depends on VEGFZhenqiang Yao
Faculte de Medecine, Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Saint Etienne Cedex 02 42023, France
J Bone Miner Res 19:1471-80. 2004..VEGF blockade over 5 weeks of training fully prevented the exercise-induced bone mass gain...
- Rac1 GTPase silencing counteracts microgravity-induced effects on osteoblastic cellsAlain Guignandon
Institute National de la Santé et de la recherche Médicale INSERM, Unité 1059, Laboratoire de Biologie Intégrée du Tissu Osseux, Universite de Lyon, St Etienne, France
FASEB J 28:4077-87. 2014..8% for SiRac1). Collectively, these data point out the role of the VEGF/Rho GTPase axis in mechanosensing and validate Rac1-mediated signaling pathways as potential targets for counteracting microgravity effects...
- Skeletal development of mice lacking bone sialoprotein (BSP)--impairment of long bone growth and progressive establishment of high trabecular bone massWafa Bouleftour
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U1059, Université de Lyon Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etienne, France
PLoS ONE 9:e95144. 2014..Compensatory high Opn may allow normal endochondral development in BSP-/- mice, while impairing primary mineralization. ..
- Physiological strains remodel extracellular matrix and cell-cell adhesion in osteoblastic cells cultured on alumina-coated titanium alloyFabrice Di Palma
Laboratoire de Biologie et de Biochimie du Tissu Osseux, Faculte de Medecine, Université Jean Monnet, Equipe de recherche INSERM E366, 15 rue Ambroise Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne Cedex 02, Loire, France
Biomaterials 25:2565-75. 2004..We concluded that reinforcement of cell-cell adhesion and remodelling of the FN network are important adaptive responses to physiological strains for human osteoblasts grown on alumina-coated biomaterials...
- Tail suspension induces bone loss in skeletally mature mice in the C57BL/6J strain but not in the C3H/HeJ strainDaniel Amblard
Laboratoire de Biologie et Biochimie du Tissu Osseux, INSERM E9901, Faculté de Médecine 15, St Etienne, France
J Bone Miner Res 18:561-9. 2003....
- Skeletal site-specific effects of whole body vibration in mature rats: from deleterious to beneficial frequency-dependent effectsMarion Pasqualini
INSERM U1059 LBTO, Université Jean Monnet, Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
Bone 55:69-77. 2013..We concluded that the skeleton is frequency-scalable, thus highlighting the importance of WBV regimen conditions and suggesting that cautions are required for frequencies less than 10 Hz, at least in rats...
- Effects of whole body vibration on the skeleton and other organ systems in man and animal models: what we know and what we need to knowRhonda D Prisby
Université Jean Monnet, INSERM U890, Saint Etienne F42023, France
Ageing Res Rev 7:319-29. 2008..e., the elderly, postmenopausal women, etc.) in hopes of eliciting multidisciplinary scientific inquiries into this potentially therapeutic aid which presumably has global ramifications...
- Parathyroid hormone 1-84 targets bone vascular structure and perfusion in mice: impacts of its administration regimen and of ovariectomyBernard Roche
Inserm U1059, Lab Biologie Intégrée du Tissu Osseux, Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, France
J Bone Miner Res 29:1608-18. 2014....
- Absence of bone sialoprotein (BSP) impairs cortical defect repair in mouse long boneLuc Malaval
Universite de Lyon, Saint Etienne, F42023, France
Bone 45:853-61. 2009..In conclusion, the absence of BSP delays bone repair at least in part by impairing both new bone formation and osteoclast activity...
- Soccer increases bone mass in prepubescent boys during growth: a 3-yr longitudinal studyMohamed Zouch
INSERM, Research Unit UMR, University of Lyon, Saint Etienne, France Laboratory of cardio circulatory, Respiratory, Metabolic, and Hormonal Adaptations to the Muscular Exercise, Faculty of Medicine Ibn El Jazzar, University of Sousse, Sousse, Tunisia Electronic address
J Clin Densitom 18:179-86. 2015..The increased bone mass induced by soccer training in the stressed sites was associated to a decreased skull bone mass after 3 yr of follow-up...
- Plasticity of osteoprogenitor cellsMarie Hélène Lafage-Proust
LBTO INSERM 890, IFR 143, Jean Monnet University, 15 rue A Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne, France
Joint Bone Spine 74:536-9. 2007..New insights into the molecular mechanisms involved in controlling the osteoblast-adipocyte balance are unlocking doors to a vast array of innovative treatment strategies...
- Rotating-wall vessels, promising bioreactors for osteoblastic cell culture: comparison with other 3D conditionsC Granet
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Faculté de Médecine J Lisfranc, Saint Etienne, France
Med Biol Eng Comput 36:513-9. 1998..Therefore the bioreactor may be a suitable tissue culture model for investigation of growth and differentiation processes in tissue engineering...
- MAPK and SRC-kinases control EGR-1 and NF-kappa B inductions by changes in mechanical environment in osteoblastsC Granet
Laboratoire de Biologie et de Biochimie du Tissu Osseux LBBTO, INSERM E9901, Faculte de Medecine, 15 rue A Paré, 42023 Saint Etienne cedex 2, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 284:622-31. 2001..These could partially explain the later alterations of proliferation observed...
- Effects of intermittent or continuous gravitational stresses on cell-matrix adhesion: quantitative analysis of focal contacts in osteoblastic ROS 17/2.8 cellsA Guignandon
Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Jean Monnet University, Saint Etienne, France
Exp Cell Res 236:66-75. 1997..We concluded that ROS 17/2.8 cells are sensitive to Gz switches and that their adaptation is at least dependent on microtubule function...
- Cell cycling determines integrin-mediated adhesion in osteoblastic ROS 17/2.8 cells exposed to space-related conditionsA Guignandon
Laboratoire de Biologie et de Biochimie du Tissu Osseux Equipe Mixte INSERM E9901, Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etienne, 15 rue Ambroise Paré, F 42023 Saint Etienne Cedex 2, Grenoble, France
FASEB J 15:2036-8. 2001..ROS17/2.8 cells responded differently, whether or not they were cycling by reorganizing adhesion plaque topography or morphology. In ROS 17/2.8, this reorganization did not impair osteoblastic phenotype...
- Young male soccer players exhibit additional bone mineral acquisition during the peripubertal period: 1-year longitudinal studyMohamed Zouch
INSERM, Research Unit UMR 1059, University of Lyon, 42023, Saint Etienne, France
Eur J Pediatr 173:53-61. 2014....
- In vitro three-dimensional bone tissue models: from cells to controlled and dynamic environmentGuenaelle Bouet
1 Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U1059, Université de Lyon Université Jean Monnet, Saint Etienne, France
Tissue Eng Part B Rev 21:133-56. 2015..Finally, future challenges for noninvasive imaging technologies are addressed. ..
- High-resolution three-dimensional micro-computed tomography detects bone loss and changes in trabecular architecture early: comparison with DEXA and bone histomorphometry in a rat model of disuse osteoporosisOdile Barou
Laboratoire de Biologie et de Biochimie du Tissu Osseux, Equipe Mixte INSERM 9901, Faculte de Medecine, Saint Etienne, France
Invest Radiol 37:40-6. 2002....
- Synchrotron radiation micro-CT at the micrometer scale for the analysis of the three-dimensional morphology of microcracks in human trabecular boneAymeric Larrue
CREATIS, INSERM U1044, CNRS 5220, INSA Lyon, Université Lyon I, Universite de Lyon, Villeurbanne, France
PLoS ONE 6:e21297. 2011..In conclusion, this technique opens new perspective for the 3D investigation of microcracks and the impact of age, disease or treatment...
- Apatite content of collagen materials dose-dependently increases pre-osteoblastic cell deposition of a cement line-like matrixA Perrier
Universite de Lyon, F42023, Saint Etienne, France
Bone 47:23-33. 2010..This particular surface activation was probably done firstly to reinforce cell survival (VEGF-A) and adhesion (OPN, FN) and secondly to recruit and prepare surfaces for subsequent bone cell activity...
- RhoGTPases as key players in mammalian cell adaptation to microgravityFiona Louis
Inserm U1059, Laboratoire de Biologie du Tissu Osseux, Université Jean Monnet, 42023 Saint Etienne cedex, France
Biomed Res Int 2015:747693. 2015..We conclude by considering the potential relevance of live imaging of RhoGTPase activity or cytoskeletal structures in order to enhance our understanding of cell adaptation to microgravity-related conditions. ..
- Expression of Semaphorin-3A and its receptors in endochondral ossification: potential role in skeletal development and innervationC Gomez
INSERM, Unit 403, Lyon, France
Dev Dyn 234:393-403. 2005..Expression patterns suggest Plexin-A3/Neuropilin-1 as a candidate receptor in target cells for the regulation of bone innervation by Semaphorin-3A...
- Space flight: a challenge for normal bone homeostasisG Carmeliet
Laboratorium voor Experimentele Geneeskunde en Endocrinologie, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Crit Rev Eukaryot Gene Expr 11:131-44. 2001..It is hoped that as the mechanisms by which bone responds to mechanical (un)loading are further understood, this insight will influence the treatment of other etiologies of osteoporosis...
- Rat hindlimb unloading by tail suspension reduces osteoblast differentiation, induces IL-6 secretion, and increases bone resorption in ex vivo culturesM Grano
Department of Human Anatomy and Histology, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Calcif Tissue Int 70:176-85. 2002..They also indicate for the first time that a possible mediator responsible for the increased osteoclastogenesis could be represented by the IL-6 whose secretion by bone marrow cells was significantly enhanced by unloading...
- Regulation of ubiquitin-proteasome system, caspase enzyme activities, and extracellular proteinases in rat soleus muscle in response to unloadingP Berthon
Laboratoire de Physiologie et de Biomécanique de l Exercice Musculaire, Université Rennes 2, Rennes F 35000, France
Pflugers Arch 454:625-33. 2007..Overall, these data suggest that time-dependent regulation of intracellular and extracellular proteinases are important in setting the new phenotype of rat soleus muscle in response to HS...
- Osteobiology, strain, and microgravity. Part II: studies at the tissue levelL Vico
INSERM E9901, LBBTO, , France
Calcif Tissue Int 68:1-10. 2001..In Part II, we have considered the data on the alterations induced by unloading and microgravity on the skeleton and the mechanisms that are involved at the tissue level in animals and humans...