- Prospective study of dietary fiber and risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease among US women and menRaphaelle Varraso
INSERM, U780 IFR69, Villejuif, France
Am J Epidemiol 171:776-84. 2010..lowest intake, relative risk = 0.77, 95% confidence interval: 0.59, 0.99; P(trend) = 0.04). These data suggest that a diet high in fiber, and possibly specifically cereal fiber, may reduce risk of developing COPD...
- Assessment of dietary patterns in nutritional epidemiology: principal component analysis compared with confirmatory factor analysisRaphaelle Varraso
INSERM U1018 CESP, Respiratory and Environmental Epidemiology Team Team 5, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Am J Clin Nutr 96:1079-92. 2012..The authors proposed the alternative use of confirmatory factor analysis (CFA) to define such patterns...
- Nutrition and asthmaRaphaelle Varraso
Inserm CESP U, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, Villejuif, France
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep 12:201-10. 2012..Overall, findings underscore the importance of conducting prospective studies and clinical trials to better understand the role of diet in the etiology of asthma...
- Prospective study of diet and venous thromboembolism in US women and menRaphaelle Varraso
INSERM, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, Respiratory and Environmental Epidemiology Team Team 5, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, Villejuif Cedex, France
Am J Epidemiol 175:114-26. 2012..For intakes of red and processed meat and trans fatty acids, no association was found in women, whereas a significant positive association was found in men. These results suggest a weak association between diet and the risk of VTE...
- Farming in childhood, diet in adulthood and asthma historyR Varraso
INSERM CESP U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94 807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Eur Respir J 39:67-75. 2012..Results extend previous observations in younger cohorts on the protective role of contact with livestock and farming lifestyle on asthma, in particular during childhood...
- Work related asthma. A causal analysis controlling the healthy worker effectOrianne Dumas
INSERM, Center for research in Epidemiology and Population Heatlh CESP, U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, F 94807, Villejuif, France
Occup Environ Med 70:603-10. 2013..The role of irritants in work-related asthma is disputed. We estimated the effect of occupational exposure on asthma expression in a longitudinal study, using marginal structural modelling to control for the healthy worker effect...
- Environment and asthma in adultsNicole Le Moual
INSERM, Centre for Research in Epidemiology and Population Health CESP, U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, F 94807 Villejuif, France University Paris Sud, UMRS 1018, 94807 Villejuif, France Electronic address
Presse Med 42:e317-33. 2013..A better understanding of the complex interrelationships between socio-economic, nutritional, lifestyle and environmental conditions might help to study their joint and independent roles in asthma. ..
- Temporal asthma patterns using repeated questionnaires over 13 years in a large French cohort of womenMargaux Sanchez
INSERM, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, F 94807, Villejuif, France
PLoS ONE 8:e65090. 2013..The "Inconsistent" pattern is a phenotype that may capture the variable expression of asthma. Repeated answers, even to a simple question, are too often neglected...
- Domestic use of cleaning sprays and asthma activity in femalesNicole Le Moual
INSERM, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, Universite Paris Sud 11, UMRS1018, Villejuif, France
Eur Respir J 40:1381-9. 2012..12 (1.27-3.54)) than in those reporting such avoidance (0.99 (0.53-1.85)). The common use of household cleaning sprays is positively associated with a high asthma symptom score, current asthma and poorly-controlled asthma in females...
- Cleaning sprays, household help and asthma among elderly womenAnnabelle Bédard
INSERM, Centre for Research in Epidemiology and Population Health CESP, U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, F 94807 Villejuif, France Univ Paris Sud, UMRS 1018, F 94807 Villejuif, France Electronic address
Respir Med 108:171-80. 2014..Household help might induce misclassification errors. The aim of the present analysis was to study associations between household exposure to cleaning sprays and current asthma in elderly women, taking into account household help...
- Plasma and exhaled breath condensate nitrite-nitrate level in relation to environmental exposures in adults in the EGEA studyMarta Rava
Respiratory and Environmental Epidemiology, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, INSERM, 16, avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, F 94807 Villejuif, France
Nitric Oxide 27:169-75. 2012..Results suggest that potential modifiable environmental and behavioral risk factors may modify NO(2)(-)/NO(3)(-) levels in plasma and EBC according to the route of exposure...
- Are operating room nurses at higher risk of severe persistent asthma? The Nurses' Health StudyNicole Le Moual
Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, INSERM, Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, Universite Paris Sud 11, Villejuif, France
J Occup Environ Med 55:973-7. 2013..To assess the associations between operating room (OR) nursing, a category of health care workers at high risk of exposure to various inhaled agents, and asthma severity/control among women with asthma...
- Postmenopausal hormone therapy and asthma onset in the E3N cohortIsabelle Romieu
National Instituto of Public Health, Cuernavaca, Mexico 2INSERM, ER120 Université Paris Sud, Faculte de Medicine, IFR69 Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Thorax 65:292-7. 2010..The only prospective study addressing this issue reports an increase in the risk of developing asthma which was similar for oestrogen alone and oestrogen/progestagen treatment...
- The epidemiology of coughFrancine Kauffmann
INSERM, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, Respiratory and environmental epidemiology Team, 16, avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, F 94807, Villejuif, France
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 24:289-94. 2011..The association of cough with asthma and gender is described, together with its evolution over a 12-year period. The potential for genetic studies of cough is discussed...
- Prospective study of cured meats consumption and risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in menRaphaelle Varraso
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA
Am J Epidemiol 166:1438-45. 2007..00; p(trend) = 0.002). In contrast to these findings, the consumption of cured meats was not associated with the risk of adult-onset asthma. These data suggest that cured meat may worsen the adverse effects of smoking on risk of COPD...
- Not only training but also exposure to chlorinated compounds generates a response to oxidative stimuli in swimmersRaphaelle Varraso
INSERM U420, Faculte de Medecine, BP 184, 54505 Vandauvre leś Nancy, France
Toxicol Ind Health 18:269-78. 2002..Other athletes tend to have respiratory problems such as asthma, but the exposure to chlorinated compounds may increase the respiratory disease among swimmers...
- Phenotypic determinants of uncontrolled asthmaValerie Siroux
INSERM, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U823, Institut Albert Bonniot, Grenoble, France
J Allergy Clin Immunol 124:681-7.e3. 2009..Although uncontrolled asthma remains frequent, determinants of asthma control are poorly studied...
- Asthma severity is associated with body mass index and early menarche in womenRaphaelle Varraso
INSERM U472, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 16 Avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif Cedex, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:334-9. 2005..0001). The association between BMI and severity was stronger in women with early menarche than in women without early menarche (p interaction = 0.02). Findings support the hypothesis of hormonal factors involved in the severity of asthma...