- [Ontogeny of respiratory muscle control. Evidence from the amphibian model]C Straus
UPRES EA 2397, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris
Rev Mal Respir 17:585-90. 2000..The ontogenic particularities of tadpole breathing and the study of its isolated brainstem provide a unique model for the investigation of the ventilatory rhythm generation...
- Baclofen eliminates cluster lung breathing of the tadpole brainstem, in vitroC Straus
Respiratory Research Group, Department of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Alberta, T2N 4N1, Calgary, Canada
Neurosci Lett 292:13-6. 2000..Therefore, at moderate concentrations of baclofen continuous ventilation replaced episodic ventilation, suggesting that a GABA(B) receptor-dependent pathway may regulate the clustering of lung breaths...
- A phylogenetic hypothesis for the origin of hiccoughC Straus
Respiratory Research Group, Department of Medical Physiology Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Bioessays 25:182-8. 2003..A circuit that can generate hiccoughs may persist in mammals because it has permitted the development of pattern generators for other useful functions of the pharynx and chest wall muscles, such as suckling or eupneic breathing...
- Oxygen sensitive chemoreceptors in the first gill arch of the tadpole, Rana catesbeianaC Straus
Department of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, AB, Canada
Can J Physiol Pharmacol 79:959-62. 2001..0002). The O2 sensitive chemoreceptor stimulants NaCN and almitrine also increased the spike frequency. This study demonstrates the presence of O2 sensitive chemoreceptors in the first gill arch of the tadpole...
- [How is respiratory muscle function controlled?]C Straus
UPRES EA 2397, Universite Paris VI Pierre et Marie Curie, Service Central d explorations fonctionnelles respiratoires, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Rev Mal Respir 22:2S19-28. 2005
- Developmental disinhibition: turning off inhibition turns on breathing in vertebratesC Straus
Respiratory Research Group, Department of Medical Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Drive NW, Calgary, Alberta, T2N 4N1, Canada
J Neurobiol 45:75-83. 2000..Thus, our results suggest that loss of an inhibitory signal during development (i.e., developmental disinhibition) is responsible for the developmental expression of air breathing...
- Efficacy of a low volume recirculating superfusion chamber for long term administration of expensive drugs and dyesR J Wilson
Department of Medical Physiology and Biophysics, Heritage Medical Research Building, University of Calgary, 3330 Hospital Dr NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
J Neurosci Methods 87:175-84. 1999..We demonstrate that despite the high flow rates, preparations are mechanically stable allowing intracellular electrophysiological recordings...
- Effects of upper airway anaesthesia on respiratory-related evoked potentials in humansS Redolfi
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire, Service de Pneumologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, 47 83, Bd de l Hopital, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Eur Respir J 26:1097-103. 2005..On the contrary, deeper receptors, such as joint and muscle receptors, could contribute dominantly to these potentials...
- Evidence that ventilatory rhythmogenesis in the frog involves two distinct neuronal oscillatorsR J A Wilson
Department of Medical Physiology, University of Calgary, 330 Hospital Drive, N W, Calgary, Alberta, Canada T2N 4N1
J Physiol 540:557-70. 2002..These putative oscillators may provide a promising experimental model for studying coupled oscillators in vertebrates...
- Facilitation of the diaphragm response to transcranial magnetic stimulation by increases in human respiratory driveC Straus
UPRES EA 2397, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Universite Paris VI Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
J Appl Physiol 97:902-12. 2004..This could allow the corticospinal drive to breathe to keep the capacity to modulate respiration in conditions under which the automatic respiratory control is stimulated...
- Comparison of magnetic and electrical phrenic nerve stimulation in assessment of phrenic nerve conduction timeT Similowski
Service de Pneumologie et Réanimation and Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Appl Physiol 82:1190-9. 1997..5 Tesla. These findings may be the result of phrenic nerve depolarization occurring more distally than expected with CMS, which may have clinical implications regarding the diagnosis and follow-up of phrenic nerve lesions...
- [Primary central nervous system lymphoma presenting with central neurogenic hyperventilation. A case report and review of the literature]F Laigle-Donadey
Service de Neurologie Mazarin, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris
Rev Neurol (Paris) 161:940-8. 2005..Central neurogenic hyperventilation (CNH) in an awake patient is a rare entity...
- Unaltered respiratory-related evoked potentials after acute diaphragm dysfunction in humansM Bezzi
Laboratoire de Physiopathologie Respiratoire, Service de Pneumologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Eur Respir J 22:625-30. 2003..The latencies and amplitudes of all the components of the respiratory-related evoked potentials were unchanged. The study concluded that predominant diaphragm fatigue does not affect respiratory-related evoked potentials...
- Ventilatory response to exercise does not evidence electroencephalographical respiratory-related activation of the cortical premotor circuitry in healthy humansL Jutand
Universite de Poitiers, Laboratoire des Adaptations Physiologiques aux Activités Physiques, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, UPRES EA 3813, 4 Allée Jean Monnet, 86000, Poitiers, France
Acta Physiol (Oxf) 205:356-62. 2012..Because the involvement of a premotor circuitry in the compensation of inspiratory mechanical loads has recently been described, we looked for its implication in exercise-induced hyperpnea...
- Effects of muscle group recruitment on sniff transdiaphragmatic pressure and its componentsE Verin
, Assistance Publique-HÄµpitaux de Paris, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 85:593-8. 2001..This should extend to Pes,sn substitutes measured at the airway opening...