- Age at onset determines the occurrence of the progressive phase of multiple sclerosisB Stankoff
centre d investigation clinique, AP HP, Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière UPMC, Paris, France
Neurology 68:779-81. 2007..Moreover, age at onset strongly determines the time to conversion to secondary progression for patients presenting with a relapsing form. This suggests that age at onset strongly influences the neurodegenerative component of MS...
- Modafinil for fatigue in MS: a randomized placebo-controlled double-blind studyB Stankoff
Federation de Neurologie, Hopital de la Salpetriere, AP HP, Paris, France
Neurology 64:1139-43. 2005..To assess whether modafinil, a wakefulness-promoting agent, is useful for fatigue in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS)...
- Dramatic worsening following plasma exchange in severe post-natalizumab withdrawal multiple sclerosis relapseC Papeix
Department of Neurology, MS Clinic, Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France
Mult Scler 17:1520-2. 2011..Subsequent treatment by plasma exchanges (PLEX) was followed by a dramatic neurological worsening. This case suggests that PLEX after natalizumab discontinuation may increase relapse severity...
- Immunosuppressive therapy is more effective than interferon in neuromyelitis opticaC Papeix
Department of Neurology, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
Mult Scler 13:256-9. 2007..The probability of relapse was significantly lower in the IS Group (P =0.0007). From our results, interferon beta is not recommended, and one of the best current therapeutic options for NMO appears to be immunosuppressants...
- Negative regulation of central nervous system myelination by polysialylated-neural cell adhesion moleculeP Charles
Biologie des Interactions Neurones Glie, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 495 and Université Paris VI, Hopital de la Salpetriere, 75651 Paris Cedex 13, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 97:7585-90. 2000..Together, this suggests that myelination is tightly controlled by both positive (electrical activity) and negative (PSA-NCAM expression) regulatory signals...