- High-intensity intermittent activities at school: controversies and factsS Ratel
Inter university Laboratory of Biology of Physical and Sport Activities, Blaise Pascal University, Clermond Ferrand, France
J Sports Med Phys Fitness 44:272-80. 2004....
- Physiological responses during cycling with noncircular "Harmonic" and circular chainringsSebastien Ratel
Laboratoire Interuniversitaire de Biologie des Activités Physiques et Sportives, UFR de Médecine Université d Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 91:100-4. 2004....
- Age differences in human skeletal muscle fatigue during high-intensity intermittent exerciseS Ratel
Laboratoire Interuniversitaire de Biologie des Activités Physiques et Sportives, UFR de Medecine, Universite d Auvergne, France
Acta Paediatr 92:1248-54. 2003..Age-related differences in fatigue resistance could also be explained by differences in the rates of resynthesis of some energetic substrates and the rates of removal of various muscle metabolites...
- Effects of age and mode of exercise on power output profiles during repeated sprintsSebastien Ratel
Children s Health and Exercise Research Centre, University of Exeter, Exeter, Devon, UK
Eur J Appl Physiol 92:204-10. 2004..Furthermore, children and adults experienced greater fatigue during running compared to cycling. This last result may be attributed to additional muscle recruitment during sprint running...
- Effects of age and recovery duration on performance during multiple treadmill sprintsS Ratel
Children s Health and Exercise Research Centre, University of Exeter, Exeter, Devon, United Kingdom
Int J Sports Med 27:1-8. 2006..Despite the decrease in power and force outputs with R180, the young men were able to maintain their running velocity during the test...
- Effect of a 6-month school-based physical activity program on body composition and physical fitness in lean and obese schoolchildrenDavid Thivel
Laboratory of Exercise Physiology, EA3533, Blaise Pascal University, Clermont University, Clermont Ferrand, France
Eur J Pediatr 170:1435-43. 2011..Two physical activity sessions per week in addition to standard physical education classes in primary schoolchildren bring effective results for the prevention of childhood obesity...
- Are eating habits associated with physical fitness in primary school children?David Thivel
Laboratory of Exercise Physiology, EA3533, Blaise Pascal University, Clermont University, France
Eat Behav 14:83-6. 2013..Children's eating habits have mainly been related to anthropometric characteristics but less is known about their association with physical fitness...
- Achievement of peak VO2 during a 90-s maximal intensity cycle sprint in adolescentsCraig A Williams
Children s Health and Exercise Research Centre, University of Exeter, St Luke s Campus, Heavitree Road, Exeter, EX1 2LU, UK
Can J Appl Physiol 30:157-71. 2005..05. Hence, for researchers solely interested in PVO2 values, a shorter but more intensive protocol provides an alternative method to the traditional ramp aerobic test...
- Muscle fatigue during high-intensity exercise in childrenSebastien Ratel
Laboratory of Exercise Biology BAPS EA 3533, Faculty of Sports Sciences, University of Blaise Pascal, Clermont Ferrand, France
Sports Med 36:1031-65. 2006..The use of non-invasive measurement tools such as magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance spectroscopy in paediatric exercise science will give researchers more insight in the future...
- Knee extension strength in obese and nonobese male adolescentsAchref Abdelmoula
Clermont University, Blaise Pascal University, Clermont Ferrand, France
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 37:269-75. 2012..However, further studies are required to ascertain whether or not relative strength, measured with more accurate in vivo methods such as magnetic resonance imaging, is higher in obese adolescents than in nonobese controls...
- Cycling peak power in obese and lean 6- to 8-year-old girls and boysJulien Aucouturier
Laboratory of Exercise Biology BAPS, Unité de Formation et de Recherche en Sciences et Techniques des Activités Physiques et Sportives UFRSTAPS, Blaise Pascal University, Clermont Ferrand, France
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 32:367-71. 2007..Gender difference for Vopt and Fopt shows that girls and boys may have different maturation patterns affecting CPP...
- Effects of age and recovery duration on peak power output during repeated cycling sprintsS Ratel
Laboratoire Interuniversitaire de Biologie des Activités Physiques et Sportives, Clermont Ferrand, France
Int J Sports Med 23:397-402. 2002..It was suggested that the faster recovery of PP50 in the prepubescent boys was due to their lower muscle glycolytic activity and their higher muscle oxidative capacity allowing a faster resynthesis in phosphocreatine...
- Longitudinal follow-up of biochemical markers of fatigue throughout a sporting season in young elite rugby playersAnne Alaphilippe
Laboratory of Biology of Physical Activity, University of Clermont Ferrand, Clermont Ferrand, France
J Strength Cond Res 26:3376-84. 2012..05) and ALAT (r = 0.33, p < 0.01). We suggest that regular monitoring of these biochemical parameters may provide important information for the coach on the fatigue of rugby players and their perceived difficulty of training...
- Whey proteins are more efficient than casein in the recovery of muscle functional properties following a casting induced muscle atrophyVincent Martin
Clermont Universite, Universite Blaise Pascal, EA 3533, Laboratoire des Adaptations Métaboliques à l Exercice en conditions Physiologiques et Pathologiques, CRNH Auvergne, Clermont Ferrand, France
PLoS ONE 8:e75408. 2013..These effects were more specifically observed at force level and movement velocities that are relevant for functional abilities, and thus natural locomotion...
- High-intensity and resistance training and elite young athletesSebastien Ratel
Clermont Universite, Universite Blaise Pascal, EA 3533, Laboratoire de Biologie des Activités Physiques et Sportives, Clermont Ferrand, France
Med Sport Sci 56:84-96. 2011..Strategies for enhancing the effectiveness and safety of youth resistance and high-intensity exercise training are discussed in this chapter...
- Acid-base balance during repeated cycling sprints in boys and menS Ratel
Laboratoire Interuniversitaire de Biologie des Activités Physiques et Sportives, F 63001 Clermont Ferrand, France
J Appl Physiol 92:479-85. 2002..To conclude, during repeated sprints, the ventilatory regulation related to the change in acid-base balance induced by lactic acidosis was more important during the first rest intervals in the boys compared with the men...