- Acute versus chronic partial sleep deprivation in middle-aged people: differential effect on performance and sleepinessPierre Philip
Universite de Bordeaux, sommeil, Attention et Neuropsychiatrie, USR 3413, F 33000 Bordeaux, France
Sleep 35:997-1002. 2012..To evaluate the effects of acute sleep deprivation and chronic sleep restriction on vigilance, performance, and self-perception of sleepiness...
- [Sleep and accidents]Pierre Philip
Universite de Bordeaux, sommeil, Attention et Neuropsychiatrie, USR 3413, Hôpital Pellegrin Tripode 13e etage, Place Amélie Raba Léon 33076 Bordeaux Cedex
Bull Acad Natl Med 195:1635-43; discussion 1643. 2011..Strategies to reduce accidents related to sleepiness include--reliable diagnosis and treatment of sleep disorders,--management of chronobiological conflicts,--adequate catch-up sleep, and--countermeasures against sleepiness at the wheel...
- Sleep disorders and accidental risk in a large group of regular registered highway driversPierre Philip
Universite Bordeaux 2, CNRS, GENPPHASS, CHU Bordeaux, France
Sleep Med 11:973-9. 2010..Sleep disorders can affect driving skills, but the relative impact of sleep complaints among a large population of highway drivers is still unknown...
- Maintenance of Wakefulness Test, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome, and driving riskPierre Philip
Universite Bordeaux 2, Paris, France
Ann Neurol 64:410-6. 2008....
- Influence of age, circadian and homeostatic processes on inhibitory motor control: a Go/Nogo task studyPatricia Sagaspe
CNRS USR 3413 SANPSY, Sleep, Attention and NeuroPSYchiatrie, Universite de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 7:e39410. 2012..The aim of our study was to determine the age-related evolution of inhibitory motor control (i.e., ability to suppress a prepotent motor response) and sustained attention under controlled high or low sleep pressure conditions...
- In-car nocturnal blue light exposure improves motorway driving: a randomized controlled trialJacques Taillard
University of Bordeaux, sommeil, Attention et Neuropsychiatrie, USR 3413, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 7:e46750. 2012..More studies are needed to determine the reproducibility of data and to verify if it can be generalized to women. Trial registration: ClinicalTrials.gov NCT01070004...
- Sleepiness, near-misses and driving accidents among a representative population of French driversPatricia Sagaspe
INRETS LCPC, LEPSiS, Paris, France
J Sleep Res 19:578-84. 2010..64, P < 0.001). Sleepiness at the wheel is a risk factor as important as age for traffic accidents. Near-misses are highly correlated to sleepiness at the wheel and should be considered as strong warning signals for future accidents...
- Time course of neurobehavioral alertness during extended wakefulness in morning- and evening-type healthy sleepersJacques Taillard
sommeil, Attention et Neuropsychiatrie, Universite de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Chronobiol Int 28:520-7. 2011..The authors suggest that evening-type subjects have a higher voluntary engagement of wake-maintenance mechanisms during extended wakefulness due to adaptation of their sleep-wake schedule to social constraints...
- Might the Berlin Sleep Questionnaire applied to bed partners be used to screen sleep apneic patients?Patricia Sagaspe
GENPPHASS, CHU Pellegrin, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Sleep Med 11:479-83. 2010..e., stroke patients). We therefore created a modified version of the questionnaire to be used in patients' bed partners to test whether it could give identical results to the original form of BSQ...
- Extended driving impairs nocturnal driving performancesPatricia Sagaspe
GENPPHASS, CHU Pellegrin, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 3:e3493. 2008..05) and increased significantly during the nocturnal driving sessions compared to the reference session (P<.01). At night, extended driving impairs driving performances and therefore should be limited...
- Socio-professional handicap and accidental risk in patients with hypersomnias of central originVirginie Bayon
Université Paris Descartes Faculté de Médecine, APHP Hôtel Dieu Centre du Sommeil et de la Vigilance, Paris, France
Sleep Med Rev 13:421-6. 2009..Finally, medical treatment does not seem to be completely efficient and physicians should pay more attention to the education, work, life and social environment of their patients...
- Sharp and sleepy: evidence for dissociation between sleep pressure and nocturnal performanceElodie Galliaud
GENPPHASS, CHU Pellegrin, Bordeaux, France
J Sleep Res 17:11-5. 2008..01) identically in both categories (rANOVA, NS). Resistant subjects sustained their reaction time independently of the increase in homeostatic pressure. The phenotypic determinants of vulnerability to extended wakefulness remain unknown...
- Underexposure to light at work and its association to insomnia and sleepiness: a cross-sectional study of 13,296 workers of one transportation companyDamien Leger
Universite Paris Descartes, APHP, Hotel Dieu, Centre du sommeil et de la vigilance, Paris, France
J Psychosom Res 70:29-36. 2011..This study tried to assess the prevalence of sleep and wake disorders in subjects working in environments that are not exposed to natural light...
- Effects of sleep deprivation on Color-Word, Emotional, and Specific Stroop interference and on self-reported anxietyPatricia Sagaspe
Departement de Psychologie, Laboratoire EA 3662, Universite Bordeaux 2, Victor Segalen, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Brain Cogn 60:76-87. 2006..Moreover, total sleep deprivation does not affect interference control in any of the three short Stroop tasks...
- Prolonged nocturnal driving can be as dangerous as severe alcohol-impaired drivingJoris C Verster
Utrecht University, Utrecht Institute for Pharmaceutical Sciences, Division of Pharmacology, Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Sleep Res 20:585-8. 2011..05%; after 3 h of driving impairment corresponds to a BAC of 0.08%. In conclusion, a maximum of two continuous nocturnal driving hours should be recommended...
- Nocturnal sustained attention during sleep deprivation can be predicted by specific periods of subjective daytime alertness in normal young humansJacques Taillard
CNRS UMR5543, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, France
J Sleep Res 15:41-5. 2006..80, > 60% of explained variance) which better predicted the decrease in performances of nocturnal operational tasks requiring sustained attention...
- Validation of Horne and Ostberg morningness-eveningness questionnaire in a middle-aged population of French workersJacques Taillard
Clinique du Sommeil, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Biol Rhythms 19:76-86. 2004..This study confirms that "owls" are not rare in a middle-aged sample. We conclude that this adapted MEQ could be useful when investigating age-related changes in sleep...
- The circadian and homeostatic modulation of sleep pressure during wakefulness differs between morning and evening chronotypesJacques Taillard
Clinique du Sommeil, CHU de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
J Sleep Res 12:275-82. 2003..These results suggest that both the circadian signal and the kinetics of sleep pressure buildup differ between the two chronotypes even under prior naturalistic conditions mimicking the usual working day...