- Consequences of plant-herbivore coevolution on the dynamics and functioning of ecosystemsNicolas Loeuille
Laboratoire d Ecologie, UMR 7625, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rue d Ulm, F 75230 Paris cedex 05, France
J Theor Biol 217:369-81. 2002..This emphasizes the importance of including explicit nutrient dynamics in studies of plant-herbivore coevolution...
- Nutrient enrichment and food chains: can evolution buffer top-down control?Nicolas Loeuille
Laboratoire d Ecologie, Ecole Normale Superieure, UMR 7625, 46 rue d Ulm, F 75230 Paris, Cedex 05, France
Theor Popul Biol 65:285-98. 2004..This stresses the need for experimental data on phenotypic traits, their costs and their influence on the interactions between organisms and the rest of the community...
- Intrinsic and climatic factors in North-American animal population dynamicsNicolas Loeuille
Laboratoire d Ecologie, UMR 7625, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rue d Ulm, F 75230 Paris, France
BMC Ecol 4:6. 2004..Several attempts have been made to relate these to climatic cycles. We use advanced time series analysis methods to attribute cyclicities in several North-American mammal species to abiotic vs. biotic factors...
- Evolutionary emergence of size-structured food websNicolas Loeuille
Laboratoire d Ecologie, Unite Mixte de Recherche 7625, Ecole Normale Superieure, 46 rue d Ulm, F 75230 Paris Cedex 5, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:5761-6. 2005..Variations of two key parameters (width of consumption niche and competition intensity) allow very different food-web structures and functionings to emerge, which are similar to those observed in some of the best-documented food webs...
- Influence of evolution on the stability of ecological communitiesNicolas Loeuille
Laboratoire Ecologie et Evolution, Universite Pierre and Marie Curie, CNRS, UMR 7625, 7 quai St Bernard, Case 237, F 75005 Paris, France
Ecol Lett 13:1536-45. 2010..Stabilization decreases with diversity and evolution becomes destabilizing in very diverse communities. This suggests that evolution may not counteract the destabilizing effect of diversity observed in random communities...
- Evolution in metacommunities: on the relative importance of species sorting and monopolization in structuring communitiesNicolas Loeuille
University of Texas, Section of Integrative Biology, Austin, Texas 78712, USA
Am Nat 171:788-99. 2008..Our findings indicate that there can be strong modification of community assembly by local adaptive processes and that these depend strongly on the relative rates of evolution, dispersal, and environmental change...
- The evolutionary ecology of metacommunitiesMark C Urban
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis, Santa Barbara, CA 93101, USA
Trends Ecol Evol 23:311-7. 2008..We demonstrate that such an approach generates several novel outcomes and substantially enhances understanding of both ecological and evolutionary phenomena in three core research areas at the interface of ecology and evolution...
- Evolution of body size in food webs: does the energetic equivalence rule hold?Nicolas Loeuille
Ecol Lett 9:171-8. 2006..Our model emphasizes the importance of considering the influence of body size on species interactions in attempting to explain large-scale patterns related to body size...