- [COPD: from early symptoms to chronic respiratory failure]Romain Kessler
Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg 2
Rev Prat 54:1414-8. 2004..Each smoker has to be considered as potentially having COPD. Lung function measurements are required in these patients...
- Evaluation of unattended automated titration to determine therapeutic continuous positive airway pressure in patients with obstructive sleep apneaRomain Kessler
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, France
Chest 123:704-10. 2003..The aims of the present study were to compare two different devices for automated titration and to verify if unattended automated titration is a feasible strategy to determine the therapeutic CPAP...
- [Sleep and COPD]R Kessler
Service de Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg
Rev Mal Respir 23:7S62-7S64. 2006
- [Non-apneic sleep-disordered breathing]R Kessler
Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, France
Rev Mal Respir 24:669-72. 2007
- The obesity-hypoventilation syndrome revisited: a prospective study of 34 consecutive casesR Kessler
Department of Pulmonology and Sleep Laboratory, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Chest 120:369-76. 2001..We compare also OHS patients with a group of patients with the association of OSAS and COPD, also known as "overlap" patients...
- Patient understanding, detection, and experience of COPD exacerbations: an observational, interview-based studyRomain Kessler
Department of Pulmonology, Hôpital de Hautpierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Chest 130:133-42. 2006..This study was conducted to gain insight into patients' comprehension, recognition, and experience of exacerbations of COPD, and to explore the patient burden associated with these events...
- Symptom variability in patients with severe COPD: a pan-European cross-sectional studyR Kessler
Dept of PneumologyNouvel Hôpital Civil, Strasbourg 67000, France
Eur Respir J 37:264-72. 2011..Patient-perceived COPD symptoms vary over the day and the week, and impact on daily activities; morning being the worst time of day. The majority of patients appear not to adjust treatment when symptoms worsen...
- [Pulmonary function tests in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Emmanuel Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Nouvel Hopital Civil, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg Cedex, France
Presse Med 38:421-31. 2009..Measurement of CO transfer capacity is recommended in the presence of emphysema; cardiopulmonary exercise testing (bicycle) is recommended before initiating exercise training...
- Pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and interstitial lung diseasesEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Department of Pulmonology, Nouvel Hopital Civil, 67091 Strasbourg, France
Semin Respir Crit Care Med 30:458-70. 2009..New" vasodilator drugs have rarely been used in COPD and ILD patients exhibiting severe PH. In advanced ILD the presence of PH is a supplemental argument for considering lung transplantation...
- Severe pulmonary hypertension and chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseAri Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Avenue Moliere, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 172:189-94. 2005..Severe pulmonary hypertension occurs occasionally in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), but no detailed description of these patients is available...
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and sleep apnea syndromeE Weitzenblum
Department of Pulmonology, , France
Sleep 15:S33-5. 1992..We conclude that the risk of developing respiratory insufficiency and cor pulmonale is higher in overlap patients...
- Cough and sputum production are associated with frequent exacerbations and hospitalizations in COPD subjectsPierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, Paris Cedex 14, France
Chest 135:975-82. 2009..Our objective was to identify features associated with chronic cough and sputum production in COPD subjects...
- Successful treatment of Fusarium proliferatum pneumonia with posaconazole in a lung transplant recipientRaoul Herbrecht
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg, France
J Heart Lung Transplant 23:1451-4. 2004..Posaconazole may provide effective treatment for difficult-to-treat Fusarium infections...
- Overlap syndrome: obstructive sleep apnea in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Departement de Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaries de Strasbourg, France
Proc Am Thorac Soc 5:237-41. 2008..Patients who are markedly hypoxemic during daytime (Pa(O(2)) < 55-60 mm Hg) should be given conventional long-term O(2) therapy in addition to nocturnal ventilation...
- Plasma DNA microsatellite panel as sensitive and tumor-specific marker in lung cancer patientsMichèle Beau-Faller
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Biologie Moĺculaire, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Int J Cancer 105:361-70. 2003..Analysis of plasma DNA using this targeted panel could be a valuable noninvasive test and a useful tool to monitor disease progression without assessing the tumor...
- Long-term survival in post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorders with a dose-adjusted ACVBP regimenCécile Fohrer
Department of Haematology and Oncology, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Br J Haematol 134:602-12. 2006..Forty-one (32%) infections were recorded in 26 (79%) patients. This study demonstrated that an individual dose-adjustment of ACVBP regimen was manageable in PTLD patients and favourably impacted on long-term survival...
- Bronchial carcinoid tumors of the thorax: spectrum of radiologic findingsMi Young Jeung
Department of Radiology B, University Hospital of Strasbourg, France
Radiographics 22:351-65. 2002..Therefore, understanding the histologic, clinical, and radiologic features of bronchial carcinoids facilitates accurate diagnosis and helps optimize surgical planning...
- Combined pancreatic islet-lung transplantation: a novel approach to the treatment of end-stage cystic fibrosisL Kessler
Department of Diabetology, University Hospital, University of Strasbourg, France
Am J Transplant 10:1707-12. 2010..Pulmonary function remained satisfactory in all patients. In conclusion, our cases series shows that combined bilateral lung and pancreatic islet transplantation may be a viable therapeutic option for patients with end-stage CF and CFRD...
- Outcome of COPD patients with mild daytime hypoxaemia with or without sleep-related oxygen desaturationA Chaouat
Dept of Pneumology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Eur Respir J 17:848-55. 2001..Such isolated nocturnal hypoxaemia or sleep-related worsening of moderate daytime hypoxaemia does not appear to favour the development of pulmonary hypertension, nor to lead to worsening of daytime blood gases...
- [The Overlap Syndrome: association of COPD and Obstructive Sleep Apnoea]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Nouvel Hopital Civil, CHU de Strasbourg, 1, Place de l Hopital, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Mal Respir 27:329-40. 2010..Patients who are markedly hypoxaemic during the daytime (PaO(2)<55-60 mmHg) should be given conventional long-term O(2) therapy in addition to nocturnal ventilation...
- [Obesity-hypoventilation syndrome]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Pôle de Pathologie Thoracique, Hopital de Hautepierre, CHU de Strasbourg, France
Rev Mal Respir 25:391-403. 2008..It is defined as chronic alveolar hypoventilation (PaO2<70 mmHg, PaCO2 > or =45 mmHg) in obese patients (body mass index>30 kg/m2) who have no other respiratory disease explaining the hypoxemia-hypercapnia...
- [Pulmonary hypertension associated with disorders of the respiratory system]A Chaouat
Service de Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg
Presse Med 34:1465-74. 2005..Oxygen therapy (at least 16 h/day) is currently the best treatment for this type of pulmonary arterial hypertension...
- Local control of disease and survival following bronchoplastic lobectomy for non-small cell lung cancerG Massard
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique and Institut de Pathologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 16:276-82. 1999..This study was designed to determine whether bronchoplastic resection could be an alternative to pneumonectomy in patients with operable primary lung cancer...
- Prognostic implications of a positive bronchial resection marginG Massard
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 17:557-65. 2000....
- Lung cancer following previous extrapulmonary malignancyG Massard
Service de Chirurgie Thoracique, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, F 67091, Strasbourg, France
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 18:524-8. 2000..Having demonstrated a poor prognosis of operable lung cancer in patients with previous head and neck malignancies, we intended to evaluate prognosis of lung cancer in patients with a history of extrapulmonary and extracervical malignancies...
- Etoposide phosphate with carboplatin in the treatment of elderly patients with small-cell lung cancer: a phase II studyE Quoix
Pulmonology Unit, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Ann Oncol 12:957-62. 2001..We conducted a study to evaluate the efficacy and tolerability of a combination therapy with carboplatin (C) and etoposide phosphate (EP) in elderly patients with Small-Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC)...
- [Physiological functional tests to evaluate pulmonary arterial hypertension]A Chaouat
Departement de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Strasbourg, France
Rev Mal Respir 22:991-7. 2005..Pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) is a rare and complex disease, which requires careful diagnostic evaluation...
- Anomalous Pulmonary Venous Return of the Left Upper Lobe in a Donor LungAnne Olland
Groupe de transplantation pulmonaire, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France EA 7293 Stress Vasculaire et Tissulaire en Transplantation, Fédération de Médecine Translationnelle de Strasbourg, Faculté de médecine de Strasbourg, Universite de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France Electronic address
Ann Thorac Surg 99:2199-202. 2015..This is the third reported case of partial anomalous pulmonary venous return in a donor lung, but the first description of direct ex vivo suture into the donor cuff. ..
- Correlation between high-resolution computed tomography findings and lung function in pulmonary Langerhans cell histiocytosisMatthieu Canuet
Department of Pneumology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Respiration 74:640-6. 2007..The correlation between high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT) findings and lung function have not been studied in depth...
- Pulmonary hypertension in chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseEmmanuel Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Nouvel Hopital Civil, 67091 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Pneumonol Alergol Pol 81:390-8. 2013..Patients with severe PH should be referred to a specialist PH centre where the possibility of inclusion in a controlled clinical trial should be considered...
- Disseminated Trichosporon mycotoxinivorans, Aspergillus fumigatus, and Scedosporium apiospermum coinfection after lung and liver transplantation in a cystic fibrosis patientSandrine Hirschi
Service de Pneumologie, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France
J Clin Microbiol 50:4168-70. 2012..We report the first case of a disseminated fatal infection with T. mycotoxinivorans associated with invasive Aspergillus fumigatus and Scedosporium apiospermum infection after lung and liver transplantation in a cystic fibrosis patient...
- [Alveolar hypoventilation in the obese: the obesity-hypoventilation syndrome]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital de Hautepierre, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Pneumol Clin 58:83-90. 2002..It should be recalled that the term Pickwickian syndrome designates obesity-hypoventilation syndrome (with or without obstructive apnea) and not obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- Primary lung cancer in lung transplant recipientsAnne B M Olland
Groupe de transplantation pulmonaire, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Strasbourg, France EA7293, stress vasculaire et tissulaire en transplantation, Universite de Strasbourg, Faculte de Pharmacie, Illkirch, France
Ann Thorac Surg 98:362-71. 2014..Prognosis is comparable to a general population in resected stage I cancer and is less favorable in advanced stages. ..
- 18F-FDG PET/CT in sarcoidosis management: review and report of 20 casesJean Jacques Braun
Service ORL, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67098, Strasbourg, France
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 35:1537-43. 2008..To evaluate the interest of (18)F-fluoro-2-deoxy-D: -glucose positron emission tomography/computed tomography ((18)F-FDG PET/CT) for diagnosis and therapeutic follow-up of patients with sarcoidosis...
- "Natural history" of pulmonary hypertension in a series of 131 patients with chronic obstructive lung diseaseR Kessler
Service de Pneumologie, , , 67 200 Strasbourg, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 164:219-24. 2001..However, in individual cases, the models of linear or logistic regression do not allow a pertinent prediction of the level of Ppa or the presence of PH at the second right heart catheterization...
- Allelic imbalance at loci containing FGFR, FGF, c-Met and HGF candidate genes in non-small cell lung cancer sub-types, implication for progressionM Beau-Faller
Laboratoire de Biochimie et de Biologie Moleculaire, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, 67000 Strasbourg, France
Eur J Cancer 39:2538-47. 2003..Finally, alterations at loci containing FGFR and HGF candidate genes were inversely correlated to the lymph node status in SQC and ADC, respectively...
- [Long-term oxygen therapy for chronic respiratory failure. Rationale, indications, modalities]E Weitzenblum
Service de Pneumologie, hôpital universitaire de Strasbourg, 67098 Strasbourg Cedex, France
Rev Pneumol Clin 58:195-212. 2002..Patient compliance is however often insufficient. In addition to education, the best way to improve patient participation is to strive for improved quality of life with oxygen therapy (portable device, liquid oxygen) in these patients...
- [When should patients be referred by the physician to the lung transplant team? Patient selection, indications, timing of referral and preparation for lung transplantation]M Reynaud-Gaubert
Service de Pneumologie, CHU Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Rev Mal Respir 25:1251-9. 2008..Appropriate patients who have good chance of survival with transplantation should be identified carefully...
- [Use of linezolid for the treatment of lung infections in adults with cystic fibrosis]D Betton
Service de Pharmacie, Hopital de Hautepierre, Hopitaux Universitaires de Strasbourg, Avenue Moliere, 67097 Strasbourg Cedex
Rev Pneumol Clin 62:374-8. 2006....
- [Thoracic impairment from familial Mediterranean fever: review of the literature and a case study]G Wirtz
Service de Pneumologie, CHU de Strasbourg, 1, Place de l Hopital, 67000, Strasbourg, France
Rev Pneumol Clin 65:313-7. 2009..The authors also discuss the association of mesothelioma and FMF. Colchicine is successfully used in the treatment of FMF...
- Continuous glucose monitoring in cystic fibrosis patients according to the glucose toleranceF Moreau
Department of Endocrinology and Diabetology, University Hospital, Strasbourg, France
Horm Metab Res 40:502-6. 2008..CGMS could be a useful tool for the early detection of hyperglycemia in patients with CF...
- Combined pancreatic islet-lung transplantation with islet percutaneous portal embolization in cystic fibrosisLaurence Kessler
Transplantation 85:1670-1. 2008