- [Cocaine addiction: current data for the clinician]Laurent Karila
Universite Paris Sud 11, AP HP, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, Centre d enseignement, de Recherche et de Traitement des Addictions, CEA INSERM U1000, Villejuif, France Electronic address
Presse Med 43:9-17. 2014..Targeting somatic and psychiatric comorbidity is another way to use pharmacological treatments in addictions. ..
- [Tobacco use and illicit substance use disorders: what should we have to do?]Laurent Karila
AP HP, Universite Paris Sud 11, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, Centre d enseignement, de Recherche et de Traitement des Addictions, CEA INSERM U1000, 94800 Villejuif, France
Presse Med 42:795-805. 2013..Currently, there are no official medical recommendations for the treatment of tobacco addiction in illicit polysubstance users...
- Diagnosis and consequences of cocaine addictionL Karila
Addiction Research and Treatment Center, Paul Brousse Hospital, Paris Sud 11 University, AP HP, INSERM CEA U1000, Villejuif, France
Curr Med Chem 19:5612-8. 2012..Literature searches were conducted for the period from January 1985 to February 2012 using PubMed, EMBASE, PsycInfo, and Google Scholar...
- [Drug addiction and addictive behavior. Part 2 - alcohol, psychoactive and illicit substances]Laurent Karila
Universite Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, F 94276, France
Rev Prat 58:1131-40; quiz 1149. 2008
- [Cocaine: from recreational use to dependence]Laurent Karila
Centre d enseignement, de Recherche et de Traitement des Addictions, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, AP HP, CEA Inserm U797, Universite Paris XI, 94804 Villejuif Cedex
Rev Prat 59:821-5. 2009....
- [Complications of cocaine addiction]Laurent Karila
Clinique Montevideo, 92100 Boulogne Billancourt
Rev Prat 59:825-9. 2009..Psychiatric complications found in clinical practice are major depressive disorders, cocaine-induced paranoia, cocaine-induced compulsive foraging and panic attacks...
- [Therapeutic approaches to cocaine addiction]Laurent Karila
Centre d enseignement, de Recherche et de Traitement des Addictions, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, AP HP, INSERM U669, Universite Paris XI, 94804 Villejuif Cedex
Rev Prat 59:830-4. 2009..Partial agonists at the dopamine D2 receptor and anticocaine vaccines are other promising treatment approaches. It is important to clearly differentiate the detoxification treatment and the relapse prevention treatment phases...
- Pharmacological approaches to methamphetamine dependence: a focused reviewLaurent Karila
Addiction Research and Treatment Center, Paul Brousse Hospital, Paris XI University, AP HP, CEA INSERM U1000, Villejuif, France
Br J Clin Pharmacol 69:578-92. 2010..Despite the lack of success in most studies to date, increasing efforts are being made to develop medications for the treatment of methamphetamine dependence and several promising agents are targets of further research...
- [Which are the predictive factors to be ranked within the 500 first medical students at the national ranking exam? A cross-sectional study of the 2009 class]L Karila
CEA INSERM U1000, Département d Addictologie, Centre d enseignement, de recherche et de traitements des addictions, Hopital Paul Brousse, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Faculte de Medecine Paris Sud, Universite Paris XI, 12, avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94804 Villejuif Cedex, France
Rev Med Interne 32:400-5. 2011..The objective of this study was to analyze, during a transversal study, the predictive sociodemographic and individual factors to be ranked within the first 500 medical students in the 2009 French national ranking exam (NRE)...
- [Current pharmacotherapies and immunotherapy in cocaine addiction]Laurent Karila
Universite Paris Sud, F 94276 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Presse Med 37:689-98. 2008..However, this must be confirmed in larger patient populations...
- New treatments for cocaine dependence: a focused reviewLaurent Karila
INSERM, U797, Hospital Department Frederic Joliot, 12BM, Orsay, France
Int J Neuropsychopharmacol 11:425-38. 2008..An anti-cocaine vaccine and several compounds in preclinical development have also shown promise. Findings from early clinical trials must be confirmed in larger, less selective patient populations...
- [Short- and long-term consequences of prenatal exposure to cannabis]L Karila
Département d Addictologie et de Psychiatrie, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif
J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris) 35:62-70. 2006..and behavior of newborns, children and teenagers...
- Protective effect against alcohol dependence of the thermolabile variant of MTHFRRaphael Saffroy
Service de Biochimie et Biologie Moléculaire, INSERM 602, Universite Paris XI, Hopital Paul Brousse, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 94800 Villejuif, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 96:30-6. 2008..Our objective was to study the prevalence of the MTHFR C677T polymorphism in alcohol-dependent subjects and the influence of this polymorphism on symptoms associated with alcoholism...
- [Doctors to be have a lack of interest for general practice. Results from a national Poll in a population of 1 870 undergraduate french medical students concerning speciality choice]Jeremie H Lefevre
Service de Chirurgie digestive de l hôpital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Groupe Hospitalo Universitaire EST, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Universite Paris VI, Paris, France
Presse Med 39:e58-65. 2010..Analyze the professional wishes of a large sample of medical students in their 6(th) year before the National Ranking Exam...
- Is love passion an addictive disorder?Michel Reynaud
INSERM, U, Paris, France
Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse 36:261-7. 2010..Inquiry regarding the relationship between passionate love and addiction has long been a topic of intense debate. Recent advances in neurobiology now allow for an examination between these two states...
- Association between MTHFR 677C-T polymorphism and alcohol dependence according to Lesch and Babor typologyAmine Benyamina
Service d Addictologie, Hopital Paul Brousse, Paul Vaillant Couturier, Villejuif Cedex, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Addict Biol 14:503-5. 2009..MTHFR TT was also associated with hyperhomocysteinemia. Determining MTHFR 677C-T genotype, folate and vitamin B12 levels could assist physicians in identifying type 3 patients and improve addictions management...
- Career choices of medical students: a national survey of 1780 studentsJeremie H Lefevre
Department of Digestive Surgery, Saint Antoine Hospital Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP, Pierre et Marie Curie Faculty of Medicine, University of Paris VI, Paris, France
Med Educ 44:603-12. 2010....
- Motivation of French medical students to pursue surgical careers: results of national survey of 1742 studentsJeremie H Lefevre
Service de Chirurgie Digestive, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Groupe Hospitalo Universitaire EST, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Universite Paris VI, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
J Visc Surg 147:e181-6. 2010..Analyze the aspirations and personal motivations behind the choice of surgical specialties in a large sample of students in their 6th year of medical school...
- Association between ABCB1 C3435T polymorphism and increased risk of cannabis dependenceAmine Benyamina
INSERM, U669, Paris, France
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 33:1270-4. 2009..ABCB1 polymorphisms may alter Delta9THC distribution, its psychoactive effects and individual vulnerability to dependence. These results pave the way to a new pharmacogenetic hypothesis in cannabis dependence...
- [Is the learning process of "evidence-based medicine" influenced by determined factors? Results from a national survey of 1870 French students in their sixth year]Morgan Roupret
Universite Paris VI, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Service d Urologie, 75013 Paris, France
Presse Med 39:e126-33. 2010..To investigate the baseline level of knowledge of evidence based medicine (EBM) concepts in a sample of French medical students in their sixth year of training...
- [Cocaine induced psychotic disorders: a review]L Karila
Centre d enseignement, de Recherche et de Traitement des Addictions, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, France
Rev Med Liege 65:623-7. 2010..This review is based on Medline, EMBASE, PsycINFO and Google Scholar searches of English and French-language articles published between 1969 and February, 2010...
- The reliability and validity of the French version of the Cocaine Craving Questionnaire-BriefL Karila
Addiction Research and Treatment Center, Paul Brousse Hospital Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris AP HP, Villejuif, France
Curr Pharm Des 17:1369-75. 2011..However, no craving scale exists in French. The objective of our study was to assess the reliability and validity of a French language version of the 10-item Cocaine Craving Questionnaire-Brief (CCQ-Brief)...
- [Validation of a questionnaire to screen for harmful use of alcohol and cannabis in the general population: CRAFFT-ADOSPA]Laurent Karila
Département d Addictologie et de Psychiatrie, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, APHP INSERM U669, Villejuif
Presse Med 36:582-90. 2007..The aim of the ADOTECNO study was therefore to develop simple and efficient tools for this purpose...
- [Acute and chronic cognitive disorders caused by cannabis use]Laurent Karila
Département de psychiatrie et d addictologie, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, 94804 Villejuif Cedex
Rev Prat 55:23-6; discussion 27-9. 2005..Methodological differences could partly affect these observations. Therefore it seems necessary to develop studies with larger samples...
- [Neuroimaging and cocaine: mapping dependence?]Gérard Lambert
Clinique Montevideo, F 92100 Boulogne Billancourt, France
Presse Med 37:679-88. 2008..Neuroimaging has no recognized clinical indications in the field of dependence or more generally in psychiatry, but it is an essential research tool...
- [Gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB): more than a date rape drug, a potentially addictive drug]Laurent Karila
Universite Paris Sud, F 94276 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
Presse Med 38:1526-38. 2009..These undesirable effects and especially the deaths appear to have prompted campaigns to limit the use of GHB. Clinicians must also be aware of GBL, which is being sold and used as a substitute for GHB...
- [Cognitive modifications associated with tobacco smoking]Marie Lecacheux
Universite Paris Sud, Le Kremlin Bicetre, INSERM U669, Paris, Hopital Paul Brousse, Villejuif, France
Presse Med 38:1241-52. 2009..It is associated with cognitive disorders which tend to maintain addictive mechanisms. In the short term, the nicotine contained in tobacco enhances attention and memory...
- [Progressive cannabis-induced arteritis: a clinical thromboangiitis obliterans sub-group?]Laurent Karila
Département de psychiatrie et d addictologie, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, Universite Paris XI, Villejuif 94
Presse Med 33:21-3. 2004..Since the end of the nineteen-nineties, cannabis is not only incriminated in the onset of thromboangiitis obliterans but also in inducing artheromatous lesions in young subjects...
- [Substance abuse in adolescents]Jean Vignau
Service d addictologie CHRU clinique de la Charité 59037 Lille
Rev Prat 53:1315-9. 2003..Treatment of problematic drug abuse in adolescents is based on both contextual interventions including systematic support of the families and a multidisciplinary approach...
- [Cognitive disorders and chronic use of cannabis]Laurent Karila
Département de Psychiatrie et d Addictologie Pr M Reynaud, Hôpital Universitaire Paul Brousse, Paris XI, 12 14, avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94808 Villejuif Cedex
Ann Med Interne (Paris) 154:S58-64. 2003..Based on data reported in the literature, we report the cognitive effects associated with chronic use of cannabis as well as its social and educational consequences...
- Intravenous zolpidem abuse: a case for serotonin depletionAmine Benyamina
Am J Addict 16:534. 2007
- Self-mutilation induced by cocaine abuse: the pleasure of bleedingLaurent Karila
Universite Paris Sud, U669, Le Kremlin Bicêtre 94
Presse Med 36:235-7. 2007..Amphetamine use, but not cocaine use, has previously been associated with severe self-injurious behavior...
- [Role of psychostimulants in hyperactive children]Frédéric Kochman
Unité de pédopsychiatrie D Daniel Bayart EPSM Agglomération lilloise 59871 Saint André
Rev Prat 52:2017-22. 2002..e. social and/or educative problems). As a differential diagnosis, the hypothesis of an early-onset bipolar disorder should be systematically assessed because of the huge symptomatic overlaps between the two illnesses...