- Study of the tolerance of infliximab infusions with or without betamethasone premedication in patients with active rheumatoid arthritisJ Sany
Service d Immuno Rhumatologie, Hopital Lapeyronie, 371 Avenue du Doyen Gaston Giraud, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Ann Rheum Dis 64:1647-9. 2005..To determine whether patients with an atopic diathesis had a better response to corticosteroid pretreatment than those without, and the course of patients' functional capacity and quality of life...
- Specific plasma membrane protein phenotype of culture-amplified and native human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cellsBruno Delorme
INSERM, Equipe ESPRI EA 3855, Faculty of Medicine, University Francois Rabelais, 10 boulevard Tonnelle, Tours, France
Blood 111:2631-5. 2008..In addition, the expression of CD73, CD146, and CD200 was down-regulated in differentiated cells. The new marker CD200, because of its specificity and immunomodulatory properties, deserves further in-depth studies...
- Microenvironmental changes during differentiation of mesenchymal stem cells towards chondrocytesFarida Djouad
INSERM, U 844, 80 avenue Augustin Fliche, Montpellier, F 34091 France
Arthritis Res Ther 9:R33. 2007..Our data suggest that crosstalk between ECM components of the microenvironment and MSCs within the cartilage is responsible for the differentiation of MSCs into chondrocytes...
- Immunomodulatory properties of mesenchymal stem cells: a review based on an interdisciplinary meeting held at the Kennedy Institute of Rheumatology Division, London, UK, 31 October 2005Alan Tyndall
Rheumatology, University Hospital Basel, Felix Platter Spital, Burgfelderstrasse 101, Basel, CH 4012, Switzerland
Arthritis Res Ther 9:301. 2007..This review summarizes the findings of a 1-day meeting devoted to the subject with the aim of coordinating efforts...
- Transcriptional profiles discriminate bone marrow-derived and synovium-derived mesenchymal stem cellsFarida Djouad
INSERM Unit 475, Montpellier, France
Arthritis Res Ther 7:R1304-15. 2005....
- Tissue engineering through autologous mesenchymal stem cellsChristian Jorgensen
Service d Immuno Rhumatologie, Hopital Lapeyronie, 34295 Montpellier, Cedex 5, France
Curr Opin Biotechnol 15:406-10. 2004..The long-term behavior of MSCs associated with biomaterials and implanted in pathological joints remains to be investigated before clinical application in osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis...
- Could inflammatory arthritis be triggered by progenitor cells in the joints?C Jorgensen
Immuno Rheumatology Department, INSERM U475, 34295 Montpellier, France
Ann Rheum Dis 61:6-9. 2002
- Multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells in articular diseasesChristian Jorgensen
INSERM U844, CHU Saint Eloi, bâtiment INM, 80 avenue Augustin Fliche, Montpellier F 34091, France
Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol 22:269-84. 2008..This chapter focuses on the potential of MSC to repair cartilage, with an emphasis on the factors that are known to be required in inducing chondrogenesis and on their immunosuppressive potential...
- Paradoxical effects of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 1 gene transfer in collagen-induced arthritisF Apparailly
INSERM U475, Montpellier, France
Arthritis Rheum 44:1444-54. 2001....
- Cytosolic phospholipase A2α gene silencing in the myeloid lineage alters development of Th1 responses and reduces disease severity in collagen-induced arthritisG Courties
Inserm U 844, Hopital Saint Eloi, and Université Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
Arthritis Rheum 63:681-90. 2011....
- Adenovirus-mediated gene transfer of urokinase plasminogen inhibitor inhibits angiogenesis in experimental arthritisF Apparailly
INSERM U475, Montpellier, France
Gene Ther 9:192-200. 2002..The preventive effect observed on arthritis was related to the decrease in angiogenesis, rather than inhibition of extracellular matrix degradation...
- Longitudinal determination of antiphospholipid antibodies in lupus patients without previous manifestations of antiphospholipid syndrome. A prospective studyM De Bandt
Rheumatology Unit, Bichat Teaching Hospital, Paris, France
J Rheumatol 26:91-6. 1999..To investigate whether serial anticardiolipin determination contributes to the clinical management of patients with systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE) with no previous sign of the antiphospholipid syndrome (APS)...
- Adenovirus-mediated transfer of viral IL-10 gene inhibits murine collagen-induced arthritisF Apparailly
Unité de Recherches d Immunopathologie des Maladies Tumorales et Autoimmunes, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U475, Montpellier, France
J Immunol 160:5213-20. 1998..Our data indicate that a single systemic administration of an adenoviral vector encoding vIL-10 may be a good candidate to suppress arthritis...
- miRNAs and rheumatoid arthritis - promising novel biomarkersIsabelle Duroux-Richard
INSERM U844, CHU Saint Eloi, bâtiment INM, 80 rue Augustin Fliche, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Swiss Med Wkly 141:w13175. 2011..As a growing body of evidences reveals abnormal expression of specific miRNAs in RA tissues, the use of a blood-based miRNA signature for optimal diagnosis and treatment becomes a realistic option...
- Bone-metastatic prostate carcinoma favors mesenchymal stem cell differentiation toward osteoblasts and reduces their osteoclastogenic potentialV Fritz
INSERM U844, Hopital Saint Eloi, Montpellier, F 34295, France
J Cell Biochem 112:3234-45. 2011..Altogether, these findings allow us to propose clues to understand the mechanisms by which PC favors bone synthesis by regulating MSC outcome and properties...
- [Gene transfer immunotherapy in rheumatoid arthritis: perspectives]C Jorgensen
Service d'immunorhumatologie, , 34295 Montpellier, France
Rev Med Interne 22:163-71. 2001..The previous clinical data on gene therapy in rheumatoid arthritis are limited to feasibility studies. We believe that the efficiency of gene therapy will be obtained by combining two or more complementary targets...
- Adeno-associated virus pseudotype 5 vector improves gene transfer in arthritic jointsF Apparailly
INSERM U475, and Université Montpellier I, 34197 Montpellier, France
Hum Gene Ther 16:426-34. 2005..These findings provide a practical application for future local AAV-mediated gene therapy trials in RA...
- Feline immunodeficiency virus vectors for efficient transduction of primary human synoviocytes: application to an original model of rheumatoid arthritisYea-Lih Lin
, CNRS UPR1142, 34396 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Hum Gene Ther 15:588-96. 2004..FIV vectors appear to be promising tools for biologic research and gene therapy...
- Mesenchymal stem cells inhibit the differentiation of dendritic cells through an interleukin-6-dependent mechanismFarida Djouad
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U 844, Hopital Saint Eloi, Bât INM, 80 avenue Augustin Fliche, Montpellier, France
Stem Cells 25:2025-32. 2007..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- Multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells and immune toleranceDaniele Noel
Universite Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Leuk Lymphoma 48:1283-9. 2007..Finally, the data obtained from in vivo experimentation in various animal models as well as potential therapeutic applications will be presented...
- Immunomodulatory dendritic cells inhibit Th1 responses and arthritis via different mechanismsLeonie M van Duivenvoorde
Department of Rheumatology, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
J Immunol 179:1506-15. 2007..These data indicate that distinct mechanisms can be used by distinct DC subsets to change the outcome of autoimmunity...
- Tetracycline transcriptional silencer tightly controls transgene expression after in vivo intramuscular electrotransfer: application to interleukin 10 therapy in experimental arthritisNorma Perez
Genethon, CNRS URA 1923, 91000 Evry, France
Hum Gene Ther 13:2161-72. 2002..We conclude that the use of tTS significantly improves the utility of the rtTA system for somatic gene transfer by reducing background activity...
- Mesenchymal stem cells: an emerging tool for cancer targeting and therapyVanessa Fritz
INSERM U844, CHU Hôpital Saint Eloi Bâtiment INM, BP74103, 80 rue Augustin Fliche, 34091 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Curr Stem Cell Res Ther 3:32-42. 2008..This review highlights recent works and potential clinical applications of MSCs in this field...
- Transient down-regulation of cbfa1/Runx2 by RNA interference in murine C3H10T1/2 mesenchymal stromal cells delays in vitro and in vivo osteogenesis, but does not overtly affect chondrogenesisJan O Gordeladze
Institute of Basal Medical Sciences, Department of Biochemistry, University of Oslo, Norway
Exp Cell Res 314:1495-506. 2008..These experiments indicate that a major transient reduction of cbfa1/Runx2 expression in MSCs is sufficient to delay osteoblastic differentiation, both in vitro and in vivo, while chondrogenesis seemed to be sustained...
- Cell specific differences between human adipose-derived and mesenchymal-stromal cells despite similar differentiation potentialsDaniele Noel
INSERM U844, Montpellier, F 34091 France
Exp Cell Res 314:1575-84. 2008..In summary, our observations indicate that ADSC and MSC are fundamentally different cell types and differently committed cells...
- Concise review: adult multipotent stromal cells and cancer: risk or benefit?Gwendal Lazennec
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Montpellier, France
Stem Cells 26:1387-94. 2008..Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest is found at the end of this article...
- [Multipotent stromal cells: controversial impact on tumor development and metastasis]Florence Apparailly
INSERM, U844, INM, , 80 rue Augustin Fliche, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Med Sci (Paris) 24:359-60. 2008
- Gene therapy for rheumatoid arthritisNatacha Bessis
UPRES EA 3408 Université Paris 13 and Service de Rhumatologie CHU Avicenne, AP HP, Bobigny, France
J Gene Med 4:581-91. 2002..The best target remains to be determined and extensive research has to be conducted in preclinical studies...
- Efficient suppression of murine arthritis by combined anticytokine small interfering RNA lipoplexesMaroun Khoury
INSERM, U 844, INM, Hopital St Eloi, and Université Montpellier 1, UFR de Medecine, Montpellier, France
Arthritis Rheum 58:2356-67. 2008..As proof of concept, we tested the efficiency of an RNA interference (RNAi)-based intervention that targets proinflammatory cytokines in suppressing murine collagen-induced arthritis (CIA)...
- Tetracycline-inducible interleukin-10 gene transfer mediated by an adeno-associated virus: application to experimental arthritisFlorence Apparailly
Unité de Recherche en Immunopathologie des Maladies Tumorales et Autoimmunes, INSERM U475, France
Hum Gene Ther 13:1179-88. 2002..Our results supported, for the first time, the utility of AAV-tetON-vIL10 as a therapeutic tool for gene therapy in RA...
- Engineered mesenchymal stem cells for cartilage repairFarida Djouad
INSERM, U 475, 99 rue Puech Villa, 34197 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Regen Med 1:529-37. 2006..Here, we focus on the potential of MSCs to repair cartilage with an emphasis on the factors that are known to be required in inducing chondrogenesis...
- Efficient new cationic liposome formulation for systemic delivery of small interfering RNA silencing tumor necrosis factor alpha in experimental arthritisMaroun Khoury
INSERM U475 and University of Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
Arthritis Rheum 54:1867-77. 2006..The aim of this study was to determine the therapeutic effect of systemic administration of TNFalpha siRNA in an experimental model of RA, optimizing its delivery using new liposome formulations...
- RNAi in arthritis: prospects of a future antisense therapy in inflammationMaroun Khoury
Inserm U 844, INM Hôpital Saint Eloi, BP 74103, 80 rue Augustin Fliche, 34091 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Curr Opin Mol Ther 9:483-9. 2007..In addition, RNAi and current biotherapies used in the clinic are compared and contrasted...
- Gene therapy platform for bone regeneration using an exogenously regulated, AAV-2-based gene expression systemYossi Gafni
Skeletal Biotechnology Laboratory, Hebrew University-Hadassah Medical Center, Ein Kerem, P.O. Box 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Mol Ther 9:587-95. 2004..Thus, the Tet-regulated rAAV-hBMP-2 vector is an effective means of induction and regulation of bone regeneration and repair...
- Reversal of the immunosuppressive properties of mesenchymal stem cells by tumor necrosis factor alpha in collagen-induced arthritisFarida Djouad
INSERM U475, Montpellier, France
Arthritis Rheum 52:1595-603. 2005..CONCLUSION: Our data suggest that environmental parameters, in particular those related to inflammation, may influence the immunosuppressive properties of MSCs...
- Short-term BMP-2 expression is sufficient for in vivo osteochondral differentiation of mesenchymal stem cellsDaniele Noel
INSERM U475, Montpellier, France
Stem Cells 22:74-85. 2004....
- Chondrogenic differentiation of murine and human mesenchymal stromal cells in a hyaluronic acid scaffold: differences in gene expression and cell morphologyGina Lisignoli
Laboratorio di Immunologia e Genetica, Istituti Ortopedici Rizzoli, 40136 Bologna, Italy
J Biomed Mater Res A 77:497-506. 2006..These data demonstrate that C3H10T1/2 murine cells, widely used as a chondrogenic model, show a different sequence of chondrogenic events in hyaluronic acid scaffold, compared with primary h-MSCs...
- Mesenchymal stem cells and rheumatoid arthritisChristian Jorgensen
Immunorheumatology Department, Lapeyronie Hospital, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Joint Bone Spine 70:483-5. 2003
- Immature dendritic cells suppress collagen-induced arthritis by in vivo expansion of CD49b+ regulatory T cellsLouis-Marie Charbonnier
, Montpellier, France
J Immunol 177:3806-13. 2006..Thus, together these data demonstrate that iDCs can expand and activate a novel regulatory population of CD49b+ T cells, with high immunosuppressive potential able to mediate protection against a systemic autoimmune disease...
- Earlier onset of syngeneic tumors in the presence of mesenchymal stem cellsFarida Djouad
INSERM U475, Montpellier, France
Transplantation 82:1060-6. 2006..An important finding of this study is that a low but relevant amount of MSC may induce tumor rejection...
- Micro-CT combined with bioluminescence imaging: a dynamic approach to detect early tumor-bone interaction in a tumor osteolysis murine modelVanessa Fritz
INSERM U844, CHU Saint Eloi, 80 rue Augustin Fliche, 34091 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Bone 40:1032-40. 2007..This model will help to assess new therapeutic approaches targeting intraosseous tumor growth or tumor/osteoclast crosstalk...
- Immunosuppressive effect of mesenchymal stem cells favors tumor growth in allogeneic animalsFarida Djouad
INSERM U475, 99 rue Puech Villa, 34197 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Blood 102:3837-44. 2003..Although the potential side effects of immunosuppression induced by MSCs have to be considered in further clinical studies, the usefulness of MSCs for various therapeutic applications still remains of great interest...
- Cell surface CCR5 density determines the intensity of T cell migration towards rheumatoid arthritis synoviocytesCaroline Desmetz
Institut de Génétique Humaine du CNRS UPR1142, Montpellier, F 34000, France
Clin Immunol 123:148-54. 2007..The CCR5 density on T cell surface, which is constant over time for a given individual, but varies drastically from one individual to another, might thus be a factor determining the intensity of joint inflammation in the course of RA...
- Antigen-specific immunomodulation of collagen-induced arthritis with tumor necrosis factor-stimulated dendritic cellsLeonie M van Duivenvoorde
Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Arthritis Rheum 50:3354-64. 2004..CONCLUSION: CIA can be prevented through vaccination with TNF-matured DCs in an antigen-specific manner. These findings provide a rationale for immunotherapy using DCs in rheumatoid arthritis...
- CD4 coating, but not CD4 depletion, is a predictor of efficacy with primatized monoclonal anti-CD4 treatment of active rheumatoid arthritisUrsula Mason
GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, Greenford, Middlesex, UK
J Rheumatol 29:220-9. 2002..Double blind studies were conducted with the anti-CD4 monoclonal antibody (Mab) keliximab in patients with active, stable rheumatoid arthritis (RA), to confirm preliminary evidence of efficacy and safety from open. uncontrolled studies...
- Leflunomide-induced aseptic meningitisJean David Cohen
Immuno Rheumatology Department, Hopital Lapeyronie, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Joint Bone Spine 71:243-5. 2004..Drug-induced aseptic meningitis is uncommon and occurs primarily in patients with autoimmune disease. We report the first known case of leflunomide-induced aseptic meningitis, in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis...
- Interleukin-8 expression is regulated by histone deacetylases through the nuclear factor-kappaB pathway in breast cancerCarine Chavey
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Mé dicale, U844, University of Montpellier I, 34091 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
Mol Pharmacol 74:1359-66. 2008..TSA increased binding of acetylated histone 3 to the IL-8 gene promoter. In summary, our results demonstrate that NF-kappaB pathway repression by HDAC is responsible for the low expression of IL-8 in ERalpha-positive breast cancer cells...
- Primary cutaneous Nocardia otitidiscaviarum infection in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis treated with infliximabSylvie Fabre
Department of Immuno-Rheumatology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Lapeyronie, Montpellier, France
J Rheumatol 32:2432-3. 2005..We describe a patient receiving infliximab who developed a primary cutaneous Nocardia otitidiscaviarum infection after a skin injury...
- Tissue engineering through mesenchymal stem cells: role of the Genostem ConsortiumChristian Jorgensen
Regen Med 1:493-6. 2006