Genomes and Genes
James D McKay
Affiliation: International Agency for Research on Cancer
- Genotypic and phenotypic spectrum of X-linked retinoschisis in AustraliaAlex W Hewitt
Department of Ophthalmology, Royal Hobart Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania
Clin Experiment Ophthalmol 33:233-9. 2005..The aim of the present study was to review both the phenotypic features of XLRS and the mutation spectrum of the RS1 gene in an Australian cohort...
- A susceptibility locus for lung cancer maps to nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunit genes on 15q25Rayjean J Hung
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon 69008, France
Nature 452:633-7. 2008..Our results provide compelling evidence of a locus at 15q25 predisposing to lung cancer, and reinforce interest in nicotinic acetylcholine receptors as potential disease candidates and chemopreventative targets...
- Replication of lung cancer susceptibility loci at chromosomes 15q25, 5p15, and 6p21: a pooled analysis from the International Lung Cancer ConsortiumTherese Truong
Genetic Epidemiology Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, Lyon Cedex 08, France
J Natl Cancer Inst 102:959-71. 2010....
- The INSIG2 rs7566605 polymorphism is not associated with body mass index and breast cancer riskDaniele Campa
German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
BMC Cancer 10:563. 2010..BMI is considered to be one of the measures of choice to evaluate body fatness and there is evidence that body fatness is related with an increased risk of breast cancer (BC)...
- Sequence variants of NAT1 and NAT2 and other xenometabolic genes and risk of lung and aerodigestive tract cancers in Central EuropeJames D McKay
Association for International Cancer Research, 150 cours Albert Thomas, Lyon Cedex 08, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 17:141-7. 2008..We therefore conclude that, of the genetic variation studied, NAT1 gene was the most likely candidate to influence the risk of developing a tobacco-related cancer...
- Association between a 15q25 gene variant, smoking quantity and tobacco-related cancers among 17 000 individualsEsther H Lips
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, France
Int J Epidemiol 39:563-77. 2010....
- A sex-specific association between a 15q25 variant and upper aerodigestive tract cancersDan Chen
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 20:658-64. 2011..24, P = 0.003) with little effect in men (OR = 1.04, P = 0.35)...
- CDH1 gene polymorphisms, smoking, Helicobacter pylori infection and the risk of gastric cancer in the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC-EURGAST)Mazda Jenab
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC WHO, Lyon, France
Eur J Cancer 44:774-80. 2008..However, three CDH1 polymorphisms in the same haplotype block, including the CDH1-160C/A, interacted with smoking to increase GC risk in smokers but not in never smokers. These findings should be confirmed in larger independent studies...
- Genetic and plasma variation of insulin-like growth factor binding proteins in relation to prostate cancer incidence and survivalMattias Johansson
International Agency for Research against Cancer, Lyon, France
Prostate 69:1281-91. 2009..We analyzed genetic variation within genes coding for IGF binding proteins in relation to prostate cancer incidence and survival. We also investigated if circulating IGFBP3 affects prostate cancer-specific survival...
- Genetic variation in the growth hormone synthesis pathway in relation to circulating insulin-like growth factor-I, insulin-like growth factor binding protein-3, and breast cancer risk: results from the European prospective investigation into cancer and nuFederico Canzian
Hormones and Cancer Team, International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, F 69372 Lyon, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:2316-25. 2005....
- Lung cancer susceptibility locus at 5p15.33James D McKay
International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, Lyon, France
Nat Genet 40:1404-6. 2008..016). The susceptibility region contains two genes, TERT and CLPTM1L, suggesting that one or both may have a role in lung cancer etiology...
- Haplotype-based analysis of common variation in the acetyl-coA carboxylase alpha gene and breast cancer risk: a case-control study nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and NutritionOlga M Sinilnikova
IARC, Lyon, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:409-15. 2007..However, they suggest a possible role of the ACC-alpha common sequence variants in susceptibility to breast cancer and encourage studies of other genes involved in fatty acid synthesis...
- Comprehensive evaluation of genetic variation in the IGF1 gene and risk of prostate cancerMattias Johansson
Department of Surgical and Perioperative Sciences, Urology and Andrology, Umea University Hospital, Umea, Sweden
Int J Cancer 120:539-42. 2007..Further studies on genetic variations in the IGF1 gene in relation to prostate cancer risk as well as to circulating levels of IGF1 are needed to confirm this novel finding...
- Haplotype-based analysis of common variation in the growth hormone receptor gene and prostate cancer riskJames D McKay
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyons, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 16:169-73. 2007..These results suggest that whereas genetic variation in the GHR gene does not seem to play a major role in prostate cancer etiology, one haplotype in the 3' region may be potentially relevant to cases with later onset of prostate cancer...
- Implications for prostate cancer of insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) genetic variation and circulating IGF-I levelsMattias Johansson
Department of Surgical and Perioperative Sciences, Umea University Hospital, 901 85 Umea, Sweden
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:4820-6. 2007..We recently found a haplotype in the 3' region of the IGF-I gene associated with increased risk of prostate cancer, and we hypothesized that the observed association is mediated by circulating IGF-I...
- Sequence variants of alpha-methylacyl-CoA racemase are associated with prostate cancer risk: a replication study in an ethnically homogeneous populationLiesel M FitzGerald
Menzies Research Institute, University of Tasmania, Hobart, Australia
Prostate 68:1373-9. 2008....
- Multiple ADH genes are associated with upper aerodigestive cancersMia Hashibe
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Nat Genet 40:707-9. 2008..0002 and 0.065, respectively). Both gene effects were independent of each other, implying that multiple ADH genes may be involved in upper aerodigestive cancer etiology...
- Polymorphisms of genes coding for ghrelin and its receptor in relation to anthropometry, circulating levels of IGF-I and IGFBP-3, and breast cancer risk: a case-control study nested within the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (Laure Dossus
Division of Cancer Epidemiology, German Cancer Research Center DKFZ, Heidelberg, Germany
Carcinogenesis 29:1360-6. 2008..These associations, however, might also be due to chance findings and further large studies are needed to confirm our results...