Affiliation: Institut Pasteur de Lille
- Discriminatory power and reproducibility of novel DNA typing methods for Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex strainsKristin Kremer
Mycobacteria Reference Unit, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Perinatal Screening, P O Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 43:5628-38. 2005..tuberculosis and that VNTR typing is the epidemiological typing method of choice for the near future...
- Variable human minisatellite-like regions in the Mycobacterium tuberculosis genomeP Supply
Laboratoire des Mécanismes Moléculaires de la Pathogenèse Bactérienne, INSERM U447, France
Mol Microbiol 36:762-71. 2000..Of the 12 variable loci, only one was found to vary among genealogically distant BCG substrains, suggesting that these interspersed bacterial minisatellite-like structures evolve slowly in mycobacterial populations...
- Proposal for standardization of optimized mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit-variable-number tandem repeat typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosisPhilip Supply
INSERM U629, Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1, Rue du Prof Calmette, F 59019 Lille cedex, France
J Clin Microbiol 44:4498-510. 2006..This 15-locus system is therefore proposed as the new standard for routine epidemiological discrimination of M. tuberculosis isolates and the 24-locus system as a high-resolution tool for phylogenetic studies...
- Assessment of an optimized mycobacterial interspersed repetitive- unit-variable-number tandem-repeat typing system combined with spoligotyping for population-based molecular epidemiology studies of tuberculosisMara Cardoso Oelemann
INSERM, U629, Institut Pasteur de Lille, Lille, France
J Clin Microbiol 45:691-7. 2007..tuberculosis transmission...
- Linkage disequilibrium between minisatellite loci supports clonal evolution of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a high tuberculosis incidence areaPhilip Supply
Laboratoire des Mécanismes Moléculaires de la Pathogenèse Bactérienne, INSERM U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, Cedex, France
Mol Microbiol 47:529-38. 2003..This linkage disequilibrium was also evident when the MIRU-VNTR types were compared with the IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism types. These results support a predominant clonal evolution of M. tuberculosis...
- Automated high-throughput genotyping for study of global epidemiology of Mycobacterium tuberculosis based on mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unitsP Supply
Laboratoire des Mécanismes Moléculaires de la Pathogenèse Bactérienne, INSERM U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, F 59019 Lille cedex, France
J Clin Microbiol 39:3563-71. 2001..tuberculosis MIRU-VNTR genotypes via the Internet. This opens the way for global epidemiological surveillance of tuberculosis and should lead to novel insights into the evolutionary and population genetics of this major pathogen...
- High-resolution minisatellite-based typing as a portable approach to global analysis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis molecular epidemiologyE Mazars
, , U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, rue du Prof. Calmette, F-59019 Lille Cedex, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:1901-6. 2001..This typing method opens the way to the construction of digital global databases for molecular epidemiology studies of M. tuberculosis...
- Three-year population-based evaluation of standardized mycobacterial interspersed repetitive-unit-variable-number tandem-repeat typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosisCaroline Allix-Béguec
Molecular Mechanisms of Bacterial Pathogenesis, INSERM U629, Institut de Biologie de Lille Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1 rue du Professeur Calmette, F 59021 Lille cedex, France
J Clin Microbiol 46:1398-406. 2008..g., large sequence polymorphisms. Our results reinforce the proposal of standardized MIRU-VNTR typing as a new reference genotyping method for the epidemiological and phylogenetic screening of M. tuberculosis strains...
- Stability of variable-number tandem repeats of mycobacterial interspersed repetitive units from 12 loci in serial isolates of Mycobacterium tuberculosisEvgueni Savine
, INSERM U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, F-59019 Lille Cedex, France
J Clin Microbiol 40:4561-6. 2002..Moreover, they support MIRU VNTR genotyping as a powerful first-line method followed by subtyping by IS6110 RFLP to define ongoing transmission clusters...
- Identification of novel intergenic repetitive units in a mycobacterial two-component system operonP Supply
Laboratoire de Microbiologie Génétique et Moléculaire, INSERM U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, France
Mol Microbiol 26:991-1003. 1997..Analyses of the sequences at the insertion sites suggest that MIRUs disseminate by transposition into DTGA sites involved in translational coupling in polycistronic operons...
- Intracellular autoregulation of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis PrrA response regulatorFanny Ewann
INSERM U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, 1 rue du Professeur Calmette, F-59019 Lille, France
Microbiology 150:241-6. 2004..These results indicate that the early intracellular induction of prrA depends on the autoregulation of this two-component system...
- Transient requirement of the PrrA-PrrB two-component system for early intracellular multiplication of Mycobacterium tuberculosisFanny Ewann
Laboratoire des Mécanismes Moléculaires de la Pathogenèse Bactérienne, INSERM U447, Institut Pasteur de Lille, F 59019 Lille cedex
Infect Immun 70:2256-63. 2002..tuberculosis can use genes temporarily required at different stages in the course of macrophage infection...
- Mixed infection and clonal representativeness of a single sputum sample in tuberculosis patients from a penitentiary hospital in GeorgiaIsdore C Shamputa
Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Mycobacteriology Unit, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Respir Res 7:99. 2006..This scheme rests on the postulate that a culture of one sputum sample is homogeneous and representative of the total bacillary population in a patient...
- Predominance of ancestral lineages of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in IndiaM Cristina Gutierrez
Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Emerg Infect Dis 12:1367-74. 2006..These observations suggest a predominance of ancestral M. tuberculosis genotypes in the Indian subcontinent, which supports the hypothesis that India is an ancient endemic focus of TB...
- New variable-number tandem-repeat markers for typing Mycobacterium avium subsp. paratuberculosis and M. avium strains: comparison with IS900 and IS1245 restriction fragment length polymorphism typingVirginie C Thibault
UR1282, Infectiologie Animale, Santé Publique IASP 311, INRA Centre de Tours, F 37380 Nouzilly, France
J Clin Microbiol 45:2404-10. 2007..These results indicate a substantial degree of genetic drift among different vaccine preparations, which has important implications for prophylactic approaches...
- Evaluation and strategy for use of MIRU-VNTRplus, a multifunctional database for online analysis of genotyping data and phylogenetic identification of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex isolatesCaroline Allix-Béguec
Genoscreen, 1, rue du Professeur Calmette, Lille 59019 Cedex, France
J Clin Microbiol 46:2692-9. 2008..The MIRU-VNTRplus database is a powerful tool for high-resolution clonal identification and has little equivalent in terms of functionalities among the bacterial genotyping databases available so far...
- Evaluation of the epidemiological relevance of variable-number tandem-repeat genotyping of Mycobacterium bovis and comparison of the method with IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism analysis and spoligotypingCaroline Allix
Institut Pasteur de Bruxelles, , Rue Engeland 642, 1180 Bruxelles, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 44:1951-62. 2006..bovis in much greater detail and for addressing some still unresolved issues in the epidemiology of the pathogen...
- Genotypic and phenotypic heterogeneity among Mycobacterium tuberculosis isolates from pulmonary tuberculosis patientsIsdore Chola Shamputa
Mycobacteriology Unit, Department of Microbiology, Prince Leopold Institute of Tropical Medicine, Nationalestraat 155, B 2000 Antwerp, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 42:5528-36. 2004..These findings have implications on the interpretation of molecular epidemiology results for patient follow-up and in transmission studies...
- Molecular typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis by mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit-variable-number tandem repeat analysis, a more accurate method for identifying epidemiological links between patients with tuberculosisHenk Van Deutekom
Department of Tuberculosis Control, Municipal Health Service, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 43:4473-9. 2005..They support the use of MIRU-VNTR typing as a more reliable and faster method for transmission analysis...
- Multilocus variable-number tandem repeat typing of Mycobacterium ulceransAnthony Ablordey
Mycobacteriology Unit, Institute of Tropical Medicine, Antwerp, Belgium
J Clin Microbiol 43:1546-51. 2005..These findings support the potential of a VNTR-based genotyping method for strain discrimination within M. ulcerans and M. marinum...
- Use of variable-number tandem-repeat typing to differentiate Mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing family isolates from Hong Kong and comparison with IS6110 restriction fragment length polymorphism typing and spoligotypingKristin Kremer
Mycobacteria Reference Unit, Diagnostic Laboratory for Infectious Diseases and Perinatal Screening, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, Bilthoven, The Netherlands
J Clin Microbiol 43:314-20. 2005..However, VNTR-defined clusters should be subtyped with IS6110 RFLP for maximal resolution...
- Genetic diversity and population structure of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Casablanca, a Moroccan city with high incidence of tuberculosisLoubna Tazi
Génétique des Maladies Infectieuses, UMR CNRS IRD 9926, IRD, 34394 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Clin Microbiol 42:461-6. 2004..Phylogenetic analyses of this Moroccan sample also supported that these isolates are genetically heterogeneous...
- Use of mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit-variable-number tandem repeat typing to examine genetic diversity of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in SingaporeYong Jiang Sun
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore, Republic of Singapore
J Clin Microbiol 42:1986-93. 2004..These results indicate that MIRU-VNTR typing can be a useful first-line tool for studying the genetic diversity of M. tuberculosis isolates in a large urban setting such as Singapore...
- Characterization of ancestral Mycobacterium tuberculosis by multiple genetic markers and proposal of genotyping strategyYong Jiang Sun
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore 308433
J Clin Microbiol 42:5058-64. 2004..This typing strategy may be useful in areas where TbD1(+) ancestral strains are prevalent...
- Utility of fast mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit-variable number tandem repeat genotyping in clinical mycobacteriological analysisCaroline Allix
Institut Pasteur de Bruxelles, Laboratoire Tuberculose et Mycobacteries, Brussels, Belgium
Clin Infect Dis 39:783-9. 2004..tuberculosis within several hours. CONCLUSION: These examples illustrate the utility of this genotyping technique for quick and accurate resolution of problems commonly encountered in clinical mycobacteriology...
- Against all odds: molecular confirmation of an implausible case of bone tuberculosisCaroline Loiez
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie Hygiene, Centre Hospitalier Regional Universitaire, Lille, France
Clin Infect Dis 42:e86-8. 2006....
- "A re-evaluation of M. prototuberculosis": continuing the debateSylvain Brisse
Scripps Research Institute, United States of America
PLoS Pathog 2:e95. 2006
- Origin, spread and demography of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complexThierry Wirth
Department of Biology, Lehrstuhl fur Zoologie und Evolutionsbiologie, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany
PLoS Pathog 4:e1000160. 2008..tuberculosis lineages, which coincides with the human population explosion over the last two centuries. These findings thus unveil the dynamic dimension of the association between human host and pathogen populations...