Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: Institut Pasteur de Lille
- Hannou S, Wouters K, Paumelle R, Staels B. Functional genomics of the CDKN2A/B locus in cardiovascular and metabolic disease: what have we learned from GWASs?. Trends Endocrinol Metab. 2015;26:176-84 pubmed publisher..We review the current knowledge, from studies using human and mouse models, describing the function of CDKN2A/B gene products, which may mechanistically link the 9p21.3 risk locus with CVD and diabetes. ..
- Staels B. PPAR agonists and the metabolic syndrome. Therapie. 2007;62:319-26 pubmed..This review will highlight the emerging evidence for the beneficial effects of PPAR agonists in the prevention and treatment of atherosclerosis in such high-risk patients. ..
- Spear R, Boytard L, Blervaque R, Chwastyniak M, Hot D, Vanhoutte J, et al. Adventitial Tertiary Lymphoid Organs as Potential Source of MicroRNA Biomarkers for Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm. Int J Mol Sci. 2015;16:11276-93 pubmed publisher..Further investigations will be required to evaluate their targets in order to better understand AAA pathophysiology. ..
- Staels B. Cardiovascular Protection by Sodium Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors: Potential Mechanisms. Am J Med. 2017;130:S30-S39 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the main hypotheses suggested to date. ..
- Staels B. Cardiovascular Protection by Sodium Glucose Cotransporter 2 Inhibitors: Potential Mechanisms. Am J Cardiol. 2017;120:S28-S36 pubmed publisher..This review discusses the main hypotheses suggested to date. ..
- Chinetti Gbaguidi G, Daoudi M, Rosa M, Vinod M, Louvet L, Copin C, et al. Human Alternative Macrophages Populate Calcified Areas of Atherosclerotic Lesions and Display Impaired RANKL-Induced Osteoclastic Bone Resorption Activity. Circ Res. 2017;121:19-30 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that macrophages surrounding calcium deposits in human atherosclerotic plaques are phenotypically defective being unable to resorb calcification. ..
- Chinetti Gbaguidi G, Staels B. PPAR? in macrophages and atherosclerosis. Biochimie. 2017;136:59-64 pubmed publisher..This review will summarize our current understanding of how PPAR? regulates macrophage biology and its impact on atherosclerosis. Differences between studies and species-specific macrophage gene regulation will be discussed. ..
- Bosviel R, Joumard Cubizolles L, Chinetti Gbaguidi G, Bayle D, Copin C, Hennuyer N, et al. DHA-derived oxylipins, neuroprostanes and protectins, differentially and dose-dependently modulate the inflammatory response in human macrophages: Putative mechanisms through PPAR activation. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017;103:146-154 pubmed publisher
- Haas J, Staels B. An oxidative stress paradox: time for a conceptual change?. Diabetologia. 2016;59:2514-2517 pubmed..These findings call into question the role of reactive oxygen species in NASH pathogenesis and highlight a potential paradox whereby increased H2O2 may be beneficial in some contexts. ..
- de Paoli F, Eeckhoute J, Copin C, Vanhoutte J, Duhem C, Derudas B, et al. The neuron-derived orphan receptor 1 (NOR1) is induced upon human alternative macrophage polarization and stimulates the expression of markers of the M2 phenotype. Atherosclerosis. 2015;241:18-26 pubmed publisher..These data identify NOR1 as a transcription factor induced during alternative differentiation of human macrophages and demonstrate that NOR1 modifies the alternative macrophage phenotype. ..
- Chinetti Gbaguidi G, Copin C, Derudas B, Vanhoutte J, Zawadzki C, Jude B, et al. The coronary artery disease-associated gene C6ORF105 is expressed in human macrophages under the transcriptional control of PPARÎ³. FEBS Lett. 2015;589:461-6 pubmed publisher..Activation of PPARÎ³ increases, in a PPARÎ³-dependent manner, the expression of C6ORF105 in human macrophages and atherosclerotic lesions. ..
- Boulinguiez A, Staels B, Duez H, Lancel S. Mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum: Targets for a better insulin sensitivity in skeletal muscle?. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Biol Lipids. 2017;1862:901-916 pubmed publisher..The roles of mitochondria and the endoplasmic reticulum in insulin signaling are highlighted and potential innovative research and treatment perspectives are proposed. ..
- Staels B, Dombrowicz D, Grohmann U. EMBO workshop on immunology and metabolism. EMBO Rep. 2011;12:386-8 pubmed publisher..The meeting brought together approximately 100 scientists to discuss interactions between metabolism and inflammation. ..
- Briand O, Touche V, Colin S, Brufau G, Davalos A, Schonewille M, et al. Liver X Receptor Regulates Triglyceride Absorption Through Intestinal Down-regulation of Scavenger Receptor Class B, Type 1. Gastroenterology. 2016;150:650-8 pubmed publisher..In Caco-2/TC7 cells and mice, intestinal activation of LXR reduces the production of chylomicrons by a mechanism dependent on the apical localization of SR-B1. ..
- Staels B, Kuipers F. Bile acid sequestrants and the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus. Drugs. 2007;67:1383-92 pubmed..In this article, we review the relationship between bile acid metabolism and glucose homeostasis, and present data demonstrating the utility of bile acid sequestrants in the management of diabetes...
- Mayeuf Louchart A, Zecchin M, Staels B, Duez H. Circadian control of metabolism and pathological consequences of clock perturbations. Biochimie. 2017;143:42-50 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent findings on the link between the clock and metabolic fluxes to maintain whole-body homeostasis, and what clock disruption in mice has revealed about the role of the clock in metabolic regulation. ..
- Haas J, Staels B. Fasting the Microbiota to Improve Metabolism?. Cell Metab. 2017;26:584-585 pubmed publisher..In this issue of Cell Metabolism, Li and colleagues (2017) highlight the role of gut microbiota in mediating benefits of intermittent fasting through activation of adipose tissue beiging. ..
- Woller A, Duez H, Staels B, Lefranc M. A Mathematical Model of the Liver Circadian Clock Linking Feeding and Fasting Cycles to Clock Function. Cell Rep. 2016;17:1087-1097 pubmed publisher..Our model thus identifies altered AMPK signaling as a mechanism leading to clock disruption and its associated metabolic effects and suggests a pharmacological approach to resetting the clock in obesity. ..
- Hennuyer N, Duplan I, Paquet C, Vanhoutte J, Woitrain E, Touche V, et al. The novel selective PPAR? modulator (SPPARM?) pemafibrate improves dyslipidemia, enhances reverse cholesterol transport and decreases inflammation and atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2016;249:200-8 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that the novel selective PPAR? modulator pemafibrate exerts beneficial effects on lipid metabolism, RCT and inflammation resulting in anti-atherogenic properties. ..