Affiliation: Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
- Rubisco synthesis, turnover and degradation: some new thoughts on an old problemBertrand Hirel
, INRA, Versailles, France
New Phytol 169:445-8. 2006
- Towards a better understanding of the genetic and physiological basis for nitrogen use efficiency in maizeB Hirel
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Route de St Cyr 78026, Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Physiol 125:1258-70. 2001....
- The challenge of improving nitrogen use efficiency in crop plants: towards a more central role for genetic variability and quantitative genetics within integrated approachesBertrand Hirel
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, UR 511, INRA de Versailles, Route de St Cyr, F 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 58:2369-87. 2007..Current knowledge and prospects for future agronomic development and application for breeding crops adapted to lower fertilizer input are explored, taking into account the world economic and environmental constraints in the next century...
- Glutamate dehydrogenase of tobacco is mainly induced in the cytosol of phloem companion cells when ammonia is provided either externally or released during photorespirationThérèse Tercé-Laforgue
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Physiol 136:4308-17. 2004....
- Two cytosolic glutamine synthetase isoforms of maize are specifically involved in the control of grain productionAntoine Martin
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes UR511, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, F 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Cell 18:3252-74. 2006..The two GS1 isoenzymes play nonredundant roles with respect to their tissue-specific localization...
- Does lowering glutamine synthetase activity in nodules modify nitrogen metabolism and growth of Lotus japonicus?Judith Harrison
Laboratoire Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Route de St Cyr, 78280 Versailles cedex, France
Plant Physiol 133:253-62. 2003..japonicus. Whether these alternative metabolic pathways are important in the control of plant biomass production still remains to be fully elucidated...
- Cellular and subcellular localisation of glutamine synthetase and glutamate dehydrogenase in grapes gives new insights on the regulation of carbon and nitrogen metabolismVirginie Paczek
, INRA de Versailles, Route de Saint-Cyr, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Planta 216:245-54. 2002....
- Analysis of amino acid metabolism in the ear of maize mutants deficient in two cytosolic glutamine synthetase isoenzymes highlights the importance of asparagine for nitrogen translocation within sink organsRafael A Cañas
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Unité de Recherche 511, Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Versailles Grignon, Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Biotechnol J 8:966-78. 2010..The two genes ZmAS3 and ZmAS4 are likely to play an important role during this process...
- The use of metabolomics integrated with transcriptomic and proteomic studies for identifying key steps involved in the control of nitrogen metabolism in crops such as maizeNardjis Amiour
Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Versailles Grignon, UR 511, Route de St Cyr, F 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 63:5017-33. 2012..The potential use of these 'omics' studies is discussed with a view to improve our understanding of whole plant nitrogen economics, which should have applications in breeding and agronomy...
- Nitrogen metabolism in the developing ear of maize (Zea mays): analysis of two lines contrasting in their mode of nitrogen managementRafael A Cañas
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, F 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
New Phytol 184:340-52. 2009..Thus, in maize there is genetic and environmental control of N metabolism not only in vegetative source organs but also in reproductive sink organs...
- An integrated statistical analysis of the genetic variability of nitrogen metabolism in the ear of three maize inbred lines (Zea mays L.)Rafael A Cañas
Adaptation des Plantes à leur Environnement, Unité de Recherche 511, Institut Jean Pierre Bourgin, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, Centre de Versailles Grignon, Route de Saint Cyr, F 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
J Exp Bot 62:2309-18. 2011....
- Nitrogen management and senescence in two maize hybrids differing in the persistence of leaf greenness: agronomic, physiological and molecular aspectsAntoine Martin
, INRA, R.D. 10, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
New Phytol 167:483-92. 2005..The possibility of improving N metabolic efficiency in the latest maize hybrids is discussed...
- Modelling postsilking nitrogen fluxes in maize (Zea mays) using 15N-labelling field experimentsAndré Gallais
Station de Génétique Végétale, INRA UPS INAPG CNRS, Ferme du Moulon, 91190 Gif Yvette, France
New Phytol 172:696-707. 2006....
- An approach to the genetics of nitrogen use efficiency in maizeA Gallais
Station de Génétique Végétale, INRA UPS INAPG, Ferme du Moulon, 91190 Gif Yvette, France
J Exp Bot 55:295-306. 2004..This may have a physiological meaning. The GS locus on chromosome 5 appears to be a good candidate gene which can, at least partially, explain the variation in nitrogen use efficiency...
- Characterization of the sink/source transition in tobacco ( Nicotiana tabacum L.) shoots in relation to nitrogen management and leaf senescenceC Masclaux
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, INRA, Centre de Versailles, France
Planta 211:510-8. 2000..The role of the newly induced enzymes and the nature of the potential metabolic and developmental signals involved in the regulation of their expression during leaf senescence are discussed...
- Glutamine and alpha-ketoglutarate are metabolite signals involved in nitrate reductase gene transcription in untransformed and transformed tobacco plants deficient in ferredoxin-glutamine-alpha-ketoglutarate aminotransferaseS Ferrario-Mery
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, INRA de Versailles, France
Planta 213:265-71. 2001....
- A novel HMG A-like protein binds differentially to the AT-rich regions located in the far distal and proximal parts of a soybean glutamine synthetase gene (GS15) promoterMichèle Reisdorf-Cren
Laboratoire de la Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, INRA, Centre de Versailles, Route de Saint Cyr, F 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Plant Cell Physiol 43:1006-16. 2002..This result suggests that AT-1SNBP may be an architectural protein involved in maintaining the spatial conformation of the GS15 promoter, thus facilitating the interaction between the distal and proximal regulatory elements...
- Forcing expression of a soybean root glutamine synthetase gene in tobacco leaves induces a native gene encoding cytosolic enzymeB Hirel
Laboratoire du Métabolisme et de la Nutrition des Plantes, C N R A, Versailles, France
Plant Mol Biol 20:207-18. 1992..The latter is normally expressed only in the root tissue of tobacco. This phenomenon may suggest a hitherto uncharacterized metabolic control on the expression of certain genes in plants...
- Photorespiration-dependent increases in phospho enolpyruvate carboxylase, isocitrate dehydrogenase and glutamate dehydrogenase in transformed tobacco plants deficient in ferredoxin-dependent glutamine-alpha-ketoglutarate aminotransferaseSylvie Ferrario-Mery
Unité de Nutrition Azotée des Plantes, INRA de Versailles, Route de Saint Cyr, 78026 Versailles Cedex, France
Planta 214:877-86. 2002..In addition, we provide the first demonstration of a compensatory role for NAD(H)-GDH in stabilising the leaf glutamic acid pool when Fd-GOGAT becomes limiting...
- Gene expression, cellular localisation and function of glutamine synthetase isozymes in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)Stéphanie M Bernard
Plant Science Department, Centre for Crop Genetic Improvement, Rothamsted Research, Harpenden, Hertfordshire, UK
Plant Mol Biol 67:89-105. 2008..Use of this genetic variation should inform future efforts to modulate this enzyme for pre-breeding efforts to improve nitrogen use in wheat...
- Genetic and physiological analysis of germination efficiency in maize in relation to nitrogen metabolism reveals the importance of cytosolic glutamine synthetaseAnis M Limami
Unité Mixte de Recherche Physiologie Moléculaire des Semences, Universite d Angers, 2 Boulevard Lavoisier, 49045 Angers Cedex, France
Plant Physiol 130:1860-70. 2002....
- Effects of the overexpression of a soybean cytosolic glutamine synthetase gene (GS15) linked to organ-specific promoters on growth and nitrogen accumulation of pea plants supplied with ammoniumHouman Fei
Department of Plant Science, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB, Canada R3T 2N2
Plant Physiol Biochem 44:543-50. 2006....
- Control of the synthesis and subcellular targeting of the two GDH genes products in leaves and stems of Nicotiana plumbaginifolia and Arabidopsis thalianaJean Xavier Fontaine
Laboratoire d Androgénèse et Biotechnologie Végétale, Universite de Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
Plant Cell Physiol 47:410-8. 2006..These results are discussed in relation to the possible signalling and/or physiological function of the enzyme which appears to be coordinated in leaves and stems...
- Overexpression of a soybean cytosolic glutamine synthetase gene linked to organ-specific promoters in pea plants grown in different concentrations of nitrateHouman Fei
Department of Plant Science, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2, Canada
Planta 216:467-74. 2003....
- Combined agronomic and physiological aspects of nitrogen management in wheat highlight a central role for glutamine synthetaseThomas Kichey
, , 33 rue Saint-Leu, F-80039 Amiens Cedex, France
New Phytol 169:265-78. 2006..The use of a marker such as GS activity to predict the N status of wheat, as a function of both plant development and N availability, is discussed with the aim of selecting wheat genotypes with better N-use efficiency...
- Changes in the cellular and subcellular localization of glutamine synthetase and glutamate dehydrogenase during flag leaf senescence in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.)Thomas Kichey
, , 33, rue Saint-Leu, 80039 Amiens Cedex, France
Plant Cell Physiol 46:964-74. 2005....