F de Vathaire
Affiliation: Institut Gustave Roussy
- Cancer mortality after radiotherapy for a skin hemangioma during childhoodMarie Gabrielle Dondon
INSERM U605, Institut Gustave Roussy, rue Camille Desmoulins, Villejuif 94805, France
Radiother Oncol 72:87-93. 2004..A cohort study was performed as part of a European Radiation Protection Program to investigate the carcinogenic effect of treatment with ionizing radiation in early childhood. This paper presents mortality after radiotherapy in this cohort...
- The carcinogenic effects of radioiodine therapy for thyroid carcinomaFlorent de Vathaire
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology Unit 605 of the National Institute for Health and Medical Research INSERM, Villejuif, France
Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab 4:180-1. 2008
- Role of cancer treatment in long-term overall and cardiovascular mortality after childhood cancerMarkhaba Tukenova
L Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
J Clin Oncol 28:1308-15. 2010..The purpose of this study was to assess the role of treatment in long-term overall and cardiovascular mortality after childhood cancer...
- Thyroid cancer in French Polynesia between 1985 and 1995: influence of atmospheric nuclear bomb tests performed at Mururoa and Fangataufa between 1966 and 1974F de Vathaire
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Villejuif, Institut Gustave Roussy, France
Cancer Causes Control 11:59-63. 2000..Between 1966 and 1974, France performed 41 atmospheric nuclear weapon tests in the Mururoa and Fangataufa atolls in French Polynesia...
- Thyroid carcinomas after irradiation for a first cancer during childhoodF de Vathaire
Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit, National Institute for Health and Medical Research, Villejuif, France
Arch Intern Med 159:2713-9. 1999..The thyroid gland is among the most radiosensitive organs. However, little is known about the long-term risk of developing a thyroid tumor after fractionated external radiotherapy for cancer during childhood...
- Epidemiological evidence for a common mechanism for neuroblastoma and differentiated thyroid tumourF de Vathaire
, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 65:425-8. 1992..This result suggests that there is a common mechanism for the occurrence of neuroblastoma and of differentiated thyroid tumour...
- Role of radiotherapy and chemotherapy in the risk of second malignant neoplasms after cancer in childhoodF de Vathaire
, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuf, France
Br J Cancer 59:792-6. 1989..This study suggests that the oncogenic effect of radiations might be increased by chemotherapy, and that the combination of the two treatment modalities might be one of the major factors responsible for overall risk of SMN...
- Second malignant neoplasms after a first cancer in childhood: temporal pattern of risk according to type of treatmentF de Vathaire
Research Unit of Cancer Epidemiology U351 INSERM, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 79:1884-93. 1999..When compared with radiotherapy alone, the addition of chemotherapy increases the risk of solid SMN after a first cancer in childhood, but does not significantly modify the variation of this risk during the time after the first cancer...
- Risk of melanoma following adulthood cancer: a case-control studyA Dupuy
National Institute of Public Health and Medical Research U605, Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 41:2904-10. 2005..The risk associated with chemotherapy should justify the implementation of skin surveillance for early detection of melanoma in these patients...
- Radiation dose and risk of soft tissue and bone sarcoma after breast cancer treatmentCarole Rubino
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, National Institute of Health and Medical Research U605 INSERM, Villejuif, France
Breast Cancer Res Treat 89:277-88. 2005..To quantify the risk of soft tissue and bone sarcomas after breast cancer according to the doses and technical modalities of irradiation...
- Role of radiation dose in the risk of secondary leukemia after a solid tumor in childhood treated between 1980 and 1999Aurore Allard
INSERM Unit 605, Villejuif, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 78:1474-82. 2010..The purpose of this study was to estimate the risk of secondary leukemia as a function of radiation dose, taking into account heterogeneous radiation dose distribution...
- Cancer mortality in French Polynesia between 1984 and 1992F de Vathaire
National Institute of Health and of Medical Research INSERM, Unit 351, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 74:1680-1. 1996..A study of cancer incidence is planned...
- Leukaemias and cancers following iodine-131 administration for thyroid cancerF de Vathaire
National Institute of Health and of Medical Research, Unit 351, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 75:734-9. 1997..When digestive tract cancers were excluded, the overall excess relative risk of second cancer per estimated effective sievert received to the whole body was -0.2 (P = 0.6)...
- Radiation dose, chemotherapy and risk of lung cancer after breast cancer treatmentCarole Rubino
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, National Institute of Health and Medical Research U521 INSERM, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Breast Cancer Res Treat 75:15-24. 2002..10) per gray delivered to the site of lung cancer was evidenced. Our results agree with previous studies in favor of an increased risk of lung cancer after radiation therapy for breast cancer...
- Radiation dose as a risk factor for malignant melanoma following childhood cancerS Guerin
National Institute of Public Health and Medical Research INSERM XR521, IGR, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Cedex, Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 39:2379-86. 2003..In conclusion, radiotherapy may contribute to an increased risk of melanoma as a SMN, but only at very high doses of low linear energy transfer radiation. Common genetic origins between gonadal tumours and malignant melanomas are likely...
- Long-term risk of sarcoma following radiation treatment for breast cancerA Taghian
Department of Radiation Therapy, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 21:361-7. 1991....
- Thyroid cancer following nuclear tests in French PolynesiaF de Vathaire
Radiation Epidemiology Group, U1018 Inserm, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, INSERM, Villejuif F 94800, France
Br J Cancer 103:1115-21. 2010..Between 1966 and 1974, France conducted 41 atmospheric nuclear tests in Polynesia, but their potential health effects have not previously been investigated...
- Long-term risk of second malignant neoplasms after neuroblastoma in childhood: role of treatmentCarole Rubino
Research Unit of Cancer Epidemiology XU521 INSERM, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Int J Cancer 107:791-6. 2003..For these patients, many more years of follow-up are required to appreciate their overall risks of treatment-related SMNs...
- [131 iodine: medical use. Carcinogenic and genetic effects]M Schlumberger
Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 57:166-76. 1996..These data indicate that there is no scientific reason to avoid the use of 131I even in young patients when therapeutic benefits can be obtained...
- Characteristics of follicular cell-derived thyroid carcinomas occurring after external radiation exposure: results of a case control study nested in a cohortCarole Rubino
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, National Institute of Health and Medical Research U521 INSERM, Villejuif, France
Thyroid 12:299-304. 2002..1-6.5), and conversely the frequency of follicular histology was similar in male cases and in male controls (OR = 0.3, 95% CI: 0.1-1.4). The risks of recurrence and of thyroid cancer related death were similar in cases and in controls...
- Radiation dose and long term risk of cardiac pathology following radiotherapy and anthracyclin for a childhood cancerLaurence Guldner
National Institute of Health and Medical Research INSERM, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Radiother Oncol 81:47-56. 2006..To determine the cardiac status in children 15 years (yrs) or more after a solid tumour treatment...
- Malignant breast tumors after radiotherapy for a first cancer during childhoodCatherine Guibout
National Institute of Health and Medical Research, Cancer Epidemiology Research Unit U605 INSERM, Physics Department, Institut Gustave Roussy, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 23:197-204. 2005..To assess the specific role of treatment and type of first cancer (FC) in the risk of long-term subsequent breast cancer (BC) among childhood cancer survivors...
- Testicular function of survivors of childhood cancer: a comparative study between ifosfamide- and cyclophosphamide-based regimensVita Ridola
Department of Pediatric and Adolescent Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 45:814-8. 2009..This study aimed at comparing gonadal toxicity of ifosfamide versus cyclophosphamide received during childhood...
- Radiation dose, chemotherapy, hormonal treatment and risk of second cancer after breast cancer treatmentC Rubino
, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 89:840-6. 2003..This relationship was limited to endometrial cancers and did not modify the relationship with radiation dose. Our results suggest that high radiation doses slightly increase the risk of second malignancies after breast cancer...
- [Thyroid cancer following exposure to ionising radiation]M Schlumberger
Institut de Cancerologie Gustave Roussy, 114 rue Edouard Vaillant, Villejuif Cedex, France
Cancer Radiother 15:394-9. 2011..In case of contamination with radioiodines, administration of potassium iodide can prevent thyroid irradiation...
- Frequency distribution of second solid cancer locations in relation to the irradiated volume among 115 patients treated for childhood cancerIbrahima Diallo
U605 Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Villejuif, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 74:876-83. 2009....
- Risk of a second malignant neoplasm after cancer in childhood treated with radiotherapy: correlation with the integral dose restricted to the irradiated fieldsFrance Nguyen
INSERM U 605, Villejuif, France Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif Cedex, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 70:908-15. 2008..To take into account the heterogeneity of the dose distribution so as to evaluate the overall risk of an SMN after a childhood cancer, we therefore focused on the integral dose restricted to the irradiated fields...
- Treatment-adjusted predisposition to second malignant neoplasms after a solid cancer in childhood: a case-control studySylvie Guerin
L Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 25:2833-9. 2007..The aim of this study was to investigate the independent role of the FMN in the onset of any SMN...
- Thyroid adenomas and carcinomas following radiotherapy for a hemangioma during infancyNadia Haddy
INSERM, U605, Villejuif, France
Radiother Oncol 93:377-82. 2009..This paper presents the incidence of differentiated thyroid adenomas and carcinomas after radiotherapy in this cohort...
- Long-term mortality from second malignant neoplasms in 5-year survivors of solid childhood tumors: temporal pattern of risk according to type of treatmentMarkhaba Tukenova
Radiation Epidemiology Group, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, INSERM, Villejuif, France
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:707-15. 2010..The temporal pattern in mortality from late second malignant neoplasms in solid childhood cancer survivors, according to the type of treatment, has not been investigated in detail...
- Concomitant chemo-radiotherapy and local dose of radiation as risk factors for second malignant neoplasms after solid cancer in childhood: a case-control studySylvie Guerin
National Institute of Public Health and Medical Research INSERM, Unit 605, Villejuif, France
Int J Cancer 120:96-102. 2007..3 (95%CI, 1.1-4.8). Radiation was found to be the foremost treatment-related risk factor for the occurrence of a SMN. Compared to sequential treatment, concomitant chemo-radiotherapy may lead to a higher risk of a SMN...
- Long-term mortality in a cohort study of 6,800 French breast cancer patients treated between 1954 and 1983Houda Boukheris
National Institute of Health and Medical Research, Villejuif, France
Acta Oncol 47:1122-32. 2008..To investigate the impact of initial tumour characteristics and loco-regional radiotherapy on long-term survival following breast cancer diagnosis...
- Cancer mortality among French nuclear contract workersSylvie Guerin
Unit 605, INSERM, Villejuif, France
Am J Ind Med 52:916-25. 2009..Nuclear workers from French contracting companies have received higher doses than workers from Electricité de France (EDF) or Commissariat à l'Energie Atomique (CEA)...
- Long-term evaluation of Ifosfamide-related nephrotoxicity in childrenOdile Oberlin
Pediatrics and Biostatistics Departments, and l Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 27:5350-5. 2009..Ifosfamide is widely used in pediatric oncology but its nephrotoxicity may become a significant issue in survivors. This study is aimed at evaluating the incidence of late renal toxicity of ifosfamide and its risk factors...
- Anthracyclines, mitoxantrone, radiotherapy, and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor: risk factors for leukemia and myelodysplastic syndrome after breast cancerMarie Cecile Le Deley
Biostatistics and Epidemiology Unit, Department of Medicine, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 25:292-300. 2007..To determine the risk factors for acute myeloid leukemia (AML) or myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) after breast cancer...
- The risk of multiple primary breast and thyroid carcinomasElisabeth Adjadj
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, National Institute of Health and Medical Research, Gustave Roussy Institute, Villejuif, France
Cancer 98:1309-17. 2003....
- Risk of secondary leukemia after a solid tumor in childhood according to the dose of epipodophyllotoxins and anthracyclines: a case-control study by the Société Française d'Oncologie PédiatriqueMarie Cecile Le Deley
Biostatistics and Epidemiology Unit, the Radiophysics Unit, the Department of Pediatric Oncology, the Cytogenetics Laboratory, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
J Clin Oncol 21:1074-81. 2003..To estimate the risk of secondary leukemia as a function of the dose of epipodophyllotoxins and anthracyclines...
- [Cardiac toxicity of cancer treatment regimes in children and adolescents: physiopathology, clinical data and the paediatric oncologist's point of view]Francois Pein
Département d Oncologie de l Enfant et l Adolescent, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif
Bull Cancer 91:185-91. 2004..Other cytotoxic drugs such as high-dose cyclophosphamide, amsacrin, 5-FU and tubulin acting agents are also mentioned as a result of their cardiac toxicity, but this is not usually dose-cumulative...
- Leukaemia mortality in French communes (administrative units) with a large and rapid population increaseA Laplanche
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 69:110-3. 1994..0 expected from national mortality statistics. There was no difference in the risk of leukaemia mortality according to sex, age, size of the population increase or region (Ile de France versus others)...
- Thyroid volume measurement in external beam radiotherapy patients using CT imaging: correlation with clinical and anthropometric characteristicsC Veres
INSERM, CESP Centre for research in Epidemiology and Population Health, U1018, Radiation Epidemiology Team, F 94807, Villejuif, France
Phys Med Biol 55:N507-19. 2010....
- Cardiac abnormalities 15 years and more after adriamycin therapy in 229 childhood survivors of a solid tumour at the Institut Gustave RoussyF Pein
Department of Paediatric Oncology, Institut Gustave Roussy, rue Camille Desmoulins 39, 94805 Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 91:37-44. 2004..The risk increases with the dose of adriamycin and radiation received to the heart, without evidence for threshold...
- Cancer mortality during the 1968-1994 period in a mining area in FranceM G Dondon
INSERM U605, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer Prev 14:297-301. 2005..We concluded that the excess of cancer deaths could not be exclusively due to potential professional exposures among the workers of the mining complex and are probably explained by environmental contamination...
- Long-term outcome of 444 patients with distant metastases from papillary and follicular thyroid carcinoma: benefits and limits of radioiodine therapyC Durante
Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2892-9. 2006..The goal of this study was to estimate the cumulative activity of (131)I to be administered to patients with distant metastases from thyroid carcinoma...
- Long-term risk of second malignant neoplasm after a cancer in childhoodF de Vathaire
, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 59:448-52. 1989..The risk of cancer increased with age in the reference population and increased faster in the cohort, because the standardised incidence ratio is constant over a long period...
- Therapeutic administration of 131I for differentiated thyroid cancer: radiation dose to ovaries and outcome of pregnanciesJerome Philippe Garsi
INSERM U605, Villejuif, France
J Nucl Med 49:845-52. 2008....
- Menstrual and reproductive factors in the risk of differentiated thyroid carcinoma in native women in French Polynesia: a population-based case-control studyPauline Brindel
Unit 605, INSERM, Villejuif, France
Am J Epidemiol 167:219-29. 2008..This study confirms the role of menstrual and reproductive factors in the risk of differentiated thyroid cancer in Pacific island populations...
- Expression of cell cycle biomarkers and telomere length in papillary thyroid carcinoma: a comparative study between radiation-associated and spontaneous cancersMihaela Achille
Laboratoire de Radiobiologie et Oncologie, DSV DRR Commissariat à l Energie Atomique, Villejuif, France
Am J Clin Oncol 32:1-8. 2009..To better define the biologic profile of radiation-induced and sporadic PTC, we compared in these two groups of PTC the expression of cell cycle regulatory proteins and telomere length...
- Individual radiation therapy patient whole-body phantoms for peripheral dose evaluations: method and specific softwareI Alziar
U605 INSERM, Villejuif, France IFR69, Villejuif, France Université Paris XI, Villejuif, France Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Phys Med Biol 54:N375-83. 2009..Although present results are preliminary and our research is ongoing, they appear encouraging, since such patient-adjusted phantoms are crucial in the optimization of radiation protection of patients and for follow-up studies...
- Thyroid cancer after radiation exposureC Rubino
INSERM U 521 and Department of Nuclear Medicine and Endocrine Tumors, Institut Gustave Roussy, 94805 Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 38:645-7. 2002
- Potential therapeutic role of cisplatinum in autologous bone marrow transplantation: in vitro eradication of neuroblastoma cells from bone marrowL Bettan Renaud
, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif, France
Br J Cancer 60:529-32. 1989..Results indicate that cisplatinum exhibits a high and specific tumoricidal property and appears to be valid in bone marrow purging...
- Anthropometric factors in differentiated thyroid cancer in French Polynesia: a case-control studyPauline Brindel
INSERM Unit 605, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Cancer Causes Control 20:581-90. 2009....
- Poorly differentiated follicular thyroid carcinoma: prognostic factors and relevance of histological classificationMelania Pulcrano
Nuclear Medicine and Endocrine Oncology, Commissariat à l Energie Atomique LRC29V, Institut Gustave Roussy and University Paris Sud, Villejuif, France
Thyroid 17:639-46. 2007....
- Genetic epidemiology of neuroblastoma: a study of 426 cases at the Institut Gustave-Roussy in FranceTaraneh Shojaei-Brosseau
Unité de Recherches en Epidémiologie des Cancers INSERM U521, Institut Gustave Roussy, Villejuif Cedex, France
Pediatr Blood Cancer 42:99-105. 2004..The aim of this study was to estimate the fraction of inherited cases and penetrance associated with a carrier status, and to investigate the hypothesis that susceptibility cancer genes might be non-specific...
- Radiation dose and relapse are predictors for development of second malignant solid tumors after cancer in childhood and adolescence: a population-based case-control study in the five Nordic countriesGudrun Svahn-Tapper
Department of Radiation Physics, University Hospital, Lund, Sweden
Acta Oncol 45:438-48. 2006..However, in combination with radiotherapy, chemotherapy showed a significant potentiating effect. Relapse was found to be an independent risk factor for development of an SMST, with a higher relative risk for females than for males...
- Radiation exposure and familial aggregation of cancers as risk factors for colorectal cancer after radioiodine treatment for thyroid carcinomaCarole Rubino
National Institute of Public Health and Medical Research, INSERM, Unit 605, Institut Gustave Roussy, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 62:1084-9. 2005..The aim of this study in thyroid cancer patients was to evaluate the role of familial factors in the risk of colorectal cancer and their potential interaction with radioiodine exposure...
- Childhood malignancies in French Polynesia during the 1985-1995 periodCécile Challeton De Vathaire
Institut de Radioprotection et de Surete Nucleaire, Le Vesinet, France
Trop Med Int Health 9:1005-11. 2004..The incidence of acute non-lymphocytic leukaemia (ANLL) decreased from 3.3 x 10(-5) between 1985 and 1989, an unexpectedly high incidence, to 0.8 x 10(-5) between 1990 and 1995...
- Radiation dose, chemotherapy and risk of soft tissue sarcoma after solid tumours during childhoodAxelle Menu-Branthomme
National Institute of Public Health and Medical Research, Unit XUR521, Gustave Roussy Institute, 39 rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif Cedex, France
Int J Cancer 110:87-93. 2004..A closer surveillance of children treated with this treatment combination is strongly recommended...
- Reconstruction of individual radiation doses for a case-control study of thyroid cancer in French PolynesiaVladimir Drozdovitch
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150, cours Albert Thomas, Lyon, Cedex 08, F 69372, France
Health Phys 94:418-33. 2008..A thorough compilation of the results of all radiation monitoring that was performed in French Polynesia in 1966-1974 would be likely to greatly improve the reliability and the precision of the dose estimates...
- Role of radiotherapy and chemotherapy in the risk of secondary leukaemia after a solid tumour in childhoodNadia Haddy
National Institute of Public Health and Medical Research INSERM Unit 605, Institut Gustave Roussy, rue Camille Desmoulins, 94805 Villejuif, France
Eur J Cancer 42:2757-64. 2006..Our results suggest that the long-term risk of secondary leukaemia could be higher than previously reported...
- Potential funding crisis for the Radiation Effects Research FoundationMark P Little
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Imperial College Faculty of Medicine, London W2 1PG, UK
Lancet 364:557-8. 2004
- Funding crisis at the Radiation Effects Research FoundationMark P Little
J Radiol Prot 24:195-7. 2004
- Efficacy and tolerability of hyaluronan (ialuset) in the treatment of pressure ulcers: a multicentre, non-randomised, pilot studyBrigitte Barrois
Service de médecine physique et réadaptation, Centre Hospitalier de Gonesse, Gonesse, France
Drugs R D 8:267-73. 2007..However, no clinical trials of hyaluronan as a treatment option for pressure ulcers have been reported as yet...