Affiliation: Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique
- Genetic analysis of emotional reactivity in sheep: effects of the genotypes of the lambs and of their damsAlain Boissy
Unité de Recherches sur les Herbivores ACS, INRA, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Genet Sel Evol 37:381-401. 2005..The highest heritability was for high bleats (h2 = 0.48). Females were more active and avoided human contact more than did males...
- Assessment of positive emotions in animals to improve their welfareAlain Boissy
INRA, UR1213 Herbivores, Site de Theix, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Physiol Behav 92:375-97. 2007..Play, affiliative behaviors and some vocalizations appear to be the most promising convenient indicators for assessing positive experiences in laboratory and farm animals under commercial conditions...
- Presence of cues from stressed conspecifics increases reactivity to aversive events in cattle: evidence for the existence of alarm substances in urineA Boissy
Laboratoire Adaptation des Herbivores aux Milieux, I N R A Centre de Theix, Clermont Ferrand, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Physiol Behav 63:489-95. 1998..25.8+/-8.6 s). The results show that heifers perceive the state of increased stress of conspecifics and become more fearful as a result. They further show that this perception is at least partly mediated by olfactory cues in the urine...
- Emotional experience in sheep: predictability of a sudden event lowers subsequent emotional responsesLucile Greiveldinger
INRA, UR1213 Herbivores, Centre de Clermont Ferrand Theix, Adaptation et Comportements Sociaux, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Physiol Behav 92:675-83. 2007..These results underline that the cognitive abilities of animals should be taken into account when assessing their emotional experiences and more generally their mood states, which are underlying factors of animal welfare...
- Appraisal process in sheep (Ovis aries): interactive effect of suddenness and unfamiliarity on cardiac and behavioral responsesLara Désiré
Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Clermont Ferrand Theix, F 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Comp Psychol 120:280-7. 2006..The combination of suddenness and unfamiliarity enhanced both the heart rate increase and the behavioral orientation response. These results support the hypotheses of specificity and modulation of emotional expressions...
- Human-lamb bonding: oxytocin, cortisol and behavioural responses of lambs to human contacts and social separationMarjorie Coulon
INRA, UMRH1213 Herbivores, Site de Theix, 63122 Saint Genes Champanelle, France
Psychoneuroendocrinology 38:499-508. 2013..In conclusion, lambs displayed affiliative responses towards their caregiver, and the lack of cortisol response during isolation while oxytocin was released suggest an anti-stress effect of oxytocin...
- Emotionality modulates the effect of chronic stress on feeding behaviour in birdsAngélique Favreau-Peigné
UMR 791 Modélisation Systémique Appliquée aux Ruminants, AgroParisTech, Paris, France UMR 791 Modélisation Systémique Appliquée aux Ruminants, INRA, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 9:e87249. 2014..However differences in feed motivation and emotional reactivity between lines under chronic stress suggested that they experienced different emotional state and use different ways to cope with it depending on their genetic background. ..
- On the way to assess emotions in animals: do lambs (Ovis aries) evaluate an event through its suddenness, novelty, or unpredictability?Lara Désiré
Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique Clermont Ferrand Theix, Unite de Recherches sur les Herbivores, Saint Genes Champanelle, France
J Comp Psychol 118:363-74. 2004..There was no clear evidence that lambs can detect the predictability of an event. Those results support the usefulness of appraisal theories to assess emotion in animals...
- Effect of one week of stress on emotional reactivity and learning and memory performances in Japanese quailLudovic Calandreau
INRA, UMR85 Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, F 37380 Nouzilly, France
Behav Brain Res 217:104-10. 2011..Such a stress period can improve spatial learning performances in quail supporting the critical role played by the duration of the stress period on cognitive performance...
- Effects of prenatal undernutrition on emotional reactivity and cognitive flexibility in adult sheepHans W Erhard
The Macaulay Institute, Craigiebuckler, Aberdeen AB15 8QH, UK
Behav Brain Res 151:25-35. 2004..Undernutrition during pregnancy, therefore, not only affects the welfare of the dam, but also the personality of her offspring...
- Changes in Heart Rate Variability during a tonic immobility test in quailDorothée Valance
INRA CNRS UMR 85 Université François Rabelais de Tours Haras nationaux, Unite de Physiologie de la Reproduction et des Comportements, INRA Centre de Tours Nouzilly, 37380 Nouzilly, France
Physiol Behav 93:512-20. 2008..It is probably strongly related to the perception of the test by the quail. During TI, the differences between lines in autonomic responses probably reflect behavioural differences in the fear response...