- Intravenous iron administration does not significantly increase the risk of bacteremia in chronic hemodialysis patientsB Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hĵpital Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Clin Nephrol 57:457-61. 2002..Recently, concern was raised that intravenous iron administration might promote infection in dialysis patients...
- Special issues in the management of infective endocarditis caused by gram-positive cocciBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, F 25030 Besancon, France
Infect Dis Clin North Am 16:437-52, xi. 2002....
- Changing profile of infective endocarditis: results of a 1-year survey in FranceBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
JAMA 288:75-81. 2002....
- Characteristics and regional variations of group D streptococcal endocarditis in FranceE Giannitsioti
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, France, and University General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:770-6. 2007..3% and Rhône-Alpes 65.3%) than in exclusively urban regions (Paris and Ile de France 58.0%). Further investigations are required to elucidate the link in France between the incidence of GDS IE, rural residency and nutritional factors...
- [Infective endocarditis: epidemiology and diagnosis.]B Hoen
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, , , 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Rev Med Interne 28:S22-6. 2007
- [Critical analysis of antibiotic treatment of acute gastroenteritis in infants and young children]N Khayat
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besancon, 2, Place Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Arch Pediatr 9:1230-5. 2002..Antibiotics are usually not recommended in the management of acute gastroenteritis (AGE) in infants. Our study aimed at testing whether our practice was in adequacy with this recommendation...
- Non-staphylococcal Gram-positive bacteraemia without a known sourceBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, University of Besançon Medical Center, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Int J Antimicrob Agents 32:S15-7. 2008..These organisms include streptococci of groups A, B, C and G. Bacteraemia caused by nutritionally variant streptococci is also discussed...
- [What has changed in the profile of infective endocarditis?]Bruno Hoen
Association pour l étude et la prévention de l endocardite infectieuse, France
Presse Med 39:701-3. 2010..These changes also resulted in a decreasing incidence of streptococcal IE, which was compensated by an increased incidence of staphylococcal IE...
- Epidemiology and antibiotic treatment of infective endocarditis: an updateBruno Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, , , France
Heart 92:1694-700. 2006
- Structured treatment interruptions in primary HIV-1 infection: the ANRS 100 PRIMSTOP trialBruno Hoen
Department of Infectious Diseases and EA 3186, University Medical Center of Besançon and Université de Franche Comté, Villejuif, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 40:307-16. 2005....
- [Evaluation of antibiotic prescription in a French university hospital]I Patry
Service de Bacteriologie, CHU de Besancon, Besancon, France
Med Mal Infect 38:378-82. 2008..The aim of this study was to evaluate antibiotic prescription in a French university hospital...
- Infective endocarditis prophylaxis: moving from dental prophylaxis to global prevention?C Chirouze
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Besancon, Besancon, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:2089-95. 2012....
- [Seroprevalence of Central European tick-borne encephalitis in the Lorraine region]H Schuhmacher
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Nancy, Vandoeuvrelès Nancy, France
Presse Med 28:221-4. 1999..As 2 cases of tick-borne encephalitis were diagnosed in the Nancy region, a seroepidemiological survey was conducted in the Lorraine region (Meurthe & Moselle, Moselle, Vosges, Meuse) in 1996...
- Iron and infection: clinical experienceB Hoen
Centre Hospitalier Régional et Universitaire de Besançon, Hopital Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Am J Kidney Dis 34:S30-4. 1999..However, the relationships between iron levels, anemia, and susceptibility to bacterial infection require further investigation...
- Environmental risk factors for haemorrhagic fever with renal syndrome in a French new epidemic areaJ F Viel
CNRS no 6249 Chrono Environment, Faculty of Medicine, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, 2 Place Saint Jacques, Besancon, France
Epidemiol Infect 139:867-74. 2011..Concerted efforts that combine reservoir monitoring, surveillance, and investigation of human cases are warranted to better understand the epidemiological patterns of HFRS in this area...
- Highly active antiretroviral treatment initiated early in the course of symptomatic primary HIV-1 infection: results of the ANRS 053 trialB Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, CHU de Besançon Hôpital Saint Jacques, F 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
J Infect Dis 180:1342-6. 1999..The median CD4 lymphocyte increase from baseline was 230 cells/microL. These preliminary results support the use of HAART in patients with primary HIV-1 infection...
- Emergence of endocarditis due to group D streptococci: findings derived from the merged database of the International Collaboration on EndocarditisB Hoen
University Hospital of Besancon, Besancon, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 24:12-6. 2005..In conclusion, this study confirmed that S. bovis IE has unique characteristics when compared to endocarditis due to oral streptococci and that it emerged in the 1990s, mainly in France, a finding that is yet unexplained...
- [Differentiating bacterial from viral meningitis: contribution of nonmicrobiological laboratory tests]B Hoen
Service de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, CHU de Besancon, 2, Place Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex, France
Med Mal Infect 39:468-72. 2009....
- Parallel decline of CD8+/CD38++ T cells and viraemia in response to quadruple highly active antiretroviral therapy in primary HIV infectionRichard Tilling
Department of Immunology and Molecular Pathology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, Royal Free Campus, London NW3 2QG, UK
AIDS 16:589-96. 2002....
- Predictors of virological outcome and safety in primary HIV type 1-infected patients initiating quadruple antiretroviral therapy: QUEST GW PROB3005Bruno Hoen
Department of Infectious Diseases, University Medical Centre, Besancon, France
Clin Infect Dis 45:381-90. 2007..Initiation of antiretroviral therapy during primary human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 infection may confer long-term benefit...
- Treatment and prevention of infective endocarditisFrancois Delahaye
Hopital Louis Pradel, BP Lyon Montchat, 69394 Lyon Cedex 03, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 3:131-45. 2002....
- In-hospital mortality of infective endocarditis: prognostic factors and evolution over an 8-year periodFrancois Delahaye
Hopital Cardiovasculaire et Pneumologique, Lyon, France
Scand J Infect Dis 39:849-57. 2007..Multivariate analysis identified factors classically known as having an impact on mortality. However, other factors, such as age and responsibility of Staphylococcus aureus, were not retained in the model...
- Genotypic drug resistance during HIV-1 primary infection in France (1996-1999): frequency and response to treatmentMartine Harzic
Service de Microbiologie, Centre Hospitalier de Versailles, Le Chesnay, France
AIDS 16:793-6. 2002
- Infective endocarditis: a frequent disease in dialysis patientsBruno Hoen
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:1360-2. 2004
- Staphylococcus aureus endocarditis: a consequence of medical progressVance G Fowler
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
JAMA 293:3012-21. 2005..The global significance of infective endocarditis (IE) caused by Staphylococcus aureus is unknown...
- Impact of therapeutic immunization on HIV-1 viremia after discontinuation of antiretroviral therapy initiated during acute infectionSabine Kinloch-de Loes
Department of Medicine, Royal Free Centre for HIV Medicine, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 192:607-17. 2005..Our trial design appears to be feasible and safe for testing future immune-boosting strategies...
- Emergence of coagulase-negative staphylococci as a cause of native valve endocarditisVivian H Chu
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Clin Infect Dis 46:232-42. 2008..Coagulase-negative staphylococci (CoNS) are an infrequent cause of native valve endocarditis (NVE), and our understanding of NVE caused by CoNS is incomplete...
- Genotypic diversity of coagulase-negative staphylococci causing endocarditis: a global perspectiveCathy A Petti
Department of Medicine, University of Utah School of Medicine, Salt Lake City, Utah 84108, USA
J Clin Microbiol 46:1780-4. 2008..In particular, rpoB sequence data demonstrated unique genetic signatures with the potential to serve as an important tool for global surveillance...
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for infective endocarditisJames L Harrison
Department of Cardiology, St Mary's Hospital, London, UK
Lancet 371:1317-9. 2008
- The use and effect of surgical therapy for prosthetic valve infective endocarditis: a propensity analysis of a multicenter, international cohortAndrew Wang
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am Heart J 150:1086-91. 2005....
- Use of surgery in patients with native valve infective endocarditis: results from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseChristopher H Cabell
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Am Heart J 150:1092-8. 2005..The aim of the study was to characterize patients with native valve IE relative to surgery and to determine if patients who benefit from an early surgical intervention can be identified...
- Native valve endocarditis due to coagulase-negative staphylococci: report of 99 episodes from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseVivian H Chu
Department of Medicine, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:1527-30. 2004..These results emphasize the importance of CoNS as a cause of NVE and the potential for serious complications with this infection...
- Endocarditis in patients with a permanent pacemaker: a 1-year epidemiological survey on infective endocarditis due to valvular and/or pacemaker infectionXavier Duval
University Medical Center of Bichat-Claude Bernard, Assistance Publique-Hopital de Paris, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 39:68-74. 2004..The incidence of age- and sex-standardized IE was 550 cases/million PM recipients per year. The incidence of IE with PM involvement is between that of valvular IE in the general population and prosthetic valve IE...
- Leptotrichia endocarditis: report of two cases from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis (ICE) database and review of previous casesL B Caram
Division of Infectious Diseases, Duke University Medical Center, Box 3824, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:139-43. 2008..goodfellowii sp. nov. Both cases were identified using 16S rRNA gene sequencing. Review of the English literature revealed only two other cases of Leptotrichia sp. endocarditis...
- Staphylococcus aureus native valve infective endocarditis: report of 566 episodes from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseJose M Miro
Hospital Clinic Institut d Investigacions Biomediques August Pi i Sunyer, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 41:507-14. 2005..Staphylococcus aureus native valve infective endocarditis (SA-NVIE) is not completely understood. The objective of this investigation was to describe the characteristics of a large, international cohort of patients with SA-NVIE...
- Negligible risk for epidemics after geophysical disastersNathalie Floret
, Besancon, France
Emerg Infect Dis 12:543-8. 2006..Even though the humanitarian response may play a role in preventing epidemics, our results lend support to the epidemiologic evidence that short-term risk for epidemics after a geophysical disaster is very low...
- [Follow up of HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral treatment]Catherine Chirouze
Service des Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, 25030 Besancon Cedex
Rev Prat 56:966-75. 2006..The immunologic restoration under antiretroviral treatment makes possible for the physicians to stop the chimioprophylaxies given against the opportunist infections...
- Influence of diabetes mellitus on the clinical manifestations and prognosis of infective endocarditis: a report from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis-Merged DatabaseWissam M Kourany
Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC, USA
Scand J Infect Dis 38:613-9. 2006..08-2.70), especially in male patients, as diabetic males had higher mortality than non-diabetic males (OR 2.18, CI 1.08-4.35). DM is an independent predictor of in-hospital mortality among patients hospitalized with IE...
- Diabetes mellitus and infective endocarditis: the insulin factor in patient morbidity and mortalityXavier Duval
Universite Paris 7, Denis Diderot, Laboratoire de pathologie Infectieuse, Paris, France
Eur Heart J 28:59-64. 2007..To analyse the characteristics of infective endocarditis (IE) in patients with diabetes mellitus (DM), and to evaluate the prognostic significance of DM according to insulin use...
- Low serum procalcitonin level accurately predicts the absence of bacteremia in adult patients with acute feverCatherine Chirouze
Services de Maladies Infectieuses et Tropicales, , , France
Clin Infect Dis 35:156-61. 2002..05). A serum PCT level of <0.4 ng/mL accurately rules out the diagnosis of bacteremia. The use of PCT assessment could help physicians limit the number of blood cultures to be processed and the number of antibiotic prescriptions...
- Introduction of SARS in France, March-April, 2003Jean Claude Desenclos
Département Maladies Infectieuses, Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France
Emerg Infect Dis 10:195-200. 2004..Timely detection, isolation of probable case-patients, and quarantine of their contacts appear to have been effective in preventing the secondary spread of SARS in France...
- Clinical characteristics and outcome of aortic endocarditis with periannular abscess in the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged DatabaseIgnasi Anguera
, Hospital de Sabadell, University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Am J Cardiol 96:976-81. 2005..S. aureus infection is an independent prognostic factor for mortality in patients who have abscess formation...
- Propionibacterium endocarditis: a case series from the International Collaboration on Endocarditis Merged Database and Prospective Cohort StudyTahaniyat Lalani
Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, 2400 Pratt Street, Cube 7545, Durham, NC 27710 USA
Scand J Infect Dis 39:840-8. 2007..The clinical course is characterized by complications such as valvular dehiscence, cardiac abscesses and congestive heart failure. Treatment may require a combination of medical and surgical therapy...
- The management of leptospirosisJean François Faucher
Service des Maladies Infectiuses et Tropicales, Hopital Saint Jacques, Cedex, France
Expert Opin Pharmacother 5:819-27. 2004..Ciprofloxacin may be combined with standard therapy in uveitis. Adjunctive therapies proposed in the management of severe forms of leptospirosis and Jarisch-Herxheimer reactions, are reviewed...