- [Descriptive epidemiology and risk factors of depression in the elderly]Catherine Helmer
INSERM U 593, Universite de Bordeaux, France
Psychol Neuropsychiatr Vieil 2:S7-12. 2004..To decrease the consequences of depression and to improve the quality of life of the elderly, the screening and treatment of depression should be strengthened in the general elderly population...
- Dementia in subjects aged 75 years or over within the PAQUID cohort: prevalence and burden by severityCatherine Helmer
INSERM U 593 Université de Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 22:87-94. 2006..To analyze the prevalence of dementia by severity and to describe the sociodemographic characteristics of people with dementia in the community, as well as the consequences of this disease in terms of disability and institutionalization...
- Chronic kidney disease, cognitive decline, and incident dementia: the 3C StudyC Helmer
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, F 33076 Bordeaux cedex, France
Neurology 77:2043-51. 2011..To evaluate the longitudinal relationship between moderate chronic kidney disease (CKD), decline in kidney function, and microalbuminuria with subsequent cognitive decline and incident dementia...
- Predictive value of 6-month decline in ADAS-cog for survival without severe Alzheimer's diseaseCatherine Helmer
INSERM U593, Universite de Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 23:168-74. 2007..To determine the predictive value of the 6-month evolution of the ADAS-cog score in initially mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease (AD) patients on the risk of death or severe dementia (MMSE <10) within 2 years...
- Association between antioxidant nutritional indicators and the incidence of dementia: results from the PAQUID prospective cohort studyC Helmer
INSERM U 330, Universite de Bordeaux II, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:1555-61. 2003..To analyse the relation between antioxidant vitamins A, E, and malondialdehyde (MDA) lipoperoxidation product plasma concentrations with incident dementia...
- Primary and secondary care consultations in elderly demented individuals in France. Results from the Three-City StudyCatherine Helmer
INSERM, U897, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 26:407-15. 2008..Our purpose was to analyze consultations with primary- and secondary-care physicians by demented people and identify factors that hamper or facilitate consultation...
- Mortality with dementia: results from a French prospective community-based cohortC Helmer
INSERM U 330, Universite de Bordeaux II, Bordeaux, France
Am J Epidemiol 154:642-8. 2001..47, 95% CI: 0.27, 0.83). Educational level was not significantly associated with survival in persons with dementia. These results provide further evidence of the malignancy of dementia, which will be a challenge for the 21st century...
- Occupation during life and risk of dementia in French elderly community residentsC Helmer
INSERM U 330, Universite de Bordeaux II, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 71:303-9. 2001..To determine whether principal occupation during life is a risk factor for incident Alzheimer's disease, vascular dementia, or dementia with parkinsonism...
- Becoming a nonagenarian: factors associated with survival up to 90 years old in 70+ men and women. Results from the PAQUID longitudinal cohortA Edjolo
Arlette Edjolo, ISPED, INSERM U897, Case 11, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France, tel 33 5 57 57 46 13, fax 33 5 57 57 14 86
J Nutr Health Aging 17:881-92. 2013..To identify factors associated with survival to the age of 90 years old in 70+ elderly people. Design: The PAQUID prospective cohort on brain and functional ageing...
- Are sex and educational level independent predictors of dementia and Alzheimer's disease? Incidence data from the PAQUID projectL Letenneur
Unité INSERM 330, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 66:177-83. 1999..To examine the age specific risk of Alzheimer's disease according to sex, and to explore the role of education in a cohort of elderly community residents aged 65 years and older...
- Subjective health and mortality in French elderly women and menC Helmer
INSERM Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Universite de Bordeaux II, France
J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 54:S84-92. 1999..To examine the predictive value of subjective health on mortality separately in women and men, independently of other health measures, and to explain the differences between sexes by way of cognition, depression, and disability...
- A simple score to predict survival with dementia in the general populationF Delva
centre Inserm U897, ISPED, CHU de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Neuroepidemiology 41:20-8. 2013..This study was designed to develop a practical risk score for predicting 5-year survival after the diagnosis of dementia...
- Oral health condition of French elderly and risk of dementia: a longitudinal cohort studyE Arrive
Department of Oral Health, Universite Victor Segalen, Bordeaux, France
Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 40:230-8. 2012..The objective of this study thus was to describe the oral condition of French community-dwelling elderly persons and to assess its relationship with the occurrence of dementia...
- A 15-year population-based cohort study of the incidence of Parkinson's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies in an elderly French cohortF Perez
Parkinson s Disease and Related Disorders Unit, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University Hospital, Bordeaux, France
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 81:742-6. 2010..To provide global and age-related incidence over 65 years of Parkinsonian syndromes (PS), Parkinson's disease (PD) and suspected dementia with Lewy bodies (DLB)...
- [Relationship between educational level and dementia: social factor and age-related chronic disease]J F Dartigues
INSERM U897, Université Bordeaux Segalen, 146, rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 61:S195-8. 2013..With the general improvement of the educational level, the age-related incidence of AD and dementia should decrease in the future. ..
- Fast cognitive decline at the time of dementia diagnosis: a major prognostic factor for survival in the communityLaure Carcaillon
INSERM, Unit 593, Bordeaux, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 23:439-45. 2007..Our study aimed at confirming the concept of fast decliners at the time of Alzheimer's disease (AD) diagnosis which best predicts mortality, in an unselected sample...
- [Alzheimer's disease: a public health problem: yes, but a priority?]J F Dartigues
Unité INSERM 330, Universite de Bordeaux II, Bordeaux
Rev Neurol (Paris) 158:311-5. 2002..In summary, Alzheimer's Disease (AD) has all the criteria required for a major public health problem. In spite of this observation, AD is not yet considered as a priority for health authorities, although attitudes are changing...
- [Quasi-experimental evaluation of a nutritional educational intervention among home support assistants for the elderly]P Barberger-Gateau
Unité INSERM U593 Epidémiologie, Santé Publique et Développement, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146, rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex
Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique 54:233-43. 2006..The objective of our study was to evaluate the impact of a nutritional education intervention on knowledge and practices among home support assistants for the elderly...
- Validity of the free and cued selective reminding test in predicting dementia: the 3C studyS Auriacombe
Hôpital Pellegrin CMRR, 33076 Bordeaux CEDEX France
Neurology 74:1760-7. 2010..We assessed the validity of the Free and Cued Selective Reminding Test (FCSRT) in predicting dementia 2 and 5 years after initial evaluation in a population-based cohort over age 65 years participating in the French 3 Cities (3C) study...
- Metabolic syndrome and cognitive decline in French elders: the Three-City StudyC Raffaitin
Diabetology Nutrition Unit, University Hospital of Bordeaux, Pessac, France
Neurology 76:518-25. 2011..To examine associations between metabolic syndrome (MetS) and its individual components with risk of cognitive decline on specific cognitive functions...
- [Prevalence of dementia and Alzheimer's disease among subjects aged 75 years or over: updated results of the PAQUID cohort]H Ramaroson
Unité INSERM 330, Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux II
Rev Neurol (Paris) 159:405-11. 2003..These results point out the importance of regarding dementia as a Public Health priority and of developing necessary measures for caring for these subjects, whether residing in their home or an institution...
- Nutritional factors and risk of incident dementia in the PAQUID longitudinal cohortS Larrieu
Epidemiology Research Unit, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U593, Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Nutr Health Aging 8:150-4. 2004..The aim of this study was to present a summary of the results obtained in the PAQUID study regarding wine consumption, fish and seafood consumption and vitamin A and E plasma concentrations...
- Natural history of decline in instrumental activities of daily living performance over the 10 years preceding the clinical diagnosis of dementia: a prospective population-based studyKarine Pérès
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U593, Bordeaux, France
J Am Geriatr Soc 56:37-44. 2008..To study the subtle changes in instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs) over the 10 years preceding the clinical diagnosis of dementia...
- The 9 year cognitive decline before dementia of the Alzheimer type: a prospective population-based studyHelene Amieva
INSERM Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unit 593, Bordeaux, France
Brain 128:1093-101. 2005....
- Ten-year change in disability prevalence and related factors in two generations of French elderly community dwellers: data from the PAQUID studyKarine Pérès
INSERM U593, Case 11, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146, rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Aging Clin Exp Res 17:229-35. 2005..Our aim was to study the 10-year evolution of disability prevalence in elderly community dwellers and related factors...
- Prevalence of cholinesterase inhibitors in subjects with dementia in EuropeAntoine Pariente
INSERM, U657, F33076 Bordeaux, France
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 17:655-60. 2008..To evaluate the prevalence of cholinesterase inhibitor (ChI) treatment in subjects with dementia in European countries...
- What aspects of social network are protective for dementia? Not the quantity but the quality of social interactions is protective up to 15 years laterHelene Amieva
INSERM, U897, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, F 33076 Bordeaux cedex, France
Psychosom Med 72:905-11. 2010..To test the association between several social networks variables reflecting both structural characteristics and quality of relationships with the risk of dementia and Alzheimer's disease 5 and up to 15 years later...
- [Epidemiology of Alzheimer disease and related disorders]Catherine Helmer
INSERM U 593, Universite de Bordeaux II, 146, rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Med Sci (Paris) 22:288-96. 2006..Four ways of prevention are credible. The most important is the treatment of vascular risk factors and particularly hypertension. Other ways are nutritional factors, stimulating leisure activities and depression...
- [Activities in retired people and the risk of dementia]Melanie Le Goff
Inserm U897 et Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146, rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
C R Biol 332:378-84. 2009..The age of cessation of professional activity is not associated with the risk of dementia. An active life seems to be a possible way to prevent dementia...
- Metabolic syndrome and risk for incident Alzheimer's disease or vascular dementia: the Three-City StudyChristelle Raffaitin
Diabetology Nutrition Unit, University Hospital of Bordeaux, Pessac, France
Diabetes Care 32:169-74. 2009..Associations between metabolic syndrome and its individual components with risk of incident dementia and its different subtypes are inconsistent...
- Aluminum and silica in drinking water and the risk of Alzheimer's disease or cognitive decline: findings from 15-year follow-up of the PAQUID cohortVirginie Rondeau
Division of Biostatistics, Unité 897, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Bordeaux F 33076, France
Am J Epidemiol 169:489-96. 2009..89, P=0.036). However, geographic exposure to aluminum or silica from tap water was not associated with dementia. High consumption of aluminum from drinking water may be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease...
- The disablement process: a conceptual framework for dementia-associated disabilityP Barberger-Gateau
INSERM U330, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 13:60-6. 2002..We show how the model can help in understanding the functional consequences of dementia, for better assessment and management of demented subjects...
- Dementia case management effectiveness on health care costs and resource utilization: a systematic review of randomized controlled trialsC Pimouguet
INSERM, U 897, and Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33 076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
J Nutr Health Aging 14:669-76. 2010..Further research should focus on determining subgroups of caregivers who could benefit the most from case management...
- Vasodilators and nootropics as predictors of dementia and mortality in the PAQUID cohortJean Francois Dartigues
INSERM U 593, Universite de Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
J Am Geriatr Soc 55:395-9. 2007..To assess the effects of treatment for memory impairment and the Ginkgo biloba extract (EGb 761) on dementia, mortality, and survival without dementia...
- Hyperglycaemia, microangiopathy, diabetes and dementia riskI Bourdel-Marchasson
CHU of Bordeaux, Department of Gerontology, Bordeaux, France
Diabetes Metab 36:S112-8. 2010..Which preventive actions should be implemented in aging patients with diabetes? Finally, what type of care should be provided for people with diabetes and mild cognitive impairment or overt dementia to slow down cognitive worsening?..
- Plasma retinol and association with socio-demographic and dietary characteristics of free-living older persons: the Bordeaux sample of the three-city studyCatherine Feart
INSERM, U897, Univ Victor Segalen Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Int J Vitam Nutr Res 80:32-44. 2010..These results allow targeting older individuals who are at risk of either excessive or deficient vitamin A status and who should benefit from dietary counseling...
- A subtest of the MMSE as a valid test of episodic memory? Comparison with the Free and Cued Reminding TestLaure Carcaillon
INSERM, Unit 897, Bordeaux, France
Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord 27:429-38. 2009..Episodic memory impairment is known to be the core of Alzheimer's disease (AD) dementia syndrome and one of the earliest domains to decline. However, episodic memory tests are long and expensive...
- Macronutrient intake and discrepancy with nutritional recommendations in a group of elderly diabetic subjectsCatherine Helmer
INSERM, U593, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Br J Nutr 99:632-8. 2008..These results should be taken into account to adapt nutritional advice given to the diabetic population...
- Seropositivity to herpes simplex virus antibodies and risk of Alzheimer's disease: a population-based cohort studyLuc Letenneur
INSERM, U897, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 3:e3637. 2008....
- Bronchitis-like symptoms and proximity air pollution in French elderlyMalek Bentayeb
INSERM, UMR S 707 EPAR, Paris F 75012, France
Respir Med 104:880-8. 2010..Our aim was to explore the association between respiratory health and proximity air quality in elderly...
- Effects of exercise programs to prevent decline in health-related quality of life in highly deconditioned institutionalized elderly persons: a randomized controlled trialArnaud Dechamps
Department of Physical Activity and Exercise Psychology, LACES 4140, Faculte des Sciences du Sport, Bordeaux, France
Arch Intern Med 170:162-9. 2010....
- [Epidemiology of chronic kidney disease in France]Benedicte Stengel
INSERM U780 IFR69, Unité de recherches en épidémiologie et biostatistiques, Villejuif
Presse Med 36:1811-21. 2007..In two thirds of those older than 70 years, the GFR estimated by laboratories according to Cockcroft and Gault's formula is between 30 and 60 mL/min, but this does not always signal the presence of chronic kidney disease...