- Climate and cultural aspects in intensive care unitsBertrand Guidet
INSERM, Unité de Recherche en Épidémiologie Systèmes d Information et Modélisation U707, Paris, F 75012, France
Crit Care 15:312. 2011..Then, we show how the ICU culture can be measured, and summarise research on the culture-performance relationship in ICUs...
- Specific antioxidant properties of human serum albuminMyriam Taverna
Université Paris Sud Faculté de Pharmacie, 92290, Chatenay Malabry, France
Ann Intensive Care 3:4. 2013..To conclude, we discuss the implication of this recent literature for future clinical trials using albumin as a drug and for elucidating the effects of HSA infusion in critically ill patients...
- The COASST study: cost-effectiveness of albumin in severe sepsis and septic shockBertrand Guidet
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, UMR S707, Paris, F 75012, France
J Crit Care 22:197-203. 2007..The cost-effectiveness of albumin-based fluid support in patients with severe sepsis is not known...
- [Field 3. Structural and managerial skills for improvement in safety practice. French-speaking Society of Intensive Care. French Society of Anesthesia and Resuscitation]B Guidet
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, AP HP, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Ann Fr Anesth Reanim 27:e65-70. 2008..The volume-outcome relationship has been demonstrated across a wide range of medical and surgical procedures. On average, higher volume is associated with higher quality and better outcome...
- Should fresh blood be recommended for intensive care patients?Bertrand Guidet
INSERM, Unité de Recherche en Epidémiologie Systèmes d Information et Modélisation, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Crit Care 14:158. 2010..The rationale is strong and the potential benefit of fresh blood is substantial...
- A balanced view of balanced solutionsBertrand Guidet
INSERM, Unité de Recherche en Épidémiologie Systèmes d Information et Modélisation U707, Paris F 75012, France
Crit Care 14:325. 2010....
- Comparison of routine and on-demand prescription of chest radiographs in mechanically ventilated adults: a multicentre, cluster-randomised, two-period crossover studyGilles Hejblum
U707, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Paris, France
Lancet 374:1687-93. 2009..By comparison between routine and on-demand strategies, we aimed to establish which strategy was more efficient and effective for optimum patient care...
- Improvement in the prognosis of cirrhotic patients admitted to an intensive care unit, a retrospective studyArnaud Galbois
AP HP, Saint Antoine Hospital, Medical Intensive Care Unit, 184 rue du Faubourg, Saint Antoine, Paris Cedex 12, France
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 24:897-904. 2012..To examine how the outcomes of cirrhotic patients admitted to an ICU have changed over time...
- Cirrhotic patients in the medical intensive care unit: early prognosis and long-term survivalVincent Das
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 38:2108-16. 2010..To reassess the prognosis of patients with cirrhosis admitted to the intensive care unit...
- Selection of intensive care unit admission criteria for patients aged 80 years and over and compliance of emergency and intensive care unit physicians with the selected criteria: An observational, multicenter, prospective studyMaite Garrouste-Orgeas
Saint Joseph Hospital Network, Medical Chirurgical ICU, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 37:2919-28. 2009..To describe intensive care unit referral decisions by emergency room physicians in patients aged > or =80 yrs...
- Cost-effectiveness of activated protein C in real-life clinical practiceJean Francois Dhainaut
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Port Royal University Hospital, AP HP, Rene Descartes University, Paris 5, Paris, France
Crit Care 11:R99. 2007..We evaluated the cost-effectiveness of rhAPC in patients with severe sepsis and multiple organ failure in real-life intensive care practice...
- Comparison of superior vena cava and femoroiliac vein pressure according to intra-abdominal pressureHafid Ait-Oufella
AP HP, Hopital Saint Antoine, Service de Reanimation Medicale, Paris, 75571 cedex 12, France
Ann Intensive Care 2:21. 2012..abstract:..
- Colorimetric capnography, a new procedure to ensure correct feeding tube placement in the intensive care unit: an evaluation of a local protocolArnaud Galbois
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine AP HP, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571, Paris Cedex 12, France
J Crit Care 26:411-4. 2011....
- Mortality among patients admitted to intensive care units during weekday day shifts compared with "off" hoursCharles Edouard Luyt
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Institut de Cardiologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 35:3-11. 2007....
- Femoral venous catheter: a misleading cause of gas in the liverArnaud Galbois
AP HP, Hopital Saint Antoine, Service de Reanimation Medicale, Inserm UMR_S 938, CdR Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 39:2447-51. 2011....
- Prognosis of patients aged 80 years and over admitted in medical intensive care unitAriane Boumendil
INSERM U444, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184, rue du Fbg Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Intensive Care Med 30:647-54. 2004..To determine the prognostic indicators of long-term survival after admission to a medical intensive care unit (MICU) for patients aged 80 years and over. DESIGN. Prospective cohort study...
- Incidence and impact of organ dysfunctions associated with sepsisBertrand Guidet
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Chest 127:942-51. 2005..To study the incidence and severity of organ dysfunction associated with sepsis...
- How to identify patients with no risk for postextubation stridor?Eric Maury
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Unité INSERM U 444, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
J Crit Care 19:23-8. 2004....
- Prediction of evolution toward brain death upon admission to ICU in comatose patients with spontaneous intracerebral hemorrhage using simple signsArnaud Galbois
AP HP, Hopital Saint Antoine, Service de Reanimation Medicale, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Transpl Int 26:517-26. 2013..Simple signs at ICU admission can predict BD in comatose patients with ICH and could increase the potential for organ donation...
- Treatment intensity and outcome of patients aged 80 and older in intensive care units: a multicenter matched-cohort studyAriane Boumendil
INSERM U444, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, Paris, France
J Am Geriatr Soc 53:88-93. 2005..To determine whether patients aged 80 and older have similar treatment intensity to that of younger patients in the intensive care unit (ICU)...
- Cost-effectiveness of drotrecogin alfa (activated) in the treatment of severe sepsis with multiple organ failureLionel Riou Franca
REES, Paris, France
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 22:101-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to estimate the expected cost and clinical benefits associated with the use of drotrecogin alfa (activated) (Xigris; Eli Lilly and Company; Indianapolis, IN) in the French hospital setting...
- An integrated approach for prescribing fewer chest x-rays in the ICUVincent Ioos
UPMC Univ Paris 06, UMR_S 707, Paris F 75012, France
Ann Intensive Care 1:4. 2011..The combination of the emblematic examples presented in this review supports an integrated global approach for decreasing the number of CXRs ordered in the ICU...
- Continuous insulin administration via complex central venous catheter infusion tubing is another risk factor for blood glucose imbalance. A retrospective studyEric Maury
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, Paris, 75571, France
Ann Intensive Care 2:16. 2012..abstract:..
- Colorimetric capnography to ensure correct nasogastric tube positionPascal Meyer
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 75571 Cedex 12 Paris, France
J Crit Care 24:231-5. 2009..We evaluate a procedure, combining colorimetric capnography with epigastric auscultation, to ensure nasogastric (NG) feeding tube correct position without any radiograph...
- Renal cortical necrosis related to paraneoplastic antiphospholipid syndromeCecile Vigneau
Intensive Care Unit, St Antoine Hospital, Paris, France
Am J Kidney Dis 47:1072-4. 2006..This case describes the first association of antiphospholipid syndrome to epidermoid lung cancer, shown by cortical bilateral necrosis. It also emphasizes the utility of renal biopsy in case of an unusual acute renal failure...
- Pleural ultrasound compared with chest radiographic detection of pneumothorax resolution after drainageArnaud Galbois
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, AP HP, Paris, France
Chest 138:648-55. 2010..The aim of this prospective double-blind observational study was to assess PU accuracy during pneumothorax follow-up after drainage...
- Impact of case volume on survival of septic shock in patients with malignanciesBenjamin Zuber
Réanimation Médicale, Hopital Cochin, Réanimation Médicale, AP HP, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 40:55-62. 2012..In a large multicenter cohort of septic shock patients with hematologic malignancies and solid tumors, we assessed the temporal trend in survival and the prognostic factors, with particular emphasis on case volume...
- Current epidemiology of septic shock: the CUB-Réa NetworkDjillali Annane
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Raymond Poincare, Faculte de Medecine Paris Ile de France Ouest, Université de Versaille Saint Quentinen Yvelinnes, 104, Boulevard Raymond Poincare, 92380 Garches, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 168:165-72. 2003..The frequency of septic shock is increasing with more multiresistant strains. Its crude mortality rate is decreasing, but patients with septic shock still have a high excess risk of death than critically ill patients who are nonseptic...
- Results of short-term training of naïve physicians in focused general ultrasonography in an intensive-care unitLudivine Chalumeau-Lemoine
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 35:1767-71. 2009..To evaluate limited training of ICU physicians without knowledge of ultrasound in performing basic general ultrasonography...
- Sonography as an alternative to radiography for nasogastric feeding tube locationCecile Vigneau
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571, Paris Cedex 12, France
Intensive Care Med 31:1570-2. 2005..To evaluate bedside sonographic confirmation of weighted-tip nasogastric feeding tube position, by comparison to radiography...
- 'Indolent' Waldenstrom's macroglobulinemia and a cerebrospinal fluid protein level of 16 g/LLaurent Garderet
Department of Hematology, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Eur J Haematol 77:80-2. 2006..Very rarely, it is due to a central nervous system localization, the so-called Bing Neel Syndrome. We report a patient with an 'indolent' systemic disease and surprisingly a concomitant major CNS involvement...
- Variability of intensive care admission decisions for the very elderlyAriane Boumendil
Unité de Recherche en Épidémiologie Systèmes d Information et Modélisation U707, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 7:e34387. 2012..In France, the likelihood that a very elderly person will be admitted to an ICU varies widely from one hospital to another. Influence of intensive care admission on patients' outcome remains unclear...
- Predictive features of severe acquired ADAMTS13 deficiency in idiopathic thrombotic microangiopathies: the French TMA reference center experiencePaul Coppo
Service d Hématologie et de Thérapie Cellulaire, AP HP, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 5:e10208. 2010..3%, sensitivity of 98.8%, and specificity of 48.1%. Our criteria should be useful to identify rapidly newly diagnosed patients with an acquired ADAMTS13 deficiency to better tailor treatment for different pathophysiological groups...
- Early corticosteroids in severe influenza A/H1N1 pneumonia and acute respiratory distress syndromeChristian Brun-Buisson
Université Paris Est Créteil and INSERM U955, Creteil, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 183:1200-6. 2011..Despite their controversial role, corticosteroids are often administered to patients with adult respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) secondary to viral pneumonia...
- The 2003 heat wave in France: hydratation status changes in older inpatientsAdrien Kettaneh
Department of Internal Medicine, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 184 rue du Fbg Saint Antoine, 75571, Paris Cedex 12, France
Eur J Epidemiol 25:517-24. 2010..27) than in 2000-2002 (HR 1.64) or 2004-2006 (HR 1.77) (P = 0.04). So, since the 2003 heat wave, significant shifts in prevalence of intracellular hydration disorders indicate behavioral changes with positive impact on hydration status...
- Circulating endotoxin and antiendotoxin antibodies during severe sepsis and septic shockEric Maury
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Unité INSERM U 444, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
J Crit Care 18:115-20. 2003..This increase in IgM antibody levels could be attributed to a reactivation of the immune system...
- A web-based Delphi study on the indications of chest radiographs for patients in ICUsGilles Hejblum
U707, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Chest 133:1107-12. 2008..The opinions of intensivists about ordering CXRs have not been reported. Comparing these opinions to established guidelines and identifying situations where opinions diverge in the absence of guidelines are of considerable interest...
- Influence of ICU case-volume on the management and hospital outcomes of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease*Martin Dres
Service de Pneumologie et Soins Intensifs Respiratoires, groupe hospitalier Cochin Broca, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, University Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 41:1884-92. 2013..To study the relationship between case-volume and the use of noninvasive ventilation during acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in ICUs...
- Variation in natriuretic peptides and mitral flow indexes during successful ventilatory weaning: a preliminary studyHafid Ait-Oufella
Réanimation Médicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571, and Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris Cedex 12, France
Intensive Care Med 33:1183-6. 2007..To assess the cardiac consequences of successful respiratory weaning using the variations of circulating B-type and atrial natriuretic peptides (BNP, ANP) and Doppler mitral flow...
- Systemic candidiasis in intensive care units: a multicenter, matched-cohort studyGhislaine Leleu
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Hopital Saint Louis, Vellefaux, Paris, France
J Crit Care 17:168-75. 2002..To determine the impact of systemic candidiasis on the mortality and length of hospital stay of intensive care unit (ICU) patients and the associated workload...
- Biopsy-proven anuric acute tubular necrosis associated with vancomycin and one dose of aminosideHarry Sokol
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital St Antoine, Paris
Nephrol Dial Transplant 19:1921-2. 2004
- Should elderly patients be admitted to the intensive care unit?Ariane Boumendil
Faculté de médecine St Antoine, INSERM, U707, 27 rue de Chaligny, 75012, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 33:1252-62. 2007..This justifies further studies that encompass several aspects, such as the initial triage process and the long-term prognosis (mortality, autonomy and quality of life)...
- The challenge of admitting the very elderly to intensive careYên Lan Nguyen
Centre d Epidemiologie Clinique, Hopital Hotel Dieu, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Ann Intensive Care 1:29. 2011....
- Human immunodeficiency virus-associated thrombotic microangiopathies: clinical characteristics and outcome according to ADAMTS13 activityS Malak
Service d Hématologie et de Thérapie Cellulaire, AP HP, Hôpital Saint Antoine and UPMC Université Paris 06, Paris, France
Scand J Immunol 68:337-44. 2008..04). In conclusion, HIV-associated TMA with severe ADAMTS13 deficiency have less AIDS-related complications and a higher CD4(+) T cell count. TMA prognosis is better and comparable to this of idiopathic forms...
- Osmolar gap hyponatremia in critically ill patients: evidence for the sick cell syndrome?Jean Guglielminotti
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 30:1051-5. 2002....
- Prophylactic low-molecular-weight heparin: prescription practice in an intensive care unitPatrick Tilleul
APHP Pharmacie, Hopital Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris cx 12, France
J Crit Care 21:173-8. 2006..The aim of this study was to review the use of low-molecular-weight heparin (LMWH) in a medical intensive care unit...
- SAPS II revisitedPhilippe Aegerter
Department of Biostatistics, Hopital Ambroise Pare, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Boulogne, France
Intensive Care Med 31:416-23. 2005..To construct and validate an update of the Simplified Acute Physiology Score II (SAPS II) for the evaluation of clinical performance of Intensive Care Units (ICU)...
- Culture, organization, and management in intensive care: construction and validation of a multidimensional questionnaireEtienne Minvielle
Center for Health Economics and Administration Research INSERM U 537 CNRS Esa 8052, Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
J Crit Care 20:126-38. 2005..The objective of this study is to develop and validate a questionnaire designed to assess the culture, organization, and management of intensive care units...
- Elderly patients and intensive care medicineAriane Boumendil
Intensive Care Med 32:965-7. 2006
- Patient safety in intensive care: results from the multinational Sentinel Events Evaluation (SEE) studyAndreas Valentin
KA Rudolfstiftung, II Medical Department, Juchgasse 25, 1030 Vienna, Austria
Intensive Care Med 32:1591-8. 2006..To assess on a multinational level the prevalence and corresponding factors of selected unintended events that compromise patient safety (sentinel events) in intensive care units (ICUs)...
- Assessing medical students' clinical sciences knowledge in France: a collaboration between the NBME and a consortium of French medical schoolsAndre F De Champlain
National Board of Medical Examiners, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Acad Med 78:509-17. 2003..The purpose of this study was to develop a French multiple-choice (MC) examination using the National Board of Medical Examiners' (NBME) expertise and materials...
- An unusual cause of renal failure in a liver transplant recipientElodie Mazoyer
J Crit Care 19:198. 2004
- [Transposition of an American-designed comprehensive medical student examination within the framework of the forthcoming French nationwide comprehensive examination. A preliminary study]Jean Paul Fournier
Faculté de Médecine de Nice Sophia Antipolis, France
Ann Med Interne (Paris) 154:148-56. 2003..If these preliminary results are replicated, the MCQ format might be a more defendable and sensible alternative to the proposed essay questions...
- Assessing organizational performance in intensive care units: a French experienceEtienne Minvielle
Centre for Medical Research, Medicine, Health and Society INSERM U750 CNRS 8169, 94276 Le Kremlin Bicetre Cedex, France
J Crit Care 23:236-44. 2008..The objective of the study was to assess and to explain variation of organizational performance in intensive care units (ICUs)...