- A new method for locating changes in a tree reveals distinct nucleotide polymorphism vs. divergence patterns in mouse mitochondrial control regionN Galtier
CNRS UMR Génome, Populations, Interactions, Universite Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France
J Mol Evol 50:224-31. 2000..Distinct change patterns were found at the polymorphism (within species) and divergence (between species) levels, rejecting the hypothesis of a neutral evolution of base composition in mitochondrial DNA...
- Detecting bottlenecks and selective sweeps from DNA sequence polymorphismN Galtier
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Genetics 155:981-7. 2000..An application to sequence data from an African population of Drosophila melanogaster shows that the bottleneck hypothesis is unlikely and that one or several selective sweeps probably occurred in the recent history of this population...
- Maximum-likelihood phylogenetic analysis under a covarion-like modelN Galtier
Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique UMR 5000 Génome, Populations, Interactions, Universite Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France
Mol Biol Evol 18:866-73. 2001..This theoretical effort should be useful for the study of protein adaptation, which presumably proceeds in a typical covarion-like manner...
- The evolutionary fate of recently duplicated retrogenes in miceP Gayral
CNRS UMR Génome, Populations, Interactions, Adaptation, Universite Montpellier, Montpellier, France
J Evol Biol 20:617-26. 2007..Purifying selection prevents them from acquiring a negative role until they are lost or silenced. This period of unnecessary redundancy could in rare cases give the time for new functions to evolve...
- The determinants of the molecular substitution process in turtlesJ M Lourenço
Institut des Sciences de l Evolution, Universite Montpellier 2, Montpellier Cedex, France
J Evol Biol 26:38-50. 2013..These results question the generality of the relationships reported in mammals and birds and suggest that environmental factors might be the strongest determinants of the mutation rate in ectotherms...
- Molecular evolution of plant haemoglobin: two haemoglobin genes in Nymphaeaceae Euryale feroxE Guldner
CNRS UMR 5000 Génome, Populations, Interactions, Universite Montpellier, Montpellier, France
J Evol Biol 17:48-54. 2004..This suggests that a change in the selective forces applying to plant haemoglobins has occurred during the evolutionary history of this gene family, potentially in relation with the evolution of symbiosis...
- Markov-modulated Markov chains and the covarion process of molecular evolutionN Galtier
CNRS UMR 5171 GPIA, Université Montpellier 2 CC 63, Place E Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier, France
J Comput Biol 11:727-33. 2004..We show that a relatively large number of classes is required to achieve accurate approximation of the exact likelihood when the number of analyzed sequences exceeds 20, both under the SSRV and among site rate variation (ASRV) models...
- Genomic evidence for large, long-lived ancestors to placental mammalsJ Romiguier
CNRS, Universite Montpellier 2, UMR 5554, ISEM, Montpellier, France
Mol Biol Evol 30:5-13. 2013..Our results imply that long-lived mammals existed in the Cretaceous era and were the most successful in evolution, opening new perspectives about the conditions for survival to the Cretaceous-Tertiary crisis...
- Reference-free transcriptome assembly in non-model animals from next-generation sequencing dataV Cahais
CNRS UMR 5554, Institut des Sciences de l Evolution de Montpellier, Universite Montpellier 2, Place E Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier, France
Mol Ecol Resour 12:834-45. 2012..A Galaxy pipeline implementing our best-performing assembling strategy is provided...
- Coevolution within and between genesN Galtier
Universite Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France
Genome Dyn 3:1-12. 2007..The reasons for this discrepancy are discussed...
- Mitochondrial DNA as a marker of molecular diversity: a reappraisalN Galtier
Institut des Sciences de l Evolution, Universite Montpellier 2, C N R S UMR 5554, Place E Bataillon, CC 64, 34195 Montpellier, France
Mol Ecol 18:4541-50. 2009..We critically evaluate the usage of mitochondrial DNA for species delineation and identification. Finally, we note the great potential of accumulating mtDNA data for evolutionary and functional analysis of the mitochondrial genome...
- Mouse biodiversity in the genomic eraN Galtier
UMR 5171 Genome, Populations, Interactions, Adaptation, Universite Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France
Cytogenet Genome Res 105:385-94. 2004....
- Mitochondrial DNA as a tool for reconstructing past life-history traits in mammalsE Figuet
UMR 5554, ISEM, CNRS, Universite Montpellier 2, Montpellier, France
J Evol Biol 27:899-910. 2014..This finding is in accordance with Cope's rule and the fossil record but could not be recovered via continuous character evolution methods...
- BAOBAB: a Java editor for large phylogenetic treesJ Dutheil
CNRS UMR 5000 Génome, Populations, Interactions, Université Montpellier 2 CC 63, Place E Bataillon, France
Bioinformatics 18:892-3. 2002....
- Molecular phylogeny of Cyprinidae inferred from cytochrome b DNA sequencesJ Briolay
Centre d Analyse Moléculaire de la Biodiversité, Université C Bernard Lyon 1, Villeurbanne, France
Mol Phylogenet Evol 9:100-8. 1998..This is the first molecularly based study of cyprinid diversity. It sheds light on the evolution and taxonomy of this major freshwater fish family...