Genomes and Genes
- Sterol-regulatory-element-binding protein 1c mediates insulin action on hepatic gene expressionP Ferre
INSERM Unit 465, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, Universite Paris VI, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270, Paris Cedex 06, France
Biochem Soc Trans 29:547-52. 2001..Here we review the evidence that has led to this proposal and the consequences for our understanding of insulin effects in physiological or pathological conditions...
- [Action and secretion of insulin: a dual role for potassium channels]Pascal Ferre
INSERM U 671, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Med Sci (Paris) 21:694-6. 2005
- [Adiponectin: from adipocyte to skeletal muscle]P Ferre
INSERM U465, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, F 75270 Paris Cedex 06
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 65:S36-43. 2004..Recent works and the links between insulin resistance, adipose tIssue, adiponectin and its PPARgamma-enhanced secretion are reviewed in this paper...
- The biology of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptors: relationship with lipid metabolism and insulin sensitivityPascal Ferre
INSERM Unit 465, Cordeliers Biomedical Research Center, Paris, France
Diabetes 53:S43-50. 2004..The PPARs are thus major regulators of lipid and glucose metabolism, allowing adaptation to the prevailing nutritional environment...
- SREBP-1c transcription factor and lipid homeostasis: clinical perspectiveP Ferre
INSERM, UMR S 671, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Horm Res 68:72-82. 2007....
- AMP-activated protein kinase and hepatic genes involved in glucose metabolismP Ferre
INSERM Unit 465, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Biochem Soc Trans 31:220-3. 2003..Clearly, the long-term consequences of AMP-activated protein kinase activation have to be taken into account if activators of this enzyme are to be designed as anti-diabetic drugs...
- Insulin and angiotensin II induce the translocation of scavenger receptor class B, type I from intracellular sites to the plasma membrane of adipocytesAnne Laure Tondu
INSERM U671, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Institut Biomedical des Cordeliers, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 280:33536-40. 2005..This suggests that SR-BI might participate in the storage of lipids in the adipose tissue...
- In vivo evidence for a role of adipose tissue SR-BI in the nutritional and hormonal regulation of adiposity and cholesterol homeostasisLaurent Yvan-Charvet
INSERM, U671, Centre Biomédical des Cordeliers, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 27:1340-5. 2007..This study examines the role of insulin and angiotensin II in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) metabolism by focusing on the regulation and function of scavenger receptor type-BI (SR-BI) in adipose tissue...
- Distinct roles of insulin and liver X receptor in the induction and cleavage of sterol regulatory element-binding protein-1cBronwyn D Hegarty
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale Unit 465, Universite Paris 6, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:791-6. 2005..Finally, we show through experiments in suckling mice that this acute action of insulin to stimulate the proteolytic processing of SREBP-1c is functional in vivo...
- GRP78 expression inhibits insulin and ER stress-induced SREBP-1c activation and reduces hepatic steatosis in miceHélène L Kammoun
INSERM, UMR S, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Paris, France
J Clin Invest 119:1201-15. 2009..These findings demonstrate that GRP78 inhibits both insulin-dependent and ER stress-dependent SREBP-1c proteolytic cleavage and explain the role of ER stress in hepatic steatosis in obese rodents...
- SREBP transcription factors: master regulators of lipid homeostasisDelphine Eberle
INSERM U465, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Biochimie 86:839-48. 2004....
- Anti-lipolytic action of AMP-activated protein kinase in rodent adipocytesMarie Daval
INSERM U671, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
J Biol Chem 280:25250-7. 2005..We conclude that, in mature adipocytes, AMP-activated protein kinase activation has a clear anti-lipolytic effect...
- Adipose tissue-specific increase in angiotensinogen expression and secretion in the obese (fa/fa) Zucker ratIsabelle Hainault
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale U 465, Centre Biomédical des Cordeliers, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 282:E59-66. 2002..Our results demonstrate that the fa genotype exerts a control on the production of AGT in a tissue-specific manner, suggesting a local role of AGT in the overdevelopment of adipose tissue...
- Sterol regulatory element binding protein-1c expression and action in rat muscles: insulin-like effects on the control of glycolytic and lipogenic enzymes and UCP3 gene expressionIsabelle Guillet-Deniau
UPR 1524 CNRS, Institut Cochin de Genetique Moleculaire, Paris, France
Diabetes 51:1722-8. 2002..We conclude that in skeletal muscles, SREBP-1c expression is sensitive to insulin and can transduce the positive and negative actions of the hormone on specific genes and thus has a pivotal role in long-term muscle insulin sensitivity...
- New perspectives in the regulation of hepatic glycolytic and lipogenic genes by insulin and glucose: a role for the transcription factor sterol regulatory element binding protein-1cFabienne Foufelle
INSERM Unit 465, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Biochem J 366:377-91. 2002..We discuss how these transcription factors are integrated in a regulatory network that allows a fine tuning of hepatic glucose storage or production, and their potential importance in metabolic diseases...
- Role of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase in the control of energy homeostasisFabienne Foufelle
INSERM Unit 671, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Centre de Recherches Biomedicales des Cordeliers, Paris, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8:355-60. 2005..This review will evaluate recent findings in terms of the importance of adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase as a potential target for the treatment of diseases such as obesity and type 2 diabetes...
- Differential regulation of sterol regulatory element-binding protein 1c transcriptional activity by insulin and liver X receptor during liver developmentAlexandre Bobard
INSERM U465, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
J Biol Chem 280:199-206. 2005..This could be due to the concomitant induction of INSIG-2a by LXR and subsequent retention of SREBP-1c in the endoplasmic reticulum...
- Plasma membrane subdomain compartmentalization contributes to distinct mechanisms of ceramide action on insulin signalingCédric M Blouin
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, INSERM, UMR S 872, Paris, France
Diabetes 59:600-10. 2010..We hypothesized that ceramide action through PKCzeta or PP2A might depend on plasma membrane (PM) structural organization and especially on caveolin-enriched domain (CEM) abundance...
- Prevention of adipose tissue depletion during food deprivation in angiotensin type 2 receptor-deficient miceLaurent Yvan-Charvet
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Unité 671, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
Endocrinology 147:5078-86. 2006..These data reveal an important physiological role of AT2R in metabolic adaptations to fasting...
- Deletion of the angiotensin type 2 receptor (AT2R) reduces adipose cell size and protects from diet-induced obesity and insulin resistanceLaurent Yvan-Charvet
Unit 465, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Paris, France
Diabetes 54:991-9. 2005..These data support the idea that AT2R-dependent Ang II signaling increases adipose cell mass and glucose intolerance and thus could participate to the deleterious effects of a high-fat diet...
- [AMPK, an active player in the control of metabolism]Marie Daval
INSERM U671, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Centre Biomédical des Cordeliers, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris 06
J Soc Biol 200:99-105. 2006..AMPK provides therefore a potential target for the treatment of metabolic diseases such as obesity and type II diabetes...
- SREBF-1 gene polymorphisms are associated with obesity and type 2 diabetes in French obese and diabetic cohortsDelphine Eberle
INSERM Unit 465, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Diabetes 53:2153-7. 2004..03) and increased prevalence of nephropathy (P = 0.028) in a diabetic cohort. Our results indicate a role of the SREBF-1 gene in genetic predisposition of metabolic diseases such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and dyslipidemia...
- HDL-mediated cholesterol uptake and targeting to lipid droplets in adipocytesGeorges Dagher
INSERM Unité 465, Centre de Recherche Biomédicales des Cordeliers Université Paris 6, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75270 Paris Cedex 06, France
J Lipid Res 44:1811-20. 2003....
- Glucose 6-phosphate, rather than xylulose 5-phosphate, is required for the activation of ChREBP in response to glucose in the liverRenaud Dentin
INSERM, U1016, Paris, France
J Hepatol 56:199-209. 2012..Indeed, the current model of ChREBP activation, which depends on Serine 196 and Threonine 666 dephosphorylation, phosphatase 2A (PP2A) activity, and xylulose 5-phosphate (X5P) as a signaling metabolite, has been challenged...
- Nutritional related liver disease: targeting the endoplasmic reticulum stressHélène L Kammoun
INSERM, UMR S 872, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers and Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris6, UMR S 872, 75006 Paris, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 12:575-82. 2009..This review will evaluate the late discoveries highlighting ER stress as a major actor in the development of nutritional liver diseases...
- Distinct roles of endothelial and adipocyte caveolin-1 in macrophage infiltration and adipose tissue metabolic activityNolwenn Briand
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, INSERM, U872, Paris, France
Diabetes 60:448-53. 2011..The goal of this study was to establish the relative contribution of endothelial cells and adipocytes, both highly expressing caveolin-1 to the lipoatrophic phenotype of mice with global caveolin-1 gene invalidation (Cav1-KO)...
- Regulation of ABCA1 expression and cholesterol efflux during adipose differentiation of 3T3-L1 cellsSoazig Le Lay
INSERM U465, Institut Biomedical des Cordeliers, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
J Lipid Res 44:1499-507. 2003..This is consistent with the view of the adipocyte behaving as a cholesterol sink, with plasma cholesterol-buffering properties...
- Lipid droplet analysis in caveolin-deficient adipocytes: alterations in surface phospholipid composition and maturation defectsCédric M Blouin
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, INSERM, U872, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, France
J Lipid Res 51:945-56. 2010..Altogether, these data demonstrate that the lipid droplet-caveolin pool impacts on phospholipid and protein surface composition of lipid droplets and suggest a functional role on lipid droplet expandability...
- [Vitamin A, in the eye of the fat]Isabelle Dugail
INSERM, U872, Paris, F 75006 France
Med Sci (Paris) 23:1036-8. 2007
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress: a new actor in the development of hepatic steatosisMélissa Flamment
INSERM UMR S 872, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers and Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
Curr Opin Lipidol 21:239-46. 2010..To examine the role of endoplasmic reticulum stress in the regulation of hepatic lipid metabolism and its contribution to the development of hepatic steatosis...
- Fetal PGC-1α overexpression programs adult pancreatic β-cell dysfunctionBérengère Valtat
INSERM, UMRS 872, Cordeliers Research Center, Paris, France
Diabetes 62:1206-16. 2013..Altogether, our results demonstrate that the GR and PGC-1α participate in the fetal programming of adult β-cell function through inhibition of Pdx1 expression...
- PPARγ contributes to PKM2 and HK2 expression in fatty liverGanna Panasyuk
INSERM, U845, Paris 75015, France
Nat Commun 3:672. 2012....
- [Unfolded protein response: its role in physiology and physiopathology]Fabienne Foufelle
INSERM U671, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, UMR S671, Centre Biomédical des Cordeliers, France
Med Sci (Paris) 23:291-6. 2007....
- Genetics and the pathophysiology of obesityKarine Clement
INSERM Avenir, EA 3502 Paris 6 University and Service de Nutrition, AP HP, Hotel Dieu, Paris, France
Pediatr Res 53:721-5. 2003..When specific pharmacological treatments based on recent discoveries become available, however, genetic testing could help discriminate between the subtypes of obesity that may respond differentially to treatment...
- New insights into ER stress-induced insulin resistanceMélissa Flamment
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale INSERM, Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, Unité Mixte de Recherche en Santé UMR S 872, Paris, F 75006 France
Trends Endocrinol Metab 23:381-90. 2012..This review aims to summarize and decipher the abundant new literature concerning the emerging and multifaceted involvement of ER stress in the development of metabolic dysfunctions in insulin target tissues...
- [Insulin signaling and insulin resistance]Pascal Ferre
INSERM, UMR S 872, Centre de Recherches des Cordeliers, Paris, France Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, UMR S 872, Paris, France
Therapie 62:277-84. 2007..Therapies aimed at improving insulin sensitivity could then target proteins involved in the regulation of intacellular fatty acid availibility...
- Specific increase in leptin production in obese (falfa) rat adipose cellsSophie Turban
U 465 INSERM, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Biochem J 362:113-8. 2002..Increased leptin production might be related to disruption of leptin signalling by the fa mutation...
- A New Role for a Metabolic Star: AMP-Activated Protein Kinase Stimulates Fat AbsorptionPascal Ferre
INSERM, Centre de Recherches des Cordeliers, UMR S 872, 75006 Paris, France Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris6, UMR S 872, 75006 Paris, France
Cell Metab 13:1-2. 2011..AMPK enhances the expression of the bile acid transporter, BSEP, by activating the coactivator SRC-2, thus promoting bile acid secretion...
- Novel insights in the interplay between inflammation and metabolic diseases: A role for the pathogen sensing kinase PKRNicolas Marsollier
INSERM UMR S 872, Centre de Recherches des Cordeliers, Paris, France Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, UMR S, 872 Paris, France
J Hepatol 54:1307-9. 2011..These findings demonstrate PKR as a critical component of an inflammatory complex that responds to nutrients and organelle dysfunction...
- Biguanides and thiazolidinediones inhibit stimulated lipolysis in human adipocytes through activation of AMP-activated protein kinaseO Bourron
Centre de Recherche des Cordeliers, INSERM, UMR S 872, 15 rue de l Ecole de Medecine, Paris F 75006, France
Diabetologia 53:768-78. 2010..As the hypoglycaemic drugs metformin and thiazolidinediones activate this enzyme in rodents, we tested the hypothesis that in addition to their known actions they could have an anti-lipolytic effect in human adipocytes...