David S Fedson
- Commentary: From scarcity to abundance: pandemic vaccines and other agents for "have not" countriesDavid S Fedson
University College London, UK
J Public Health Policy 28:322-40. 2007..The "have not" countries must continue to put pressure on WHO and leading countries to ensure that they will have access to the interventions they will need...
- Treating influenza with statins and other immunomodulatory agentsDavid S Fedson
57, chemin du Lavoir, 01630 Sergy Haut, France Electronic address
Antiviral Res 99:417-35. 2013..Treatment with statins and other immunomodulatory agents represents a new approach to reducing mortality caused by seasonal and pandemic influenza...
- How to optimise the coverage rate of infant and adult immunisations in EuropeHeinz J Schmitt
Infectious Diseases Service at the Zentrum für Präventive Pädiatrie, Johannes Gutenberg Universitat, Mainz, Germany
BMC Med 5:11. 2007..Although vaccination has been proved to be a safe, efficacious, and cost-effective intervention, immunisation rates remain suboptimal in many European countries, resulting in poor control of many vaccine-preventable diseases...
- Vaccine development for an imminent pandemic: why we should worry, what we must doDavid S Fedson
Hum Vaccin 2:38-42. 2006..Vaccination for an imminent pandemic requires a global perspective not only for vaccine development but also for vaccine production and distribution...
- Confronting an influenza pandemic with inexpensive generic agents: can it be done?David S Fedson
Lancet Infect Dis 8:571-6. 2008....
- NEW technologies for meeting the global demand for pandemic influenza vaccinesDavid S Fedson
Biologicals 36:346-9. 2008..These technologies could help meet the global demand for pandemic vaccines, but only if they are coupled with improvements in the human infrastructure necessary for pandemic vaccination...
- Meeting the challenge of influenza pandemic preparedness in developing countriesDavid S Fedson
Emerg Infect Dis 15:365-71. 2009..Without this research, industrialized and developing countries could face an unprecedented health crisis...
- Confronting the next influenza pandemic with anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory agents: why they are needed and how they might workDavid S Fedson
Influenza Other Respir Viruses 3:129-42. 2009..Research is urgently needed to determine whether these and other agents that modify the host response might be useful in managing H5N1 influenza and the next pandemic...
- Pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccination for adults: new perspectives for EuropeDavid S Fedson
57 Chemin du Lavoir, 01630 Sergy Haut, France
Expert Rev Vaccines 10:1143-67. 2011....
- Pandemic influenza: a potential role for statins in treatment and prophylaxisDavid S Fedson
Clin Infect Dis 43:199-205. 2006..Generic statins will be widely distributed and inexpensive. They might be the only agents that could alter the course of a global pandemic...
- Preparing for pandemic vaccination: an international policy agenda for vaccine developmentDavid S Fedson
J Public Health Policy 26:4-29. 2005..Whether this international policy agenda for pandemic vaccine development will succeed is uncertain, but it will provide a good indication of whether "good governance" for global public health can be achieved...
- Efficacy of polysaccharide pneumococcal vaccine in adults in more developed countries: another view of the evidenceDavid S Fedson
Lancet Infect Dis 3:272-3; discussion 273-4. 2003
- Pandemic influenza and the global vaccine supplyDavid S Fedson
Clin Infect Dis 36:1552-61. 2003....
- Precise answers to the wrong question: prospective clinical trials and the meta-analyses of pneumococcal vaccine in elderly and high-risk adultsDavid S Fedson
Aventis Pasteur MSD, Lyon, France
Vaccine 22:927-46. 2004..This evidence is sufficient to justify wider use of pneumococcal vaccine...
- Vaccination for pandemic influenza and severe acute respiratory syndrome: common issues and concernsDavid S Fedson
Clin Infect Dis 36:1562-3. 2003
- Pneumococcal vaccination in older adultsDavid S Fedson
N Engl J Med 349:712-4; author reply 712-4. 2003
- Vaccination for pandemic influenza: a six point agenda for interpandemic yearsDavid S Fedson
Pasteur Merieux MSD, Sergy Haut, France
Pediatr Infect Dis J 23:S74-7. 2004..However, because most influenza vaccine (85%) is produced in only eight countries, adequate production and equitable distribution of vaccine throughout the world will pose a serious challenge when the next influenza pandemic appears...
- Interview with David S. Fedson, MD, Former Professor of Medicine, University of Virginia School of Medicine, and Director of Medical Affairs, Aventis Pasteur MSD by Madeline DrexlerDavid S Fedson
Biosecur Bioterror 3:9-15. 2005
- Influenza vaccination: policy versus evidence: no gap between policy and evidenceDavid S Fedson
BMJ 333:1020. 2006
- Influenza and the winter increase in mortality in the United States, 1959-1999Thomas A Reichert
Entropy Research Institute, 262 West Saddle River Road, Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458, USA
Am J Epidemiol 160:492-502. 2004..Weather and other factors may determine the timing and modulate the magnitude of the winter-season increase in mortality, but the primary determinant appears to be the influenza virus...
- Statins and the risk of pneumonia: a population-based, nested case-control studyRaymond G Schlienger
Basel Pharmacoepidemiology Unit, Division of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University Hospital Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Pharmacotherapy 27:325-32. 2007..To determine if the use of statins affects pneumonia-related outpatient visits, hospitalizations with survival, and deaths...
- The conjugate vaccine and invasive pneumococcal diseaseDavid S Fedson
N Engl J Med 349:714-6; author reply 714-6. 2003
- Effectiveness of pneumococcal vaccination for elderly people in Catalonia, Spain: a case-control studyAngela Dominguez
Department of Health, Generalitat of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 40:1250-7. 2005..We evaluated the effectiveness of a 23-valent pneumococcal vaccination program for elderly people in Catalonia, Spain, in a matched-set case-control study...
- Statin protection against influenza and COPD mortalityDavid S Fedson
Chest 132:1406; author reply 1406-7. 2007