Affiliation: European Synchrotron Radiation Facility
- Quantitative comparison of direct phase retrieval algorithms in in-line phase tomographyMax Langer
CREATIS LRMN INSERM U630, F 69621, Lyon, France
Med Phys 35:4556-66. 2008..The algorithms are evaluated in terms of two different reconstruction error metrics. While being slightly less computationally effective, the mixed approach shows the best performance in terms of the chosen criteria...
- Regularization of phase retrieval with phase-attenuation duality prior for 3-D holotomographyMax Langer
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France
IEEE Trans Image Process 19:2428-36. 2010..Low frequency noise in the reconstruction is alleviated, but the result is only quantitative in the areas of the sample where the homogeneous object assumption is fulfilled...
- X-ray in-line phase tomography of multimaterial objectsMax Langer
Universite de Lyon, Creatis CNRS UMR 5220, INSERM U 1022, Universite Lyon 1, INSA Lyon, 7 avenue Jean Capelle, 69621 Villeurbanne, France
Opt Lett 37:2151-3. 2012..The method is applied to the reconstruction of an object of known composition consisting of both soft and hard materials and is shown to perform better than previously proposed algorithms...
- X-ray phase nanotomography resolves the 3D human bone ultrastructureMax Langer
CREATIS, Universite de Lyon, CNRS UMR5220, INSERM U1044, INSA Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, Lyon, France
PLoS ONE 7:e35691. 2012..Nanoscale density variations are revealed and show that the cement line separating these tissues is hypermineralized. Finally, we show that the collagen fibers are organized as a twisted plywood structure in 3D...
- Regularized phase tomography enables study of mineralized and unmineralized tissue in porous bone scaffoldM Langer
ESRF, 6 rue Jules Horowitz, F 38043 Grenoble Cedex, France
J Microsc 238:230-9. 2010..Indications of the effect of this type of culture on Skelite, such as change in mineralization and deposit of mature bone on the walls of the scaffold, are found. The results are verified with a histological study...
- Quantitative investigation of bone microvascularization from 3D synchrotron micro-computed tomography in a rat modelMax Langer
Creatis LRMN, CNRS UMR 5220, France
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2009:1004-7. 2009..It was further revealed that treatment with PTH significantly increased average vessel thickness...
- Fourier-wavelet regularization of phase retrieval in x-ray in-line phase tomographyMax Langer
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble Cedex France
J Opt Soc Am A Opt Image Sci Vis 26:1876-81. 2009....
- Canalicular network morphology is the major determinant of the spatial distribution of mass density in human bone tissue: evidence by means of synchrotron radiation phase-contrast nano-CTBernhard Hesse
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France Berlin Brandenburg School for Regenerative Therapies and Julius Wolff Institute, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Bone Miner Res 30:346-56. 2015..In addition, we speculate that mineral exchange occurs at all interfaces of the LCN, not only in mineralization but also in mineral homeostasis...
- Accessing osteocyte lacunar geometrical properties in human jaw bone on the submicron length scale using synchrotron radiation μCTBernhard Hesse
Berlin Brandenburg School for Regenerative Therapies and Julius Wolff Institut, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France
J Microsc 255:158-68. 2014..In contrast to lacunar morphology we report the lacunar density (16,000-50,000 per mm(3)) to be different in jaw bone tissue compared to what has been reported in femoral sites...
- Priors for X-ray in-line phase tomography of heterogeneous objectsMax Langer
Universite de Lyon, Creatis CNRS UMR 5220 INSERM U 1022 Université Lyon 1, INSA Lyon 7 avenue Jean Capelle, 69621 Villeurbanne, France
Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci 372:20130129. 2014..We believe that the proposed method will find application in biomedical imaging problems where the object is strongly heterogeneous, such as bone healing and biomaterials engineering. ..
- Alterations of mass density and 3D osteocyte lacunar properties in bisphosphonate-related osteonecrotic human jaw bone, a synchrotron µCT studyBernhard Hesse
European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, Grenoble, France Berlin Brandenburg School for Regenerative Therapies and Julius Wolff Institut, Charite, Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Germany
PLoS ONE 9:e88481. 2014..We found a significant decrease in osteocyte-lacunar density in the BRONJ group compared to the control jaw. Interestingly, the osteocyte-lacunar volume distribution was not altered after BP treatment. ..
- Nonlinear approaches for the single-distance phase retrieval problem involving regularizations with sparsity constraintsValentina Davidoiu
Universite de Lyon, CREATIS, CNRS UMR5220, INSERM U1044, INSA Lyon, Universite Lyon 1, Lyon, France
Appl Opt 52:3977-86. 2013..The reconstruction errors are significantly decreased with respect to the ones given by the classical linear phase retrieval approaches...
- Micro- and Nano-CT for the Study of Bone UltrastructureFrancoise Peyrin
INSERM U1044, CREATIS, 69621, Villeurbanne, France
Curr Osteoporos Rep 12:465-74. 2014..We also address the question of the quantification of bone ultrastructure to go beyond the sole visualization. ..
- Nanoscale imaging of the bone cell network with synchrotron X-ray tomography: optimization of acquisition setupAlexandra Pacureanu
Université de Lyon, Université Lyon 1, INSA Lyon, France
Med Phys 39:2229-38. 2012..To this aim, the authors study the feasibility of this technique and present an optimized imaging protocol suited for the bone cell network. Moreover, they demonstrate the multifaceted information provided by this method...
- 3D osteocyte lacunar morphometric properties and distributions in human femoral cortical bone using synchrotron radiation micro-CT imagesPei Dong
CREATIS, CNRS UMR 5220 Inserm U1044 Université de Lyon Université Lyon 1 INSA Lyon, 69621 Villeurbanne, France European Synchrotron Radiation Facility, X ray Imaging Group, 38043 Grenoble, France Electronic address
Bone 60:172-85. 2014....
- Histogram feature-based classification improves differentiability of early bone healing stages from micro-computed tomographic dataBernd Preininger
Julius Wolff Institute and Center for Musculoskeletal Surgery, Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin, Berlin, Germany
J Comput Assist Tomogr 36:469-76. 2012..Contrast between not fully mineralized tissues is weak and limits conventional computed tomography (CT). An automated grayscale histogram-based analysis features could improve the sensitivity to tissue alterations during early bone healing...