Jean Francois Dhainaut
- Dynamic evolution of coagulopathy in the first day of severe sepsis: relationship with mortality and organ failureJean Francois Dhainaut
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Hospital, AP HP, Cochin Institute, Cochin Port Royal Medical School, Paris V University, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 33:341-8. 2005..To determine whether changes in coagulation biomarkers during the first day of severe sepsis correlate with progression from single to multiple organ failure and subsequent death...
- The clinical evaluation committee in a large multicenter phase 3 trial of drotrecogin alfa (activated) in patients with severe sepsis (PROWESS): role, methodology, and resultsJean Francois Dhainaut
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Hospital, Cochin Institute, Cochin Port Royal Medical School, Paris V University, France
Crit Care Med 31:2291-301. 2003..The objective of this study was to perform a blinded, critical, integrated review of data from the 1,690 severe sepsis patients from 164 medical centers enrolled in the PROWESS trial using a Clinical Evaluation Committee...
- Drotrecogin alfa (activated) in the treatment of severe sepsis patients with multiple-organ dysfunction: data from the PROWESS trialJean Francois Dhainaut
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Hospital AP HP, Cochin Institute, Cochin Port Royal Medical School, Paris V University, 27 rue due Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679, Paris Cedex 14, France
Intensive Care Med 29:894-903. 2003..We report study's data on efficacy and safety in patients with multiple-organ dysfunction...
- Soluble thrombomodulin, plasma-derived unactivated protein C, and recombinant human activated protein C in sepsisJean Francois Dhainaut
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cochin St V de Paul Hospital, AP HP, Cochin Institut Cochin Port Royal Medical School, University of Paris V, France
Crit Care Med 30:S318-24. 2002..To review the physiologic and biochemical mechanisms and the rationale for the use of soluble thrombomodulin, plasma-derived protein C, and recombinant human activated protein C in sepsis...
- Protein C/activated protein C pathway: overview of clinical trial results in severe sepsisJean Francois Dhainaut
Intensive Care and Emergency Department, Cochin University Hospital, AP HP, University of Paris 5, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 32:S194-201. 2004..To review the results from clinical trials of treatments for severe sepsis involving the protein C/activated protein C pathway...
- Unprecedented heat-related deaths during the 2003 heat wave in Paris: consequences on emergency departmentsJean Francois Dhainaut
Professor, Emergency and Intensive Care Department, Cochin Port Royal University Hospital, AP HP, University Paris 5, France
Crit Care 8:1-2. 2004..Indeed, simple preventice measures before hospital admissions are only able to reduce mortality which mostly occurred at home and in nursing homes...
- Underlying disorders and their impact on the host response to infectionJean Francois Dhainaut
Intensive Care and Emergency Department, Cochin University Hospital, Rene Descartes University, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 41:S481-9. 2005..Although innate immunity seems not to be actually blunted in patients with underlying disorders, the underlying disorder itself contributes to the severity of the physiological response to sepsis, thereby resulting in a worse outcome...
- Drotrecogin alfa (activated) (recombinant human activated protein C) reduces host coagulopathy response in patients with severe sepsisJean Francois Dhainaut
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Cochin Port Royal, AP HP, Paris V University, Paris, France
Thromb Haemost 90:642-53. 2003..These latter two effects may occur at the local or cellular level. The systemic biomarkers reported here might not be the most appropriate approach to demonstrate these potential effects of drotrecogin alfa (activated)...
- Cost-effectiveness of activated protein C in real-life clinical practiceJean Francois Dhainaut
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Port Royal University Hospital, AP HP, Rene Descartes University, Paris 5, Paris, France
Crit Care 11:R99. 2007..We evaluated the cost-effectiveness of rhAPC in patients with severe sepsis and multiple organ failure in real-life intensive care practice...
- Detecting life-threatening lactic acidosis related to nucleoside-analog treatment of human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients, and treatment with L-carnitineYann Erick Claessens
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cochin Hospital, 27 rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, F 75679 Paris cedex 14, France
Crit Care Med 31:1042-7. 2003....
- International integrated database for the evaluation of severe sepsis (INDEPTH): clinical evaluation committee report on the safety of drotrecogin alfa (activated) therapyJean Francois Dhainaut
Hopital Cochin, Paris, France
Curr Med Res Opin 24:1187-97. 2008..The results of safety analyses are reported...
- Diagnosis and treatment of severe sepsisYann Erick Claessens
Pôle Réanimations Urgences, Hopital Cochin, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679 Paris Cedex 14, Paris, France
Crit Care 11:S2. 2007..We summarize the main proposals made by the Surviving Sepsis Campaign and focus on the difficulties associated with making a proper diagnosis and supplying adequate treatment promptly to septic patients...
- How emergency departments might alert for prehospital heat-related excess mortality?Yann Erick Claessens
Paris Descartes University, Faculty of Medicine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Department of Emergency Medicine, Hopital Cochin, Paris Cedex 14, France
Crit Care 10:R156. 2006..Our objective was to develop a real-time surveillance model based on ED data to detect excessive heat-related mortality as early as possible...
- Successful cardiopulmonary resuscitation after cardiac arrest as a "sepsis-like" syndromeChristophe Adrie
Medical ICU, Cochin Hospital, Paris, France
Circulation 106:562-8. 2002..We investigated the immunoinflammatory profile of patients successfully resuscitated after cardiac arrest, representing a model of whole-body ischemia/reperfusion syndrome...
- Influence of overweight on ICU mortality: a prospective studyCyril Goulenok
Service de Reanimation Medicale, hôpital Cochin Port Royal, Paris, France
Chest 125:1441-5. 2004..We conducted a prospective study in order to examine the relationship between body mass index (BMI) and mortality among these patients...
- Continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration versus intermittent haemodialysis for acute renal failure in patients with multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome: a multicentre randomised trialChristophe Vinsonneau
Department of Intensive Care, Cochin Port Royal University Hospital, Rene Descartes University, Paris, France
Lancet 368:379-85. 2006..In this study, we compare the effect of intermittent haemodialysis and continuous venovenous haemodiafiltration on survival rates in critically ill patients with acute renal failure as part of multiple-organ dysfunction syndrome...
- Can metabolic abnormalities after a fall predict short term mortality in elderly patients?Frederic Bloch
Department of Gerontology, Hôpital Broca AP HP, Paris, France
Eur J Epidemiol 24:357-62. 2009..As metabolic abnormalities can be an indirect marker of a long delay before emergency medical care, this study underscored the importance of early warning system for the frailest old individuals in order to prevent such complications...
- Health network to improve elderly patients' flow in emergency departmentKhalil Takun
Emergency Department, Cochin University Hospital, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, Paris, France
Eur J Emerg Med 13:260-3. 2006..Our study, based on this organization, analyses the outcome of such a system...
- Do ED staffs have a role to play in the prevention of repeat falls in elderly patients?Frederic Bloch
Department of Gerontology, Hopital Broca, 54 rue Pascal, Paris, France
Am J Emerg Med 27:303-7. 2009..The aim of this study was to determine the factors influencing 6-month independence...
- Appropriateness of diagnosis and orientation of 996 consecutive patients admitted in an emergency department with flow-based organizationJean Christophe Allo
Department of Emergency Medicine, Cochin Hospital, Paris Cedex, France
Eur J Emerg Med 16:23-8. 2009..Our Emergency Department (ED) was reorganized in the year 2000 based on the optimization of patients' flow. In this model, the emergency team had to refer patients to units fitting best to their condition with minimal delays...
- Sources of variability on the estimate of treatment effect in the PROWESS trial: implications for the design and conduct of future studies in severe sepsisWilliam L Macias
Lilly Research Laboratories, Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Crit Care Med 32:2385-91. 2004..Diligence by coordinating centers, site investigators, study coordinators, and sponsors is necessary to ensure that the protocol is executed as designed such that a treatment benefit, if present, will be evident...
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic analysis of drotrecogin alfa (activated) in patients with severe sepsisWilliam L Macias
Eli Lilly and Company, Lilly Corporate Center, Indianapolis, Ind 46285, USA
Clin Pharmacol Ther 72:391-402. 2002..We aimed to characterize the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of drotrecogin alfa (activated) (recombinant human activated protein C) in patients with severe sepsis...
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008R Phillip Dellinger
Cooper University Hospital, Camden, NJ, USA
Crit Care Med 36:296-327. 2008..To provide an update to the original Surviving Sepsis Campaign clinical management guidelines, "Surviving Sepsis Campaign Guidelines for Management of Severe Sepsis and Septic Shock," published in 2004...
- Systemic host responses in severe sepsis analyzed by causative microorganism and treatment effects of drotrecogin alfa (activated)Steven M Opal
Brown University School of Medicine, Providence, RI, USA
Clin Infect Dis 37:50-8. 2003..Results demonstrate that DrotAA, administered as an adjunct to standard anti-infective therapy, can improve the rate of survival for patients who develop severe sepsis regardless of causative microorganism...
- Survival advantage associated with heterozygous factor V Leiden mutation in patients with severe sepsis and in mouse endotoxemiaBryce A Kerlin
Blood Research Institute, Blood Center of Southeast Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI 53226, USA
Blood 102:3085-92. 2003..76). The findings suggest that FV Leiden constitutes a rare example of a balanced gene polymorphism that maintains the FV Leiden mutation in the general gene pool due to a survival advantage of VL+/- in severe sepsis...
- Recombinant human platelet-activating factor acetylhydrolase for treatment of severe sepsis: results of a phase III, multicenter, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, clinical trialSteven Opal
Division of Infectious Diseases, Brown Medical School, Providence, RI, USA
Crit Care Med 32:332-41. 2004..CONCLUSIONS: rPAF-AH was well tolerated and not antigenic, but did not decrease 28-day all-cause mortality in patients with severe sepsis...
- Protein C concentrations in severe sepsis: an early directional change in plasma levels predicts outcomeAndrew F Shorr
Department of Medicine, Section of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Crit Care 10:R92. 2006..The objective of this study was to determine whether early directional changes in protein C levels correlate with outcome...
- Only activated protein C treatment and not protein C has demonstrated an improvement in survival in severe sepsisS Betty Yan
Crit Care Med 32:618; author reply 618-9. 2004
- Drotrecogin alfa (activated) treatment in severe sepsis from the global open-label trial ENHANCE: further evidence for survival and safety and implications for early treatmentJean-Louis Vincent
Department of Intensive Care, Erasme University Hospital and University of Brussels, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 33:2266-77. 2005..4%, p = .01). CONCLUSIONS: ENHANCE provides supportive evidence for the favorable benefit/risk ratio observed in PROWESS and suggests that more effective use of drotrecogin alfa (activated) might be obtained by initiating therapy earlier...
- Severe community-acquired pneumonia as a cause of severe sepsis: data from the PROWESS studyPierre-Francois Laterre
Head of Intensive Care Unit, Cliniques Universitaires Saint-Luc Service des Urgences et des Soins Intensifs, UCL, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 33:952-61. 2005..In patients with severe sepsis resulting from CAP, a readily identifiable disease, DrotAA, improved survival compared with placebo...
- Hospital mortality and resource use in subgroups of the Recombinant Human Activated Protein C Worldwide Evaluation in Severe Sepsis (PROWESS) trialPierre-Francois Laterre
Department of Critical Care, St Luc University Hospital, UCL, Brussels, Belgium
Crit Care Med 32:2207-18. 2004..Additional survivors created with DrotAA treatment did not increase per-patient resource use or intensive care unit or hospital length of stay...
- Surviving Sepsis Campaign: international guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock: 2008R Phillip Dellinger
Cooper University Hospital, One Cooper Plaza, 393 Dorrance, Camden 08103, NJ, USA
Intensive Care Med 34:17-60. 2008..To provide an update to the original Surviving Sepsis Campaign clinical management guidelines, "Surviving Sepsis Campaign guidelines for management of severe sepsis and septic shock," published in 2004...
- The PIRO concept: R is for responseHerwig Gerlach
Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine, Vivantes-Klinikum Neukoelln, Germany
Crit Care 7:256-9. 2003