- Tumour lysis syndrome and acute kidney injury in high-risk haematology patients in the rasburicase era. A prospective multicentre study from the Groupe de Recherche en Réanimation Respiratoire et Onco-HématologiqueMichael Darmon
Medical Surgical ICU, Saint Etienne University Hospital, Saint Priest en Jarez, France
Br J Haematol 162:489-97. 2013..TLS was associated with increased mortality, indicating a need for interventional studies aimed at decreasing early TLS-related deaths in this setting. ..
- Intensive care of the cancer patient: recent achievements and remaining challengesElie Azoulay
AP HP, Hopital Saint Louis, Medical ICU, Paris, France
Ann Intensive Care 1:5. 2011..Lastly, we propose a research agenda to address unanswered questions...
- Mortality associated with timing of admission to and discharge from ICU: a retrospective cohort studyKevin B Laupland
University of Grenoble 1 Joseph Fourier Integrated Research Center U 823 Albert Bonniot Institute, Rond Point de la Chantourne 38706, La Tronche Cedex, France
BMC Health Serv Res 11:321. 2011..The objective of this study was to assess effect of timing of admission to and discharge from ICUs and subsequent risk for death...
- Diagnostic accuracy of procalcitonin in critically ill immunocompromised patientsNicolas Bele
AP HP, Hopital Saint Louis, Medical ICU Department, 75010 Paris, France
BMC Infect Dis 11:224. 2011..Recognizing infection is crucial in immunocompromised patients with organ dysfunction. Our objective was to assess the diagnostic accuracy of procalcitonin (PCT) in critically ill immunocompromised patients...
- Diagnostic performance of fractional excretion of urea in the evaluation of critically ill patients with acute kidney injury: a multicenter cohort studyMichael Darmon
Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Etienne University Hospital, and Jean Monnet University, Avenue Albert Raymond, F 42270 Saint Etienne, France
Crit Care 15:R178. 2011..These factors do not affect the fractional excretion of urea (FeUrea). However, there are conflicting data on the diagnostic accuracy of FeUrea...
- Association between hypernatraemia acquired in the ICU and mortality: a cohort studyMichael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital, APHP, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, Paris, France
Nephrol Dial Transplant 25:2510-5. 2010..The aim of this study is to describe the prevalence and outcomes of intensive care unit (ICU)-acquired hypernatraemia (IAH)...
- Procedure volume is one determinant of centre effect in mechanically ventilated patientsM Darmon
Medical Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Etienne University Hospital, Saint Priest en Jarez, Saint Etienne, France
Eur Respir J 37:364-70. 2011..Significant differences in outcomes persisted between centres after adjustment for hospital MV volume, supporting a role for other significant determinants of the centre effect...
- Infection as a trigger of diabetic ketoacidosis in intensive care-unit patientsE Azoulay
Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis Teaching Hospital and Paris 7 University, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 32:30-5. 2001..73; CI, 1.58-9.09). Infection is the leading trigger of DKA in ICU patients. Neurological symptoms at admission and lack of complete clearance of ketonuria within 12 h are useful warning signals of infection...
- Time course of organ dysfunction in thrombotic microangiopathy patients receiving either plasma perfusion or plasma exchangeMichael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Saint Louis University Hospital, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 34:2127-33. 2006..Few studies have investigated adults with thrombotic microangiopathy (TMA) requiring intensive care unit (ICU) admission, and the treatment remains controversial...
- Should dialysis be offered to cancer patients with acute kidney injury?Michael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital, Assistance Publique des Hôpitaux de Paris and Paris VII University, 1 av Claude Vellefaux, 75010, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 33:765-72. 2007....
- Acute respiratory failure in neutropenic patients is associated with a high post-ICU mortalityD Mokart
Medical Surgical ICU, Paoli Calmettes Institute, Marseille, France
Minerva Anestesiol 79:1156-63. 2013..The main objective of this study was to describe outcomes and to identify early predictors of hospital mortality in critically ill cancer patients with ARF during chemotherapy-induced neutropenia...
- Prognostic significance of acute renal injury in acute tumor lysis syndromeMichael Darmon
Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital, Paris, France
Leuk Lymphoma 51:221-7. 2010..64-54.66; p = 0.006), compared to patients without renal injury. Our study suggests that in patients with ATLS, ICU management when acute renal injury is present is associated with higher short- and long-term mortality...
- The ICU trial: a new admission policy for cancer patients requiring mechanical ventilationLucien Lecuyer
AP HP, Saint Louis Hospital, Medical ICU, Paris 7 University, Paris, France
Crit Care Med 35:808-14. 2007..Cancer patients requiring mechanical ventilation are widely viewed as poor candidates for intensive care unit (ICU) admission. We designed a prospective study evaluating a new admission policy titled The ICU Trial...
- Performance of N-terminal-pro-B-type natriuretic peptide in critically ill patients: a prospective observational cohort studyIsaline Coquet
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital, AP HP, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, Paris, 75010, France
Crit Care 12:R137. 2008..The purpose of this study was to assess the accuracy of N-terminal-pro-B-type natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP) as a diagnostic tool to recognize acute respiratory failure of cardiac origin in an unselected cohort of critically ill patients...
- Prevalence and factors of intensive care unit conflicts: the conflicus studyElie Azoulay
AP HP, Hopital Saint Louis, Medical ICU, University Paris 7 Paris Diderot, UFR de Medecine, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 180:853-60. 2009..Many sources of conflict exist in intensive care units (ICUs). Few studies recorded the prevalence, characteristics, and risk factors for conflicts in ICUs...
- Impact of neutropenia duration on short-term mortality in neutropenic critically ill cancer patientsMichael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital and Paris 7 University, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 28:1775-80. 2002..To identify predictors of 30-day mortality and to assess the impact of neutropenia recovery (NR) on 30-day mortality in critically ill cancer patients (CICPs)...
- Outcome of cancer patients considered for intensive care unit admission: a hospital-wide prospective studyGuillaume Thiery
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis Teaching Hospital, 1 rue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 23:4406-13. 2005..To evaluate the outcome of cancer patients considered for admission to the intensive care unit (ICU)...
- Intensive care in patients with newly diagnosed malignancies and a need for cancer chemotherapyMichael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital and Paris 7 University, France
Crit Care Med 33:2488-93. 2005..Patients with newly diagnosed cancer responsible for organ failures may require intensive care unit (ICU) admission and immediate chemotherapy. Outcomes in this population have not been studied...
- Deterioration of previous acute lung injury during neutropenia recoveryElie Azoulay
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Saint Louis University Hospital, USA
Crit Care Med 30:781-6. 2002..Although neutropenia recovery is associated with a high risk of deterioration of respiratory condition, no studies designed to identify risk factors for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) in this situation have been published...
- Risk of post-traumatic stress symptoms in family members of intensive care unit patientsElie Azoulay
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:987-94. 2005..Intensive care unit (ICU) admission of a relative is a stressful event that may cause symptoms of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)...
- Impact of mild hypoxemia on renal function and renal resistive index during mechanical ventilationMichael Darmon
Medical Intensive Care Unit, AP HP, Centre hospitalier Albert Chenevier, Henri Mondor, Creteil, France
Intensive Care Med 35:1031-8. 2009..Short-term hypoxemia affects diuresis and natriuresis in healthy individuals. No data are available on the impact of the mild hypoxemia levels usually tolerated in critically ill patients receiving mechanical ventilation...
- Risk factors for pneumonia in immunocompromised patients with influenzaDavid Schnell
AP HP, Hopital Saint Louis, Medical ICU, 1 avenue Claude Vellefaux, 75010 Paris, France
Respir Med 104:1050-6. 2010..Immunocompromised patients with influenza are at higher risk of pneumonia and death. However, risk factors for progression to pneumonia still need evaluation...
- Continued survival gains in recent years among critically ill myeloma patientsVincent Peigne
Medical ICU, AP HP, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 35:512-8. 2009..Therapeutic advances have improved survival in patients with myeloma (MM) over the past decade. We investigated whether survival has also improved in critically ill myeloma patients...
- Central neurological complications in critically ill patients with malignanciesStephane Legriel
Medical Intensive Care Unit, AP HP, Hopital Saint Louis, 75010 Paris, France
Intensive Care Med 36:232-40. 2010..To determine outcomes in critically ill patients hospitalized in the ICU for central neurological complications of cancer...
- Critical care management of cancer patients: cause for optimism and need for objectivityMichael Darmon
Medical ICU, Saint Louis University Hospital, APHP, Paris, France
Curr Opin Oncol 21:318-26. 2009..This review discusses current outcomes of critically ill cancer patients and recent insights into prognostic factors. Persistent areas of uncertainty are emphasized...