Genomes and Genes
Pierre Regis Burgel
- Clinical COPD phenotypes: a novel approach using principal component and cluster analysesP R Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, 75679 Paris Cedex 14, France
Eur Respir J 36:531-9. 2010..These analyses underscore the need for novel multidimensional COPD classification for improving patient care and quality of clinical trials...
- [Comorbidities in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Pierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, 75679 Paris Cedex 14
Rev Prat 61:796-8. 2011..It is also suggested that early diagnosis and treatment of COPD in subjects suffering from other chronic diseases may result in improved patient care...
- [Structural abnormalities and inflammation in COPD: a focus on small airways]P R Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Rev Mal Respir 28:749-60. 2011..These data suggest a potential role for therapies that can target remodelling and inflammation in the small airways of patients with COPD...
- [From COPD definitions to COPD phenotypes]Pierre Regis Burgel
Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, 75006 Paris, France Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hopital Cochin, 75014 Paris, France Electronic address
Presse Med 43:1337-43. 2014..The development of simple algorithms, using easily available clinical data, will allow identification of phenotypes in clinical practice and may lead to individualized therapies...
- Tiotropium might improve survival in subjects with COPD at high risk of mortalityPierre Regis Burgel
Hôpitaux Universitaires Paris Centre, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Respir Res 15:64. 2014..We hypothesized that heterogeneity in baseline mortality risk influenced the results of drug trials assessing mortality in COPD...
- Impact of comorbidities on COPD-specific health-related quality of lifePierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP and Université Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris 75014, France
Respir Med 107:233-41. 2013..Comorbidities are frequent in subjects with COPD, but their contribution to health-related quality of life (HRQoL) impairment is not clearly established...
- Two distinct chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) phenotypes are associated with high risk of mortalityPierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP and Université Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
PLoS ONE 7:e51048. 2012..In COPD patients, mortality risk is influenced by age, severity of respiratory disease, and comorbidities. With an unbiased statistical approach we sought to identify clusters of COPD patients and to examine their mortality risk...
- The role of small airways in obstructive airway diseasesP R Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, Paris, France
Eur Respir Rev 20:23-33. 2011..The availability of these techniques coupled with our ability to better target inhaled molecules to small airways provide a unique opportunity for a reappraisal of the relevance of small airways in chronic airway diseases...
- [Treatments targeting distal airways in asthma: update on clinical studies]P R Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Universite Paris Descartes, Assistance Publique des Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Rev Mal Respir 26:859-66. 2009..The available studies have not yet demonstrated a long-term benefit in terms of additional clinical efficacy of these ultrafine inhaled medications on symptoms, control and exacerbations of asthma...
- Non-classic cystic fibrosis associated with D1152H CFTR mutationP R Burgel
Hopital Cochin, APHP, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Clin Genet 77:355-64. 2010..Limited knowledge exists on phenotypes associated with the D1152H cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator (CFTR) mutation...
- Cough and sputum production are associated with frequent exacerbations and hospitalizations in COPD subjectsPierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, Paris Cedex 14, France
Chest 135:975-82. 2009..Our objective was to identify features associated with chronic cough and sputum production in COPD subjects...
- High prevalence of azole-resistant Aspergillus fumigatus in adults with cystic fibrosis exposed to itraconazolePierre Regis Burgel
Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 56:869-74. 2012..Although the clinical implications of these findings will require further studies, the cautious use of itraconazole in adult CF subjects can be recommended...
- A morphometric study of mucins and small airway plugging in cystic fibrosisPierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Universite Rene Descartes, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, 75 679 Paris Cedex 14, France
Thorax 62:153-61. 2007..Little knowledge exists on structural changes and plugging in small airways in cystic fibrosis...
- [Antibiotics for acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)]P R Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Faculte de Medecine, APHP, Universite Paris Descartes, 27, rue du Faubourg Saint Jacques, 75679 Paris Cedex 14, France
Med Mal Infect 36:706-17. 2006..This study had for aim to evaluate the rationale and indications for antibiotic treatment in acute exacerbations of COPD and to identify potential differences among various antibiotics available for the treatment of exacerbations in France...
- Association between Staphylococcus aureus alone or combined with Pseudomonas aeruginosa and the clinical condition of patients with cystic fibrosisDominique Hubert
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, Paris, France
J Cyst Fibros 12:497-503. 2013..The aim of this study was to assess the prevalence and clinical consequences of MRSA and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus (MSSA), associated or not associated with Pseudomonas aeruginosa (PA)...
- One-year outcome after severe pulmonary exacerbation in adults with cystic fibrosisMadiha Ellaffi
Service de Pneumologie, Groupe Hospitalier Cochin, Assitance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Faculté Cochin Port Royale, Universite Paris 5, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 171:158-64. 2005..cepacia, the severity of hypoxemia at admission, and hospitalization in the ICU in the multivariate analysis. In 1-year survivors, pulmonary exacerbation did not affect the progression of the disease...
- Association between occupational exposure and the clinical characteristics of COPDDenis Caillaud
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Gabriel Montpied, Clermont Ferrand 63003, France
BMC Public Health 12:302. 2012..The aim of this study was to explore the contribution of occupational exposures on clinical pattern of COPD...
- Liver disease in adult patients with cystic fibrosis: a frequent and independent prognostic factor associated with death or lung transplantationAriane Chryssostalis
Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
J Hepatol 55:1377-82. 2011..However, few data have been published in large adult cohorts. The aim of this study was to estimate the prevalence and the prognosis of CFLD in adult CF patients...
- Sleep quality and nocturnal hypoxaemia and hypercapnia in children and young adults with cystic fibrosisBrigitte Fauroux
AP HP, Pediatric Pulmonary Department, Hopital Armand Trousseau, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, INSERM U 955, 28 avenue du Docteur Arnold Netter, Paris, France
Arch Dis Child 97:960-6. 2012..The aim of the study was to evaluate sleep quality and nocturnal gas exchange in patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) and to assess if sleep quality and daytime lung function could predict nocturnal hypoxaemia or hypercapnia...
- Cystic fibrosis transmembrane conductance regulator channel dysfunction in non-cystic fibrosis bronchiectasisThierry Bienvenu
Service d Explorations Fonctionnelles, Hopital Cochin, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, Paris, France
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 181:1078-84. 2010....
- Employment and work disability in adults with cystic fibrosisHervé Laborde-Castérot
Service de pathologie professionnelle, Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité and Hôpital Cochin, AP HP, Paris, France
J Cyst Fibros 11:137-43. 2012..As a result of prolonged survival, more patients with cystic fibrosis (CF) participate in the labour force. The aim of this study was to evaluate their education, occupation levels and risk factors for work disability...
- Characteristics and consequences of airway colonization by filamentous fungi in 201 adult patients with cystic fibrosis in FranceAndré Paugam
Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Med Mycol 48:S32-6. 2010..By a multivariate analysis we demonstrated that Scedosporium apiospermum was significantly associated with ABPA (Odds ratio = 13 [2-80]) as opposed to A. fumigatus (Odds ratio = 1.58 [0.49-5.05])...
- CFTR dysfunction induces vascular endothelial growth factor synthesis in airway epitheliumClémence Martin
Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris
Eur Respir J 42:1553-62. 2013..Cystic fibrosis airways at transplantation showed increased peribronchial vascularity and epithelial VEGF-A expression. CFTR dysfunction triggered epithelial synthesis of VEGF-A, which may contribute to vascular remodelling. ..
- Impact of gender on COPD expression in a real-life cohortNicolas Roche
Service de Pneumologie et Soins Intensifs Respiratoires, Groupe Hospitalier Cochin Broca Hôtel Dieu, AP HP and Université Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Respir Res 15:20. 2014....
- Dysfunctional lung anatomy and small airways degeneration in COPDClémence Martin
Department of Respiratory Medicine, Cochin Hospital, AP HP and Université Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis 8:7-13. 2013..Implications of these findings for the development of novel therapies are briefly discussed...
- Prognostic value of six minute walk test in cystic fibrosis adultsClémence Martin
Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, 75014 Paris, France Department of Respiratory Medicine and Adult Cystic Fibrosis Center, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, 75014 Paris, France
Respir Med 107:1881-7. 2013..The 6 min walk test (6MWT) provides prognostic information in various respiratory diseases, but limited data exist in cystic fibrosis (CF) adults...
- Host-microbe interactions in distal airways: relevance to chronic airway diseasesClémence Martin
Hopital Cochin, AP HP, Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Eur Respir Rev 24:78-91. 2015..The present article reviews some aspects of current literature on host-microbe (mostly bacteria and viruses) interactions in healthy and diseased airways, with a special focus on distal airways. ..
- Heme oxygenase-1 prevents airway mucus hypersecretion induced by cigarette smoke in rodents and humansAbdelhamid Almolki
INSERM U700, Universite Paris 7, Paris, France
Am J Pathol 173:981-92. 2008..7% versus 8.6%, P = 0.047). No such results were observed in those who had never smoked (n = 297). We conclude that HO-1 has a significant protective effect against airway mucus hypersecretion in animals and humans exposed to CS...
- Pulmonary acceleration time to optimize the timing of lung transplant in cystic fibrosisThibaud Damy
Department of Cardiology, AP HP, Henri Mondor Hospital, Creteil, France
Pulm Circ 2:75-83. 2012..001) but not in patients with sPAP>35 mmHg. By multivariate analysis, FEV(1)and nocturnal desaturation were the main determinants of reduced PAT. A PAT<101 ms reduction is a promising tool for timing of lung transplantation in CF...
- Mediastinal tuberculosis in an adult patient with cystic fibrosisPhilippe C Morand
Universite Paris Descartes, Faculte de Medecine, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 49:750-1. 2011..We report the first case of mediastinal TB, associated with leg pain and skin rash, in an adult patient with CF, and discuss factors suggestive of TB in the course of CF...
- Determinants of mortality for adults with cystic fibrosis admitted in Intensive Care Unit: a multicenter studyJoelle Texereau
Service de Physiologie, AP HP, Hopital Cochin, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, Paris, F 75014, France
Respir Res 7:14. 2006..This appraisal needs re-evaluation following recent changes in both CF management and ICU daily practice. Objectives were to determine long-term outcome of adults with CF admitted in ICU and to identify prognostic factors...
- [Severe dehydration and August 2003 heat wave in a cohort of adults with cystic fibrosis]Nadine Desmazes-Dufeu
Centre de ressources et de compétences de la mucoviscidose de l adulte, Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Paris
Presse Med 34:647-8. 2005..Method Retrospective study of the telephone calls received from and hospital admissions of all adult cystic fibrosis patients (n=245) regularly followed in our specialized clinic...
- beta2-Agonist modulates epithelial gene expression involved in the T- and B-cell chemotaxis and induces airway sensitization in human isolated bronchiChristophe Faisy
Research Unit UPRES EA220, Université Versailles Saint Quentin, Hopital Foch, 40 rue Worth, 92150 Suresnes, France
Pharmacol Res 61:121-8. 2010..They also suggest that the infiltration of resident T and B cells into the subepithelial area is associated with an increase in airway responsiveness due to fenoterol exposure...
- p.Arg75Gln, a CFTR variant involved in the risk of CFTR-related disorders?Brigitte Martinez
Laboratoire de Biochimie et Genetique Moleculaire, GH Cochin Broca Hôtel Dieu, AP HP, Paris, France
J Hum Genet 59:206-10. 2014..Arg75Gln mutation confers a significant risk of pancreatitis both when considered individually and with a concurrent SPINK1 mutation, suggesting the role of other genetic and environmental factors...
- Small airways diseases, excluding asthma and COPD: an overviewPierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, Universite Paris Descartes, Paris, France
Eur Respir Rev 22:131-47. 2013..Pathogenesis, clinical presentation, a computed tomography scan and pulmonary function test findings are reviewed, and therapeutic options are described with the objective of providing an integrative approach to these disorders...
- [Pathogenesis of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease]Pierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, AP HP, Paris Cedex 14, France
Presse Med 38:406-12. 2009..Alveolar wall destruction (emphysema) also contributes to airway obstruction and to gas exchange abnormalities. Current knowledge related to molecular and cellular mechanisms responsible for these structural modifications are reviewed...
- Identification of clinical phenotypes using cluster analyses in COPD patients with multiple comorbiditiesPierre Regis Burgel
Service de Pneumologie, Hopital Cochin, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 27 rue du Faubourg St Jacques, 75014 Paris, France Université Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, 75014 Paris, France Initiatives BPCO Study Group, France
Biomed Res Int 2014:420134. 2014..Finally, gaps in current knowledge are described, leading to proposals for future studies...
- Targeting mucus hypersecretion: new therapeutic opportunities for COPD?Clémence Martin
Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, 75014, Paris, France
Drugs 74:1073-89. 2014..These trials will be necessary to explore the hypothesis that reducing mucus hypersecretion is beneficial in COPD patients. ..
- Pemetrexed, oxaliplatin and bevacizumab as first-line treatment in patients with stage IV non-small cell lung cancerOlivier Mir
Department of Medical Oncology, Cochin Teaching Hospital, AP HP, Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Paris, France
Lung Cancer 77:104-9. 2012..The combination of pemetrexed, oxaliplatin and bevacizumab appeared well tolerated and active as second- or third-line treatment in a previous phase II study. Its role as first-line therapy remains to define...
- Practice of noninvasive ventilation for cystic fibrosis: a nationwide survey in FranceBrigitte Fauroux
Pediatric Pulmonary Department, Hopital Armand Trousseau, Centre de Ressources et de Compe tences pour la Mucoviscidose, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Paris, France
Respir Care 53:1482-9. 2008..No guidelines are available for noninvasive ventilation (NIV) for cystic fibrosis (CF)...
- The role of biomarkers in community-acquired pneumonia: predicting mortality and response to adjunctive therapyJean Paul Mira
Medical Intensive Care Unit, Cochin University Hospital, Assistance Publique, Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris Descartes, and INSERM U567, Paris 75014, France
Crit Care 12:S5. 2008..In the future it may also be possible to use genomic markers to identify patients at greatest risk for deterioration or complications...
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa induces vascular endothelial growth factor synthesis in airway epithelium in vitro and in vivoC Martin
Universite Paris Descartes, Sorbonne Paris Cité, Faculte de Medecine, UPRES EA 2511, Paris, France
Eur Respir J 38:939-46. 2011..These effects were reduced by EGFR inhibition. Persistent PA infection induced VEGF synthesis in airway epithelium and peribronchial angiogenesis, at least in part via EGFR-dependent mechanisms...