- Predicting smoking relapse with a multidimensional versus a single-item tobacco craving measureIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière Faculté de médicine, Université P and M Curie INSERM U669, Paris, France Electronic address
Drug Alcohol Depend 132:513-20. 2013..Craving can be assessed by multiple item or multifactorial scales or by single items. However, no systematic comparisons of their prognostic validity or accuracy have been published...
- Smoking Status and Metabolic Syndrome in the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. A cross-sectional studyIvan Berlin
Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Université P, and M, Curie, Faculte de Medecine, INSERM 894, Paris, France
Tob Induc Dis 10:9. 2012..abstract:..
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms, craving to smoke, and tobacco withdrawal symptoms in adult smokers with ADHDIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, AP HP, Faculte de Medicine, Université P and M Curie INSERM U894, 47, Bd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 124:268-73. 2012..Tobacco withdrawal symptoms may be confounded with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) symptoms among smokers with ADHD...
- A selective reversible monoamine oxidase B inhibitor in smoking cessation: effects on its own and in association with transdermal nicotine patchIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance publique Hôpitaux de Paris Faculté de médicine, Université P and M Curie INSERM U894, 47, Bd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 223:89-98. 2012..Monoamine oxidase B (MAO-B) activity is reduced in smokers. A MAO-B inhibitor alone or co-administered with nicotine may mimic the effects of smoking and be a candidate drug for smoking cessation...
- Reduced monoamine oxidase A activity in pregnant smokers and in their newbornsIvan Berlin
Faculte de Medicine, Universite Paris 6, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, INSERM U894, Paris, France
Biol Psychiatry 66:728-33. 2009..We aimed to compare, in everyday clinical conditions, biomarkers of MAOA activity in smoking (SPW) and lifetime nonsmoking pregnant women (NSPW) and in cord blood and to assess the newborns' behavior during the first 48 hours of life...
- Depressive mood, suicide ideation and anxiety in smokers who do and smokers who do not manage to stop smoking after a target quit dayIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière Faculté de médicine, Universite P and M Curie, INSERM U894, Paris, France
Addiction 105:2209-16. 2010..The aim of this secondary analysis was to explore the relationship between abstinence status and these outcomes...
- Smoking-induced metabolic disorders: a reviewIvan Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Faculte de Medicine, Universite Paris 6, INSERM U677, 47, Boulevard de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 34:307-14. 2008....
- Newborns' cord blood plasma cotinine concentrations are similar to that of their delivering smoking mothersIvan Berlin
Faculté de médicine Université P and M Curie Assistance publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière INSERM U894, Paris, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 107:250-2. 2010..Umbilical cord plasma cotinine levels have been shown to correlate with self-reported daily number of cigarettes at the end of pregnancy, but the exact relationship between maternal and newborn plasma cotinine (and nicotine) is unknown...
- Validity of the 12-item French version of the Tobacco Craving Questionnaire in treatment-seeking smokersIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Faculte de Medicine, Université P and M Curie INSERM U894, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 12:500-7. 2010..For use in research and clinical settings, we constructed a 12-item version of the FTCQ (FTCQ-12)...
- Pre-cessation depressive mood predicts failure to quit smoking: the role of coping and personality traitsIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Université Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 6 and INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Addiction 101:1814-21. 2006..To examine whether mood, personality and coping predict smoking cessation and whether the associations of personality and coping are mediated through depressed mood...
- Nicotine dependence and urge to smoke predict negative health symptoms in smokersIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière Faculté de médecine, Université Pierre and Marie Curie Paris 6 INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Prev Med 47:447-51. 2008..To assess the predictive value of nicotine dependence or urge to smoke for negative health symptoms one year later...
- Sex-based and hormonal contraception effects on the metabolism of nicotine among adolescent tobacco-dependent smokersIvan Berlin
Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6 and INSERM U 677, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 9:493-8. 2007..Prospective controlled studies are needed to further evaluate the role of hormonal contraception in patterns of adolescent smoking and nicotine metabolism...
- Duration of smoking abstinence and suicide-related outcomesIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, 47 bd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 13:887-93. 2011..To investigate the association between suicide-related outcomes (SROs: wish to die, suicidal thoughts, and attempted suicide) and duration of smoking abstinence...
- Endocrine and metabolic effects of smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Universite Paris 6, Hopital Pitie Salpetriere, Inserm U 894, Service de Pharmacologie, Paris, France
Curr Med Res Opin 25:527-34. 2009..Less is known about hormonal and metabolic effects that patients may experience while quitting smoking...
- Therapeutic strategies to optimize the efficacy of nicotine replacement therapiesIvan Berlin
Columbia University Medical Center, New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, New York, USA
COPD 6:272-6. 2009..Uncertainties exist about the optimal length of NRT administration. Co-administration of NRT with bupropion or nortriptyline does not seem to lead to higher abstinence rate than NRT alone...
- OROS-methylphenidate or placebo for adult smokers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder: racial/ethnic differencesLirio S Covey
New York State Psychiatric Institute, Columbia University Medical Center, 1051 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10032, United States
Drug Alcohol Depend 110:156-9. 2010..To explore racial/ethnic difference in OROS-methylphenidate (OMPH) efficacy when added to nicotine patch and counseling for treating nicotine dependence among smokers with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)...
- Smoking related diseases: the central role of monoamine oxidaseFrancine Rendu
UMRS 956 Génétique, Pharmacologie et Physiopathologie des maladies cardiovasculaires, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 91 Bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, France
Int J Environ Res Public Health 8:136-47. 2011..The present review implements the new finding of epigenetic regulation of MAO and suggests that smoking-induced MAO demethylation can be considered as a hallmark of smoking-related cancers similarly to other aberrant DNA methylations...
- Reliability and validity of the French version of the tobacco craving questionnaireIvan Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, 47, Bd de l Hopital, FR 75013 Paris, France
Eur Addict Res 11:62-8. 2005..2) To compare the two different language versions of the same instrument in 2 independent samples from 2 cultures in 2 distinct time periods...
- The Modified Reasons for Smoking Scale: factorial structure, gender effects and relationship with nicotine dependence and smoking cessation in French smokersIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Addiction 98:1575-83. 2003....
- Adjustment of nicotine replacement therapies according to saliva cotinine concentration: the ADONIS* trial-a randomized study in smokers with medical comorbiditiesIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière Faculté de médicine, INSERM U894, Paris, France
Addiction 106:833-43. 2011..To assess the efficacy of nicotine replacement therapies (NRT) when the daily dose was adapted according to saliva cotinine concentrations...
- Effect of glucose on tobacco craving. Is it mediated by tryptophan and serotonin?Ivan Berlin
Service de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, 47 83, Bd de l Hopital, 75013, Paris, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 178:27-34. 2005..Therefore, the aim was to assess the effect of high doses of oral glucose on tobacco craving, withdrawal symptoms, plasma TRP and blood serotonin concentrations in temporarily abstinent smokers...
- Should major depression with 'high normal' thyroid-stimulating hormone be treated preferentially with tricyclics?Emmanuelle Corruble
Psychiatry Department, Bicetre Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, PSIGIM, Paris XI University, Kremlin Bicetre, France
Neuropsychobiology 50:144-6. 2004..Such patients have a more severe form of depression and a slower or impaired response to antidepressant therapy. It is also possible that they would benefit preferentially from TCA rather than other antidepressants...
- Factors associated with higher body mass index, weight concern, and weight gain in a multinational cohort study of smokers intending to quitHenri Jean Aubin
Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Hopital Paul Brousse, 94804 Villejuif Cedex, France
Int J Environ Res Public Health 6:943-57. 2009..Quit attempts were more frequent in subjects with a high baseline BMI and low weight concerns...
- Effect of the threat of a disulfiram-ethanol reaction on cue reactivity in alcoholicsMarilyn D Skinner
Centre Hospitalier Emile Roux, Centre de Traitement des Addictions, Limeil Brevannes, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 112:239-46. 2010..Little is known about the effect of disulfiram on subjective and autonomic nervous system cue reactivity in the laboratory. The dissuasive psychological effect manifested as a threat would seem to prevail over the pharmacological effect...
- Increased risk of relapse after stopping nicotine replacement therapies: a mathematical modelling approachJacques Medioni
Centre d Investigations Cliniques, Hopital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Addiction 100:247-54. 2005..To describe the effect of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) on the risk of relapse as a function of time since the quit date...
- Amisulpride does not prevent relapse in primary alcohol dependence: results of a pilot randomized, placebo-controlled trialDonata Marra
Department of Pharmacology and Psychiatry, Hospital Pritié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Alcohol Clin Exp Res 26:1545-52. 2002..The mesolimbic dopamine system is known to play an important role in alcohol dependence. Amisulpride, a substituted benzamide, seems to facilitate dopaminergic neurotransmission at low doses...
- Lazabemide, a selective, reversible monoamine oxidase B inhibitor, as an aid to smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Pitie Salpetriere, Paris, France
Addiction 97:1347-54. 2002..This is probably due to some components of tobacco smoke. When smokers quit, MAOB activity returns to normal. Reduced MAO activity may increase nicotine's addictive potential...
- Determinants of improvement in quality of life of alcohol-dependent patients during an inpatient withdrawal programmePierre Lahmek
Centre de Traitement des Addictions, Hôpital Emile Roux, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, 94450 Limeil Brevannes, France
Int J Med Sci 6:160-7. 2009....
- Pharmacokinetic-pharmacodynamic study of apomorphine's effect on growth hormone secretion in healthy subjectsGuy Aymard
Service de Pharmacologie, Laboratoire de Pharmacocinetique, Centre Hospitalier et Universitaire Pitié Salpétrière Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, 47 83 Bd de l Hopital, 75634 Paris Cedex 13, France
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:473-81. 2003..67 (65.2) ng/mL, respectively at dose 5, 10, and 20 micro g/kg (P < 10-4). APO and GH concentrations were predicted with good accuracy using bi-compartmental with zero-order absorption PK model and sigmoid Emax PD model, respectively...
- Hedonic response to sucrose solutions and the fear of weight gain in patients with eating disordersRénate Eiber
Clinique des maladies mentales et de l Encéphale, Hopital Sainte Anne, Universite Rene Descartes, Faculté de Médecine Cochin Port Royal, Paris, France
Psychiatry Res 113:173-80. 2002..We conclude that the hedonic responses to sucrose in patients with eating disorders are decreased when solutions are swallowed. This may reflect excessive fear of gaining weight rather than decreased ability to experience pleasure'...
- Lack of effect of D2 dopamine receptor TaqI A polymorphism on smoking cessationIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Groupe Hospitalier Universitaire Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Nicotine Tob Res 7:725-8. 2005..The present study reports on results of a similar smoking cessation study and uses the same methods and data analysis in a larger number of smokers. It fails to replicate the effect of DRD2 TaqI A polymorphism on smoking cessation...
- Relationship between body-mass index and depressive symptoms in patients with major depressionIvan Berlin
Departement de Pharmacologie, Pitie Salpetriere University Hospital, 47, Bd de l Hopital, 75013 Paris, France
Eur Psychiatry 18:85-8. 2003..Appetite and weight changes are commonly occurring symptoms of depressive illness. The occurrence of these symptoms may not only be related to depressive mood but may also be related to body weight...
- The evolutionary puzzle of suicideHenri Jean Aubin
Hopital Paul Brousse, AP HP, INSERM U 669, University Paris Sud 11, 12 Avenue, Paul Vaillant Couturier, Villejuif 94800, France
Int J Environ Res Public Health 10:6873-86. 2013..Although most of the mechanisms proposed in this article are largely speculative, the hypotheses that we raise accept self-destructive behavior within the framework of evolutionary theory. ..
- The French law on "protection of persons undergoing biomedical research": implications for the U.SIvan Berlin
Pierre and Marie Curie University Pitié Salpêtrièe Medical School, Paris, France
J Law Med Ethics 31:434-41. 2003
- Sensory and physiologic effects of menthol and non-menthol cigarettes with differing nicotine deliveryWallace B Pickworth
Clinical Pharmacology Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, Addiction Research Center, National Institutes of Health, PO Box 5180, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 71:55-61. 2002..These results illustrate the importance of threshold levels of nicotine on subjective responses to cigarette smoking...
- Impulsivity in smoking, nonsmoking, and ex-smoking alcoholicsMarilyn D Skinner
Centre de Traitement des Addictions, Hôpital Emile Roux, 1 Avenue de Verdun, 94456 Limeil Brévannes, France
Addict Behav 29:973-8. 2004..In addition, stopping smoking may diminish impulsivity levels in alcoholics. Routine testing of impulsivity in current alcoholic smokers might predict who might successfully become an ex-smoker...
- Characteristics of African American teenage smokers who request cessation treatment: implications for addressing health disparitiesEric T Moolchan
Intramural Research Program, Teen Tobacco Addiction Treatment Research Clinic, Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Research Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse NIH, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 157:533-8. 2003..Ethnoracial disparities in both tobacco-related mortality and treatment outcome for smoking cessation have been reported among adults, but there is a dearth of information on ethnoracial differences among adolescent smokers...
- Tobacco smoking trajectory and associated ethnic differences among adolescent smokers seeking cessation treatmentMiqun L Robinson
Teen Tobacco Addiction Treatment Research Clinic, National Institute on Drug Abuse Intramural Research Program, National Institutes of Health, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
J Adolesc Health 35:217-24. 2004....
- [Current therapeutic strategies in smoking cessation]Anne Borgne
Unité de Coordination de Tabacologie, Hopital Jean Verdier, 93144 Bondy Cedex
Rev Prat 54:1883-93. 2004..Before reaching the decision to quit, the smoker goes through a process in the course of which the role of health professionals' advice is paramount...
- Consistency of subjective responses to imagery-induced tobacco craving over multiple sessionsDustin C Lee
Clinical Pharmacology and Therapeutics Branch, National Institute on Drug Abuse, Intramural Research Program, NIH, 5500 Nathan Shock Drive, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA
Addict Behav 32:2130-9. 2007..These results have practical implications for examining individual differences in sensitivity to smoking cues and for studies involving repeated measurement of elicited craving over time...
- Regulation of smokeless tobacco productsIvan Berlin
Lancet 371:1504. 2008