- Implication of the subthalamic nucleus in the pathophysiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson's diseaseA Benazzouz
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Preclinique, INSERM U 318, Grenoble, France
Cell Transplant 9:215-21. 2000..The evidence reviewed in the present article clearly demonstrates that the STN is implicated in the pathophysiology and pathogenesis of Parkinson's disease...
- Side-effects of subthalamic stimulation in Parkinson's disease: clinical evolution and predictive factorsD Guehl
Service de Neurophysiologie Clinique, Hopital Pellegrin, Place Amelie Rabat Leon, Bordeaux, France
Eur J Neurol 13:963-71. 2006..Age, intensity of axial symptoms and UDPRS II off-medication score before surgery are predictive factors of dysarthria/hypophonia and postural instability after surgery...
- Effect of high-frequency stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus on the neuronal activities of the substantia nigra pars reticulata and ventrolateral nucleus of the thalamus in the ratA Benazzouz
Laboratoire de Neurobiologie Preclinique, INSERM U 318, CHU Pavillon B, BP 217, 38043, Grenoble, France
Neuroscience 99:289-95. 2000..The reduction in tonic inhibitory drive of nigral neurons induces a disinhibition of activity in the ventrolateral motor thalamic nucleus, which should result in activation of the motor cortical system...
- Time-course of changes in firing rates and firing patterns of subthalamic nucleus neuronal activity after 6-OHDA-induced dopamine depletion in ratsZ G Ni
, INSERM U. 318, CHU - Pavillon B, B.P. 217, 38043 Cedex 09, Grenoble, France
Brain Res 899:142-7. 2001....
- Intrasubthalamic injection of 6-hydroxydopamine induces changes in the firing rate and pattern of subthalamic nucleus neurons in the ratZ Ni
INSERM U.318, Neurobiologie Preclinique, CHU-Pavillon B, BP 217, 38043 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
Synapse 40:145-53. 2001....
- Subthalamic stimulation for Parkinson's diseaseA L Benabid
Department of Neurosciences, University Hospital of Grenoble, Grenoble, France
Arch Med Res 31:282-9. 2000..6, 48.6, and 27%, respectively, when compared with the previous preoperative level. From our experience, HFS of the STN could be considered the surgical therapy of choice at advanced stages of Parkinson's disease...
- Unilateral lesion of the nigrostriatal pathway induces an increase of neuronal activity of the pedunculopontine nucleus, which is reversed by the lesion of the subthalamic nucleus in the ratS Breit
INSERM U318, Laboratoire de Neuroscience Preclinique, CHU-Pavillon B, BP 217, 38043 Grenoble Cedex 09, France
Eur J Neurosci 14:1833-42. 2001....
- Ineffective subthalamic nucleus stimulation in levodopa-resistant postischemic parkinsonismP Krack
Department of Clinical and Biological Neurosciences, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
Neurology 54:2182-4. 2000..This case suggests that parkinsonian patients who do not have a good response to levodopa or in whom a postsynaptic dopaminergic lesion can be shown may not be good candidates for STN surgery...
- Deep brain stimulation of the corpus luysi (subthalamic nucleus) and other targets in Parkinson's disease. Extension to new indications such as dystonia and epilepsyA L Benabid
Department of Neurosurgery, CHU A Michallon, Grenoble, France
J Neurol 248:III37-47. 2001..It is therefore possible that DBS in STN as well as in other targets could become a potent therapeutic tool in the near future for neurological disorders...
- Effects of 6-hydroxydopamine-induced severe or partial lesion of the nigrostriatal pathway on the neuronal activity of pallido-subthalamic network in the ratS Breit
INSERM U 318, Department of Preclinical Neurobiology, Joseph Fourier University, Grenoble, France
Exp Neurol 205:36-47. 2007..These data suggest that in the GP-STN-GP network, the excitatory influence of the STN-GP pathway overrides that of the GABAergic GP-STN pathway, questioning the classical model of basal ganglia organization...
- [Deep brain stimulation]V Fraix
Departement de Neurologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Grenoble, Grenoble
Rev Neurol (Paris) 160:511-21. 2004..Such studies, including cost benefit studies would be useful to assess the respective value of these different techniques...