- Slow release caffeine and prolonged (64-h) continuous wakefulness: effects on vigilance and cognitive performanceM Beaumont
Department of Physiology, Institut de Médecine Aérospatiale du Service de Santé des Armées IMASSA, Bretigny sur Orge Cedex, France
J Sleep Res 10:265-76. 2001..048). We showed that 300-mg SRC given twice daily during a 64-h SD is able to antagonize the impairment produced on vigilance and cognitive functions...
- Caffeine or melatonin effects on sleep and sleepiness after rapid eastward transmeridian travelM Beaumont
Department of Physiology, Institut de Medecine Aerospatiale du Service de Sante des Armees, Bretigny sur Orge, Cedex, France
J Appl Physiol (1985) 96:50-8. 2004..SRC reduced sleepiness but also tended to affect sleep quality until the last drug day. In conclusion, both drugs have positive effects on some jet lag symptoms after an eastbound flight: SRC on daytime sleepiness, and Mlt on sleep...
- Effects of zolpidem and zaleplon on sleep, respiratory patterns and performance at a simulated altitude of 4,000 mMaurice Beaumont
Department of Integrative Physiology, Institut de Médecine Aérospatiale du Service de Santé des Armées IMASSA, Bretigny sur Orge, France
Neuropsychobiology 49:154-62. 2004..Both agents did not adversely affect respiration at altitude during the night, or cognitive or physical performance the next morning at the dosages used in this study. Thus, climbers may safely use both hypnotic agents...
- Recovery after prolonged sleep deprivation: residual effects of slow-release caffeine on recovery sleep, sleepiness and cognitive functionsMaurice Beaumont
Department of Physiology, Institut de Médecine Aérospatiale du Service de Santé des Armées IMASSA, Bretigny sur Orge, France
Neuropsychobiology 51:16-27. 2005....
- Prior sleep with zolpidem enhances the effect of caffeine or modafinil during 18 hours continuous workDenise Batéjat
Département de Physiologie Intégrée de l Institut de Médecine Aérospatiale du Service de Santé des Armées IMASSA, Bretigny sur Orge, France
Aviat Space Environ Med 77:515-25. 2006..We assessed the treatment efficacy of a hypnotic-psychostimulant combination to maintain sleep quality, performance, and alertness during a 42-h simulated military operation...
- Resynchronization of hormonal rhythms after an eastbound flight in humans: effects of slow-release caffeine and melatoninC Pierard
Departement de Physiologie, Institut de Medecine Aerospatiale du Service de Sante des Armees, Bretigny sur Orge, France
Eur J Appl Physiol 85:144-50. 2001..In conclusion, these results indicate that administration of slow-release caffeine, as well as of melatonin, allows a faster resynchronization of hormone rhythms during the 4 days following an eastbound flight incurring the loss of 7 h...
- Zaleplon and zolpidem objectively alleviate sleep disturbances in mountaineers at a 3,613 meter altitudeMaurice Beaumont
Institut de Medecine Aerospatiale du Service de Sante des Armees, Bretigny sur Orge, France
Sleep 30:1527-33. 2007..To assess the effects of zolpidem and zaleplon on nocturnal sleep and breathing patterns at altitude, as well as on daytime attention, fatigue, and sleepiness...
- Modafinil-induced modulation of working memory and plasma corticosterone in chronically-stressed miceChristophe Pierard
Institut de Médecine Aérospatiale du Service de Santé des Armées IMASSA, France
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 83:1-8. 2006..Our study evidenced for the first time the interaction between stress and memory, in the emotional modulation of working memory performance, as a function of the administered dose of modafinil...
- Declarative memory impairments following a military combat course: parallel neuropsychological and biochemical investigationsChristophe Pierard
Institut de Medecine Aerospatiale du Service de Sante des Armees, Bretigny sur Orge, Cedex, France
Neuropsychobiology 49:210-7. 2004..However, there are also many other reasons for the observed memory changes, one of them being chronic sleep deprivation...
- Hypoxic depression of melatonin secretion after simulated long duration flights in manOlivier Coste
Service de Biochimie Medicale et Biologie Moleculaire, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris, France
J Pineal Res 37:1-10. 2004..Our findings suggest that hypoxia may by itself contribute at least in part to postflight fatigue after long duration flights, and to the clinical disorders of jet lag in transmeridian flights through its effects on the circadian system...
- Prolonged mild hypoxia modifies human circadian core body temperature and may be associated with sleep disturbancesOlivier Coste
Service de Biochimie Medicale et Biologie Moleculaire, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Paris Cedex, France
Chronobiol Int 21:419-33. 2004..Mild hypoxia may therefore alter circadian structure and result in sleep disturbances. These results may explain in part the frequent complaints of prolonged post-flight fatigue after long flights, even when no time zones are crossed...