J P Bastard
- Elevated levels of interleukin 6 are reduced in serum and subcutaneous adipose tissue of obese women after weight lossJ P Bastard
Service de Biochimie, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3338-42. 2000..The reduced production and serum concentrations after weight loss could play a role in the improved sensitivity to insulin observed in these patients...
- Recent advances in the relationship between obesity, inflammation, and insulin resistanceJean Philippe Bastard
INSERM U680, Faculte de Medecine Pierre et Marie Curie, site Saint Antoine, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6 et Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon, AP HP, 75970 Paris Cedex 20, France
Eur Cytokine Netw 17:4-12. 2006..Thus, it can be considered that obesity corresponds to a sub-clinical inflammatory condition that promotes the production of pro-inflammatory factors involved in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance...
- Relationship between plasma plasminogen activator inhibitor 1 and insulin resistanceJ P Bastard
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon, Paris, France
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 16:192-201. 2000..These mechanisms may involve several metabolic disorders such as hyperinsulinemia, dyslipidemia, impaired glucose tolerance and hypertension, which would favor PAI-1 synthesis and release from different cell types...
- [Insulin resistance and adipose tissue gene expression in humans]J P Bastard
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon, 4, rue de la Chine, 75970 Paris
Ann Biol Clin (Paris) 62:25-31. 2004..These findings suggest that adipose tissue is involved in insulin resistance in humans particularly via adipocytokine secretion...
- What kind of simple fasting index should be used to estimate insulin sensitivity in humans?J P Bastard
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon AP HP, Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 29:285-8. 2003....
- Variations in plasma soluble tumour necrosis factor receptors after diet-induced weight loss in obesityJ P Bastard
Service de Biochimie, H pital de la Salpêtrière, Paris, France
Diabetes Obes Metab 2:323-5. 2000..5 kg), this result supports the emerging concept that adipose tissue can produce significant amounts of sTNFR-I and that this production can be modified by weight loss in human obesity...
- Adipose tissue IL-6 content correlates with resistance to insulin activation of glucose uptake both in vivo and in vitroJean Philippe Bastard
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hôpital Tenon Rothschild, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris AP HP, 75020 Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:2084-9. 2002..In conclusion, increased IL-6 production by sc adipose cells might participate to the insulin-resistant state observed in human obesity...
- Systemic low-grade inflammation is related to both circulating and adipose tissue TNFalpha, leptin and IL-6 levels in obese womenM Maachi
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon, AP HP, France
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 28:993-7. 2004..We assessed the relationships between four circulating acute phase proteins and the circulating and adipose tissue levels of three adipocytokines...
- Increased adiponectin receptor-1 expression in adipose tissue of impaired glucose-tolerant obese subjects during weight lossM J Kim
INSERM U 680, Faculte de Medecine, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, 75012 Paris, France
Eur J Endocrinol 155:161-5. 2006....
- Subcutaneous adipose tissue expression of plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 gene during very low calorie diet in obese subjectsJ P Bastard
Service de Biochimie, Hopital de la Salpetriere, AP HP, Paris
Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 24:70-4. 2000..To determine whether changes in subcutaneous adipose tissue plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 (PAI-1) expression influence plasma PAI-1 level during weight loss in obese humans...
- Subcutaneous adipose tissue expression of tumour necrosis factor-alpha is not associated with whole body insulin resistance in obese nondiabetic or in type-2 diabetic subjectsH A Koistinen
Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland Hôpital de la Salpétrière, Paris, France
Eur J Clin Invest 30:302-10. 2000..In the second part of the study we examined the relationship between adipose tissue TNFalpha mRNA levels and BMI in 81 nondiabetic subjects spanning a wide range of BMIs...
- Relationship between the hyperinsulinemic-euglycaemic clamp and a new simple index assessing insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese postmenopausal womenJ P Bastard
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon, APHP, 75020 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 33:261-8. 2007..The purpose of this study was to compare assessment of insulin sensitivity from hyperinsulinemic euglycaemic (HIEG) clamp with indexes derived from fasting and oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT)...
- Evaluation of two new surrogate indices including parameters not using insulin to assess insulin sensitivity/resistance in non-diabetic postmenopausal women: a MONET group studyJ P Bastard
Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, Hopital Tenon, AP HP, 75020 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 38:258-63. 2012....
- Long-term treatment with interleukin-1beta induces insulin resistance in murine and human adipocytesC Lagathu
INSERM, U680, Université Pierre et Marie Curie UPMC Paris 6, Faculty of Medicine, 27 rue Chaligny, 75012, Paris, France
Diabetologia 49:2162-73. 2006..Adipose tissue inflammation has recently been implicated in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and is probably linked to high local levels of cytokines. IL1B, a proinflammatory cytokine, may participate in this alteration...
- Adipokines: the missing link between insulin resistance and obesityB Antuna-Puente
INSERM U680, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, 75012 Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 34:2-11. 2008....
- Surrogate indexes vs. euglycaemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp as an indicator of insulin resistance and cardiovascular risk factors in overweight and obese postmenopausal womenF M Malita
Department of Nutrition, Faculty of Medicine, University of Montreal, Montreal, Canada, and INSERM U680, Faculté de Médecine Saint Antoine et Service de Biochimie et Hormonologie, AP HP, Hopital Tenon, Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 32:251-5. 2006....
- Relevance of increased serum cystatin C to vascular alterations in obese childrenB Dubern
Institute of Cardiometabolism and Nutrition, Paris, France INSERM, Paris, France
Pediatr Obes 7:374-81. 2012..Epidemiological studies report a positive relationship between serum cystatin C and cardiovascular outcomes in adults. Here, we tested the relevance of cystatin C as a biomarker for early vascular alterations in severely obese children...
- Interpretation of circulating C-reactive protein levels in adults: body mass index and gender are a mustL Pieroni
Laboratoire de Biochimie B, Groupe Hospitalier Pitie Salpetriere, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Diabetes Metab 29:133-8. 2003..In the present study, we measured CRP in a healthy population with a wide range of BMI in order to appreciate the influence of overweight in the interpretation of CRP results in clinical use...
- Early increase of von Willebrand factor predicts adverse outcome in unstable coronary artery disease: beneficial effects of enoxaparin. French Investigators of the ESSENCE TrialG Montalescot
Department of Cardiology, Pitie Salpetriere Hospital, Paris, France
Circulation 98:294-9. 1998....
- Consequences of the diabetic status on the oxidant/antioxidant balanceD Bonnefont-Rousselot
Laboratoire de Biochemie, Hopital de la Salpetriere, Paris France
Diabetes Metab 26:163-76. 2000..The aim of this paper was to review the consequences of the diabetic status on the oxidant/antioxidant balance...
- Diseases of adipose tissue: genetic and acquired lipodystrophiesJ Capeau
INSERM U680, Saint Antoine Faculty of Medicine, Université Pierre et Marie Curie UPMC, Paris, France
Biochem Soc Trans 33:1073-7. 2005..Such syndromes help to understand the mechanisms involved in insulin resistance resulting from altered fat repartition and could benefit from insulin-sensitizing effects of lifestyle modifications or of specific medications...
- Association of acylated and nonacylated ghrelin with insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese postmenopausal womenDavid H St-Pierre
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3C 3J7
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:264-9. 2007....
- Point-counterpoint: Interleukin-6 does/does not have a beneficial role in insulin sensitivity and glucose homeostasisJean Philippe Bastard
J Appl Physiol 102:821-2; author reply 825. 2007
- Serum adipocytokines are related to lipodystrophy and metabolic disorders in HIV-infected men under antiretroviral therapyCorinne Vigouroux
INSERM U 402, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, Paris, France
AIDS 17:1503-11. 2003....
- Muscle and liver insulin resistance indexes derived from the oral glucose tolerance test: response to Abdul-Ghani et alJean Philippe Bastard
Diabetes Care 30:e83; author reply e84. 2007
- Some HIV antiretrovirals increase oxidative stress and alter chemokine, cytokine or adiponectin production in human adipocytes and macrophagesClaire Lagathu
INSERM, U680, Paris, France
Antivir Ther 12:489-500. 2007....
- Association of acylated ghrelin profiles with chronic inflammatory markers in overweight and obese postmenopausal women: a MONET studyDavid H St-Pierre
Departement de Nutrition, Universite de Montreal, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3T 1A8
Eur J Endocrinol 157:419-26. 2007....
- [Obesity, inflammation and insulin resistance: which role for adipokines]Barbara Antuna-Puente
INSERM U680, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6, Paris, France
Therapie 62:285-92. 2007..The release of adipokines by either adipocytes or adipose tissue-infiltrated macrophages leads to a chronic sub-inflammatory state that likely plays a major role in cardiovascular complications linked to obesity and insulin resistance...
- Cathepsin S, a novel biomarker of adiposity: relevance to atherogenesisSoraya Taleb
INSERM Avenir, Paris, France
FASEB J 19:1540-2. 2005..Since this enzyme has been implicated in the development of atherosclerotic lesions, we propose that cathepsin S represents a molecular link between obesity and atherosclerosis...
- A 6-month interruption of antiretroviral therapy improves adipose tissue function in HIV-infected patients: the ANRS EP29 Lipostop StudyMin Ji Kim
INSERM, U680, Paris, F 75012, France
Antivir Ther 12:1273-83. 2007..To examine the reversibility of adipose tissue alterations in HIV-infected patients after a 6-month interruption of antiretroviral therapy (ART)...
- Eicosapentaenoic acid induces mRNA expression of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gammaCécile Chambrier
INSERM U449 and Human Nutrition Research Center of Lyon, R Laennec Faculty of Medicine, Claude Bernard Lyon 1 University, France
Obes Res 10:518-25. 2002..To verify whether polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) can regulate the expression of the nuclear receptor peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma (PPARgamma) in human adipose tissue...
- Modified quantitative insulin sensitivity check index is better correlated to hyperinsulinemic glucose clamp than other fasting-based index of insulin sensitivity in different insulin-resistant statesRemi Rabasa-Lhoret
Human Nutrition Research Centre of Lyon, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon 69003, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:4917-23. 2003..However, QUICKI and revised QUICKI are good indexes that offer correlations similar to or higher than values obtained with log HOMA. Such indexes are simple tools to estimate insulin sensitivity appropriate for epidemiological studies...
- Altered fat differentiation and adipocytokine expression are inter-related and linked to morphological changes and insulin resistance in HIV-1-infected lipodystrophic patientsVéronique Jan
INSERM Research Unit 402, Faculty of Medicine Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Antivir Ther 9:555-64. 2004....
- [Relationship between obesity, inflammation and insulin resistance: new concepts]Bruno Feve
Inserm U693, université Paris 11 et service d endocrinologie, CHU de Bicetre, 63, rue Gabriel Péri, 94270 Le Kremlin Bicetre, France
C R Biol 329:587-97; discussion 653-5. 2006....
- Antiretroviral drugs with adverse effects on adipocyte lipid metabolism and survival alter the expression and secretion of proinflammatory cytokines and adiponectin in vitroClaire Lagathu
INSERM U402 and IFR65 Saint Antoine Faculty of Medicine and Biochemistry Department, Tenon Hospital, University Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
Antivir Ther 9:911-20. 2004..We examined the direct effects of individual antiretrovirals on lipid metabolism and cytokine and adiponectin production by cultured adipocytes...
- Chronic interleukin-6 (IL-6) treatment increased IL-6 secretion and induced insulin resistance in adipocyte: prevention by rosiglitazoneClaire Lagathu
INSERM U 402 and IFR65 Saint Antoine Faculty of Medicine, Paris, France
Biochem Biophys Res Commun 311:372-9. 2003..Finally, the effects of IL-6 could be prevented by rosiglitazone, an insulin-sensitizing agent. Thus, IL-6 may play an important role in the set-up of insulin resistance in adipose cell...
- Patterns of proteinuria: urinary sodium dodecyl sulfate electrophoresis versus immunonephelometric protein marker measurement followed by interpretation with the knowledge-based system MDI-LabLinkMustapha Maachi
INSERM Research Unit 402, Faculty of Medicine Saint Antoine, University Pierre and Marie Curie, Paris, France
Clin Chem 50:1834-7. 2004
- HIV antiretroviral treatment alters adipokine expression and insulin sensitivity of adipose tissue in vitro and in vivoClaire Lagathu
Inserm U 680 and IFR65, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, 27, rue Chaligny, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Biochimie 87:65-71. 2005..Therefore, they could be involved in whole body insulin resistance and metabolic alterations in lipodystrophic HIV-1-infected patients...
- Suppressor of cytokine signaling 3 expression and insulin resistance in skeletal muscle of obese and type 2 diabetic patientsJennifer Rieusset
INSERM U449 INRA U1235, Faculté de Médecine René Laennec, Rue G Paradin, F 69372 Lyon, Cedex 08, France
Diabetes 53:2232-41. 2004....
- Gene expression profiling of human skeletal muscle in response to stabilized weight lossDominique Larrouy
INSERM, U858, Obesity Research Laboratory, Institut de Medecine Moleculaire de Rangueil, Toulouse, France
Am J Clin Nutr 88:125-32. 2008..Whether this reduction remains after stabilized weight loss is still controversial, and the molecular mechanisms are unknown...
- Effect of pioglitazone on HIV-1-related lipodystrophy: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial (ANRS 113)Laurence Slama
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, Tenon Hospital, Paris, F 75020 France
Antivir Ther 13:67-76. 2008..Although thiazolidinediones have been shown to increase subcutaneous fat in congenital lipodystrophy, rosiglitazone did not show convincing results in HIV lipoatrophy. We assess a potential specific effect of pioglitazone in this setting...
- The metabolically healthy but obese individual presents a favorable inflammation profileAntony D Karelis
Department of Nutrition, University of Montreal, 2405 Chemin Cote Ste Catherine, Pavillon Liliane de Stewart, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1A8
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4145-50. 2005..The purpose of this study was to investigate the inflammatory state in obese women displaying the "metabolically healthy but obese" (MHO) phenotype...
- Altered hepatic expression of SREBP-1 and PPARgamma is associated with liver injury in insulin-resistant lipodystrophic HIV-infected patientsMaud Lemoine
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculte de Medecine, Paris, F 75012 France
AIDS 20:387-95. 2006..Here, we examined whether their expression was modified and related to liver injury in HIV-infected patients...
- Adiponutrin: A new gene regulated by energy balance in human adipose tissueYong Ming Liu
Equipe d Accueil 3502 and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM Avenir and Department de Nutrition, Paris VI University, Paris, France
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:2684-9. 2004..These results indicate that adiponutrin gene expression in humans is highly regulated by changes in energy balance...
- [Lipodystrophies related to antiretroviral treatment of HIV infection]Jacqueline Capeau
INSERM U680, Faculté de Médecine et Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Hopital Tenon AP HP, 27, rue Chaligny, 75012 Paris, France
Med Sci (Paris) 22:531-6. 2006..The treatment of lipodystrophy remains difficult and, at present, privileges the switch of the more deleterious drugs towards new molecules less aggressive for adipose tissue...
- Inappropriately low glycated hemoglobin values and hemolysis in HIV-infected patientsMarie Emilienne Diop
AP HP, Hopital Tenon, Service de biochimie et d hormonologie, and Université Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, Faculte de Medecine, F 75020 France
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 22:1242-7. 2006..Self-monitoring of blood glucose and search for latent hemolysis should be promoted in diabetic HIV-infected patients...
- [Lipodystrophic syndromes: congenital or acquired diseases of adipose tissue]Jacqueline Capeau
INSERM, U680, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, site Saint Antoine, Faculte de Medecine, 27, rue Chaligny, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
C R Biol 329:639-52; discussion 653-5. 2006..Acquired forms are common and regroup the highly prevalent Metabolic Syndrome, hypercorticism together with lipodystrophy related to antiretroviral treatment of HIV-infected patients...