- Reducing the spread of Acinetobacter baumannii and methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus on a burns unit through the intervention of an infection control bundleFrederic Barbut
Saint Antoine Hospital, Paris, France
Burns 39:395-403. 2013..The infection control bundle resulted in a significant reduction in the incidence of nosocomial MRSA and A. baumannii in our burns unit and prevented further outbreaks of these organisms...
- New molecular methods for the diagnosis of Clostridium difficile infectionsF Barbut
National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Paris, France
Drugs Today (Barc) 48:673-84. 2012..In particular, these tests again raise the crucial question of the clinical significance of the presence of a toxigenic strain without any free toxin in stools...
- Activity in vitro of hydrogen peroxide vapour against Clostridium difficile sporesF Barbut
National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
J Hosp Infect 80:85-7. 2012..C. difficile was completely eradicated from the exposed carriers regardless of the C. difficile strain or surface used. HPV can be considered for the eradication of C. difficile spores from the hospital environment...
- Comparison of the efficacy of a hydrogen peroxide dry-mist disinfection system and sodium hypochlorite solution for eradication of Clostridium difficile sporesF Barbut
National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 30:507-14. 2009..To compare a hydrogen peroxide dry-mist system and a 0.5% hypochlorite solution with respect to their ability to disinfect Clostridium difficile-contaminated surfaces in vitro and in situ...
- Rapid diagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection by multiplex real-time PCRF Barbut
National Reference Laboratory for C difficile, Paris VI University, Paris, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 30:1279-85. 2011..59%, 97.43%, 78.02%, and 98.57%, respectively, for the real-time PCR and 70.73%, 100%, 100%, and 97.08%, respectively, for the cytotoxicity assay...
- Epidemiology and control of Clostridium difficile infections in healthcare settings: an updateFrederic Barbut
National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Pierre et Marie Curie University, Hopital Saint Antoine, UHLIN, site Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Curr Opin Infect Dis 24:370-6. 2011..The objectives of this review are to highlight the recent epidemiological data and to provide an overview of the current knowledge of infection control measures...
- Prospective study of Clostridium difficile infections in Europe with phenotypic and genotypic characterisation of the isolatesF Barbut
Microbiology Unit, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:1048-57. 2007..Ongoing epidemiological surveillance of cases of CDAD, with periodic characterisation of the strains involved, is required to detect clustering of cases in time and space and to monitor the emergence of specific highly virulent clones...
- A European survey of diagnostic methods and testing protocols for Clostridium difficileF Barbut
Laboratory of Microbiology, Center Hospitalier Universitaire Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 9:989-96. 2003..To conduct a survey of the methods used in clinical microbiology laboratories in Europe to diagnose infection with Clostridium difficile...
- Development of a new PCR-ribotyping method for Clostridium difficile based on ribosomal RNA gene sequencingP Bidet
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
FEMS Microbiol Lett 175:261-6. 1999..This typing method has evidenced major qualities such as easiness, rapidity and reproducibility. However, its discriminatory power has to be evaluated to validate its importance as a typing tool for C. difficile...
- Antimicrobial susceptibilities and serogroups of clinical strains of Clostridium difficile isolated in France in 1991 and 1997F Barbut
Department of Microbiology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Paris VI, Paris 12, France
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 43:2607-11. 1999..Periodic studies are needed in order to detect changes in serogroups and the emergence of strains with decreased susceptibility to therapeutic drugs...
- Usefulness of simultaneous detection of toxin A and glutamate dehydrogenase for the diagnosis of Clostridium difficile-associated diseasesF Barbut
Service de Bacteriologie Virologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 19:481-4. 2000..6%). Triage is a very rapid (20 min) and easy-to-perform test. It could be useful for diagnostic purposes and also for detecting nontoxigenic strains in epidemiogical studies...
- Comparison of PCR-ribotyping, arbitrarily primed PCR, and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis for typing Clostridium difficileP Bidet
Laboratoire de Bacteriologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, Centre Hospitalo Universitaire Saint Antoine, Universite Paris 6, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 38:2484-7. 2000..We conclude that PCR-ribotyping offers the best combination of advantages as an initial typing tool for C. difficile...
- [Epidemiology, risk factors and prevention of Clostridium difficile nosocomial infections]F Barbut
Unité d hygiène et de lutte contre les infections nosocomiales UHLNIN, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris, 12, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 48:745-55. 2000..C. difficile is a common cause of infectious diarrhea and should be therefore systematically investigated in patients with nosocomial diarrhea...
- Epidemiology of recurrences or reinfections of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrheaF Barbut
Department of Microbiology, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 38:2386-8. 2000..The results showed that 48.4% of clinical recurrences were, in fact, reinfections with a different strain of C. difficile. Rates of clinical recurrences could therefore be reduced by implementing strict isolation precautions...
- Outbreak of Clostridium difficile-related diarrhoea in an adult oncology unit: risk factors and microbiological characteristicsE Blot
Department of Microbiology, Saint Antoine Hospital, Paris, France
J Hosp Infect 53:187-92. 2003..Serotyping and genotyping showed that several strains were involved in this outbreak, with only two instances of patient-to-patient transmission, involving four and two patients...
- Comparison of a commercially available repetitive-element PCR system (DiversiLab) with PCR ribotyping for typing of clostridium difficile strainsC Eckert
ER8, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France
J Clin Microbiol 49:3352-4. 2011..rep-PCR showed a higher discriminatory power than PCR ribotyping. Nevertheless, this method requires technical skill, and visual interpretation of rep-PCR fingerprint patterns may be difficult...
- [Role of the microbiology laboratory in the diagnosis of nosocomial diarrhea]D Decre
Service de Microbiologie, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris, 12, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 48:733-44. 2000..Various typing methods have been developed and may be routinely used in epidemiological investigations...
- Antibiotic-associated diarrhoea and Clostridium difficile in the communityL Beaugerie
Department of Gastroenterology, Saint Antoine Medical Faculty, Université Paris VI and Assistance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:905-12. 2003..The involvement of C. difficile infection in antibiotic-associated diarrhoea in the community is poorly documented...
- Epidemiology of Clostridium difficile-associated infectionsF Barbut
Research Group on Clostridium difficile, Center Hospitalo-Universitaire Saint-Antoine, , , Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 7:405-10. 2001..C. difficile is a common cause of infectious diarrhea and should be therefore systematically investigated in patients with nosocomial diarrhea...
- [Totally implantable venous access ports: frequency of complications and analysis of bacterial contamination after ablation]F Barbut
Unite d Hygiene et de Lutte contre les Infections Nosocomiales, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184, rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75012 Paris, France
Pathol Biol (Paris) 52:566-74. 2004..Implantation and use of these devices are each associated with infectious or mechanical complications...
- Comparative value of colonic biopsy and intraluminal fluid culture for diagnosis of bacterial acute colitis in immunocompetent patients. Infectious Colitis Study GroupF Barbut
Department of Microbiology, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Clin Infect Dis 29:356-60. 1999..Culture of biopsy specimens adds little to the diagnosis of infectious colitis, and stools and intraluminal fluids appear to have comparable value...
- Contamination of healthcare workers' hands with Clostridium difficile spores after caring for patients with C. difficile infectionC Landelle
Infection Control Unit, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire CHU Albert Chenevier Henri Mondor, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Université Paris Est Créteil, France
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 35:10-5. 2014..We determined the percentage of healthcare workers' (HCWs') hands contaminated with Clostridium difficile spores after caring for patients with C. difficile infection (CDI) and risk factors associated with contamination...
- Curbing methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in 38 French hospitals through a 15-year institutional control programVincent Jarlier
Université Pierre et Marie Curie Hôpital Pitié Salpêtrière, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
Arch Intern Med 170:552-9. 2010..In the late 1980s, the proportion of methicillin resistance among clinical strains of Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) reached approximately 40% at AP-HP...
- Nosocomial infections and hospital mortality: a multicentre epidemiology studyB Kaoutar
Regional Center for Nosocomial Infection Control, Paris, France
J Hosp Infect 58:268-75. 2004..To improve healthcare quality, further studies are needed to elucidate the processes that may contribute to fatal severe NI...
- Does a rapid diagnosis of Clostridium difficile infection impact on quality of patient management?F Barbut
UPMC Universite Paris 06, Paris, France Department of Microbiology, AP HP, Hopital Saint Antoine, Paris, France National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Paris, France
Clin Microbiol Infect 20:136-44. 2014..5 days and 1.0 ± 1.8 days vs. 2.0 ± 1.7 days). The empirical therapy among patients without CDI decreased from 13.6% during P1 to 6.4% during P2 and 5.6% during P3. A rapid CDI diagnosis impacts positively on patient care. ..
- A monthly systematic bacteriological report improves accuracy of identification of hospital-acquired infections in an ICUJ L Baudel
Service de Reanimation Medicale, Hopital Saint Antoine, Assistance Publique, Hopitaux de Paris, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, 75 571 Paris Cedex 12, France
J Hosp Infect 53:14-7. 2003..We conclude that the routine HAI surveillance programme is reliable, except for the last 48 h in the ICU. The monthly bacteriological report improved the accuracy of the HAI reporting rate...
- First cluster of C. difficile toxinotype III, PCR-ribotype 027 associated disease in France: preliminary reportM Tachon
Centre Hospitalier, Valenciennes, France
Euro Surveill 11:E060504.1. 2006
- Emergence of Clostridium difficile toxinotype III, PCR-ribotype 027-associated disease, France, 2006B Coignard
Département Maladies Infectieuses, Institut de Veille Sanitaire, Saint Maurice, France
Euro Surveill 11:E060914.1. 2006
- Update of Clostridium difficile-associated disease due to PCR ribotype 027 in EuropeE J Kuijper
National Reference Laboratory for Clostridium difficile, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Euro Surveill 12:E1-2. 2007..Preliminary data indicated that type 027 was already present in historical isolates collected in Sweden between 1997 and 2001...
- [Update on Clostridium difficile infections]K Blanckaert
Centre de coordination de la lutte contre les infections nosocomicales Paris Nord, 15, rue de l Ecole de Medecine, 75006 Paris, France
Rev Med Interne 29:209-14. 2008..This paper will review the main knowledge on C. difficile-associated infections and their recent evolution...
- Fluoroquinolone resistance in Clostridium difficile isolates from a prospective study of C. difficile infections in EuropePatrizia Spigaglia
1Department of Infectious, Parasitic and Immune Mediated Diseases, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
J Med Microbiol 57:784-9. 2008....
- [Clostridium difficile infections: an unexpected re-emergence]F Barbut
Pathol Biol (Paris) 56:6-9. 2008
- Infection control measures to limit the spread of Clostridium difficileR P Vonberg
Institute for Medical Microbiology and Hospital Epidemiology, Medical School Hannover, Hannover, Germany
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:2-20. 2008..Existing local protocols and practices for the control of C. difficile should be carefully reviewed and modified if necessary...