- [Depression and circadian rhythm]J M Azorin
Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, 270, Bld Sainte Marguerite, 13274 Marseille Cedex 9
Encephale 35:S68-71. 2009..The question determining whether these adverse changes are a cause or effect of depressive behaviour is unresolved...
- Evaluation of patients on sertindole treatment after failure of other antipsychotics: a retrospective analysisJean Michel Azorin
Department of Psychiatry, CHU Sainte Marguerite, Marseilles, France
BMC Psychiatry 8:16. 2008..The purpose of this study was to determine if a subset of patients with psychotic illness exists which particularly benefits from sertindole treatment after failure of other antipsychotic drugs, including atypical antipsychotics...
- The mood-instability hypothesis in the origin of mood-congruent versus mood-incongruent psychotic distinction in mania: validation in a French National Study of 1090 patientsJean Michel Azorin
Ste Marguerite Hospital, University of Marseilles, Marseilles, France
J Affect Disord 96:215-23. 2006..Although included in successive editions of the DSM since its introduction in the IIIrd, the subtyping of manic episode into 'with mood-congruent (MCP) versus mood-incongruent (MIP) psychotic features' is yet to be fully validated...
- A double-blind, controlled study of sertindole versus risperidone in the treatment of moderate-to-severe schizophreniaJean Michel Azorin
Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Service de Psychiatrie, Marseille, France
Int Clin Psychopharmacol 21:49-56. 2006..05). In conclusion, sertindole was well tolerated and demonstrated clinically relevant efficacy advantages over risperidone...
- [From psychotic to bipolar disorders]J-M Azorin
, Service de Psychiatrie Adulte, 270 boulevard Sainte Marguerite, Marseille Cedex 9
Encephale 34:S127-9. 2008
- Is psychosis in DSM-IV mania due to severity? The relevance of selected demographic and comorbid social-phobic featuresJ M Azorin
Ste Marguerite Hospital, University of Marseilles, Marseilles, France
Acta Psychiatr Scand 115:29-34. 2007..We tested whether factors other than episode severity contributed to psychosis in mania...
- Body mass index and prevalence of obesity in a French cohort of patients with schizophreniaF Limosin
Department of Psychiatry, University of Reims, Reims, France
Acta Psychiatr Scand 118:19-25. 2008..To evaluate the distributions of body mass index in a large sample of patients with schizophrenia, and to examine the association between body weight and antipsychotic drugs...
- [Who is Called "Schizophrenic"?]Jean Michel Azorin
pôle universitaire de psychiatrie, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Therapie 63:231-5. 2008..Taking these approaches into account, at a time when naturalistic models of the illness are prevailing, is far from being of no consequence, as far as the effectiveness of our therapeutic actions is at issue...
- Factors associated with rapid cycling in bipolar I manic patients: findings from a French national studyJean Michel Azorin
University of Aix Marseille II, and Department of Adult Psychiatry, Sainte Marguerite Hospital, Marseille Cedex 09, France
CNS Spectr 13:780-7. 2008..Despite numerous explanatory hypotheses, few studies have involved a large national clinical sample examining risk factors in the occurrence of rapid cycling during the course of bipolar illness...
- Validation of a severity threshold for the Mania Rating Scale: a receiver-operating characteristic analysisJean Michel Azorin
Sainte Marguerite Hospital, University of Marseilles, Marseilles, France
Psychopathology 40:453-60. 2007..The aim of this study was to determine a cutoff score on the Mania Rating Scale (MRS), which easily allows identification of severe mania in a population of manic patients to be included in clinical trials of antimanic drugs...
- Rates and correlates of employment in people with schizophrenia in the UK, France and GermanySteven Marwaha
Department of Mental Health Sciences, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, 48 Riding House Street, London W1W 7EY, UK, and Psychiatrie Adultes, Hospital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Br J Psychiatry 191:30-7. 2007..Little is known about international variations in employment rates among people with schizophrenia or about the factors associated with employment in this disorder...
- Schizophrenia: two-faced meaning of vulnerabilityJean Michel Azorin
Department of Psychiatry, Ste Marguerite Hospital, Marseille, France
Am J Med Genet 114:921-2. 2002..Coping strategies and resilience are core concepts of the humanistic model. Research on these protective factors may be of major importance in the current debate on prevention in schizophrenia...
- The cyclothymic temperament in healthy controls and familially at risk individuals for mood disorder: endophenotype for genetic studies?Pierre Chiaroni
Service de Psychiatrie, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Bd Sainte Marguerite, 13009 Marseille, France
J Affect Disord 85:135-45. 2005..As bipolar disorder is a familial illness, an examination of cyclothymic temperament (CT) in controls and relatives of bipolar patients is of major relevance...
- [Assessment of the notion of remission in schizophrenia]J-M Azorin
, 270, boulevard Sainte-Marguerite, 13274 Marseille Cedex 9
Encephale 31:S7-10. 2005
- [Criteria defining antimanic drugs (psychopharmacological specificity and/or nonspecificity?)]J M Azorin
SHU de Psychiatrie Adultes, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, 270, boulevard de Sainte Marguerite, 13274 Marseille Cedex 9, France
Encephale 29:59-67. 2003..This specificity could concern a whole spectrum of bipolarity which might be characterized by impulsivity...
- Blunted activation in right ventrolateral prefrontal cortex during motor response inhibition in schizophreniaArthur Kaladjian
Equipe Imagerie Cérébrale en Psychiatrie, CNRS, IFR 131, Marseille, France
Schizophr Res 97:184-93. 2007....
- [Selecting material to develop an emotional Stroop test adapted to schizophrenia and bipolar disorders]Nathalie Besnier
Service du Pr Azorin, SHU de Psychiatrie Adultes, Hopital Sainte Marguerite, Marseille, France
Can J Psychiatry 53:177-88. 2008..This study aims to develop a version of the emotional Stroop test adapted to paranoid schizophrenia and bipolar disorder...
- The European sertindole safety and exposure survey: a follow-up study of 8600 patientsJoseph Peuskens
University Psychiatric Centre, Campus St Jozef Kortenberg, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Leuven, Belgium
Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 16:804-11. 2007..A regulatory signal suggested that sertindole was associated with a 10-fold increased risk of death. This observational study aimed to identify deaths and their causes in patients treated with sertindole...
- Correlates of subjective quality of life in people with schizophrenia: findings from the EuroSC studySteven Marwaha
Department of Mental Health Sciences, Royal Free and University College London Medical School, University College London, London, United Kingdom
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:87-94. 2008..Differences in mental health service provision in the United Kingdom and Germany may in part explain variations in the QOL of people with schizophrenia resident there...
- A prospective study of Quality of life in schizophrenia in three European countriesDirk Heider
Department of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Johannisalle 20, 04317 Leipzig, Germany
Schizophr Res 93:194-202. 2007..However, changes in individual's characteristics and circumstances did not relate as strongly as expected to changes in QoL, suggesting effective intervention may be difficult...
- Residential area and social contacts in schizophrenia. Results from the European Schizophrenia Cohort (EuroSC)Georg Schomerus
Dept of Psychiatry, Leipzig University, Johannisallee 20, 04317, Leipzig, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 42:617-22. 2007..Social isolation is associated with poor prognosis in schizophrenia. We aim to determine the effect of rural or urban residence on frequency of social and family contacts...
- The architecture of cognitive control in schizophreniaValerian Chambon
Centre de Neuroscience Cognitive, Universite de Lyon, Lyon, France
Brain 131:962-70. 2008....
- The European Schizophrenia Cohort (EuroSC): a naturalistic prognostic and economic studyPaul E Bebbington
Dept Mental Health Sciences Bloomsbury Campus, Royal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, London, W1W 7EY, UK
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:707-17. 2005..Secondary objectives include the assessment of treatment needs in relation to outcome, the calculation of resource consumption associated with different methods of care, and the identification of prognostic factors...
- Burden on caregivers of people with schizophrenia: comparison between Germany and BritainChristiane Roick
Department of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Leipzig, Germany
Br J Psychiatry 190:333-8. 2007..Burden on the relatives of patients with schizophrenia may be influenced not only by patient and caregiver characteristics, but also by differences in mental health service provision...
- Validating antidepressant-associated hypomania (bipolar III): a systematic comparison with spontaneous hypomania (bipolar II)Hagop S Akiskal
International Mood Center, University of California at San Diego and VA Psychiatry Service (116-A, 3350 La Jolla Village Drive, San Diego, CA 92161, USA
J Affect Disord 73:65-74. 2003..These considerations argue for revisions of DSM-IV and ICD-10 conventions. BP-HAA may represent a genetically less penetrant expression of BP-II; phenotypically; it might provisionally be categorized as bipolar III...