- Can highly active antiretroviral therapy reduce the spread of HIV?: A study in a township of South AfricaBertran Auvert
INSERM U88 IFR 69, Saint Maurice, France
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 36:613-21. 2004....
- HIV infection among youth in a South African mining town is associated with herpes simplex virus-2 seropositivity and sexual behaviourB Auvert
INSERM U88, Saint Maurice, France
AIDS 15:885-98. 2001..To determine the seroprevalence of HIV and herpes simplex virus-2 (HSV-2) by age and gender among young people aged 14--24 years in a South African town and to identify risk factors for HIV infection...
- Ecological and individual level analysis of risk factors for HIV infection in four urban populations in sub-Saharan Africa with different levels of HIV infectionB Auvert
INSERM U88, AP HP, A Paré, Saint Maurice, France
AIDS 15:S15-30. 2001..To identify factors that could explain differences in rate of spread of HIV between different regions in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Male circumcision and HIV infection in four cities in sub-Saharan AfricaB Auvert
INSERM U88, AP HP, A Paré, France
AIDS 15:S31-40. 2001..To explore the role of male circumcision in the spread of HIV infection in four urban populations in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Condom use and its association with HIV/sexually transmitted diseases in four urban communities of sub-Saharan AfricaE Lagarde
INSERM U88, AP HP, A Paré, Paris, France
AIDS 15:S71-8. 2001..To estimate rates of condom use in four urban populations in sub-Saharan Africa and to assess their association with levels of HIV infection and other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)...
- Educational level is associated with condom use within non-spousal partnerships in four cities of sub-Saharan AfricaE Lagarde
INSERM U88, Hopital National de Saint Maurice, France
AIDS 15:1399-408. 2001..Rates of condom use in sub-Saharan Africa have remained too low to curb HIV/sexually transmitted disease (STD) epidemics. A better understanding of the main determinants of condom use would aid promotion...
- Type of partnership and heterosexual spread of HIV infection in rural Uganda: results from simulation modellingN J Robinson
INSERM Unit 88, Saint Maurice, France
Int J STD AIDS 10:718-25. 1999..At a later phase, prevention must also focus on control of transmission between longer-term HIV-discordant partners...
- HIV infection, antiretroviral therapy, and CD4+ cell count distributions in African populationsBrian G Williams
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva 1211 CH 1211, Switzerland
J Infect Dis 194:1450-8. 2006....
- The potential impact of male circumcision on HIV in Sub-Saharan AfricaBrian G Williams
World Health Organization, Stop TB Department, Geneva, Switzerland
PLoS Med 3:e262. 2006..We explore the implications of this finding for the promotion of MC as a public health intervention to control HIV in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Randomized, controlled intervention trial of male circumcision for reduction of HIV infection risk: the ANRS 1265 TrialBertran Auvert
Hopital Ambroise Pare, Assitance Publique Hôpitaux de Paris, Boulogne, France
PLoS Med 2:e298. 2005..Observational studies suggest that male circumcision may provide protection against HIV-1 infection. A randomized, controlled intervention trial was conducted in a general population of South Africa to test this hypothesis...
- Changing patterns of knowledge, reported behaviour and sexually transmitted infections in a South African gold mining communityBrian G Williams
16 rue de la Canonniere, Geneva 1202, Switzerland
AIDS 17:2099-107. 2003..This included community-based peer education, condom distribution, syndromic management of sexually transmitted infections (STI), and presumptive STI treatment for sex workers...
- Assessment of radiological referral practice and effect of computer-based guidelines on radiological requests in two emergency departmentsMatthieu Carton
INSERM U88, Saint Maurice, France
Clin Radiol 57:123-8. 2002..To assess medical emergency radiology referral practice compared with a set of French guidelines and to measure the efficiency of computer-based guidelines on unnecessary medical imaging...
- Response to Ronald Gray, Male circumcision and HIV acquisition and transmission: cohort studies in Rakai, Uganda ( 2000, 14:2371-2381)Daniel T Halperin
AIDS 16:810-2; author reply 809-10. 2002
- Cost-effectiveness of male circumcision for HIV prevention in a South African settingJames G Kahn
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, California, United States of America
PLoS Med 3:e517. 2006..The objective of this study is to present the first cost-effectiveness analysis of the use of MC as an intervention to reduce the spread of HIV in sub-Saharan Africa...
- The HIV/AIDS epidemic in Cuba: description and tentative explanation of its low HIV prevalenceHector de Arazoza
Facultad de Matematica y Computacion, Universidad de La Habana, La Habana, Cuba
BMC Infect Dis 7:130. 2007..The Cuban HIV/AIDS epidemic has the lowest prevalence rate of the Caribbean region. The objective of this paper is to give an overview of the HIV/AIDS epidemic in Cuba and to explore the reasons for this low prevalence...
- [Male circumcision: hope for HIV infection decrease in southern Africa]Camille Legeai
Unite d Epidemiologie, Hopital Ambroise Pare, 9, avenue du General de Gaulle, 92100 Boulogne Billancourt, France
Med Sci (Paris) 24:499-504. 2008..At the same time, research goes on in order to know more about the effects and to facilitate the generalization of this prevention mean which is a great hope for southern Africa...