- Tandem autologous stem cell transplantation in high-risk de novo multiple myeloma: final results of the prospective and randomized IFM 99-04 protocolPhilippe Moreau
Hematology Department, University Hospital Hotel Dieu, Place Alexis Ricordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Blood 107:397-403. 2006..39). In high-risk patients the dose intensity of melphalan at 420 mg/m2 led to encouraging results, but the addition of anti-IL-6 monoclonal antibody to the second conditioning regimen did not improve either OS nor EFS...
- Maintenance therapy with thalidomide improves survival in patients with multiple myelomaMichel Attal
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Purpan, Place du Dr Baylac, 31059 Toulouse, France
Blood 108:3289-94. 2006..4). Thalidomide is an effective maintenance therapy in patients with multiple myeloma. Maintenance treatment with pamidronate does not decrease the incidence of bone events...
- Lenalidomide maintenance after stem-cell transplantation for multiple myelomaMichel Attal
Department of Hematology, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
N Engl J Med 366:1782-91. 2012..Residual disease is almost always present after transplantation and is responsible for relapse. This phase 3, placebo-controlled trial investigated the efficacy of lenalidomide maintenance therapy after transplantation...
- The role of high-dose therapy with autologous stem cell support in the era of novel agentsMichel Attal
Centre Hospitalier de Purpan, Toulouse, France
Semin Hematol 46:127-32. 2009..Finally, the issue of HDT in the era of new drug regimens is discussed, as well as the necessity of designing future trials comparing HDT and new drug regimens...
- Single versus double autologous stem-cell transplantation for multiple myelomaMichel Attal
Department of Hematology and Biostatistics, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
N Engl J Med 349:2495-502. 2003..We conducted a randomized trial of the treatment of multiple myeloma with high-dose chemotherapy followed by either one or two successive autologous stem-cell transplantations...
- Bortezomib and high-dose melphalan as conditioning regimen before autologous stem cell transplantation in patients with de novo multiple myeloma: a phase 2 study of the Intergroupe Francophone du Myelome (IFM)Murielle Roussel
Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
Blood 115:32-7. 2010..Randomized studies are needed to assess whether this conditioning regimen is superior to HDM alone. This trial was registered at www.clinicaltrials.gov as NCT00642395...
- Firstline treatment and maintenance in newly diagnosed multiple myeloma patientsMurielle Roussel
Hématologie Clinique, CHU Purpan, Toulouse, France
Recent Results Cancer Res 183:189-206. 2011..Melphalan-prednisone-thalidomide and bortezomib-melphalan-prednisone are the two standards of care. Current trials are challenging the role of alkylators in the frontline setting. Maintenance therapy is also undergoing evaluation...
- Melphalan and prednisone plus thalidomide versus melphalan and prednisone alone or reduced-intensity autologous stem cell transplantation in elderly patients with multiple myeloma (IFM 99-06): a randomised trialThierry Facon
Service d Hematologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Lille, France
Lancet 370:1209-18. 2007..We assessed whether the addition of thalidomide to this combination, or reduced-intensity stem cell transplantation, would improve survival...
- Comparison of 200 mg/m(2) melphalan and 8 Gy total body irradiation plus 140 mg/m(2) melphalan as conditioning regimens for peripheral blood stem cell transplantation in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma: final analysis of the Intergroupe FraPhilippe Moreau
Service d Hematologie, University Hospital Hotel Dieu, Place Alexis Recordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Blood 99:731-5. 2002..This regimen should be considered as the standard of care before autologous stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma...
- Higher incidence of relapse in patients with acute myelocytic leukemia infused with higher doses of CD34+ cells from leukapheresis products autografted during the first remissionNorbert Claude Gorin
Department of Hematology, Hopital Saint Antoine, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Blood 116:3157-62. 2010..72; 95% confidence interval, 0.55-0.93; P = .01). In conclusion, in patients autografted in first remission, relapse was higher and leukemia-free survival lower for those who received the highest CD34(+) PB doses...
- Bioactivity and prognostic significance of growth differentiation factor GDF15 secreted by bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in multiple myelomaJill Corre
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, U1037, Toulouse, France
Cancer Res 72:1395-406. 2012....
- Higher incidence of relapse with peripheral blood rather than marrow as a source of stem cells in adults with acute myelocytic leukemia autografted during the first remissionNorbert Claude Gorin
Hopital Saint Antoine, Department of Hematology, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 27:3987-93. 2009..In acute myelocytic leukemia (AML), for patients who receive transplants during first complete remission (CR1), no prospective randomized study has compared relapse incidence (RI) to cell source...
- Identical outcome after autologous or allogeneic genoidentical hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation in first remission of acute myelocytic leukemia carrying inversion 16 or t(8;21): a retrospective study from the European Cooperative Group for Blood anNorbert Claude Gorin
Department of Hematology, Hopital Saint Antoine and Université Pierre et Marie Curie UPMC, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, Cedex 12 Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 26:3183-8. 2008..They presently do not undergo transplantation in first remission (CR1), but there is concern about late relapses...
- Role of autologous stem-cell transplantation in multiple myelomaMichel Attal
Hematology Department, Centre Hospitalier de Purpan, Place du Dr Baylac, 31059 Toulouse, France
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 20:747-59. 2007..This article will focus on the current results of ASCT and will discuss the main research area to try to improve this strategy...
- Intensive conventional chemotherapy (ACVBP regimen) compared with standard CHOP for poor-prognosis aggressive non-Hodgkin lymphomaHerve Tilly
Department of Hematology, Centre Henri Becquerel, 76038 Rouen, France
Blood 102:4284-9. 2003..004). Despite higher toxicity, the ACVBP regimen, used as first-line treatment for patients with poor-risk aggressive lymphoma, is superior to standard CHOP with regard to both event-free survival and overall survival...
- Predictive factors for outcomes after reduced intensity conditioning hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for hematological malignancies: a 10-year retrospective analysis from the Société Française de Greffe de Moelle et de Thérapie CellulaireMauricette Michallet
Service d Hematologie, Hopital Edouard Herriot, Lyon, France
Exp Hematol 36:535-44. 2008..In conclusion, this study highlights the major impact on RIC HSCT outcome of disease status before transplantation, ATG dose and ABO incompatibility...
- Stem-cell transplantation in multiple myelomaJean Luc Harousseau
Department of Hematology, Hotel Dieu, Nantes, France
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 18:603-18. 2005..The results of allogeneic SCT remain disappointing due to a high transplant mortality. Strategies combining ASCT and reduced-intensity allogeneic SCT are currently being studied...
- High-dose therapy in multiple myelomaJean Luc Harousseau
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Service d Hematologie, Place Alexis Ricordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Hematol J 4:163-70. 2003
- Dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and biochemical markers of bone turnover after autologous stem cell transplantation in myelomaMichel Laroche
Service de Rhumatologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Purpan, Toulouse, France
Eur J Haematol 88:388-95. 2012..To evaluate the effect of high-dose chemotherapy (HDT) followed by autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT) on bone turnover and bone mineral density in a cohort of 39 consecutive patients with multiple myeloma (MM)...
- The role of stem cell transplantation in multiple myelomaJean Luc Harousseau
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Service d Hematologie, Place Alexis Ricordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Blood Rev 16:245-53. 2002..Therefore, the objectives of current studies is to reduce transplant related mortality by using earlier BMT, better selection of patients, better graft-versus host prophylaxis or non myeloablative conditioning regimens...
- Current trends in autologous stem-cell transplantation for myeloma in the era of novel therapiesPhilippe Moreau
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Nantes, Nantes, France
J Clin Oncol 29:1898-906. 2011....
- Chromosomal abnormalities are major prognostic factors in elderly patients with multiple myeloma: the intergroupe francophone du myélome experienceHerve Avet-Loiseau
Centre Hospitalier Universitaire, Toulouse, France
J Clin Oncol 31:2806-9. 2013..However, this has been especially demonstrated in patients age < 66 years treated with intensive approaches. The goal of this study was to address this issue in elderly patients treated with conventional-dose chemotherapy...
- Vitamin D deficiency does not alter biochemical markers of bone metabolism before or after autograft in patients with multiple myelomaMichel Laroche
Rheumatology Department, Purpan University Hospital, Toulouse, France
Eur J Haematol 85:65-7. 2010..In this study, we aimed to determine the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and to assess its impact on bone remodelling and bone mineral density before and after autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT)...
- Prospective comparison of autologous stem cell transplantation followed by dose-reduced allograft (IFM99-03 trial) with tandem autologous stem cell transplantation (IFM99-04 trial) in high-risk de novo multiple myelomaFrederic Garban
Hematology Department, University Hospital Hotel Dieu, Place Ricordeau, 44093 Nantes Cedex 01, France
Blood 107:3474-80. 2006..2 vs 35 months; P = .07). In patients with high-risk de novo MM, the combination of ASCT followed by dose-reduced allogeneic transplantation was not superior to tandem dose-intensified, melphalan-based ASCT...
- Role of additional chromosomal changes in the prognostic value of t(4;14) and del(17p) in multiple myeloma: the IFM experienceBenjamin Hébraud
Laboratory for Genomics in Myeloma, Institut Universitaire du Cancer and University Hospital, Toulouse, France Centre de Recherche en Cancérologie de Toulouse INSERM U1037, Toulouse, France
Blood 125:2095-100. 2015..This study, which is the largest series of high-risk patients analyzed with the most modern genomic technique, identified 1 main factor negatively impacting survival: del(1p32). ..
- Time from diagnosis to intensive chemotherapy initiation does not adversely impact the outcome of patients with acute myeloid leukemiaSarah Bertoli
Service d Hematologie, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Toulouse, Hopital Purpan, Toulouse, France
Blood 121:2618-26. 2013..Furthermore, TDT was not associated with response rate and early death. Thus, waiting a short period of time for laboratory tests to characterize leukemias better and design adapted therapeutic strategies at diagnosis seems possible...
- Frontline therapy of multiple myelomaPhilippe Moreau
Department of Hematology, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Nantes, Nantes, France
Blood 125:3076-84. 2015..This article focuses on more recent frontline therapeutic approaches both in older patients, not eligible for high-dose therapy and autologous stem cell transplantation (ASCT), and in younger patients eligible for early ASCT. ..
- Hepatitis E virus excretion can be prolonged in patients with hematological malignanciesSuzanne Tavitian
Service d Hematologie, CHU de Toulouse, Hopital Purpan, Place du Dr Baylac, 31059 Toulouse Cedex, France
J Clin Virol 49:141-4. 2010..Chronic hepatitis E virus infections have been recently described in solid organ transplant recipients. There is little data on the evolution of hepatitis E in patients immunocompromised for other reasons...
- Graft-versus-lymphoma effect for aggressive T-cell lymphomas in adults: a study by the Société Francaise de Greffe de Moëlle et de Thérapie CellulaireSteven Le Gouill
Hematology Department, University Hospital, Hotel Dieu, Nantes, France
J Clin Oncol 26:2264-71. 2008..Aggressive T-cell lymphomas (ATCLs) represent 10% to 15% of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas (NHLs) in adults. ATCLs show a worse prognosis than B-cell lymphomas...
- All transplantation-eligible patients with myeloma should receive ASCT in first responsePhilippe Moreau
Department of Hematology, University Hospital Hotel Dieu, Nantes, France
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2014:250-4. 2014..Therefore, the optimal approach to the treatment of multiple myeloma is still to propose the most effective treatment that should involve the use of frontline ASCT in young patients eligible for HDT. ..