- [Air pollution and the lung: epidemiological approach]Isabella Annesi-Maesano
EPAR, UMRS S 707, Inserm Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, 27 rue Chaligny, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
Med Sci (Paris) 22:589-94. 2006..Further epidemiological research is necessary to better evaluate the respiratory health effects of air pollution and to implement protective programmes for public health...
- Early life factors related to clinical manifestations of atopic disease but not to skin-prick test positivity in young childrenMaria Antonietta Stazi
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, ISS, Rome, Italy
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 13:105-12. 2002..Besides allergic sensitization, other events, which occur early in life, seem critical to the development of IgE-mediated allergy...
- [Epidemiology of asthma and allergies. The prevalence of allergies increases worldwide, and asthma has reached his highest-ever prevalence in Europe: why?]Michel Aubier
Service de Pneumologie, INSERM U700, Hopital Bichat, 75018 Paris
Bull Acad Natl Med 189:1419-34; discussion 1434. 2005..Asthma might result from the interactions between individual and environmental factors (diet, air pollution, etc.), but further investigations are needed to understand the precise pathophysiological mechanisms of asthma...
- Research needs in allergy: an EAACI position paper, in collaboration with EFANikolaos G Papadopoulos
Allergy Department, 2nd Pediatric Clinic, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Clin Transl Allergy 2:21. 2012..Active involvement of all stakeholders, including Patient Organizations and policy makers are necessary to achieve the aims emphasized herein...
- [Is asthma still a life-threatening disease?]Isabella Annesi-Maesano
INSERM, UMR S707 EPAR, F 75012 Paris, France
Presse Med 37:107-15. 2008..Other investigations are necessary to determine the trends in the prevalence of severe asthma and to understand the nonrespiratory mortality of asthma patients. Vigilance and surveillance of severe asthma must be maintained...
- Residential proximity fine particles related to allergic sensitisation and asthma in primary school childrenIsabella Annesi-Maesano
INSERM, U 707 EPAR, Paris, F 75012 France
Respir Med 101:1721-9. 2007....
- Concurrent allergic diseases: a cross-sectional study in a French populationI Annesi-Maesano
EPAR INSERM U707 Medical School Saint Antoine 27, rue de Chaligny F75571 Paris CEDEX
Allergy 61:390-1. 2006
- Poor air quality in classrooms related to asthma and rhinitis in primary schoolchildren of the French 6 Cities StudyIsabella Annesi-Maesano
Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases EPAR, Inserm UPMC Paris 6, Medical School St Antoine, 27 rue Chaligny, Paris Cedex 12, France
Thorax 67:682-8. 2012....
- Higher prevalence of breathlessness in elderly exposed to indoor aldehydes and VOCs in a representative sample of French dwellingsMalek Bentayeb
Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases Department, Inserm UMR S 707, 27 rue Chaligny, 75012 Paris, France Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6, Sorbonne Universités, UMR S 707 EPAR, Paris F 75012, France
Respir Med 107:1598-607. 2013..Our results showed a higher risk of breathlessness in elderly exposed to indoor air pollution than in the rest of the exposed population. Further investigations are needed to confirm whether this is related to frailty in elderly. ..
- Two novel, severe asthma phenotypes identified during childhood using a clustering approachJocelyne Just
Centre de l Asthme et des Allergies, Hopital d Enfants Armand Trousseau, Paris, France
Eur Respir J 40:55-60. 2012..e. anti-allergic drugs, such as anti-IgE for children with the allergic phenotype, and anti-neutrophil drugs, such as macrolides for those with the obstructive phenotype...
- Grass pollen counts, air pollution levels and allergic rhinitis severityIsabella Annesi-Maesano
INSERM, Paris, France
Int Arch Allergy Immunol 158:397-404. 2012..Little is known about the relation between allergic rhinitis severity and airborne pollen in combination with air pollutants...
- Indoor air pollution and respiratory health in the elderlyMalek Bentayeb
Institut National de la Sant e et Recherche M edicale, Universit e Pierre et Marie Curie UMR, EPAR, Paris, France
J Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 48:1783-9. 2013..Further studies in the elderly population are needed in order to define causal relationships between exposures to indoor air pollution and underlying mechanisms in this sub-population...
- Respiratory health and indoor air pollutants based on quantitative exposure assessmentsMarion Hulin
INSERM, UMR 707, EPAR, France
Eur Respir J 40:1033-45. 2012..Studies focusing on indoor air pollutants should be developed to better understand their involvement in the inception and aggravation of respiratory diseases...
- Cord serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D and risk of early childhood transient wheezing and atopic dermatitisNour Baïz
INSERM Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases EPAR Department, Paris, France Medical School Saint Antoine, UPMC Univ6, Paris, France Electronic address
J Allergy Clin Immunol 133:147-53. 2014..However, studies on the relationship between cord levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) and asthma and allergic diseases are very few...
- Air pollution and increased levels of fractional exhaled nitric oxide in children with no history of airway damageMarion Flamant-Hulin
INSERM, U707, EPAR, 75571 Paris Cedex 12, France
J Toxicol Environ Health A 73:272-83. 2010..Exposure to air pollution may lead to airway inflammation, as measured by FeNO, in schoolchildren. These associations occur even in children with no history of airway damage and seem to be enhanced in atopic subjects...
- Relationships between molds and asthma suggesting non-allergic mechanisms. A rural-urban comparisonMarion Flamant-Hulin
INSERM, UMR 707, EPAR, Paris, France UPMC Univ Paris 06, UMR_S 707, EPAR, Paris, France
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 24:345-51. 2013..A fungal index, based on specific microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) emission, was employed and related to asthma in children from rural and urban dwellings after stratification on the children atopic status...
- The ANO3/MUC15 locus is associated with eczema in families ascertained through asthmaMarie Hélène Dizier
Genetic Variation and Human Diseases Unit, INSERM, U946, Paris, France Université Paris, France
J Allergy Clin Immunol 129:1547-53.e3. 2012..A previous genome-wide linkage scan in 295 families of the French Epidemiological Study on the Genetics and Environment of Asthma (EGEA) reported strong evidence of linkage of 11p14 to eczema...
- Factors related to under-diagnosis and under-treatment of childhood asthma in metropolitan FranceIsabella Annesi-Maesano
U707, EPAR, INSERM, Paris, France
Multidiscip Respir Med 7:24. 2012..abstract:..
- Allergic rhinitis and its consequences on quality of sleep: An unexplored areaDamien Leger
Centre du Sommeil et de la Vigilance de l Hôtel Dieu, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Arch Intern Med 166:1744-8. 2006..The objective of our study was to assess, in patients with AR, whether duration and severity of AR are associated with sleep impairment...
- Maternal depression related to infant's wheezingFrançoise Lefevre
Centre de l Asthme et des Allergies, Groupe Hospitalier Trousseau La Roche Guyon, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie PARIS6, Paris, France
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 22:608-13. 2011..To assess whether maternal psychological status is related to infant's wheezing...
- Short-term effects of airborne pollens on asthma attacks as seen by general practitioners in the Greater Paris area, 2003-2007Bich Tram Huynh
INSERM and UPMC Paris VI EPAR, Medical School Saint Antoine, Paris, France
Prim Care Respir J 19:254-9. 2010..To investigate for the first time the short-term effects of airborne pollen counts on general practitioner (GP) consultations for asthma attacks in the Greater Paris area between 2003-2007...
- Asthma, obesity, and eating behaviors according to the diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders IV in a large population-based sample of adolescentsDavid Moreau
From INSERM, Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases, Paris, France
Am J Clin Nutr 89:1292-8. 2009..Obesity is related to asthma, but factors influencing this relation have not been clearly defined...
- Maternal exposure to air pollution before and during pregnancy related to changes in newborn's cord blood lymphocyte subpopulations. The EDEN study cohortNour Baïz
INSERM, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory EPAR Department, UMR S707, Paris, France
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 11:87. 2011..Our aim was to investigate the impacts of maternal exposure to air pollution before and during pregnancy on newborn's immune system...
- The complex link between immunization against childhood diseases and allergySofia Kalaboka
INSERM, UMR S 707 EPAR, Paris, F 75012 France
Expert Rev Vaccines 6:635-43. 2007..However, most population-based studies have not found an increased risk of allergies in vaccinated children. Due to methodological problems in conducting the studies, further investigations are needed to better understand the phenomenon...
- Quantitative assessments of indoor air pollution and respiratory health in a population-based sample of French dwellingsCécile Billionnet
INSERM, UMR S 707, EPAR, F 75012 Paris, France
Environ Res 111:425-34. 2011..Various volatile organic compounds (VOCs) have been related to respiratory health effects, but have generally been assessed individually without taking into account the fact that such pollutants are highly correlated to one other...
- Evidence for a locus in 1p31 region specifically linked to the co-morbidity of asthma and allergic rhinitis in the EGEA studyMarie Hélène Dizier
INSERM, U535, Villejuif, France
Hum Hered 63:162-7. 2007..The goal of the present study was to assess formally whether 1p31 is a linkage region shared by two different diseases, asthma and AR, or whether it is specific to the co-morbidity asthma plus AR...
- Impact of tobacco control policies on exhaled carbon monoxide in non-smokersSéverine Tual
INSERM, Paris, France
J Epidemiol Community Health 64:554-6. 2010..This study aimed to investigate the relationship between secondhand smoke exposure, as assessed by exhaled carbon monoxide (eCO), and the strength of national tobacco control policies, in non-smokers in the EU...
- [Epidemiology of asthma in the world and in France]Isabella Annesi-Maesano
Equipe EPAR Epidémiologie des maladies allergiques et respiratoires, U707, INSERM, Umrs 707, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 06, Faculte de Medecine Saint Antoine, 75571 Paris Cedex 12
Rev Prat 61:329-35. 2011..Gene-environment interactions starting in early life using the epigenetic approach should be explored to better understand asthma epidemiological evolution...
- Bronchitis-like symptoms and proximity air pollution in French elderlyMalek Bentayeb
INSERM, UMR S 707 EPAR, Paris F 75012, France
Respir Med 104:880-8. 2010..Our aim was to explore the association between respiratory health and proximity air quality in elderly...
- Reported prevalence and co-morbidity of asthma, chronic bronchitis and emphysema: a pan-European estimationS Boutin-Forzano
Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases, Unité Mixte de Recherche en Santé 707, Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, Paris, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:695-702. 2007....
- Do patients with skin allergies have higher levels of anxiety than patients with allergic respiratory diseases? Results of a large-scale cross-sectional study in a French populationI Annesi-Maesano
INSERM, UMR S 707, Medical School Saint Antoine, University Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, 75012 Paris, France
Br J Dermatol 154:1128-36. 2006..In addition, the complexities of the anxiety-allergy relationship, i.e. differences for current and past disease, or differences among allergic disease types, are not well understood...
- Modifiable exposures to air pollutants related to asthma phenotypes in the first year of life in children of the EDEN mother-child cohort studyCailiang Zhou
Universite Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris 6, Sorbonne Universités, UMR S 707 EPAR Epidémiologie des maladies allergiques et respiratoires, Medical School Saint Antoine, Paris, France
BMC Public Health 13:506. 2013..The purpose of this study was to evaluate the impacts of various air pollutants on the development of asthma phenotypes in the first year of life...
- Is the asthma epidemic still ascending?Nour Baïz
Institut National de la Sante et de la Recherche Medicale, UMR S 707, Department of Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases, Paris F 75012, France
Clin Chest Med 33:419-29. 2012..Further investigations are warranted to better understand mechanisms underlying asthma increase or stagnation...
- Estimating the health effects of exposure to multi-pollutant mixtureCécile Billionnet
Ann Epidemiol 22:126-41. 2012....
- Exploring endocrine GH pattern in mice using rank plot analysis and random blood samplesJie Xu
Inserm U938, Hopital Saint Antoine, Bâtiment Kourilsky, 184 rue du Faubourg Saint Antoine, F 75012 Paris, France
J Endocrinol 208:119-29. 2011..Taken together, we showed that rank plot analysis is a useful method that allows straightforward studies of circadian endogenous GH levels in mice...
- In utero and perinatal complications preceding asthmaI Annesi-Maesano
Department of Toxicological and Environmental Epidemiology, Epidemiology and Biostatistics Unit, INSERM, Villejuif, France
Allergy 56:491-7. 2001..58, 1.03-2.40) and the malposition or malpresentation of the fetus (ICD: 652) (1.6%, ORadj =3.63, 1.47-8.91). CONCLUSION: The results provide further evidence that in utero and perinatal factors may increase the risk of developing asthma...
- Management of chronic respiratory and allergic diseases in developing countries. Focus on sub-Saharan AfricaJ Bousquet
Service des Maladies Respiratoires and INSERM U454, CHU Montpellier Centre d Allergologie, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France
Allergy 58:265-83. 2003
- In utero and childhood exposure to parental tobacco smoke, and allergies in schoolchildrenChantal Raherison
Service des Maladies Respiratoires, Hopital du Haut leveque, Avenue Magellan, 33604 Pessac, France
Respir Med 101:107-17. 2007..66]). There was no association between atopy, rhinitis, eczema and parental smoking, respectively. ETS remains a risk factor of wheezing in childhood. Counselling parents of children to quit smoking still remains a public health policy...
- Perinatal events, vitamin D, and the development of allergyIsabella Annesi-Maesano
INSERM U472 Epidemiology and Biostatistics, 16 ave P Vaillant Couturier F94807 Villejuif, France
Pediatr Res 52:3-5. 2002
- Epidemiologic study of the genetics and environment of asthma, bronchial hyperresponsiveness, and atopyFrancine Kauffmann
Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U472, Villejuif, France
Chest 121:27S. 2002
- Heritability and shared genetic effects of asthma and hay fever: an Italian study of young twinsCorrado Fagnani
National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Rome, Italy
Twin Res Hum Genet 11:121-31. 2008..It also indicated that asthma and hay fever share, to a large extent, a common genetic background, and environmental factors are not relevant to explain the comorbidity...
- Does childhood immunization against infectious diseases protect from the development of atopic disease?Gilles Martignon
Epidemiology of Allergic and Respiratory Diseases EPAR Department, INSERM, INSERM U 472, Villejuif Cedex, France
Pediatr Allergy Immunol 16:193-200. 2005..Further studies are needed to confirm the phenomenon...
- Clustering patterns of LOD scores for asthma-related phenotypes revealed by a genome-wide screen in 295 French EGEA familiesEmmanuelle Bouzigon
1INSERM EMI0006, Evry, France
Hum Mol Genet 13:3103-13. 2004..These results provide new insights into the potential sharing of genetic determinants by asthma-related phenotypes...
- Natural rubber latex allergy among health care workers: a systematic review of the evidenceJean Bousquet
Service des Maladies Respiratoires, INSERM U454, Hopital Arnaud de Villeneuve, University Hospital, 34295 Montpellier Cedex 5, France
J Allergy Clin Immunol 118:447-54. 2006..Natural rubber latex is a recognized allergen, but a recent meta-analysis failed to find any association between latex exposure and allergy in health care workers (HCWs)...
- "Beam me up, Scotty!"Andrew Bush
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 175:1-2. 2007
- Evidence for linkage of a new region (11p14) to eczema and allergic diseasesMichel Guilloud-Bataille
INSERM U535, Hopital Paul Brousse, Bâtiment Leriche, B P 1000, 94817, Villejuif Cedex, France
Hum Genet 122:605-14. 2008..Further investigations in this region will allow identifying genetic factor(s) which could have pleiotropic effect in the three allergic diseases...
- [Asthma epidemiology]Isabella Annesi-Maesano
Epidémiologie des Maladies Allergiques et Respiratoires, INSERM U472 Epidémiologie et Biostatistique, 16, avenue Paul Vaillant Couturier, 94807 Villejuif
Rev Prat 55:1295-8. 2005..Gene-environment interactions already in early life should be explored to understand asthma epidemiological evolution...