Affiliation: Inserm U1061
Location: Montpellier, France
Senior Researcher (Research Director Inserm "National Institute of Health and Medical Research"); PhD.
MAIN EXPERTISE: Psychiatry and Mental Health; Cognition and Neuropsychology
APPLICATIONS: Epidemiology, Biochemistry, Endocrinology, Pharmacology
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES: Endocrine and metabolic approach to stress-related neuropsychiatric disorders
- Wengelnik K, Vidal V, Ancelin M, Cathiard A, Morgat J, Kocken C, et al. A class of potent antimalarials and their specific accumulation in infected erythrocytes. Science. 2002;295:1311-4 pubmed..falciparum and P. cynomolgi...
- Carriere I, Gutierrez L, Pérès K, Berr C, Barberger Gateau P, Ritchie K, et al. Late life depression and incident activity limitations: influence of gender and symptom severity. J Affect Disord. 2011;133:42-50 pubmed publisher..Depression is an independent predictor of disability in the elderly population; the relation is gender-dependent and varies with symptom load. ..
- Scali J, Ryan J, Carriere I, Dartigues J, Tavernier B, Ritchie K, et al. A prospective study of hormone therapy and depression in community-dwelling elderly women: the Three City Study. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:1673-9 pubmed publisher..However, discontinuing treatment could increase the risk of depressive symptoms. Data on the appropriate management of depression in the context of HT discontinuation among postmenopausal women require further investigation. ..
- Beluche I, Carriere I, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. A prospective study of diurnal cortisol and cognitive function in community-dwelling elderly people. Psychol Med. 2010;40:1039-49 pubmed publisher..The effects are independent of environmental context, apolipoprotein E (ApoE) genotype or psychopathology. Interventions blocking this pathway may provide new therapeutic options to prevent cognitive decline. ..
- Soremekun M, Stewart R, Portet F, Artero S, Ancelin M, Ritchie K. Neurological signs and late-life depressive symptoms in a community population: the ESPRIT study. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010;25:672-8 pubmed publisher..We confirmed previous findings of an association between neurological signs and case-level depressive symptoms in late life. However, this association may simply reflect the impact of more severe comorbid neurological disorder. ..
- Ancelin M, Christen Y, Ritchie K. Is antioxidant therapy a viable alternative for mild cognitive impairment? Examination of the evidence. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2007;24:1-19 pubmed....
- Ritchie K, Artero S, Portet F, Brickman A, Muraskin J, Beanino E, et al. Caffeine, cognitive functioning, and white matter lesions in the elderly: establishing causality from epidemiological evidence. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;20 Suppl 1:S161-6 pubmed publisher..The significant relationship observed between caffeine intake in women and lower cognitive decline is highly likely to be a true causal relationship and not a spurious association. ..
- Chaudieu I, Beluche I, Norton J, Boulenger J, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. Abnormal reactions to environmental stress in elderly persons with anxiety disorders: evidence from a population study of diurnal cortisol changes. J Affect Disord. 2008;106:307-13 pubmed..Elderly persons who had experienced trauma with subsequent intrusions showed a distinct pattern with down-regulated activity. ..
- Ryan J, Scali J, Carriere I, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. Hormonal treatment, mild cognitive impairment and Alzheimer's disease. Int Psychogeriatr. 2008;20:47-56 pubmed....
- Ryan J, Carriere I, Ritchie K, Stewart R, Toulemonde G, Dartigues J, et al. Late-life depression and mortality: influence of gender and antidepressant use. Br J Psychiatry. 2008;192:12-8 pubmed publisher..The association between depression and mortality is gender-dependent and varies according to symptom load and antidepressant use. ..
- Ritchie K, Carriere I, Ritchie C, Berr C, Artero S, Ancelin M. Designing prevention programmes to reduce incidence of dementia: prospective cohort study of modifiable risk factors. BMJ. 2010;341:c3885 pubmed publisher..Although causal relations cannot be concluded with certainty, the study suggests priorities that may inform public health programmes. ..
- Ryan J, Burger H, Szoeke C, Lehert P, Ancelin M, Henderson V, et al. A prospective study of the association between endogenous hormones and depressive symptoms in postmenopausal women. Menopause. 2009;16:509-17 pubmed publisher..These results further support a role for fluctuating rather than absolute hormone levels in depression in later life. ..
- Noize P, Bazin F, Dufouil C, Lechevallier Michel N, Ancelin M, Dartigues J, et al. Comparison of health insurance claims and patient interviews in assessing drug use: data from the Three-City (3C) Study. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2009;18:310-9 pubmed publisher..Self-medication was better described with interviews whereas reimbursement data seem more useful for drugs used topically or intermittently. ..
- Ritchie K, Jaussent I, Stewart R, Dupuy A, Courtet P, Ancelin M, et al. Association of adverse childhood environment and 5-HTTLPR Genotype with late-life depression. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009;70:1281-8 pubmed publisher....
- Ancelin M, de Roquefeuil G, Ledesert B, Bonnel F, Cheminal J, Ritchie K. Exposure to anaesthetic agents, cognitive functioning and depressive symptomatology in the elderly. Br J Psychiatry. 2001;178:360-6 pubmed..Age, low educational level, pre-operative cognitive impairment or depression are risk factors. Cognitive functions are not equally affected, type of impairment being determined by the risk factors described above and anaesthesia type. ..
- Jaussent I, Dauvilliers Y, Ancelin M, Dartigues J, Tavernier B, Touchon J, et al. Insomnia symptoms in older adults: associated factors and gender differences. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011;19:88-97 pubmed publisher..Identification and treatment of these risk factors may form the basis of an intervention program for reduction of IS in the elderly. ..
- Akbaraly T, Kivimaki M, Ancelin M, Barberger Gateau P, Mura T, Tzourio C, et al. Metabolic syndrome, its components, and mortality in the elderly. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010;95:E327-32 pubmed publisher..Our findings emphasize the importance of MetS screening and managing dyslipidemia and hyperglycemia in older persons in general practice. ..
- Akbaraly T, Ancelin M, Jaussent I, Ritchie C, Barberger Gateau P, Dufouil C, et al. Metabolic syndrome and onset of depressive symptoms in the elderly: findings from the three-city study. Diabetes Care. 2011;34:904-9 pubmed publisher..Additional research is needed to examine if a better management of MetS prevents depressive symptoms in people aged 65-70 years. ..
- Ryan J, Scali J, Carriere I, Scarabin P, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. Estrogen receptor gene variants are associated with anxiety disorders in older women. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011;36:1582-6 pubmed publisher..The results also suggest that the ESR2 may contribute to the genetic vulnerability to GAD, but these findings require further confirmation. ..
- Beluche I, Chaudieu I, Norton J, Carriere I, Boulenger J, Ritchie K, et al. Persistence of abnormal cortisol levels in elderly persons after recovery from major depression. J Psychiatr Res. 2009;43:777-83 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that cortisol abnormalities may be trait markers for vulnerability to depression and for the differentiation of depression and depression with co-morbid anxiety. ..
- Scali J, Ryan J, Carriere I, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. A prospective study of hormonal treatment and anxiety disorders in community-dwelling elderly women (the Esprit Study). J Affect Disord. 2009;115:274-9 pubmed publisher..The use of hormone therapy was not associated with improved anxiety symptomatology in elderly postmenopausal women. ..
- Ancelin M, de Roquefeuil G, Ritchie K. [Anesthesia and postoperative cognitive dysfunction in the elderly: a review of clinical and epidemiological observations]. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2000;48:459-72 pubmed..It is concluded that the complex interaction of etiological factors makes it difficult to determine at this point of time to what extent POCD may be attributed specifically to anesthetic agents. ..
- Power T, Stewart R, Ancelin M, Jaussent I, Malafosse A, Ritchie K. 5-HTTLPR genotype, stressful life events and late-life depression: no evidence of interaction in a French population. Neurobiol Aging. 2010;31:886-7 pubmed publisher..In the only analysis known to the authors to be carried out in an exclusively elderly, European population, this null finding remained consistent after restriction of analysis to prevalent or incident cases. ..
- Artero S, Ancelin M, Ritchie K. [Epidemiology of mental diseases in the elderly]. Encephale. 2006;32 Pt 4:S1091-4 pubmed
- Ritchie K, Carriere I, de Mendonca A, Portet F, Dartigues J, Rouaud O, et al. The neuroprotective effects of caffeine: a prospective population study (the Three City Study). Neurology. 2007;69:536-45 pubmed..To examine the association between caffeine intake, cognitive decline, and incident dementia in a community-based sample of subjects aged 65 years and over...
- Ancelin M, Scali J, Ritchie K. Hormonal therapy and depression: are we overlooking an important therapeutic alternative?. J Psychosom Res. 2007;62:473-85 pubmed....
- Ryan J, Carriere I, Scali J, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. Life-time estrogen exposure and cognitive functioning in later life. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2009;34:287-98 pubmed publisher..Further studies will also be required to determine whether lifetime hormonal exposure may modify women's response to hormone therapy after the menopause. ..
- Ritchie K, Ancelin M, Beaino E, Portet F, Brickman A, Dartigues J, et al. Retrospective identification and characterization of mild cognitive impairment from a prospective population cohort. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2010;18:692-700 pubmed..This study retrospectively identifies cases of MCI and determines baseline criteria giving the highest discriminability. The ability of these criteria to increase current case detection specificity is estimated...
- Ritchie K, Artero S, Beluche I, Ancelin M, Mann A, Dupuy A, et al. Prevalence of DSM-IV psychiatric disorder in the French elderly population. Br J Psychiatry. 2004;184:147-52 pubmed..Results show very high rates of lifetime but not current major depression. Rates of current phobia and suicidal ideation in the very elderly are also high compared with other studies. The rates reported are likely to be underestimates. ..
- Ritchie K, Jaussent I, Stewart R, Dupuy A, Courtet P, Malafosse A, et al. Adverse childhood environment and late-life cognitive functioning. Int J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2011;26:503-10 pubmed publisher....
- Ancelin M, Ritchie K. Lifelong endocrine fluctuations and related cognitive disorders. Curr Pharm Des. 2005;11:4229-52 pubmed....
- Ancelin M, De Roquefeuil G, Scali J, Bonnel F, Adam J, Cheminal J, et al. Long-term post-operative cognitive decline in the elderly: the effects of anesthesia type, apolipoprotein E genotype, and clinical antecedents. J Alzheimers Dis. 2010;22 Suppl 3:105-13 pubmed publisher....
- Ancelin M, Artero S, Beluche I, Besset A, Boulenger J, Carriere I, et al. [The Esprit Project: a longitudinal general population study of psychiatric disorders in France in subjects over 65 years old]. Encephale. 2006;32 Pt 5:S615-21 pubmed
- Ancelin M, Carriere I, Boulenger J, Malafosse A, Stewart R, Cristol J, et al. Gender and genotype modulation of the association between lipid levels and depressive symptomatology in community-dwelling elderly (the ESPRIT study). Biol Psychiatry. 2010;68:125-32 pubmed publisher..Late-life depression may have a complex gender-specific etiology involving genetic vulnerability in men. ..
- Dupuy A, Carriere I, Scali J, Cristol J, Ritchie K, Dartigues J, et al. Lipid levels and cardiovascular risk in elderly women: a general population study of the effects of hormonal treatment and lipid-lowering agents. Climacteric. 2008;11:74-83 pubmed publisher..18 (95% CI = 0.10-0.30)). Estradiol-based HT may lower atherogenic lipoproteins in postmenopausal women. In primary prevention of coronary heart disease, combining HT and a fibrate may provide additional benefits compared to fibrate use. ..
- Ryan J, Carriere I, Scali J, Dartigues J, Tzourio C, Poncet M, et al. Characteristics of hormone therapy, cognitive function, and dementia: the prospective 3C Study. Neurology. 2009;73:1729-37 pubmed publisher..We found no evidence that HT needs to be initiated close to the menopause to have a beneficial effect on cognitive function in later life. Current HT may decrease the risk of dementia associated with the APOE epsilon4 allele. ..
- Artero S, Ancelin M, Portet F, Dupuy A, Berr C, Dartigues J, et al. Risk profiles for mild cognitive impairment and progression to dementia are gender specific. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2008;79:979-84 pubmed publisher..Men and women have different risk profiles for both MCI and progression to dementia. Intervention programmes should focus principally on risk of stroke in men and depressive symptomatology and use of anticholinergic medication in women. ..
- Ryan J, Carriere I, Scali J, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. Lifetime hormonal factors may predict late-life depression in women. Int Psychogeriatr. 2008;20:1203-18 pubmed publisher..Further work is needed to determine how potential hormonal interventions could be used in the treatment of late-life depression in certain subgroups of women. ..
- Carriere I, Fourrier Reglat A, Dartigues J, Rouaud O, Pasquier F, Ritchie K, et al. Drugs with anticholinergic properties, cognitive decline, and dementia in an elderly general population: the 3-city study. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169:1317-24 pubmed publisher..Physicians should carefully consider prescription of anticholinergic drugs in elderly people, especially in the very elderly and in persons at high genetic risk for cognitive disorder. ..
- Isaac V, Stewart R, Artero S, Ancelin M, Ritchie K. Social activity and improvement in depressive symptoms in older people: a prospective community cohort study. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2009;17:688-96 pubmed publisher....
- Carriere I, Villebrun D, Peres K, Stewart R, Ritchie K, Ancelin M. Modelling complex pathways between late-life depression and disability: evidence for mediating and moderating factors. Psychol Med. 2009;39:1587-90 pubmed publisher....
- Ancelin M, Artero S, Portet F, Dupuy A, Touchon J, Ritchie K. Non-degenerative mild cognitive impairment in elderly people and use of anticholinergic drugs: longitudinal cohort study. BMJ. 2006;332:455-9 pubmed..Doctors should assess current use of anticholinergic drugs in elderly people with mild cognitive impairment before considering administration of acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. ..
- Ancelin M, Scali J, Norton J, Ritchie K, Dupuy A, Chaudieu I, et al. Heterogeneity in HPA axis dysregulation and serotonergic vulnerability to depression. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2017;77:90-94 pubmed publisher..Participants homozygous for the short allele appeared to have a cortisol-related neuroendocrine vulnerability to depression, while long allele homozygotes were more reactive to stressful events in terms of depression risk. ..