Serge H Ahmed
- Dissociation of psychomotor sensitization from compulsive cocaine consumptionSerge H Ahmed
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux2, Bordeaux, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 31:563-71. 2006....
- Imbalance between drug and non-drug reward availability: a major risk factor for addictionSerge H Ahmed
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux2, CNRS UMR 5541, 33076 Bordeaux, France
Eur J Pharmacol 526:9-20. 2005....
- Transition to drug addiction: a negative reinforcement model based on an allostatic decrease in reward functionSerge H Ahmed
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux2, CNRS UMR 5541, 33076, Bordeaux, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 180:473-90. 2005..The transition from initial drug use to drug addiction has been proposed to result from an allostatic decrease in reward function driven by an overactivation of brain antireward processes...
- Neuroscience. Addiction as compulsive reward predictionSerge H Ahmed
CNRS UMR 5541, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Science 306:1901-2. 2004
- Extended heroin access increases heroin choices over a potent nondrug alternativeMagalie Lenoir
Universite de Bordeaux, Institut des Maladies Neurodégénératives, rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 38:1209-20. 2013..This higher addiction liability may contribute to explain why more drug users become addicted to heroin than to cocaine in epidemiological studies...
- Supply of a nondrug substitute reduces escalated heroin consumptionMagalie Lenoir
University Victor Segalen Bordeaux2, CNRS UMR 5227, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 33:2272-82. 2008..Escalated drug use may therefore persist, not so much because of a relative devaluation of nondrug substitutes, but because of a loss or reduction of their availability...
- A choice-based screening method for compulsive drug users in ratsMagalie Lenoir
Universite de Bordeaux, CNRS, Institut des Maladies Neurodégénératives, Bordeaux, France
Curr Protoc Neurosci . 2013..This choice-based screening method for compulsive drug users is easy to implement, has several important applications, and compares well with other methods in the field...
- Sugar overconsumption during adolescence selectively alters motivation and reward function in adult ratsLeandro F Vendruscolo
CNRS UMR5227, Universite de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 5:e9296. 2010..This study examined in rats the effects of unlimited access to sucrose during adolescence on the motivation for natural and pharmacological rewards in adulthood...
- Intense sweetness surpasses cocaine rewardMagalie Lenoir
University Bordeaux 2, Universite Bordeaux 1, CNRS, UMR 5227, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 2:e698. 2007..Though there are many biological commonalities between sweetened diets and drugs of abuse, the addictive potential of the former relative to the latter is currently unknown...
- Cocaine is low on the value ladder of rats: possible evidence for resilience to addictionLauriane Cantin
Unité Mixte de Recherche 5227, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
PLoS ONE 5:e11592. 2010..Surprisingly, recent experiments in rats--by far the most frequently used animal model in this field--suggest that the value of cocaine is lower than previously thought...
- A critical transition in cocaine self-administration: behavioral and neurobiological implicationsAmandine Zittel-Lazarini
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, CNRS UMR 5227, 146 rue Leo Saignat, 33076, Bordeaux, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 192:337-46. 2007..This hypothesis predicts that the dose-injection function of each subject individually should be a decreasing function, with no initial, gradual ascending limb...
- Risk-prone individuals prefer the wrong options on a rat version of the Iowa Gambling TaskMarion Rivalan
CNRS UMR 5227, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux Cedex, France
Biol Psychiatry 66:743-9. 2009..The cognitive processes underlying these deficits are poorly understood, in part due to a lack of suitable animal models assessing complex decision making with good construct validity...
- Heroin-induced reinstatement is specific to compulsive heroin use and dissociable from heroin reward and sensitizationMagalie Lenoir
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, University Victor Segalen Bordeaux2, CNRS UMR 5541, Bordeaux, France
Neuropsychopharmacology 32:616-24. 2007..This study reproduces and extends previous research on compulsive cocaine use by showing that heroin-induced reinstatement is also specific to compulsive drug use and dissociable from heroin-induced reward and psychomotor sensitization...
- Levodopa gains psychostimulant-like properties after nigral dopaminergic lossMichel Engeln
Institute of Neurodegenerative Diseases, UMR 5293, F 33000 Bordeaux, France, University of Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France Institute of Neurodegenerative Diseases, UMR 5293, F 33000 Bordeaux, France, National Center for Scientific Research, Bordeaux, France
Ann Neurol 74:140-4. 2013..These 2 effects may combine to explain the addictive use of levodopa after loss of midbrain dopamine neurons in some PD patients...
- Discriminative inhibitory control of cocaine seeking involves the prelimbic prefrontal cortexClaudia Mihindou
Université de Bordeaux and the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut des Maladies Neurodégénératives, Bordeaux, France
Biol Psychiatry 73:271-9. 2013..Here, we report similar findings in a rat model of inhibitory control of cocaine seeking...
- Sugar addiction: pushing the drug-sugar analogy to the limitSerge H Ahmed
Universite de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 16:434-9. 2013..To review research that tests the validity of the analogy between addictive drugs, like cocaine, and hyperpalatable foods, notably those high in added sugar (i.e., sucrose)...
- Preclinical validation of a novel cocaine exposure therapy for relapse preventionClaudia Mihindou
Institut des Maladies Neurodégénératives, Universite de Bordeaux, Bordeaux, France
Biol Psychiatry 70:593-8. 2011..Here we sought to prevent this effect by extinguishing the conditioned interoceptive cues of cocaine that are thought to be acquired during repeated cocaine use...
- Neurobiological evidence for hedonic allostasis associated with escalating cocaine useSerge H Ahmed
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, Universite de Bordeaux 2, CNRS UMR 5541, 146 rue Leo Saignat, Bordeaux 33076, France
Nat Neurosci 5:625-6. 2002....
- Changes in response to a dopamine receptor antagonist in rats with escalating cocaine intakeSerge H Ahmed
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie Desadaptations, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Unite Mixte de Recherche 5541, Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, Bordeaux, France
Psychopharmacology (Berl) 172:450-4. 2004..The present study tested the hypothesis that escalating use of cocaine is associated with chronic alterations in dopamine neurotransmission...
- Validation crisis in animal models of drug addiction: beyond non-disordered drug use toward drug addictionSerge H Ahmed
Universite Bordeaux 2, CNRS, Mouvement Adaptation Cognition, UMR 5227, France
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 35:172-84. 2010..Other competing interpretations of the same pattern of results are also discussed at the end of this review...
- The simulation of addiction: pharmacological and neurocomputational models of drug self-administrationSerge H Ahmed
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux, CNRS UMR 5227, Bordeaux, France
Drug Alcohol Depend 90:304-11. 2007....
- Mesolimbic dopamine drives the diurnal variation in opiate-induced feedingM Flavia Barbano
Laboratoire de Neuropsychobiologie des Desadaptations, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, UMR 5541, Université Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2 146, rue Leo Saignat, BP 31, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Pharmacol Biochem Behav 81:569-74. 2005..This finding suggests that mesolimbic dopamine transmission contributes to the neural mechanisms that normally drive the circadian timing of opioid-dependent feeding...
- Escalation of cocaine intake and incubation of cocaine seeking are correlated with dissociable neuronal processes in different accumbens subregionsKarine Guillem
Universite de Bordeaux, Institut des Maladies Neurodégénératives, Unité Mixte de Recherche 5293, Bordeaux, France Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Institut des Maladies Neurodégénératives, Unité Mixte de Recherche 5293, Bordeaux, France Electronic address
Biol Psychiatry 76:31-9. 2014..Whether these two prominent features of cocaine addiction are related to each other and are mediated by similar or different neuronal processes is currently unknown...
- Gene expression evidence for remodeling of lateral hypothalamic circuitry in cocaine addictionSerge H Ahmed
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA 92103, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:11533-8. 2005..Results also support the value of using multiple analysis strategies to identify the most robust changes in gene expression and to compensate for the biases that affect each strategy...
- Neurobiological mechanisms in the transition from drug use to drug dependenceGeorge F Koob
Department of Neuropharmacology, CVN 7, The Scripps Research Institute, 10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
Neurosci Biobehav Rev 27:739-49. 2004....
- Explaining the escalation of drug use in substance dependence: models and appropriate animal laboratory testsGerald Zernig
Experimental Psychiatry Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Medical University Innsbruck, Innsbruck, Austria
Pharmacology 80:65-119. 2007..The review concludes by making suggestions on how to improve the current behavioral experimental approaches...
- The transition from controlled to compulsive drug use is associated with a loss of sensitizationOsnat Ben-Shahar
Department of Psychology, University of California, Santa Barbara, CA 93106 9660, USA
Brain Res 995:46-54. 2004..These data suggest that the transition to escalating patterns of drug use is associated with neuroadaptive changes that counteract those initially associated with controlled stable patterns of drug use...
- Escalation of cocaine self-administration does not depend on altered cocaine-induced nucleus accumbens dopamine levelsSerge H Ahmed
Department of Neuropharmacology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, California, USA
J Neurochem 86:102-13. 2003..These findings show that changes in cocaine efficacy or pharmacokinetics do not play a critical role in cocaine intake escalation...