Avelin F Aghokeng
- Virological outcome and patterns of HIV-1 drug resistance in patients with 36 months' antiretroviral therapy experience in CameroonAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CREMER IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Int AIDS Soc 16:18004. 2013..We assessed the virological outcome and drug resistance mutations in patients with 36 months' ART experience, and monitored according to the WHO public health approach in Cameroon...
- Scale-up of antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa is accompanied by increasing HIV-1 drug resistance mutations in drug-naive patientsAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CREMER IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
AIDS 25:2183-8. 2011..To evaluate the frequency and progression over time of the WHO-defined transmitted HIV-1 drug resistance mutations (DRMs) among antiretroviral treatment (ART)-naive HIV-1-infected patients in Cameroon...
- High failure rate of the ViroSeq HIV-1 genotyping system for drug resistance testing in Cameroon, a country with broad HIV-1 genetic diversityAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CREMER IMPM IRD, Rue Elig Essono, P O Box 1857, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Clin Microbiol 49:1635-41. 2011..In this study, we used a panel of diverse HIV-1 group M isolates circulating in Cameroon to show that the performance of this assay can be altered by the sequence variation of non-B HIV-1 strains that predominate in African settings...
- Declining trends in early warning indicators for HIV drug resistance in Cameroon from 2008-2010: lessons and challenges for low-resource settingsJoseph Fokam
Chantal BIYA International Reference Centre CIRCB for research on HIV AIDS prevention and management, Yaounde, Cameroon
BMC Public Health 13:308. 2013....
- Inaccurate diagnosis of HIV-1 group M and O is a key challenge for ongoing universal access to antiretroviral treatment and HIV prevention in CameroonAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 4:e7702. 2009..We here evaluated currently used HIV diagnostic tests and algorithms in Cameroon for their ability to correctly identify HIV infections...
- Population-based monitoring of emerging HIV-1 drug resistance on antiretroviral therapy and associated factors in a sentinel site in Cameroon: low levels of resistance but poor programmatic performanceSerge C Billong
National HIV Drug Resistance Prevention and Surveillance Working Group, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 8:e72680. 2013..However, challenges in long-term ART, adherence and HIV drug resistance (HIVDR) itself, require monitoring to limit HIVDR emergence among ART-experienced populations, in order to ensure regimen efficacy...
- WHO clinical criteria-based initiation of antiretroviral therapy: lessons from rural district hospitals in Cameroon with regard to 2009 revised WHO recommendationsCharles Kouanfack
Central Hospital, Yaounde, Cameroon
Trop Med Int Health 15:580-3. 2010....
- Failure to detect simian immunodeficiency virus infection in a large Cameroonian cohort with high non-human primate exposureCyrille F Djoko
Global Viral Forecasting, Yaounde, Cameroon
Ecohealth 9:17-23. 2012....
- Lamivudine-resistant HBV infection in HIV-positive patients receiving antiretroviral therapy in a public routine clinic in CameroonCharles Kouanfack
Central Hospital, UMI 233, Yaounde, Cameroon
Antivir Ther 17:321-6. 2012..We assessed the HBV prevalence and the rate and pattern of lamivudine-resistant HBV mutations in Cameroonian HIV-infected, ART-treated patients...
- Extraordinary heterogeneity of virological outcomes in patients receiving highly antiretroviral therapy and monitored with the World Health Organization public health approach in sub-saharan Africa and southeast AsiaAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory, CREMER IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
Clin Infect Dis 58:99-109. 2014..We conducted a large cross-sectional study in Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Senegal, Togo, Thailand, and Vietnam to assess virological failure and drug resistance mutations (DRMs) after 12 or 24 months of ART...
- Genetic diversity of simian lentivirus in wild De Brazza's monkeys (Cercopithecus neglectus) in Equatorial AfricaAvelin F Aghokeng
Laboratoire Retrovirus, IRD UMR 145 VIH et Maladies Associées and the Department of International Health, University of Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
J Gen Virol 91:1810-6. 2010..These observations suggest a longstanding virus-host co-evolution. SIVdeb prevalence is high in wild De Brazza's populations and thus represents a current risk for humans exposed to these primates in central Africa...
- Full-length sequence analysis of SIVmus in wild populations of mustached monkeys (Cercopithecus cephus) from Cameroon provides evidence for two co-circulating SIVmus lineagesAvelin F Aghokeng
Laboratoire Retrovirus, UMR 145, IRD and the Department of International Health, University of Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
Virology 360:407-18. 2007..These results indicate that cross-species transmission and recombination play a major role in the evolution of primate lentiviruses among sympatric primate species...
- Characterization of a new simian immunodeficiency virus strain in a naturally infected Pan troglodytes troglodytes chimpanzee with AIDS related symptomsLucie Etienne
UMR145, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement IRD and Université Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Retrovirology 8:4. 2011..Here, we report a case of naturally-acquired SIVcpz infection in a P.t.troglodytes chimpanzee with clinical and biological data and analysis of viral evolution over the course of infection...
- Widely varying SIV prevalence rates in naturally infected primate species from CameroonAvelin F Aghokeng
Laboratoire Retrovirus, UMR145, IRD, Institute for Research and Development, Montpellier, France
Virology 345:174-89. 2006..The newly developed assays should now permit to define with greater accuracy existing SIV reservoirs and associated human zoonotic risk...
- Evaluation of transmitted HIV drug resistance among recently-infected antenatal clinic attendees in four Central African countriesAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CRESAR IMPM Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Yaounde, Cameroon
Antivir Ther 14:401-11. 2009..We evaluated the extent of transmission of drug-resistant HIV strains in four Central African countries: the Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, Chad and Cameroon...
- Drug resistance mutations of HIV type 1 non-B viruses to integrase inhibitors in treatment-naive patients from sub-saharan countries and discordant interpretationsMarjorie Monleau
UMI TransVIHMI, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Montpellier, France
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1157-60. 2012..These results illustrated the need of further in vitro and clinical studies involving non-B viruses to better understand the real significance of observed mutations and harmonize interpretations...
- Early warning indicators for HIV drug resistance in Cameroon during the year 2010Serge C Billong
National HIV Drug Resistance Surveillance and Prevention Working Group, HIVDR WG, National AIDS Control Committee, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 7:e36777. 2012..In order to sustain the effectiveness of ART in a resource-limited country like Cameroon, HIVDR early warning indicators (EWI) may provide relevant corrective measures to support the control and therapeutic management of AIDS...