Avelin F Aghokeng
- Virological outcome and patterns of HIV-1 drug resistance in patients with 36 months' antiretroviral therapy experience in CameroonAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CREMER IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Int AIDS Soc 16:18004. 2013..We assessed the virological outcome and drug resistance mutations in patients with 36 months' ART experience, and monitored according to the WHO public health approach in Cameroon...
- Scale-up of antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa is accompanied by increasing HIV-1 drug resistance mutations in drug-naive patientsAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CREMER IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
AIDS 25:2183-8. 2011..To evaluate the frequency and progression over time of the WHO-defined transmitted HIV-1 drug resistance mutations (DRMs) among antiretroviral treatment (ART)-naive HIV-1-infected patients in Cameroon...
- High failure rate of the ViroSeq HIV-1 genotyping system for drug resistance testing in Cameroon, a country with broad HIV-1 genetic diversityAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CREMER IMPM IRD, Rue Elig Essono, P O Box 1857, Yaounde, Cameroon
J Clin Microbiol 49:1635-41. 2011..In this study, we used a panel of diverse HIV-1 group M isolates circulating in Cameroon to show that the performance of this assay can be altered by the sequence variation of non-B HIV-1 strains that predominate in African settings...
- Declining trends in early warning indicators for HIV drug resistance in Cameroon from 2008-2010: lessons and challenges for low-resource settingsJoseph Fokam
Chantal BIYA International Reference Centre CIRCB for research on HIV AIDS prevention and management, Yaounde, Cameroon
BMC Public Health 13:308. 2013....
- Inaccurate diagnosis of HIV-1 group M and O is a key challenge for ongoing universal access to antiretroviral treatment and HIV prevention in CameroonAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory IMPM IRD, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 4:e7702. 2009..We here evaluated currently used HIV diagnostic tests and algorithms in Cameroon for their ability to correctly identify HIV infections...
- Population-Based Monitoring of Emerging HIV-1 Drug Resistance on Antiretroviral Therapy and Associated Factors in a Sentinel Site in Cameroon: Low Levels of Resistance but Poor Programmatic PerformanceSerge C Billong
National HIV Drug Resistance Prevention and Surveillance Working Group, Yaounde, Cameroon National AIDS Control Committee, Central Technical Group, Yaounde, Cameroon Faculty of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences of the University of Yaounde 1, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 8:e72680. 2013..However, challenges in long-term ART, adherence and HIV drug resistance (HIVDR) itself, require monitoring to limit HIVDR emergence among ART-experienced populations, in order to ensure regimen efficacy...
- WHO clinical criteria-based initiation of antiretroviral therapy: lessons from rural district hospitals in Cameroon with regard to 2009 revised WHO recommendationsCharles Kouanfack
Central Hospital, Yaounde, Cameroon
Trop Med Int Health 15:580-3. 2010....
- Failure to detect simian immunodeficiency virus infection in a large Cameroonian cohort with high non-human primate exposureCyrille F Djoko
Global Viral Forecasting, Yaounde, Cameroon
Ecohealth 9:17-23. 2012....
- Lamivudine-resistant HBV infection in HIV-positive patients receiving antiretroviral therapy in a public routine clinic in CameroonCharles Kouanfack
Central Hospital, UMI 233, Yaounde, Cameroon
Antivir Ther 17:321-6. 2012..We assessed the HBV prevalence and the rate and pattern of lamivudine-resistant HBV mutations in Cameroonian HIV-infected, ART-treated patients...
- Genetic diversity of simian lentivirus in wild De Brazza's monkeys (Cercopithecus neglectus) in Equatorial AfricaAvelin F Aghokeng
Laboratoire Retrovirus, IRD UMR 145 VIH et Maladies Associées and the Department of International Health, University of Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
J Gen Virol 91:1810-6. 2010..These observations suggest a longstanding virus-host co-evolution. SIVdeb prevalence is high in wild De Brazza's populations and thus represents a current risk for humans exposed to these primates in central Africa...
- Full-length sequence analysis of SIVmus in wild populations of mustached monkeys (Cercopithecus cephus) from Cameroon provides evidence for two co-circulating SIVmus lineagesAvelin F Aghokeng
Laboratoire Retrovirus, UMR 145, IRD and the Department of International Health, University of Montpellier I, Montpellier, France
Virology 360:407-18. 2007..These results indicate that cross-species transmission and recombination play a major role in the evolution of primate lentiviruses among sympatric primate species...
- Characterization of a new simian immunodeficiency virus strain in a naturally infected Pan troglodytes troglodytes chimpanzee with AIDS related symptomsLucie Etienne
UMR145, Institut de Recherche pour le Développement IRD and Université Montpellier 1, Montpellier, France
Retrovirology 8:4. 2011..Here, we report a case of naturally-acquired SIVcpz infection in a P.t.troglodytes chimpanzee with clinical and biological data and analysis of viral evolution over the course of infection...
- Widely varying SIV prevalence rates in naturally infected primate species from CameroonAvelin F Aghokeng
Laboratoire Retrovirus, UMR145, IRD, Institute for Research and Development, Montpellier, France
Virology 345:174-89. 2006..The newly developed assays should now permit to define with greater accuracy existing SIV reservoirs and associated human zoonotic risk...
- Evaluation of transmitted HIV drug resistance among recently-infected antenatal clinic attendees in four Central African countriesAvelin F Aghokeng
Virology Laboratory CRESAR IMPM Institut de Recherche pour le Développement, Yaounde, Cameroon
Antivir Ther 14:401-11. 2009..We evaluated the extent of transmission of drug-resistant HIV strains in four Central African countries: the Republic of Congo, Central African Republic, Chad and Cameroon...
- Drug resistance mutations of HIV type 1 non-B viruses to integrase inhibitors in treatment-naive patients from sub-saharan countries and discordant interpretationsMarjorie Monleau
UMI TransVIHMI, Institut de Recherche pour le Developpement, Montpellier, France
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 28:1157-60. 2012..These results illustrated the need of further in vitro and clinical studies involving non-B viruses to better understand the real significance of observed mutations and harmonize interpretations...
- Early warning indicators for HIV drug resistance in Cameroon during the year 2010Serge C Billong
National HIV Drug Resistance Surveillance and Prevention Working Group, HIVDR WG, National AIDS Control Committee, Yaounde, Cameroon
PLoS ONE 7:e36777. 2012..In order to sustain the effectiveness of ART in a resource-limited country like Cameroon, HIVDR early warning indicators (EWI) may provide relevant corrective measures to support the control and therapeutic management of AIDS...