Affiliation: Valio Ltd
- Probiotics reduce the prevalence of oral candida in the elderly--a randomized controlled trialK Hatakka
Valio Ltd, R and D, PO Box 30, FIN 00039 Helsinki, Finland
J Dent Res 86:125-30. 2007..25, 95%CI 0.10-0.65, p = 0.004), and the risk of hyposalivation by 56% (OR = 0.44, 95%CI 0.19-1.01, p = 0.05). Thus, probiotic bacteria can be effective in controlling oral Candida and hyposalivation in the elderly...
- Treatment of acute otitis media with probiotics in otitis-prone children-a double-blind, placebo-controlled randomised studyKatja Hatakka
Valio Ltd, R and D, FIN 00039 Helsinki, Finland
Clin Nutr 26:314-21. 2007..To examine whether probiotics would reduce the occurrence or duration of acute otitis media (AOM), or the nasopharyngeal carriage of otitis pathogens in otitis-prone children...
- Probiotics in intestinal and non-intestinal infectious diseases--clinical evidenceK Hatakka
Valio R and D, P O Box 30, FIN 00039 Valio, Helsinki, Finland
Curr Pharm Des 14:1351-67. 2008....
- Factors associated with acute respiratory illness in day care childrenKatja Hatakka
Valio R and D, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 42:704-11. 2010..Parental and environmental factors had a significant impact on recurrent ARI and AOM episodes in children attending DCCs. These risk factors should be considered in future studies intending to reduce DCC infections...
- Recovery of probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG in tonsil tissue after oral administration: randomised, placebo-controlled, double-blind clinical trialMinna Kumpu
Valio Limited, PO Box 10, FI 00039 Valio, Helsinki, Finland
Br J Nutr 109:2240-6. 2013..Further clinical trials are warranted to evaluate whether probiotic adherence in the tonsil tissue could have a role in respiratory symptom prevalence...
- Effect of accurate diagnostic criteria on incidence of acute otitis media in otitis-prone childrenKarin Blomgren
Helsinki University Hospital, Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 36:6-9. 2004..AOM is frequently over-diagnosed. Use of proper diagnostic criteria, the pneumatic otoscope, and tympanometry can help correct diagnosis, and thereby reduce incidence of AOM...
- A probiotic mixture including galactooligosaccharides decreases fecal β-glucosidase activity but does not affect serum enterolactone concentration in men during a two-week interventionRiina A Kekkonen
Valio Research Centre, FIN 00039 Helsinki, Finland
J Nutr 141:870-6. 2011..Because probiotics with GOS decreased fecal β-glucosidase activity but not serum enterolactone, the reduced fecal β-glucosidase, within the range of activities measured, does not seem to limit the formation of enterolactone...
- Persistence of probiotic strains in the gastrointestinal tract when administered as capsules, yoghurt, or cheeseMaija Saxelin
Valio Ltd, Research and Development, P O Box 30, FI 00039 Valio, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Food Microbiol 144:293-300. 2010....
- The influence of Lactobacillus rhamnosus LC705 together with Propionibacterium freudenreichii ssp. shermanii JS on potentially carcinogenic bacterial activity in human colonKatja Hatakka
Valio Ltd, R and D, P O Box 30, FIN 00039 Helsinki, Finland
Int J Food Microbiol 128:406-10. 2008..003). To conclude, the administration of LC705 and PJS was followed by an increase in the fecal counts of lactobacilli and propionibacteria and a decrease in the activity of beta-glucosidase with increasing counts of propionibacteria...
- Allergy in day care children: prevalence and environmental risk factorsKatja Hatakka
Valio R and D, Helsinki, Finland
Acta Paediatr 98:817-22. 2009..To investigate the prevalence of atopic disease among Finnish day care children and the relationship between atopy and environmental factors...
- The use of the probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG and viral findings in the nasopharynx of children attending day careMinna Kumpu
Valio Ltd, Helsinki, Finland
J Med Virol 85:1632-8. 2013....
- Presence of viral and bacterial pathogens in the nasopharynx of otitis-prone children. A prospective studyAnne Pitkaranta
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, POB 220, FIN 00029 Helsinki, Finland
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 70:647-54. 2006....