Affiliation: University of Turku
- The reliability of diagnosis of infection during revision arthroplastiesP Virolainen
Department of Surgery, University of Turku, Finland
Scand J Surg 91:178-81. 2002..However, diagnosis of low grade chronic infection is extremely demanding...
- Effect of postoperative irradiation on free skin flaps: an experimental study in ratsPetri Virolainen
Department of Surgery, University of Turku, Turku, Finland
Scand J Plast Reconstr Surg Hand Surg 36:257-61. 2002..In the future the model described could be used to study the effects of combination therapy of surgery, radiotherapy, and chemotherapy more closely to find the optimal control of malignancies with limited damage to treated tissue...
- High tibial osteotomy for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a review of the literature and a meta-analysis of follow-up studiesPetri Virolainen
Department of Surgery, Turku University Hospital, Kiinamyllynkatu 8 10, 20520 Turku, Finland
Arch Orthop Trauma Surg 124:258-61. 2004..A meta-analysis, a set of statistical procedures designed to accumulate experimental and correlational results across independent studies, was undertaken to determine the final outcome of high tibial osteotomy of the knee...
- Up to 10 years follow up of the use of 71 cortical allografts (strut-grafts) for the treatment of periprosthetic fracturesP Virolainen
Department of Orthopedics and Traumatology, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Scand J Surg 99:240-3. 2010..Use of allograft strut combined with a nonlocking plate, which offers the highest stiffness known, may provide superior bio-mechanical stability compared with other methods in some situations...
- Early results of large head metal-on-metal hip arthroplastiesI Kostensalo
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Scand J Surg 101:62-5. 2012..The goal of this study was to evaluate a large head metal-on-metal total hip arthroplasties and analyse short term complications related to them...
- Cemented versus cementless total hip replacements in patients fifty-five years of age or older with rheumatoid arthritisKeijo T Mäkelä
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Turku University Central Hospital, Luolavuorentie 2, PL 28, 20701 Turku, Finland
J Bone Joint Surg Am 93:178-86. 2011..The aim of this study was to analyze population-based survival rates for cemented and cementless total hip replacements in patients aged fifty-five years or over with rheumatoid arthritis in Finland...
- Pharmacokinetics of intravenous paracetamol in elderly patientsAntti Liukas
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care, Emergency Care and Pain Medicine, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Clin Pharmacokinet 50:121-9. 2011..We also considered the effect of adenosine triphosphate-binding cassette G2 protein (ABCG2) genotype and renal function on paracetamol pharmacokinetics in these patients...
- Elimination of intravenous oxycodone in the elderly: a pharmacokinetic study in postoperative orthopaedic patients of different age groupsAntti Liukas
Department of Anesthesiology, Intensive Care, Emergency Care and Pain Medicine, University of Turku and Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Drugs Aging 28:41-50. 2011..This study was designed to determine the effect of age on the pharmacokinetics of intravenous oxycodone, with special reference to renal function in elderly patients...
- Cementless Total Hip Arthroplasty with Large Diameter Metal-on-Metal Heads: Short-Term Survivorship of 8059 Hips from the Finnish Arthroplasty RegisterJ Mokka
Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Surgical Hospital, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Scand J Surg 102:117-23. 2013..The second aim of this study was to compare the cementless large diameter head metal-on-metal models with each other...
- Local infiltration analgesia with levobupivacaine compared with intrathecal morphine in total hip arthroplasty patientsR Rikalainen-Salmi
Department of Anaesthesiology, Intensive Care, Emergency Care and Pain Medicine, Turku University Hospital, Turku, Finland
Acta Anaesthesiol Scand 56:695-705. 2012..We hypothesized that LIA would offer equal analgesic efficacy but less adverse effects, e.g., nausea and vomiting, when compared with an established regimen [intrathecal morphine (it-M)] after THA...
- The effect of multidrug chemotherapy on bone graft augmented prosthesis fixationPetri Virolainen
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Orthopaedic Biomechanics Laboratory, Johns Hopkins University, The Ross Research Building, 720 Rutland Avenue, Room 235 Baltimore, MD 21205 2196, USA
J Orthop Res 23:795-801. 2005..Extracortical bone grafting is an effective modality for implant fixation even under intensive chemotherapy...