Affiliation: University of Oulu
- 3D active stabilization system with sub-micrometer resolutionOlli Kursu
Department of Electrical and Information Engineering and Infotech Oulu, Electronics Laboratory, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
PLoS ONE 7:e42733. 2012..These results, and possible improvements of the system, are discussed with a focus on possible ways to increase the sensor's force sensitivity without compromising overall system bandwidth...
- A novel estimator for the rate of information transfer by continuous signalsJouni Takalo
Department of Physics, Biophysics and Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Oulun yliopisto, Finland
PLoS ONE 6:e18792. 2011..In addition to these examples, the method is applicable to a wide range of continuous time series commonly observed in the natural sciences, economics and engineering...
- A minimally invasive displacement sensor for measuring brain micromotion in 3D with nanometer scale resolutionMikko Vähäsöyrinki
Department of Physical Sciences, Division of Biophysics and Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, Oulun yliopisto 90014, Finland
J Neurosci Methods 180:290-5. 2009..We quantify the sensor performance and demonstrate its capabilities with an in vivo measurement of blowfly brain micromotion in a preparation commonly used for electrophysiology...
- Postembryonic developmental changes in photoreceptors of the stick insect Carausius morosus enhance the shift to an adult nocturnal life-styleRoman Frolov
Department of Physics, Division of Biophysics, University of Oulu, Oulun yliopisto, Finland
J Neurosci 32:16821-31. 2012..This also has implications for how photoreceptors achieve optimal performance...
- Membrane filtering properties of the bumblebee (Bombus terrestris) photoreceptors across three spectral classesAntti Vähäkainu
Department of Physics, University of Oulu, P O Box 3000, Oulu 90014, Finland
J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol 199:629-39. 2013..In general, our results provide a compelling example of filtering at the sensory cell level where the biophysical properties of the membrane are matched to the performance requirements set by visual ecology. ..
- Ultrasmall and customizable multichannel electrodes for extracellular recordingsArto Piironen
Department of Physics, Biophysics and Biocenter Oulu, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
J Neurophysiol 105:1416-21. 2011..The electrodes were designed to minimize damage to neuronal circuitry and to be fully customizable in three dimensions so that their dimensions can be optimally matched to those of the targeted neuron population...
- Cellular elements for seeing in the dark: voltage-dependent conductances in cockroach photoreceptorsIikka Salmela
Department of Physics, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
BMC Neurosci 13:93. 2012..Here we present the characterization of electrical properties in photoreceptors of the cockroach (Periplaneta americana), a nocturnal insect with a visual system adapted for dim light...