Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- What may help or hinder the implementation of computerized decision support systems (CDSSs): a focus group study with physiciansHelena Varonen
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, University of Helsinki, Helsinki
Fam Pract 25:162-7. 2008..To identify potential barriers and facilitators to implementing computerized decision support systems (CDSSs) in health care as perceived by clinicians...
- Return-to-work policies in Finnish occupational health servicesSirkku Kivistö
Work and Mental Health Team, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41aA, FIN 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Occup Med (Lond) 58:88-93. 2008..To describe return-to-work services for employees on sick leave offered by Finnish occupational health services (OHS)...
- Recommended and prescribed symptomatic treatment for acute maxillary sinusitis in Finnish primary careJohanna Pulkki
National Public Health Institute, Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, Turku, Finland
Rhinology 45:197-201. 2007..Especially, the use of antihistamines with or without sympathomimetics, mostly the combination of acrivastine and pseudoephedrine, was common although antihistamines were recommended only for patients with allergy or nasal polyps...
- Factors associated with self-assessed work abilityKari Pekka Martimo
Centre of Expertise for Health and Work Ability, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Topeliuksenkatu 41 a A, FI 00250 Helsinki, Finland
Occup Med (Lond) 57:380-2. 2007..Symptoms and health problems caused or aggravated by work are common. In order to study perceived work ability and associated factors, including those related to work, a closer analysis was undertaken in an occupational health setting...
- The association between carotid intima-media thickness and sciaticaRahman Shiri
Musculoskeletal Disorders, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Semin Arthritis Rheum 37:174-81. 2007..However, the association between atherosclerosis and sciatica remains unknown. The aim of this study was to investigate the association between carotid intima-media thickness and sciatica...
- Implementing guidelines on acute maxillary sinusitis in general practice--a randomized controlled trialHelena Varonen
Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Fam Pract 24:201-6. 2007..Guidelines have been proposed as a means to change the professional practices...
- Cost-effectiveness of implementing national guidelines in the treatment of acute otitis media in childrenHanna Koskinen
Social Insurance Institution and National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 22:454-9. 2006..New evidence-based guidelines for AOM, focusing on children under 7 years of age, were introduced in Finland in 1999. The aim of this study was to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of implementing those guidelines in Finland...
- Prevalence and determinants of lateral and medial epicondylitis: a population studyRahman Shiri
Musculoskeletal Centre, Finnish Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Epidemiol 164:1065-74. 2006..Epicondylitis is relatively common among working-age individuals in the general population. Physical load factors, smoking, and obesity are strong determinants of epicondylitis...
- Management of pain in acute otitis media in Finnish primary careJohanna Pulkki
Department of Bacterial and Inflammatory Diseases, National Public Health Institute, Turku, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 38:265-7. 2006..These data comprised 3059 Finnish primary care acute otitis media patients. We found that 10.4% of the patients were prescribed or recommended analgesics, which is in contrast to treatment recommendations...
- The Antimicrobial Treatment Strategies (MIKSTRA) program: a 5-year follow-up of infection-specific antibiotic use in primary health care and the effect of implementation of treatment guidelinesUlla Maija Rautakorpi
Finnish Office for Health Technology Assessment, National Research and Development Center for Welfare and Health, Helsinki, Finland
Clin Infect Dis 42:1221-30. 2006..A national 5-year follow-up study of infection-specific antibiotic use in primary care was conducted to see if prescribing practices change after implementing new treatment guidelines...
- Electronic primary care guidelines with links to Cochrane reviews--EBM GuidelinesHelena Varonen
The Finnish Medical Society Duodecim, 00100 Helskinki, Finland
Fam Pract 22:465-9. 2005..We also discuss the barriers and facilitators to our process and present ideas for future development...
- Acute sinusitis: Finnish clinical practice guidelinesKarin Blomgren
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 37:245-50. 2005..Recommendations given are based on the principles of evidence-based medicine, with the level of evidence presented...
- Management of acute maxillary sinusitis in Finnish primary care. Results from the nationwide MIKSTRA studyHelena Varonen
Finnish Medical Society Duodecim, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Prim Health Care 22:122-7. 2004..To study the management of acute maxillary sinusitis (AMS) in Finnish primary care and to compare it both to recommendations in national guidelines and to the management of other upper respiratory tract infections (URTI)...
- [On the way to the diagnosis. Diagnosis belongs to the doctor's basic skills, which can be improved]Ilkka Kunnamo
Duodecim 120:914-6. 2004
- Patients' and physicians' views on the management of acute maxillary sinusitisHelena Varonen
National Research and Development Centre for Welfare and Health STAKES, Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Prim Health Care 22:22-6. 2004..To study the views of patients and physicians on the management of suspected acute maxillary sinusitis and on suggested changes in practice...
- Treatment of acute rhinosinusitis diagnosed by clinical criteria or ultrasound in primary care. A placebo-controlled randomised trialHelena Varonen
Department of Otorhinolaryngology, University of Helsinki, Finland
Scand J Prim Health Care 21:121-6. 2003..To compare antibiotics and placebo in patients with clinically diagnosed acute maxillary sinusitis (AMS). To study whether sinus ultrasound examination would help to detect those patients who benefit from antibiotic therapy...
- Diagnostic tools in respiratory tract infections: use and comparison with Finnish guidelinesPekka Olavi Honkanen
Department of Public Health Science and General Practice, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Scand J Infect Dis 34:827-30. 2002..Diagnostic tests were underused in respiratory tract infections compared to evidence-based recommendations...