Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Childhood family background and mortality differences by income in adulthood: fixed-effects analysis of Finnish siblingsLasse Tarkiainen
1 Population Research Unit, Department of Social Research, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Public Health 25:305-10. 2015..We studied whether childhood conditions explain the observed all-cause and cause-specific mortality disparity between income groups in adulthood...
- Social differences in avoidable mortality between small areas of 15 European cities: an ecological studyRasmus Hoffmann
Department of Public Health, Erasmus Medical Center, P, O, Box 2040, Rotterdam, CA 3000, The Netherlands
Int J Health Geogr 13:8. 2014..This study presents maps of avoidable mortality in European cities and analyses differences in avoidable mortality between neighbourhoods with different levels of deprivation...
- The contribution of health policy and care to income differences in life expectancy--a register based cohort studyKristiina Manderbacka
Service System Research Unit, National Institute for Health and Welfare, P, O, Box 30, Helsinki 00271, Finland
BMC Public Health 13:812. 2013..This study aimed to assess the impact of mortality amenable to health policy and health care on increasing income disparities in life expectancy in 1996-2007 in Finland...
- The changing relationship between income and mortality in Finland, 1988-2007Lasse Tarkiainen
Population Research Unit, Department of Social Research, University of Helsinki, P O Box 18, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 67:21-7. 2013..The aim of this study was to investigate whether the changing socio-demographic composition explains the increasing disparity in mortality by income and the stagnation of mortality in the lowest income group...
- Trends in life expectancy by income from 1988 to 2007: decomposition by age and cause of deathLasse Tarkiainen
Population Research Unit, Department of Social Research, University of Helsinki, PO Box 18, Helsinki FIN 00014, Finland
J Epidemiol Community Health 66:573-8. 2012..Less attention has been paid to mortality trends across income groups than those measured by other socioeconomic indicators. This study assessed the change in life expectancy by income over 20 years in the Finnish general population...
- Comparing the effects of neighbourhood characteristics on all-cause mortality using two hierarchical areal units in the capital region of HelsinkiLasse Tarkiainen
Population Research Unit, Department of Sociology, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Health Place 16:409-12. 2010..This was also the case for the effect of the proportion of manual workers in the area on mortality. Our results imply that the choice of area scale will not lead to serious underestimation of neighbourhood effects in mortality...
- Housing wealth and mortality: A register linkage study of the Finnish populationMikko Laaksonen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Soc Sci Med 69:754-60. 2009..Measures of housing wealth may therefore provide useful social classifications for studies on poor health and mortality especially in older age groups where most deaths occur...
- The contribution of education, social class and economic activity to the income-mortality association in alcohol-related and other mortality in Finland in 1988-2012Lasse Tarkiainen
Population Research Unit, Department of Social Research, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Addiction 111:456-64. 2016..Secondly, to estimate the degree to which education, social class and economic activity explain the income-mortality association in alcohol-related and other mortality in four periods within 1988-2012...