Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Does urban vegetation mitigate air pollution in northern conditions?Heikki Setälä
University of Helsinki, Department of Environmental Sciences, Niemenkatu 73, FIN 15140 Lahti, Finland Electronic address
Environ Pollut 183:104-12. 2013..Our results suggest that the ability of urban vegetation to remove air pollutants is minor in northern climates. ..
- Decomposition rate of organic substrates in relation to the species diversity of soil saprophytic fungiHeikki Setälä
Department of Ecological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Niemenkatu 73, 15140 Lahti, Finland
Oecologia 139:98-107. 2004..This diversity effect was, however, significant at the species-poor end of the diversity gradient only, which implies considerable functional equivalency (redundancy) among the decomposer fungi...
- The fate of lead at abandoned and active shooting ranges in a boreal pine forestSalla Selonen
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Lahti, Finland
Environ Toxicol Chem 31:2771-9. 2012..Deeper in the organic soil layer, weathering of Pb pellets enhanced Pb availability and leaching, indicating an increased risk of groundwater contamination over time at shooting sites located above aquifers...
- Lead contamination of an old shooting range affecting the local ecosystem--A case study with a holistic approachMinna Liisa Rantalainen
Department of Ecological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Niemenkatu 73, FI 15140 Lahti, Finland
Sci Total Environ 369:99-108. 2006..The relative importance of these factors and the mechanisms behind them will be investigated in forthcoming studies...
- Can the soil fauna of boreal forests recover from lead-derived stress in a shooting range area?Salla Selonen
Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Niemenkatu 73, 15140, Lahti, Finland
Ecotoxicology 23:437-48. 2014....