Affiliation: University of Oulu
- Cranberry juice for the prevention of recurrences of urinary tract infections in children: a randomized placebo-controlled trialJarmo Salo
Department of Paediatrics, Oulu University Hospital, University of Oulu, Finland
Clin Infect Dis 54:340-6. 2012..Cranberry juice prevents recurrences of urinary tract infections (UTIs) in adult women. The objective of this study was to evaluate whether cranberry juice is effective in preventing UTI recurrences in children...
- Biofilm formation by Escherichia coli isolated from patients with urinary tract infectionsJ Salo
Department of Pediatrics, Oulu University Hospital, Finland
Clin Nephrol 71:501-7. 2009..We wanted to find out whether Escherichia coli (E. coli) strains isolated from UTI patients differ in their ability to form biofilms and whether this ability is associated with the clinical presentation of UTI...
- Childhood urinary tract infections as a cause of chronic kidney diseaseJarmo Salo
Department of Pediatrics, Institute of Clinical Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Oulu, Oulu, Finland
Pediatrics 128:840-7. 2011..Urinary tract infections (UTIs) in childhood are considered a risk for chronic kidney disease (CKD), but this association is poorly verified. We wanted to determine the etiologic fraction of UTIs in childhood as a cause of CKD...
- Biofilm formation and virulence of uropathogenic Escherichia coli in urine after consumption of cranberry-lingonberry juiceT Tapiainen
Department of Pediatrics, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, 90014, Oulu, Finland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 31:655-62. 2012..04). It appears that the effect of CLJ in preventing UTIs is not explained by mechanisms that reduce biofilm formation or the expression of selected virulence genes of Escherichia coli in urine...
- Estrogen enhances differentiation of osteoblasts in mouse bone marrow cultureQ Qu
Biocenter and Department of Anatomy, University of Oulu, Finland
Bone 22:201-9. 1998..In conclusion, our results demonstrate that E2 stimulates sequential differentiation of osteoblasts and increases deposition and mineralization of matrix in mouse bone marrow cultures in an estrogen receptor-dependent manner...
- Escherichia coli biofilm formation and recurrences of urinary tract infections in childrenT Tapiainen
Department of Paediatrics, University of Oulu, P O Box 5000, Kajaanintie 50, 90029, Oulu, Finland
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 33:111-5. 2014..It would be valuable in the future to analyze whether the biofilm properties of E. coli observed in vitro predict a slower clinical response to antimicrobial treatment and increased renal scar formation after UTI. ..