Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- Neurturin evokes MAPK-dependent upregulation of Egr4 and KCC2 in developing neuronsAnastasia Ludwig
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 4, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Neural Plast 2011:1-8. 2011..These results show that Egr4 is an important component in the mechanism for trophic factor-mediated upregulation of KCC2 in immature neurons involving the activation of specific intracellular pathways common to BDNF and Neurturin...
- Mechanism of activity-dependent downregulation of the neuron-specific K-Cl cotransporter KCC2Claudio Rivera
Department of Biosciences, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, FIN 00014 Finland
J Neurosci 24:4683-91. 2004..A downregulation of KCC2 may be a general early response involved in various kinds of neuronal trauma...
- BDNF-induced TrkB activation down-regulates the K+-Cl- cotransporter KCC2 and impairs neuronal Cl- extrusionClaudio Rivera
Department of Biosciences, Division of Animal Physiology, Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Cell Biol 159:747-52. 2002....
- KCC2 interacts with the dendritic cytoskeleton to promote spine developmentHong Li
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 4, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Neuron 56:1019-33. 2007..1N may play an important role. A more general conclusion based on our data is that KCC2 acts as a synchronizing factor in the functional development of glutamatergic and GABAergic synapses in cortical neurons and networks...
- Agonist occupancy is essential for forward trafficking of AMPA receptorsSarah K Coleman
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, Division of Biochemistry, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 29:303-12. 2009..Our results are consistent with the hypothesis that AMPA receptors are synthesized as intrinsically unstable molecules, which require glutamate binding for structural stability and for transport-competence...
- Early growth response 4 mediates BDNF induction of potassium chloride cotransporter 2 transcriptionAnastasia Ludwig
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Viikki Biocenter, Viikinkaari 9, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 31:644-9. 2011..These results indicate that Egr4 is an important component in the mechanism of BDNF-dependent KCC2 gene regulation via the ERK1/2 pathway in immature neurons...
- Distinct properties of functional KCC2 expression in immature mouse hippocampal neurons in culture and in acute slicesStanislav Khirug
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Neurosci 21:899-904. 2005....
- Cation-chloride cotransporters and neuronal functionPeter Blaesse
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 1, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
Neuron 61:820-38. 2009..The rapidly expanding work on CCCs promotes our understanding of fundamental mechanisms that control brain development and functions under normal and pathophysiological conditions...
- A novel method for monitoring surface membrane trafficking on hippocampal acute slice preparationJudith Thomas-Crusells
Program for Molecular Neurobiology, Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Viikki Biocenter, FIN 00014, Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci Methods 125:159-66. 2003....
- Slow endogenous activity transients and developmental expression of K+-Cl- cotransporter 2 in the immature human cortexSampsa Vanhatalo
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, P O Box 65, 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Neurosci 22:2799-804. 2005..Our work indicates that slow endogenous activity transients in the immature human neocortex are mostly confined to the prenatal stage and appear to be terminated in parallel with the maturation of functional GABAergic inhibition...
- Coexpression and heteromerization of two neuronal K-Cl cotransporter isoforms in neonatal brainPavel Uvarov
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 4, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 284:13696-704. 2009..Consistent with this, native gel analysis shows that a substantial part of endogenous KCC2 isoforms in the neonatal brain constitute dimers...
- Defining mechanisms of actin polymerization and depolymerization during dendritic spine morphogenesisPirta Hotulainen
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki FI 00014, Finland
J Cell Biol 185:323-39. 2009..Finally, we show that perturbation of these key steps in actin dynamics results in altered synaptic transmission...
- A novel N-terminal isoform of the neuron-specific K-Cl cotransporter KCC2Pavel Uvarov
Neuroscience Center, Viikinkaari 4, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 282:30570-6. 2007....
- Distribution of neuronal KCC2a and KCC2b isoforms in mouse CNSMarika Markkanen
Department of Anatomy, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Helsinki, FI 00014, Helsinki, Finland
J Comp Neurol 522:1897-914. 2014..The results, together with those of previous studies, suggest that KCC2a and KCC2b have overlapping roles in neonatal neurons but presumably different roles in mature neurons...
- Microtechnologies to fuel neurobiological research with nanometer precisionCecilia A Brunello
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, P O Box 56, Viikinkaari 4, FI 00014, Helsinki, Finland
J Nanobiotechnology 11:11. 2013..Here we review some of the compartmentalization techniques developed so far to highlight how high-precision control of neuronal connectivity allows new approaches for studying axonal and synaptic biology...
- Patterns of cation-chloride cotransporter expression during embryonic rodent CNS developmentHong Li
Institute of Biotechnology, PO Box 56, Viikinkaari 9C, FIN 00014 University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Neurosci 16:2358-70. 2002..These unique spatiotemporal expression patterns of distinct CCCs during embryonic development suggests that Cl- regulatory mechanisms are critically involved in the control of neuronal development...
- Cation-chloride co-transporters in neuronal communication, development and traumaJohn A Payne
Department of Human Physiology, School of Medicine, University of California, One Shields Avenue, Davis, CA 95616, USA
Trends Neurosci 26:199-206. 2003....
- Developmental up-regulation of KCC2 in the absence of GABAergic and glutamatergic transmissionAnastasia Ludwig
Institute of Biotechnology, FIN 00014, University of Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Neurosci 18:3199-206. 2003..These data show that neither neuronal spiking nor ionotropic glutamatergic and GABAergic transmission are required for the developmental expression of KCC2 in mouse hippocampal neurons in vitro...
- Carbonic anhydrase isoform VII acts as a molecular switch in the development of synchronous gamma-frequency firing of hippocampal CA1 pyramidal cellsEva Ruusuvuori
Department of Biosciences and Institute of Biotechnology, Viikki Biocenter, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 24:2699-707. 2004..These results point to a crucial role for the developmental expression of intrapyramidal carbonic anhydrase VII activity in shaping integrative functions, long-term plasticity and susceptibility to epileptogenesis...
- Two developmental switches in GABAergic signalling: the K+-Cl- cotransporter KCC2 and carbonic anhydrase CAVIIClaudio Rivera
Institute of Biotechnology, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Physiol 562:27-36. 2005....
- Posttraumatic GABA(A)-mediated [Ca2+]i increase is essential for the induction of brain-derived neurotrophic factor-dependent survival of mature central neuronsAnastasia Shulga
Institute of Biotechnology, Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, and Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 28:6996-7005. 2008..This is likely mediated through BDNF itself, because injured neurons reverse their response to this neurotrophin by switching the BDNF-induced downregulation of KCC2 to upregulation...
- Perturbed chloride homeostasis and GABAergic signaling in human temporal lobe epilepsyGilles Huberfeld
INSERM U739, Faculté de Médecine Pitié Salpêtrière, Universite Pierre et Marie Curie Paris 6, IFR70, CHU Pitie Salpetriere, 75013 Paris, France
J Neurosci 27:9866-73. 2007..Changes in Cl- transporter expression thus contribute to human epileptiform activity, and molecules acting on these transporters may be useful antiepileptic drugs...
- Upregulation of the neuron-specific K+/Cl- cotransporter expression by transcription factor early growth response 4Pavel Uvarov
Neuroscience Center, University of Helsinki, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
J Neurosci 26:13463-73. 2006..Together, the results indicate an important role for Egr4 in the developmental upregulation of KCC2 gene expression...
- Interaction between SAP97 and PSD-95, two Maguk proteins involved in synaptic trafficking of AMPA receptorsChunlin Cai
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Finland
J Biol Chem 281:4267-73. 2006..Our results demonstrated a direct interaction between SAP97 and PSD-95 and suggested that this association may play a functional role in the trafficking and clustering of AMPA receptors...
- Experimental febrile seizures are precipitated by a hyperthermia-induced respiratory alkalosisSebastian Schuchmann
Department of Biological and Environmental Sciences, University of Helsinki, Viikinkaari 1 POB 65, 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Nat Med 12:817-23. 2006..Our work indicates a mechanism for triggering hyperthermic seizures and suggests new strategies in the research and therapy of fever-related epileptic syndromes...