Kirsi Hannele Pietiläinen
Affiliation: University of Helsinki
- GLP-1 responses are heritable and blunted in acquired obesity with high liver fat and insulin resistanceNiina Matikainen
Corresponding author Kirsi H Pietiläinen
Diabetes Care 37:242-51. 2014..CONCLUSIONS Whereas the GLP-1 response to the OGTT is heritable, an acquired unhealthy pattern of obesity characterized by liver fat accumulation and insulin resistance is closely related to impaired GLP-1 response in young adults. ..
- Adipose co-expression networks across Finns and Mexicans identify novel triglyceride-associated genesBlake E Haas
Department of Human Genetics, Gonda Center, Los Angeles, California, 90095 7088, USA
BMC Med Genomics 5:61. 2012..Fat is stored in the form of TGs in human adipose tissue. We hypothesized that gene co-expression networks in human adipose tissue may be correlated with serum TG levels and help reveal novel genes involved in TG regulation...
- Agreement of bioelectrical impedance with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry and MRI to estimate changes in body fat, skeletal muscle and visceral fat during a 12-month weight loss interventionKirsi H Pietiläinen
Obesity Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Helsinki University Central Hospital, University of Helsinki, Biomedicum 1, Haartmaninkatu 8, PO Box 700, FIN 00029 HUCH, Finland
Br J Nutr 109:1910-6. 2013..BIA is at its best when assessing the amount or changes in fat mass. It is a useful method for measuring skeletal muscle, but limited in its ability to measure visceral fat...
- Does dieting make you fat? A twin studyK H Pietiläinen
Obesity Research Unit, Department of Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine and Department of Psychiatry, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Obes (Lond) 36:456-64. 2012..To investigate whether the paradoxical weight gain associated with dieting is better related to genetic propensity to weight gain than to the weight loss episodes themselves...
- Inaccuracies in food and physical activity diaries of obese subjects: complementary evidence from doubly labeled water and co-twin assessmentsK H Pietiläinen
Department of Psychiatry, Obesity Research Unit, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:437-45. 2010..To study whether eating or physical-activity (PA) habits differ between obese and non-obese monozygotic (MZ) co-twins independent of genetic effects...
- HDL subspecies in young adult twins: heritability and impact of overweightKirsi H Pietiläinen
Obesity Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finnish Twin Cohort Study, Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Obesity (Silver Spring) 17:1208-14. 2009..Overweight associated with significant lipid profile changes, particularly, small HDL3c increased in overweight independent of genetic influences...
- Physical inactivity and obesity: a vicious circleKirsi H Pietiläinen
Obesity Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Obesity (Silver Spring) 16:409-14. 2008..Physical activity (PA) begins to decline in adolescence with a concomitant increase in weight. We hypothesized that a vicious circle may arise between decreasing PA and weight gain from adolescence to early adulthood...
- Effects of acquired obesity on endothelial function in monozygotic twinsKirsi H Pietiläinen
Obesity Research Unit, Department of Psychiatry Helsinki University Central Hospital, Helsinki, Finland
Obesity (Silver Spring) 14:826-37. 2006....
- Acquired obesity increases CD68 and tumor necrosis factor-alpha and decreases adiponectin gene expression in adipose tissue: a study in monozygotic twinsKirsi H Pietiläinen
M Sc, Obesity Research Unit, Biomedicum Helsinki, C428a, P O Box 700, FIN 00029 HUS, Finland
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91:2776-81. 2006..Both acquired and genetic factors regulate adipose tissue function...
- Acquired obesity is associated with increased liver fat, intra-abdominal fat, and insulin resistance in young adult monozygotic twinsKirsi Hannele Pietiläinen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E768-74. 2005..55, P = 0.015) but not liver (r = -0.20, P = 0.20) fat. We conclude that acquired obesity is associated with increases in intra-abdominal and liver fat and insulin resistance, independent of genetic factors...
- Growth patterns in young adult monozygotic twin pairs discordant and concordant for obesityKirsi H Pietiläinen
The Finnish Twin Cohort Study, Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, Finland
Twin Res 7:421-9. 2004..Young adulthood represents a critical period of gaining weight irrespective of genetic background in this twin sample...
- Genetic and environmental influences on the tracking of body size from birth to early adulthoodKirsi H Pietiläinen
University of Helsinki, Department of Public Health, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Obes Res 10:875-84. 2002..This study identified genetic and environmental influences on the tracking of body size from birth to 16 to 18.5 years of age...
- Tracking of body size from birth to late adolescence: contributions of birth length, birth weight, duration of gestation, parents' body size, and twinshipK H Pietiläinen
Department of Public Health, University of Helsinki, PO Box 41, FIN 00014 Helsinki, Finland
Am J Epidemiol 154:21-9. 2001..These findings suggest that the intrauterine period has enduring effects on later body size but leave unresolved whether these effects are genetic or environmental...